• In the Name of Science: 4 Days of Meals & Snacks

January 19, 2016

As you guys might remember, I am participating in a study about how diet affects ulcerative colitis. I’m in the control group, so I’m just eating the way that I usually do. But since I need to track exactly what I consume four out of seven days of the week, I thought you guys might be interested to see what my meals and snacks look like. I actually thought about posting each day separately, but I think seeing them together gives you a much better idea. Enjoy!

what a runner crossfit mom ibd fighter eats

SUNDAY

B: 2-Ingredient Pancake with 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts +1 tablespoon of Teddie peanut butter and 16 ounces decaf iced coffee with 1/2 cup vanilla coconut milk

W: 5 miles on the treadmill

S: 1/4 of chocolate glazed donut

SAMSUNG CSC

L: 4 ounces of grilled salmon with 1 cup mixed stir fry veggies, 3 cups steamed spinach, 1/2 cup shelled edamame, and 1/4 of an avocado

SAM_6852 (1280x853)

S: 2 Peanut Butter Protein Balls + 8 ounces of iced coffee with 1/4 cup vanilla coconut milk

SAMSUNG CSC

S: 3/4 cup Peanut Butter Puffins + 1 cup Rice Chex + 1/2 cup vanilla coconut milk

SAMSUNG CSC

D: Vegetarian Shepard’s Pie (1/2 cup black beans, 1/2 cup mixed veggies, 1/4 cup shelled edamame, 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes, 1 tbsp crumbled feta)

S: 2 Medjool dates

S: 1 rice cake with 1 tbsp sunflower butter + peppermint tea

MONDAY

B: Oats in a Jar (1/3 cup oatmeal + 1 tbsp hemp hearts + 1 tsp chia seeds) + 2 tbsp Teddie peanut butter and 16 ounces decaf iced coffee with 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk

S: 1 Peanut Butter Protein Ball

W: CrossFit

S: 1 scoop SFH vanilla Recovery protein powder + 1/4 cup iced coffee + water

S: 1 hard-boiled egg with salt and pepper

SAM_6868 (1280x853)

L: 3 cups mixed greens with 1/2 avocado + 2 tbsp lime juice and 1 can of tuna with 2 tbsp sweet relish

SAMSUNG CSC

S: 1 cup Peanut Butter Puffins + 1/2 cup Rice Chex + 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk

SAMSUNG CSC

D: 2 eggs + 2 whites + 2 cups of baby spinach + 2 tbsp crumbled feta + 1 tbsp nutritional yeast

S: 3 Medjool dates with 1 tbsp chocolate chips

S: 1/2 rice cake with 1/2 tbsp sunflower butter + cinnamon

TUESDAY

B: 1/3 cup oatmeal + 1 tbsp hemp hearts + 1 tsp chia seeds + 1 tbsp Teddie peanut butter and 8 ounces decaf iced coffee with 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk

SAMSUNG CSC

S: 1 Peanut Butter Protein Ball + 16 ounces Marylou’s decaf white chocolate chip iced coffee with milk and sugar

B2: 1/2 cup liquid egg whites + 1 cup baby spinach + 1 tbsp nutritional yeast

SAMSUNG CSC

L: 1.5 cups Light & Creamy Chickpea Salad with Brussels Sprouts (recipe on CNC soon!)

S: 1 Peanut Butter Protein Ball

S: 1/2 cup leftover Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie

SAM_6927 (1280x853)

D: 1 cup brown rice + 1/2 cup black beans + 1/2 cup roasted zucchini + 2 tbsp guacamole

S: 3 Medjool dates + 1 tbsp chocolate chips

S: 1 serving (~ 10 pieces) dried apple rings

S: 1 serving (~33 pieces) of Trader Joe’s cheese curls

WEDNESDAY

1/3 cup oatmeal + 1 tbsp hemp hearts + 1 tsp chia seeds + 2 tbsp Teddie peanut butter and 16 ounces decaf iced coffee with 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk

W: KFIT

S: Hard-boiled egg with salt and pepper

L: 1/2 cup brown rice + 1/2 cup chickpeas with Brussels sprouts and feta + 1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes + 2 tbsp guacamole

