Good morning, friends!
Here are some words of wisdom from Bill Nye (the Science Guy) to start your Friday off on the right foot:
Don’t you love that? We have so much to learn from each other.
Last night, I went to CrossFit to prepare for Open WOD 13.4, which is a short 7-minute workout of an ascending ladder of increasing reps of clean and jerks and toes-to-bar. Not too bad, right? Well, the weight for women is 95 pounds, which is heavy for me. My 1RM is only 100 (awhile ago, but still), so 95 is going to be tough.
Our coaches programmed an entire class with a mini WOD (AMRAP 4: 5 C&J + 5 2TB) to give us some practice for 13.4, which most of our box is doing “for real” on Saturday.
A few takeaways and tips from last night:
- Since 95 pounds is close to my max, my coach suggested dropping the bar after each clean and jerk instead of trying to bring the bar back down. I definitely can’t touch and go with this weight.
- Try different grips on the T2B. One of our coaches had us try a mixed grip as well as an opposite grip (palms facing body) to give us some different options for the workout. I thought both of them were kind of weird, so I don’t plan to change my grip for the WOD, but I’m glad I gave them a try. I didn’t even know they were options until last night.
- Make sure feet swing back behind bar and body on T2B (full range of motion)—otherwise, it’s a no-rep!
- Transition wisely. Walk from the bar to the pull-up bar. Chalk-up. When you get off of the pull-up bar, take a deep breath before picking up the bar again.
- Stretch and roll-out forearms before WOD to help prevent grip failure.
- Use hook grip to save grip strength for T2B.
- Pace yourself. This workout will get intense!
After the WOD, a bunch of us were hanging out and chatting, like we normally do, when someone suggested getting Chipotle for dinner. Brilliant idea! Burritos with friends sounded a lot better than shrimp stir fry from the freezer, so Mal and I were immediately on board.
Inside my burrito: chicken, rice, black beans, salsa, lettuce, guacamole, and tons of hot sauce. Holy yum!
We ended up staying at Chipotle until almost 9:30 PM last night, and then I stayed up watching TV with Mal until almost midnight, so I ended up getting hungry again and snacked on some mixed nuts before bed.
Question of the Day
Do you like burritos? What are your favorite ingredients?
CrossFit friends: Do you have any tips/advice/strategy for 13.4? Has anyone done it yet?