• Adventures at Wegmans

January 29, 2013

After yesterday’s WOD, a couple of my CrossFit friends and I drove to Northborough to visit the Wegmans. It was about an hour away, so we hit up Cumberland Farm for some post-WOD beverages. I added coconut and chocolate syrup and milk to my iced coffee. Mmm!

iced coffee cumberland farms

The three of us had lots to talk about on the drive, so the time passed quickly and, before we knew it, we were pulling into the parking lot of Wegmans. Hooray! We were pumped.

012

The produce section greeted us as we walked through the front door of Wegmans. The space was bright, open, and colorful with a good mix of both organic and conventional produce.

001

For the most part, the produce prices were cheaper than Stop & Shop. Just to give you an idea: bananas were $0.49/pound, sweet potatoes were $0.99/pound, and 4 avocados were $5.99.

003

After shopping the produce section, we found our way to the Mediterranean Bar (olive, hummus, and other deliciousness) and bakery.

006

There were so many amazing options at the bakery. I wanted to try them all! It took me a little while to decide what I wanted (cupcake with tie-dye frosting? mini chocolate dome cake?), but I eventually decided on cookies and bought a couple of them for Mal and me.

wegmans cookies

Other highlights from our trip:

Bulk bins!

007

Freshly ground nut butter.

008

Candy! So much candy!

009

The warehouse of booze!

011

Holy moly, the booze warehouse was massive and it had everything, including a zillion kinds of flavored vodka and my very favorite pumpkin beer.

imperial pumpkin beer

And $6 bottles of wine! Yes, please!

004

We spent about an hour wandering around the store and oooh-ing and awww-ing about things we saw. If I had to describe Wegmans, I’d say it was a cross between Stop & Shop, Whole Foods, and Target. It had all of your usual grocery products along with specialty items and prepared foods, but with some home goods and cooking/entertaining pieces mixed it. I think I even saw some exercise equipment? Anyway, once we finished shopping, we paid for our groceries, put them in the car, and then went back inside to the Market Café for lunch.

014

The Market Café was quite an experience. There were so many food options! There were sandwiches, pizza, and all that jazz, but what I really loved was all of the different salad and hot bars. Everything was the same price per pound, so I helped myself to a little bit of everything.

016

Lunch highlights: curried chicken salad, pulled pork, mac & cheese, roasted veggies, roasted Brussels sprouts and apple salad, General Tso’s chicken, spaghetti squash gratin, baked tofu, and roasted butternut squash. It was a fabulous lunch!

017

And here’s what I bought!

023

Fun stuff:

Tuscan Gorgonzola Dip

028

Garlic Simmer Sauce – going to try it with stir fry!

029

Ground dark chocolate peanut butter

030

Wine + beer

031

Cookie Monster cookie!

020

When I got home, I wanted to try some of my purchases, so I dug into the honey roasted almonds.

026

And then took a couple of bites of the dark chocolate peanut butter, which wasn’t super chocolaty, but still delicious!

032

Snack

A little while later, I snacked on some raw veggies with some leftover basil guacamole (recipe will be on Health tomorrow).

033

Dinner

When dinnertime rolled around, I cooked up some frozen veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and Brussels sprouts), added some roasted chickpeas, and then topped it all with a big scoop of Tuscan Gorgonzola Dip, which was the bomb! I give it an A+.

034

I also ate some roasted sweet potatoes with dinner.

039

For dessert, I devoured Cookie Monster’s face.

045

And then ate a couple of rectangles of Hershey’s chocolate with almonds. Once I start eating sugar, I can’t stop!

046

Health News & Views

When I’m out with my friends at a bar or restaurant, sometimes I just don’t feel like drinking alcohol. Maybe I’m watching my calories or I have plans to work out early the next morning. In this type of setting, I always feel a little awkward if I don’t have a drink in my hand though.

At home or a house party, I usually have plenty of ingredients to make a tasty “mocktail” (an alcohol-free beverage that looks just like a cocktail), but when I’m out with my friends, I don’t readily have coconut water and cherry juice at my disposal.