S: 1 FlapJacked Double Chocolate Mighty Muffin

SAMSUNG CSC

D: 8 ounces canned chunked chicken + 2 tbsp guacamole + 1 tbsp sweet relish and 1 serving Simply 7 Lentil Chips

S: 1/4 cup microwaved apple chunks with cinnamon

S: 5 ounces Sauvignon Blanc

SAMSUNG CSC

S: 1 cup Peanut Butter Puffins + 1/2 cup Rice Chex + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Brynn January 19, 2016 at 5:22 am

How great you get to participate in a ulcerative colitis study! It will be interesting to hear the findings. And I’m with you on dates- yum!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 19, 2016 at 6:12 am

Very interesting! I will be curious what the results are of the study! I also never saw someone drink their protein shake with coffee. I may need to try that!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 19, 2016 at 6:34 am

Lots of good food! Haven’t had dates or OIAJ in forever!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 19, 2016 at 7:27 am

This is giving me so many good ideas! I need to try making a couple different dinners with enough for leftovers – I tend to eat the same thing for lunch and then another thing for dinner all week. It gets a little dull… haha.

Joanna January 19, 2016 at 8:00 am

I made the PB balls on Sunday and they are so good! I have been wanting to make some, but every recipe I found called for using the blender and I just did not want to put that much effort into them. So your recipe was so easy! I substituted agave because I have a ton of it in the house and feel like I need to use some up!

Tina January 19, 2016 at 8:04 am

So glad you like them! They are definitely a go-to for me!

Catherine Cormier January 19, 2016 at 8:11 am

Why I have never thought to stuff my dates with choc. chips? Guess I know what I’ll be having for a snack tonight 🙂

The chickpea and Brussels sprout salad looks and sounds super yummy so I can’t wait for you to share the recipe.

Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com January 19, 2016 at 8:27 am

You eat so creatively! I’m horrible and eat pretty much the same things every day except for dinner.

Taylor January 19, 2016 at 8:27 am

Love these kinds of posts!! Dates are one of my favorite snacks too!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby January 19, 2016 at 8:44 am

Those chips look like yogurt! It’s pretty awesome your participating in this study, even if you are in the control group your providing valuable information that will hopefully help so many people! I think this post alone helps so many people, keep up the good fight and the healthy (balanced) eating!

Leianna January 19, 2016 at 8:52 am

I love all the iced coffee. I started drinking it ALL the time after reading your blog all the time. Now I drink it all the time!!!!

Ellen Renee January 19, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Same here!! I never drank coffee at all until I started getting a craving for an iced coffee every time Tina would have one….now years later…drink it hot or iced…but have to have it!

Bonnie January 19, 2016 at 9:26 am

Love seeing people’s food! And I like the breakdown of all your roles – mom, crossfire, ibs fighter, etc! But my main takeaway from this post? “What happened to the other 3/4 of that chocolate glazed donut?!” 😉 That’s some great will power and “intermittent sampling” (which I’m working on a la Jill Coleman if you follow her at all)! 😀

Molly January 19, 2016 at 12:43 pm

@Bonnie: That’s what I was thinking?! There’d be no way I would have left the other 3/4 of the donut…even if it wasn’t all that great I probably would have still eaten it!

Kay January 19, 2016 at 7:41 pm

I was thinking the same thing! How did she only eat 1/4 of a donut!?!?!

Jen January 19, 2016 at 9:36 am

I’ve also been trying to reduce meat and majorly up my veg intake, this is a great post!

Jen @ Pretty Little Grub January 19, 2016 at 9:47 am

That deconstructed sweet potato shepherds pie looks amazing!

Jennifer @ Peacefully Fit Fellowship January 19, 2016 at 9:49 am

Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes is one of my favorite combos!! Glad to see someone else enjoys it too. I always get weird looks in the office. 🙂

Chelsea@TableForOne January 19, 2016 at 10:04 am

I love how simple and balanced your dinners are! They seem like a breeze to throw together. I am going to take some inspiration from you this week (:

Jill January 19, 2016 at 10:19 am

Just curious – you seem to be drinking a lot of decaf coffee. Is that related to the study? Or are you just trying to cut back on caffeine? I often wonder how much caffeine is too much and there seem to be a million studies that contradict each other on this subject.

Tina January 19, 2016 at 10:55 am

It’s not related to the study. I find if I have too much caffeine, it upsets my stomach, so I typically stick to decaf.

