• Tying Up Some Loose Ends

February 15, 2013

Hi, friends!

On Sunday, Mal and I are going to Hawaii. Holy crap. I still can’t believe it.

It’s been my dream to visit Hawaii for as long as I can remember (it’s actually #22 on my Life’s To Do List), so I am incredibly excited. The Oahu Visitor’s Bureau invited me on a press trip, and I was able to coordinate the dates with Mal’s school break next week, so he’s coming along.

Oahu
    [image source]

With travel to and from Hawaii, our time in Oahu is only 5 days, but the Oahu Visitor’s Bureau has quite the agenda for us with all sorts of fitness and adventure activities, a luau on the North Shore, and a visit to Pearl Harbor. Obviously, we are psyched.

I’ll be blogging, tweeting, and instagraming all week long. (FYI: If you’re not on Instagram, but want to stay up-to-date with our adventures, there’s an Instagram feed on the main page of CNC.) I also have a couple of guest posts and giveaways planned for next week, so be sure to pop in!

Mal and I are spending this afternoon and evening packing and getting ready for our trip. Tomorrow involves CrossFit (naturally), dropping off Murphy at the dog sitter’s house (I am going to miss his pug face SO much), having dinner with Elizabeth and Nick, and then spending the night at a hotel in Boston since our flight departs at 6:00 AM the next morning. Ahhh, I still can’t believe we’re going to Hawaii!!!! It’s seriously a dream come true!

Ok, now that you know what’s going on, let me tie up a few loose ends from the past couple of days.

First up: cat nuggets (because I’m sure you’re dying to know).

I’m sorry I didn’t fully explain “cat nuggets” in my previous post. I still have no idea why I think those two words together are hysterically funny, but I’ll tell you the story behind it. Well, ok, it’s not much of a story and it’s totally gross, but if you want to read it, feel free.

When Murphy was a puppy, we took him to my mom’s house where he found the cat litter box and proceeded to enjoy some “cat nuggets” from it. As soon as I realized what he was doing, I tried to remove the cat poop from his mouth. It smelled and looked so disgusting, I started gagging like crazy. Mal saw that I wasn’t making any progress, so he stepped in. He was immediately grossed out and started gagging too, but, eventually, he rescued the cat poop from Murphy’s mouth. It was nasty, but we all survived.

cat_nuggets

When Mal was recounting this story a couple of weeks later, he referred to the cat poop as “cat nuggets,” and I friggin’ lost it. I have no idea why, but now the whole cat poop-gagging-laughing hysterically-thing cracks me up. I dunno. I just think it’s funny. Ha!

Next up: Girl Scouts

Remember when I told you that I was kicked out of Girl Scouts/Brownies? Well, the other day, my mom and I reminisced about it, which is how the story ended up in my post, so she sent me a photo of me wearing my full on Brownie uniform walking in our town’s parade. Check out my floodwater pants! Haha! I just had to share.

Girl_Scouts_and_Brownies_1989

The final loose end: No Bake Chocolate Fudge Cookies

I made another batch of these babies yesterday, but I didn’t bother with the boiling method for the dates, and I liked how they turned out so much better. The batter is thicker, so I rolled it into balls and then flattened on wax paper. So much easier and just as delicious!

No Bake Chocolate Brownie Cookies

Off to pack, print out itineraries, clean the house, etc.!

If you’ve been to Oahu, what should we do and where should we EAT?

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Have an amazing trip! I was laughing so hard at your cat nugget story haha!

Babs February 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Murphy’s face looks so cute – he looks ashamed ;)

Vicky February 15, 2013 at 8:50 pm

We call those “kitty roca”. They make for some extraordinarily foul dog breath!

Cheeseburger in Paradise. I realize the ocean breeze and island vacation vibe helped, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never had a better burger and beer!

Ella February 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm

“Kitty roca” oh my gosh that is sooooo disgusting and so hilarious!

Tina February 16, 2013 at 7:34 am

Haha!

Sara February 15, 2013 at 9:01 pm

lol my brother and his girlfriend own a daschund and he’s always getting into the cat truffles

Ella February 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm

“Cat truffles”???!!! I am dying here!!

