• 3-Ingredient Meal: Cheesy Garlic & Herb Brussels Sprouts with Sausage

March 14, 2013

Last night, I was not in the mood to cook dinner. I was hungry, but I didn’t want to put any effort into make a “real” meal. I ended up throwing together some veggies, meat, and cheese, and it (surprisingly) turned out really well, so I just had to share the recipe.

Introducing…

Cheesy_Garlic_&_Herb_Brussels_Sprouts_with_Sausage_

OMG, it was so good! And insanely simple to make! Check it out…

Just 3 ingredients:

• 10 ounces of shaved Brussels sprouts (TJ’s sells them bagged)
    • 6 ounces of your choice of sausage, sliced
    • 5 wedges of The Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb cheese

Ok, you need some olive oil too, but you probably already have some in your kitchen, right? Thought so. Good.

024

To make this dish: Cook the sausage in a large skillet for a few minutes.

027

And then add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the shaved Brussels sprouts.

028

Cook for 5-7 minutes until Brussels sprouts are bright green and a little brown on the edges.

034

While the Brussels sprouts and sausage are cooking, unpeel 5 wedges of Light Garlic & Herb cheese and add them to a large mixing bowl.

032

When the Brussels sprouts and sausage are finished cooking, pour them immediately into the large bowl, so the heat softens the cheese and stir everything together.

038

Voila! Just like that you have a delicious dinner in no time at all! Enjoy!

045

What’s your favorite go-to meal when you just don’t feel like cooking?

Kelly March 14, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I always have frozen bananas and make banana ‘ice cream’. For my boys, whole grain pasta w/ olive oil, herbs, seasalt. Would LOVE to see more dairy free vegan recipes on your blog!

Monica March 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Brown rice (I make a big batch then freeze in 1/2 cup sizes), black beans (rinsed), sliced onions and peppers (I like to use orange/yellow/red) saute onions and peppers throw in rice and beans. Season with what you like. And you have a nice filling meatless meal. Can even wrap in a whole wheat tortilla with cheese and salsa-yum!

She Rocks Fitness March 14, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I actually keep frozen slices of Costco pizza already sliced in the freezer. I throw it in the oven + a tray full of roasted vegetables, so everything is done at once. Then top with hot sauce!

Andrea March 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

@She Rocks Fitness:
    What a great idea!! Those pizzas are huge (but delicious!!).

kim craig March 14, 2013 at 8:12 pm

That looks sooo good. Thank you! And I can’t believe that’s what you
    made when you didn’t feel like cooking.

Sara @ sarasmiles March 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

A whole wheat wrap (like I had tonight) or a bowl of cereal!

Sarah March 14, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Breakfast for dinner! We always have eggs and bread, so french toast, or sometime I get crazy and make pancakes! Easy peasy.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Yum! Your sprouts look mighty delish! My go to meal is one or tow things, greek yogurt with lots of fruit or a veggie burrito!

Sue Kauffman March 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm

This looks really good. It makes me wish I liked brussel sprouts. Are there any other veggies you think I could substitute?

Jamee July 28, 2013 at 11:28 am

@Sue Kauffman: My hubby and I don’t like brussel sprouts either, but we both *loved* this meal!!!

Alyssa March 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Leftovers!! ;-)

Fizz @ fizzsbizz.com March 14, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Anything that’s ‘breakfast for dinner’ is usually my go to – egg sandwich, eggs and sausage, omelette, scramble….so basically anything eggs!

Also, have you tried Glutino brand pretzels?? I know you were talking about gluten free foods in a previous post. They are the one gluten free food I’ve had where I’ve actually thought ‘these are better than the original’. Most things you can be like “yeaahhh, not bad for gluten free” but these babies are awesome.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 14, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Yum this looks great I’ve got brussel sprouts in my fridge and I’ve been trying to think of how ill use them up this way looks perfect

Annie @ eatcleaneatreal March 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

This sounds awesome. I have some similar chicken sausage that Im currently obsessed with, and I LOVE ME some brussel sprouts.

My go-to meal is eggs scrambled with some veggies (normally spinach and/or broccoli) and cheese. And some other veggies or sweet potatoes or toast on the side. YUM! In fact, sometimes I make it several nights a week even when I feel like cooking.

cait March 14, 2013 at 9:47 pm

does this serve 1 or 2? or?

Tina March 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

It depends how much you eat! :) I ate it all in 2 servings.

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 14, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Yum! My go to is a bag of steamed veggies topped with shredded cheese and deli meat (usually buffalo chicken!)

Chelsea March 14, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I made this tonight on a whim, and it was FANTASTIC! Couldn’t eat it all, I’d say it serves 2. Thanks for the idea!

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet March 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

This looks delicious! Brussels sprouts are my favorite! I’m going to have to try this!

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy March 14, 2013 at 11:20 pm

This looks delicious! We just had roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic vinegar tonight!

My favorite go-to meal when I don’t feel like cooking is a big “Everything But the Kitchen Sink” Chicken Salad.