Megan January 19, 2016 at 12:59 pm

That’s really interesting to me because I’m currently experiencing frequent upset stomachs and I think it may be related to caffeine. Have you always had decaf? What made you switch? On a related note, since I’m trying to identify problem foods that irritate my stomach, I recall you used to use hot sauce a lot as a condiment – did that ever bother you? I love hot sauce on my eggs but I’m wondering if that might be a trigger too. Thanks!

Tina January 19, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I actually stopped eating so much hot sauce, and I *think* it’s helped me. It’s hard to know for sure though.

Megan January 19, 2016 at 1:33 pm

@Tina: That’s really interesting. My stomach has been really sensitive lately and I’m wondering if caffeine is irritating it. How did you figure out it was bothering you? On a related note, I recall you used to use a lot of hot sauce but don’t anymore. I love hot sauce on my eggs, but I think it may be a trigger too. Has it ever irritated your stomach?

Oldman January 19, 2016 at 10:25 am

Are you gluten free in your diet? If so, what do you do about carbs for training?

Tina January 19, 2016 at 10:54 am

I’m not gluten-free and eat lots of carbs (oats, rice, beans, sweet potatoes, veggies) as you can see! 🙂

Rebecca Jo January 19, 2016 at 10:31 am

This is all so interesting to me… some great ideas too – I need to go get some Vanilla coconut milk now & try that in my coffee!

& love that salad with the edamame, Avacado & Salmon. That sounds AMAZING!

Its interesting to me how you have IBD & eat so much fiber. I think everyone gets so afraid fiber causes issues but it tends to balance everything out, doenst it?

Ruth Deaton January 19, 2016 at 10:49 am

Totally excited for that Chickpea Salad you’ll be sharing soon! 🙂 Looks absolutely delicious

Kate January 19, 2016 at 11:29 am

Thanks for posting! I recently started crossfit (I’m a runner too), so I was curious about how you eat throughout the day since you have a similar fitness routine. I also love to snack/eat frequently rather than eat huge meals.

Can’t wait to try the chickpea salad recipe!

Heather@hungryforbalance January 19, 2016 at 11:37 am

I love posts like these! I can’t wait to hear the results of the study! I was diagnosed IBSC a few years ago and I know that diet is a huge piece of the puzzle- one I haven’t quite figured out yet.
    I can’t wait for that recipe!

Anna January 19, 2016 at 11:39 am

Thanks for sharing, Tina! Always interesting to see what someone else eats who is dealing with a chronic condition. If caffeinated coffee upsets your stomach, you might want to try maté. It’s low fodmaps and non irritating despite having low caffeine. My husband swears by it!

Katey b January 19, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Wow you are amazing at eating veggies!!! Me, not so much.

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole January 19, 2016 at 3:08 pm

You do such a good job of including all of your nutrients without making things boring! I so want to try some of these!!

Heidi Kokborg January 19, 2016 at 4:41 pm

You have to share what the study shows once it’s done. It sounds interesting. And it’s such a good idea to share your eats with us. Your overnight oats looks so yummy!

Bethany January 19, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Love these posts for great meal ideas. I tend to get in a boring routine.

Joanna January 20, 2016 at 5:16 am

Hi Tina,

I have been following you for 5 years now and you are still awesome. I am also a runner, a crossfitter and mom of 3.
    I love your meals and workouts you post. I need to ask why the Nutrionist yeast into your eggs?

Tina January 20, 2016 at 6:16 am

Because it’s so tasty and so nutritious! You should try it!

Jennifer January 20, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Do you know approx. how many calories you eat in day? This looks like a much smaller amount than I thought you would eat. I am trying to figure out how much I should be eating to get abs … I am now thinking its a lot less than I normally eat! Thanks.

Tina January 20, 2016 at 8:06 pm

I’m not really sure. It depends on the day and how much I exercise/how hungry I am. But if I had to guess, I’d say 2,000 – 2,500 per day.

Jess January 21, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Thanks for sharing! Where do you find nutritional yeast? I haven’t been able to find it in a store in central mass.

Tina January 21, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I buy mine from Amazon!

Libby February 4, 2016 at 8:02 am

Thank you so much for sharing this Tina! I would love to see more of your meals…Have a great week!