Michelle February 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Enjoy Hawaii! I’ve only been to Oahu and had such a great time! I would go back in a heartbeat!

Tina February 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Shorebird Restaurant & beach club. If you have time, check out Hanauma Bay and of course, climb Diamond Head. Bonus, if you are out early around the shops near Waikiki Beach, you nought see some high class prostitutes. Lol. Have fun. It really is a beautiful place.

Tina February 16, 2013 at 7:33 am

Ooh, boy! Haha!

luv what you do February 15, 2013 at 10:01 pm

That is one AMAZING invite!
    Enjoy every minute!

Holly February 15, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Go snorkling at Hanauma Bay or go to San Souci Beach http://oceansafety.ancl.hawaii.edu/v/2.0/?i=oahu&shid=4&bch=sanssouci and feed the sea turtles frozen peas. You aren’t allowed to touch them because they’re protected but you can actually swim beside them if you’re lucky enough.

Denise February 15, 2013 at 10:27 pm

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon (married in october 2009 and went to hawaii in july 2009- i was a couple months pregnant) It was a great trip! And we can’t wait to go back! We now have 3 little ones so it will be a while.
    Recommendation is to rent a car one day (at least) and drive to North Shore. It’s a fabulous drive and North Shore is just beautiful!
    Enjoy the trip!

Katie @ skinnyminniemoves February 16, 2013 at 12:03 am

I’m insanely jealous! But have a great time! :)

Angela February 16, 2013 at 12:19 am

I would suggest you rent a car at least one day. You can tour the whole island and get a feel for Hawaii outside the big city. There is a great flea market at Aloha Stadium you can start there. Great for inexpensive souvenirs (check the days). Then you can work your way to the Dole Plantation and work your way North to North Shore and the town of Haleiwa and plenty of shrimp trucks. Just past that town is a reserve that have giant sea turtles you can check out. If you continue around the island you will run into an awesome macadamia nut farm. Along the way you can stop at whatever catches your eye. There are so many small beaches along the way. Then you can work your way back to Waikiki. It makes for a busy day but it really gives you an awesome feel for the island.
    Also down south towards Hanauma Bay there is a blow hole you might want to check out.
    If you haven’t already picked up a copy or heard of them The Hawaii revealed books are great. Each island has one. So you would need a copy of Oahu Revealed. It is definitely worth the money. Have a great time.
    Oh lastly…girls who surf school is great.

Erika February 16, 2013 at 2:48 am

Ohhhhh my goodness the cat nugget story had me cracking up!! If I had a cat I’m 100% positive my dog would try and eat anything left in the litter box. He picks up everything lol.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii…it’s on my list of places to visit.

Melissa February 16, 2013 at 3:49 am

Sooooo… you didn’t ask about island hopping, but I’ve gotta throw it in there! A day on the Big Island would be worth considering. I live here (Big Island, Hawaii) and Volcano National Park is one of my favorite places to spend the day – easy to get exercise and so friggin’ beautiful! . There’s a 4 ish mile crater hike you can do… (Kilauea Iki Crater) down into the crater, across it, up the other side, and around the rim to your starting point. You can trek through a lava tube, and hike over lava to see petroglyphs. Friends of mine were vacationing on Kauai and came over for the day – said it was definitely worth the airfare to hop over and back! Just some food for thought! Oh yeah, speaking of food…. try manapua, malasadas, and musubi. :) Have a terrific time!!!

Katherine February 16, 2013 at 8:33 am
    Ann February 16, 2013 at 8:42 am

Cannot wait to see updates from Hawaii!!!!

Hannah February 16, 2013 at 9:55 am

Tina – do you think prunes will work in those cookies instead of dates?

Tina February 16, 2013 at 11:00 am

I actually tried it with prunes and it turned out well! (I like the dates better though.)

Heidi February 16, 2013 at 9:58 am

That girl scout photo is hilarious! I happen to love your pants!

