• Row With It

May 28, 2014

Hello, hello! How’s your day going so far?

Breakfast

I started my morning with my favorite breakfast of the moment: cinnamon raisin toast with Teddie Peanut Butter and banana slices and a glass of Marylou’s white chocolate chip iced coffee with almond milk. Delish!

SAMSUNG CSC

After breakfast, I did a bunch of work and then headed out to Target to buy a few things, including some frames for the new artwork for Baby Haupert’s room. How adorable are these dinosaur prints?! As soon as I saw them, I knew we needed them for the nursery.

Lunch

After my trip to Target, I threw together a quick lunch, which was scrambled eggs with leftover roasted sweet potatoes. It was an easy, nutritious, and delicious lunch!

scrambled_eggs_and_roasted_sweet_potatoes_for_lunch

After lunch, I chowed down on a bunch of peanut M&Ms, which I just cannot stop eating. Mal put the bag in the fridge, and I swear they taste so much better cold!

So, the other day, I stumbled upon a little blurb in a magazine about indoor rowing as a new group exercise class. Has anyone tried this? Apparently, you can burn up to 850 calories in a hour, and I actually kind of believe it.

Rowing is HARD! We do it at CrossFit all the time, and it’s definitely tougher than other forms of cardio exercise, even running, in my opinion. When we’re given the option of running or rowing in a workout (say if it’s raining outside), almost everyone in the class chooses to run, including myself, because it’s so much easier. Basically, rowing is no joke!

I think I would really love a rowing class in a group setting. It would definitely make it even more of a challenge!

IMG_9558-900x675_thumb1

Bored at the gym? Try this rowing workout!

Questions of the Day

What do you think of rowing? Love it? Hate it?

Would you ever try a rowing class?

amrapcindy May 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Rowing is no joke! I don’t love it, but I know it’s a great workout. I don’t really love any form of cardio, to be honest. I do love that rowing is a lower-impact exercise and it’s a great way to keep moving when it’s too cold to run in Minnesota!

Ellen May 28, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I rowed in college for four years. LOVE being out in the water on the boat at dawn…very peaceful. I HATED rowing on the machine…worst thing ever…I would run 5 miles any day over using the machine. The only thing I would say is becareful of your posture when you are using the machine, you have to sit very straight, and rember all the power comes from your legs not your arms.

Nicki May 28, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Maybe rowing would get Baby H here! ;) I’ve heard of rowing studios, there are actually quite a few here in NYC which seem to have taken off based on CrossFit popularity! One is even owned/managed by a box in the city. I’ve never taken a class and don’t intend to, as being 4’10” makes rowing literally my worst/least favorite movement!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 28, 2014 at 2:07 pm

That would definitely be more fun–rowing with others in a group fitness class–versus on my own!

fingers crossed you get to meet your baby soon!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 28, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I think rowing is great workout! I love how it challenges my upper body!

Annie Atherton May 28, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I actually love rowing… but I am a big girl, and running just hurts all over. I did Murph on Monday and instead of 1 mile runs, I did 2000m rows

lexa May 28, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Love and hate rowing. It is a great workout and love to see how much I can push myself but man am I winded. I would take running over rowing any day. I am 7 months prego now so I take it a little slower and I like the rower much better. Also, everytime I see your raisin bread I want it and end up having it for an after dinner snack.

Tina May 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Raisin bread is the bomb! ❤️❤️❤️

Devonshire May 28, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I’ve never tried rowing but, i would love to!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 28, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Mmmm, peanut M&M’s are so addicting! Love those things.

Seriously, rowing is NO joke! I like the idea of rowing in a group fitness setting. It makes me think of a cycle class a little bit. The group fitness atmosphere is always motivating and encouraging!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 28, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I love freezing my chocolate. It takes longer to eat, but it’s so much more satisfying, especially in the summer.

I wanted to row in college until I found out I had to be up at 3:00am. I didn’t think that would coincide very well with late night homework…bet it would be kind of a fun (albeit hard) workout, though!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit May 28, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Oh yes, I would totally try a rowing class, that actually sounds fantastic!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance May 28, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Rowing is majorly taking off with studios dedicated just to rowing opening. I think it is super hard and would choose running any day over rowing!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 28, 2014 at 3:14 pm

omg peanut m&ms are like crack to me – so addicting! I love them

Tina May 28, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Seriously! Someone needs to take the bag away from me!!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} May 28, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Rowing solo can be kinda boring to me, so rowing in with a group would be awesome! I would love to try something out like that.