Reni@Cheers³ March 14, 2013 at 11:51 pm

This looks so tasty! Laughing cow cheese wedges are awesome! I use them in one of my go to recipes when I don’t feel like cooking:

3 wedges of lite laughing cow cheese
    1 package of frozen broccoli with cheese sauce
    3/4 cup whole wheat pasta

Cook up the pasta, then heat up the broccoli with cheese sauce, stir everything together with the laughing cow wedges. You can even add more frozen broccoli to the mix.

The result is a a yummy (and healthy!) mac and cheese with broccoli for 2.

Angela March 15, 2013 at 1:03 am

We do chicken sausage with Annie’s white cheddar shells and broccoli. So easy and sooooo good!

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss March 15, 2013 at 2:52 am

I’m headed to Trader Joe’s on Saturday, and I’m totally going to pick up some of those shredded brussels sprouts. That recipe looks amazing!

Bruna @ morgbu.com March 15, 2013 at 7:41 am

Sushi! Just have to make rice and roll into whatever is in the fridge!

LINZER March 15, 2013 at 8:13 am

POPCORN!

Art@Fit at Fifty March 15, 2013 at 8:19 am

Looks Good!
    mine is hot air popcorn with spray on butter.
    Art

Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 15, 2013 at 9:08 am

I love making a huge pot of rice, and adding any type of protein (turkey or chicken sausage, tuna, salmon) and then a veggie. Your dish looks so yummy!!

Tiffany March 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

When I read this yesterday, I decided I MUST have it for dinner immediately! It was so yummy and so easy to make!

Katie March 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I am making this in the very near future!

Peach March 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm

It’s been chicken sausage for me too, lately. I’ll roast some brussels sprouts, or quick-saute some zucchini and top it with Rao’s Marinara (organic, only real ingredient jarred pasta sauce). Or make a chicken sausage omelette with a leftover veg. After seeing this? I’ll be buying some laughing cow. :)

Amelia March 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm

The best go-to – Trader Joe’s Cuban Style Black Beans over Trader Joe’s Frozen Brown Rice. I usually add a little feta and sometime hot sauce of the moment. Comforting, really easy and super delicious.

There’s always pizza too – in jazzed up combos. Lately, carmelized onions, suateed mushrooms, goat cheese and maybe some browned butternut squash. I use flat bread of some type. A little sprinkle of thyme goes far too!

Kelly Williams March 18, 2013 at 7:47 am

Looks so delicious.! Hmmm.. Why can’t I stop myself from drooling?

Nicole G. March 19, 2013 at 9:33 am

I just made this last night and it was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is definitely making it into the weekly rotation!!!

Tina March 19, 2013 at 10:11 am

Yay! So glad to hear that!

erin March 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I made this tonight, and it was sooo yummy! I absolutely love your blog :)

Tina March 19, 2013 at 8:24 pm

So glad you liked it! :)

Claire March 24, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I just made this tonight — sooo yummy! I’ve also never bought Laughing Cow cheese or chicken sausage before lol … definitely making it again :)

Tina March 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm

So glad you liked it! :)

Meredith March 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I read your blog all the time (it’s my favorite) but I never comment. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your recipes. I tried this one tonight and it was sooo easy and so good! I’m not celiac but I have a gluten sensitivity and my stomach feels better when I avoid it, so I really appreciate your gf recipes especially!;) Thank you!

Tina March 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! :)

Alexa March 30, 2013 at 1:39 pm

My friends loved it when I served it to them! I love it too, of course! I’m going to try some of your other recipes.

Tina March 30, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Yay! So glad to hear that!!

RM March 31, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’m very excited to make this for my husband! For the record, I tried shaving the brussel sprouts myself…not worth it people, buy them prepackaged.

LOVE this blog, thanks Tina!

Evey April 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I’m making this today for a late lunch!!! I cannot WAIT looks outstanding

Joyce April 10, 2013 at 8:00 pm

DELICIOUS! Just tried it with some leftover rotisserie chicken and substituted the babybel for smoked-salmon cream cheese :D Thanks for the great, easy recipe!

Katherine April 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Just made this and it was AWESOME. i love cheese sauce and so I love that this is healthy!!

xMichelle April 14, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I made this this morning for me and my boyfriend and it was so great! Thanks for the recipe. I did add a slight variation by topping each of our servings with a fried egg because a runny yolk just makes everything better ;)

Christina May 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I’ve had this bookmarked and finally made it tonight. Delicious! I have Crohn’s disease, so healthy easy meals are a must while balancing a busy life

Jamee July 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Just made this – holy MOLY is it delicious!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Maureen August 26, 2013 at 8:23 am

Your recipe inspired THIS recipe I created – http://www.organicallymo.com/2013/08/26/cant-wait-inhale-sprouts-kale/

Tina August 26, 2013 at 8:25 am

Yummmm!

christa September 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I finally made this after pinning it when you posted it and it was DELICIOUS!!! I pretty much hate brussell sprouts and tried it anyway and it was so good. I loved how the brussell spouts took on an almost “almondy” taste and feeling. Such a great easy meal! Thanks!

Christine January 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm

This was delicious! I only had sweet turkey sausage and used light swiss laughing cow cheese. This made eating brussel sprouts surprisingly easy. Thanks!!