Dacy February 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hey girl! Im from Oahu, you should go to LEONARDO’S for malasadas. SHAVE ICE from MATSUMOTO’S. POKE, HOUSE OF PANCAKES, etc. Check out http://www.kathyylchan.com , she’s also from oahu and is a food writer. you can check out her honolulu posts there! warning you may gain a few pounds, but of course when you’re on a holiday you will be well prepared haha.

Beth February 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

Azure at the Royal Hawaiian hotel. Super yummy seafood an the restaurant is tucked away off the main drag in Waikiki. Enjoy!

Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails February 16, 2013 at 11:35 am

You must be so excited for Hawaii! We went a few times when I was in high school and (as I’m sure you know), it’s gorgeous. Have a great time!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Some major jealously is happening over here right now. I want to go to Hawaii, too!! ;)

Alyssa February 16, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Omg, Murphy was a nasty, little puppy lmao!! That is a funny story though.

Have fun in Hawaii! Can’t wait for the updates!

She Rocks Fitness February 16, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’ve been to Maui and it was absolutely AMAZING! Have a wonderful trip and soak up the sun, salt water, and enjoy your time together away from the freezing east coast. :)

honeywhatscooking February 16, 2013 at 1:38 pm

OMG Tina, you are so lucky. Hawaii is one of the places on my list too. Sorry I can’t assist you on where to eat and all. Have a blast.. and can’t wait to hear about all the fun things you do. :)

brandee February 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Aloha! We live on the North Shore of Oahu and absolutely love it. If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to get out of Waikiki/Honolulu when you can! It is definitely not the nice part of the island. The waves have been big up here, but if it comes down the best snorkeling on the island is here…either Three Tables or Sharks Cove (don’t let the name scare you!). If you come up here, you must try Opal’s Thai Food…Opal is amazing and the experience of dining there is great. It is way better than the shrimp trucks people try when they come to the North Shore. Definitely get shave ice at Matsumoto’s and when in Honolulu town hit up the Diamond Head Health Food Bar for an Acai Bowl — you won’t be disappointed. It’s pricey, but the best on island. Have fun!

mi-an dela cruz February 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm

gotta eat pancakes with macadamia nut sauuuuuce!!!
    and get garlic shrimp at macky’s shrimp truck on side of the road!!

Kate February 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm

this is so random but i thought youd like it!!! haha

Tina February 17, 2013 at 4:19 am

Haha! Pug loaf is my favorite!

katey February 16, 2013 at 6:09 pm

You should email Michelle G – she lives there and will have lots of good ideas!

katey February 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm

ps. I was a brownie too and the beanie hat never fit over my afro!!

Tina February 17, 2013 at 4:04 am

Haha!

jenna February 16, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I laughed out loud at the Murphy pic with the “cat nuggets” story — he truly looks regretful

Alisa February 16, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Go eat at Tiki’s Bar and Grill, right across from Waikiki Beach. They have the best Mai Tai cocktails (and I’ve tried them at numerous places in Honolulu) and have great Hawaiian grass-fed beef burgers! During happy hour, which starts at 2 every day and goes until 5, you can get Mai Tai cocktails for $5 and they’re normally $9, so it’s a great deal! Also, go eat at Duke’s on Waikiki Beach. Great fish tacos and they make a decent Mai Tai too, but Tiki’s is #1! I was just in Honolulu for the second time two months ago, so everything is fresh in my mind. Also, be sure to get a SUP lesson if you’ve never done it and go on a catamaran ride. Super fun! The North Shore is awesome to venture to if you have time. Waimea Bay is one of my favorite spots.

Jillian of Baby Doodah! February 16, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I was laughing hysterically at your cat nugget story. Hilarious!!!

I hope you have an amazing trip, look forward to the pics!

GreenGirlRunning February 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Cat nuggets is hilarious! My dog is guilty of partaking in the cat nugs himself… so not cool ;)

Can’t wait to hear about your trip! My hubs went to college there and LOVED living there. He got into paddling outrigger canoes while living there and still paddles several times a week 20 years later. If you get a chance check out Outrigger Canoe Club… outrigger canoeing is a huge part of Hawaiian culture and a really cool community of people participate :)

Michelle February 17, 2013 at 12:09 am

Dukes on Waikiki…my fave! Matsumotos shaved ice in Haleiwa with vanilla ice cream in the bottom….a MUST!!! Spend some time at waimea bay…they have a beautiful hike to the waterfall and if the waves aren’t rough you can jump off the rock into the bay!!! Sunset beach up the road is beautiful!!!! Have a blast!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance February 17, 2013 at 11:31 am

I hope you have a safe and amazing trip! Oahu is beautiful!

