Now that crock-pot season is here, I find myself using mine ALL the time. On Sunday afternoon, I made a big batch of apple cinnamon steel-cut oatmeal in my crock-pot, so breakfast was especially quick, easy, and delicious this week. All I had to do was pop my oatmeal in the microwave for a couple of minutes and breakfast was done. Simple as that!
Thanks to some mighty filling steel-cut oats + coconut milk and the magic of slow-cooking, this batch of oatmeal turned out so incredibly thick and creamy. It stuck to my ribs and kept me full for hours, right up until lunchtime, no problem. And, of course, I loved all of the wonderful flavors of the season in my daily bowl of oatmeal: apples, cinnamon, vanilla, almonds, and pumpkin seeds. Mmm! I truly enjoyed my mornings this week!
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (rolled oats would probably work too)
- 1 can coconut milk (~13.5 ounces)
- 2.5 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 1.5 cups chopped apples (any variety would work)
- 1 tsp cinnamin
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional – depends how sweet you like your oatmeal)
- chopped walnuts, almond slices, pumpkin seeds, etc. (optional)
- pinch of salt
Directions: Combine above ingredients in a crock-pot. Stir, cover, and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
Or portion into microwave-safe containers for the easiest, quickest, and most delicious breakfast ever!
Recipe makes 4 servings.
Quick note: By the end of the week, my oatmeal got kind of sticky and gooey, so I stirred in some milk to make it creamy again. Worked like a charm!