Lily@findingmyhappymedium May 28, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Rowing is so hard! I loved/hated it during WODs and I imagine a class would be awesome and killer. I can’t wait to get back to exercising after I’ve healed from birth and I would definitely try a rowing class!

Liz May 28, 2014 at 3:30 pm

The gym at the university where I went to grad school offered rowing classes. They were really fun! I would NEVER use the rowing machines on my own in the gym, but the group setting was really motivating. The class incorporated lots of intervals and races. The format reminded me of a spin class but with rowers instead of bikes!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee May 28, 2014 at 3:32 pm

We have a rowing class once a week at my CrossFit box! They call it: “RowFit”. I hate rowing but I need to get better so I’ve been a few times and it is seriously great. It is taught by one of our coaches who is also a rowing coach – technique, tabata rowing, etc. You are right that it is often harder than running or WODs… but it’s also a great because you aren’t pounding on your legs like usual. Okay, rowing ramble done :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 28, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I SO agree with you on the cold M&Ms. Our favorite are the pretzel M&M’s and we always keep in them in the refrigerator – SO much better!

Tina May 28, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Mmm! I love the pretzel ones!

Brynn May 28, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I love rowing but often get bored, so I think a class would be a great option!

Shel@PeachyPalate May 28, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I’ve never gotten in to it! Been trying to do even 5 minutes after other cardio to introduce it but I’m so slow!!! Any tips for improving?

Hilary May 28, 2014 at 4:06 pm

My gym at school didn’t have a rowing machine and you know what I have never tried it, I think it is going to be a must for fridays workout!

Britters May 28, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Those dinosaur prints! I heart dinosaurs so much and am so happy to see them going in the baby’s room. Way to go! I hope I have a baby someday that I can force dinosaurs on. Dinosaurs and glitter. :)

Laura @ RunningJunkie May 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Rowing is a seriously hard workout. I should really do it more often. I actually hate any cardio except running. I’m sure doing it in a class setting would make it more fun though!

sarah May 28, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Def believe it. I was a coxswain for the men’s rowing team in college. We would row 20k+ Meters on the machines mixed with sprints and distance. Two hours basically straight. It was the best shape I think I will ever be in in my life.

Molly May 28, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I hate rowing. I would much rather use the stairmaster for half an hour than have to use the rower for 10 minutes (which is all I can take before I go crazy). I’m not sure what it is – I listen to my iPod and really try to keep going, but I stare at the clock which makes it go so much slower.

I love M&M’s! Pretzels or Peanut Butter are probably my favorites. I think I read in Health that the pretzel ones are a “healthier” treat – so that totally makes it ok for me to buy a bag every time I go to the store <—I wish! I love to freeze my chocolate – I keep dark chocolate chips in the freezer for breakfast/snack mix-ins or just to gobble down on their own!

I need to find this bread! The Peanut Butter & Co. makes this delicious cinnamon raisin peanut butter that is to die for – sadly I've only been able to find it at one or two stores and their stock is always very limited – I need a new jar STAT!

Baby H is going to have the BEST room! ((And parents and brother, of course!))

Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 28, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Rowing intimdates me! But a class would be a cool way to get started. My upper body needs it no doubt.

Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? May 28, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I have never heard of a rowing class. That would be more fun. I always get bored on the row machine after a few minutes. It is a great workout though! Full body!

Livi May 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I would try rowing for sure! But I need to work on my form before I could do it too intensely!

Miriam May 28, 2014 at 5:38 pm

The only thing better than peanut M&M’s in the fridge is…
    PEANUT M&M’s THAT HAVE BEEN IN THE FREEZER.
    Seriously. I had to stop.

I rowed crew in college on the Charles and pride myself with only falling off the dock and into the water once.