Sasha Reichart February 17, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Hi Tina! It’s Sasha from Cake Crew. We live on Oahu so feel free to drop me a note if you need recommendations! Hope you enjoy our sweet island as much as we do! I’m sure the Oahu Visitors Bureau will take good care of you!

Tina February 17, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Thank you! :)

Mags February 18, 2013 at 12:22 am

Have a fun and safe trip, can’t wait to read about it.
    Also those cookies look delish, I will need to try them soon.

xoxo
    Mags

Liam Rubel February 18, 2013 at 12:47 am

The story is quite funny. I also freak out when my dog do crazy things like this. Hawaii is a place which you should go at least once in a life time. I would have spent the whole time at the beautiful beaches, drinking coconut water (love the nature)

e February 18, 2013 at 1:14 am

Climb koko head crater (1000 steps up the side of the mountain!!), pearl harbor/arizona memorial, go to kailua town and eat at boots and kimo, makapuu light house trail, eat at liliha bakery, there’s a new raw food restaurant in town too (corner of Ward and Kapiolani blvd), try poke!, there’s a stand-up paddleboard boot camp class at Ala Moana Beach Park in the mornings that is SOOO fun (paddlecore fitness). That’s a must try! Hope you have a car… :)

Jenn February 18, 2013 at 1:24 am

So cool that you’re coming here! It’s kind of hard to think of where to go since I live here, but I tried…
    Where to go:
    – Iolani Palace
    – Kapiolani Community College farmer’s market (Saturday mornings)
    – Valley of the Temples
    – Kualoa Ranch (horseback ride – not a very exciting ride, but nice scenery)
    – a University of Hawaii men’s volleyball game (women’s team is more popular, but it’s men’s season right now)
    Where to eat (places I’ve tried personally):
    – Towne (uses local stuff in innovative ways, kind of expensive)
    – Nobu’s (Japanese fusion, even more expensive, but definitely an experience)
    – Leonards for malasadas
    – Bubbies Ice Cream (mochi ice cream in almost any flavor you can think of)
    Where to eat (places popular among locals):
    – Big City Diner
    – Ono’s Hawaiian Food
    – Zippy’s for chili
    Enjoy your stay in Hawaii! :D

michelle kim February 18, 2013 at 1:50 am

Hawai’ian ice for sure! I really like it with the azuki beans but some people think it’s weird to have sweet beans and dessert together.
    Also, if you can go to that one Hana’uma (spelling is probably all off) Bay to go snorkeling, you totally should. I don’t know how the weather will be and whether it affects the fish, but when I went in May last year, it was quite the experience to see those beautiful fish!

Stacey C February 18, 2013 at 8:26 am

Waaah! Did you have to post a picture of those chocolate cookies after telling a story about cat nuggets!? I can’t make those now, they look like cat nuggets!

Enjoy your trip. I was there 10+ years ago so can’t recall any names to recommend. I just remember thinking how all food was about 3x the price of the same thing on the mainland!

Bobbi February 18, 2013 at 10:00 am

It’s not even 9am on a Monday and I have tears in my eyes from laughing at the cat nugget story. Thanks for that!

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter February 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Haha aw dogs always get into the grossest and weirdest things. Once we came home to my white fluffy dog turned pink, and we soon discovered the fake grapes that were displayed on the coffee table were all popped on the floor! She had hot pink stains all over her face and paws for weeks! And yum those cookies sound delicious, I’ll have to make some!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 21, 2013 at 11:37 am

OMG. “Cat nuggets” are one reason I don’t have cats! My dogs growing up always ate them. Ugh, I’d totally gag if I had to rescue one from my dogs’ mouths. Eww! Have a great trip to Hawaii.