Abi@AbsofSteel May 28, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I tried rowing for a bit once. I liked it but I feel like I don’t like it enough to replace my other workouts with it. I’m sure I’ll try it again in the future though so maybe I’ll change my tune.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake May 28, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Gosh, I love peanut m&m’s after they’ve been sitting in the fridge getting all cold. So much better. Never tried rowing before…would be quite interesting to try though. I think I would like it

Lindsay @ lifting in lilly May 28, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Rowing is definitely SO tough… At crossfit this morning, the wod started with a 50 calorie row- doesn’t sound bad, but it was intense right from the start!

Eva May 28, 2014 at 7:14 pm

i love rowing! my college gym only has one rowing machine so it’s not always up for grabs. my rowing workouts usually consist of 6 or 7 speed intervals ranging from 300 – 1000 m, and i would say i push myself about 80-90% for them, but i don’t feel like i actually generate too much power…. so maybe i love it because i don’t do it completely right ;)

i’d love to try an indoor rowing class though! would show me the ropes a bit more

Christina (Sisters Running the kitchen) May 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Hey Tina! yes I have done rowing classes. They have them in philly. I lived in manayunk for 2 years and they had this studio called RowZone. Rowing (erging) is tough!!! I used to be on my HS crew team. IT was the death machine as we called it. I believe that calorie count too! I am sure they have rowzones (or places like it) up by you right? its a Crew area!

Andrea May 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Tina–just wanted to take a minute to wish you all the best with your labor & delivery. You or Mal will keep us posted right?! The weeks before my firstborn decided to arrive (2 weeks late I might add) were the most wonderfully suspenseful of my life so as excited as you are to meet your little peanut, enjoy every second of this special time of your life!

Tina May 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Thank you! ❤️

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 28, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I’ve never done rowing but I am curious about it. I got on a rowing machine at my gym recently and felt a little confused on how to use it. Need to figure it out because I felt silly!

Bezzymates May 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Rowing is very challenging. You are engaging your entire body. The core, legs, arms and back are all working. Basically, no body part is able to rest. It’s a great workout though.

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna May 28, 2014 at 8:58 pm

peanut butter banana toast is the best! and that white chocolate chip coffee sounds amazing. next time i find myself on the east coast i’m finding my way to a marylou’s, stat!

Megan May 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Rowing as a group fitness class would definitely be awesome! When I row on my own (which is rarely) I know I am probably not pushing myself as hard as I could. A group class with motivate me so much more. And 850/hr calorie burn? Count me in! Good find. I’ll be looking out!

Brittany May 29, 2014 at 12:55 am

Indoor rowing was my life in college! I even won the gold at some indoor rowing championships! I lost about 25 pounds all thanks to the erg! Highly recommend this exercise, but people need to learn the proper technique or they could get injured (as with any form of exercise) and look really, really silly. :P Rowing with other people is a huge motivator, so a rowing class has to be amazing!

Lisa @ Exercise eat repeat May 29, 2014 at 6:04 am

No i am not that keen on rowing machines as it is so hard work but a class might make me more motivated to do it!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 29, 2014 at 7:07 am

I swear MOST chocolate is better cold – whether fridge or freezer!

Tina May 29, 2014 at 7:25 am

So true!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape May 29, 2014 at 11:22 am

I love rowing! I get sooo excited when I see the WOD involves rowing!

But I hate running! I wish I had the choice to sub for rowing! :-)

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork May 29, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Peanut M&Ms are my favorite! I like to think that they’re “healthy” because of the extra protein. ;-)
    Rowing is hard! I like to mix it in with cardio days. Basically, I’ll hop on 2-3 different machines for 10-15 minutes each. I don’t think I could stay on a rower for longer than that! My tailbone starts to hurt (could be my form, I suppose).

Kelsey at The Primal Yogi May 29, 2014 at 1:37 pm

In my head I always think rowing is going to be the easier option (as opposed to running) but then realize about one minute in that it’s going to be a tough work out!

sally @ sweat out the small stuff May 29, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I love the rowing machine at the gym. I hate that there’s only 1. It’s a great way to get my arms in the action. They tend to get neglected =)

I also love peanut m+ms! MMMM refigerated makes them better fo-sure!

Jess May 29, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’ve never tried rowing and am super-intimidated to try it, but never say never.

Shawna May 29, 2014 at 4:12 pm

i haven’t done a rowing class but i did crew club in college for a year and loved it!