Of course, I don’t want to miss out on having fun with my friends, so I started to get creative with my drink orders. Here are some of my go-to “mocktails” that you might like too! (I swear, no one will know the difference, but you, and your body will thank you later!)

5 Great Alcohol-Free “Mocktails” to Sip

What new delicious food(s) have you recently discovered?

P.S. Just wanted to share this article that a friend of mine sent me the other day: The Now of CrossFit. The author talks about finding “inner peace through an ass-kicking workout.” I can definitey relate!

BroccoliHut January 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Wow, Wegman’s sounds all kinds of awesome! I want them to come to North Carolina now!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 29, 2013 at 8:14 pm

You made me sad! I miss Wegmans so much! The Bulk Dept. is amazing there!!!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 29, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Awww, this post makes me miss Wegmans so much! Wish they would open a store in NYC.

She Rocks Fitness January 29, 2013 at 8:18 pm

My two favorites from this post are the prices of the “make your own” almond butter and the wine section. So awesome! And I cannot remember the last time I had a cookie monster cookie. I think for one of my birthday parties when I was in elementary school. Jealous! ;)

Haley January 29, 2013 at 8:48 pm

My new favorite find is a Six Rivers Brewery Spicy Ale.. it is delicious with a KICK at the end! http://www.sixriversbrewery.com/

Tina January 30, 2013 at 7:18 am

YUM! I bet I would love that!

Karla @ Foodologie January 29, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I’m insanely jealous you have a wegman’s! When I lived in Central NY for grad school, that was my store! My roommate and I used to go in the middle of study sessions just to get the pumpkin moon pie. If you see it in the bakery section (individually packaged), try them! They’re amazing!

Tina January 30, 2013 at 7:18 am

Pumpkin moon pie sound amazing!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 29, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I’ve been in my local Wegman’s a few times, but have never seriously explored! Clearly, I’m missing out.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I wouldn’t exactly call these healthy, but I recently discovered Chocolate Frosted Mini Wheats. I have a bowl with 1% milk almost every night for dessert. They are so good! And at least they’re giving me fiber! ;)

Megan C. January 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm

The Wegmans in my town opened 3 1/2 years ago. Before that, I used to drive 40 minutes to shop at the closest one. Honestly, it’s the ONLY store where I can get everything I need. The only problem is that it’s in the same shopping center as my gym, so I find myself there at least 3 times a week! I <3 Wegmans!

Tina January 30, 2013 at 7:18 am

You can truly find everything you’d ever want there. It was pretty awesome!

Luv What You Do January 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I think I could move into that store…the bulk bins and $6 wines…amazing!

Tina January 30, 2013 at 7:17 am

Haha! It was pretty amazing! :)

(Un)intentional Happenings January 29, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Raw Brownies and Raw PB cookies… I cannot get enough!

Tina January 30, 2013 at 7:17 am

YUM!

Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. January 29, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Wish my grocery stores were as exciting as half the stores I see on all the blogs I follow.

I think I found $4 bottles of wine at the Walmart in LA in the summer – wowzers!

Jenna January 29, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I didn’t realize how lucky I was until I read your post – Wegmans is the dominant shopping chain where I live and I spend so much time there :) However since I live in NY they do not carry wine/liquor. I absolutely love Wegmans!

Sara @ fitcupcaker January 29, 2013 at 9:53 pm

make your own almond or peanut butter, how awesome!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food January 29, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Fresh nut butter? That’s enough to give the store an A+ from me! What a fun trip with a delicious outcome! :)

AJ January 29, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I’m confused about your sugar comment – I thought you’d conquered that. How do you eat sugar in moderation? (I’m trying to figure out that balance right now).

Tina January 30, 2013 at 6:58 am

I still eat sugar. I just don’t let it control me anymore.

After I ate the cookie, I wanted more sugar, so I ate a couple of pieces of chocolate and then cut myself off. I think splurging is totally fine as long as I don’t let it get out of hand. Back in the day, I would have eaten the chocolate all night long until it was gone. Basically, I had no “off” button when it came to sweets, but now I do.

Gianna M. January 29, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Weyerbacher is a small brewery just 20 minutes from my home!! They have tastings and tours every weekend, so I’ve been before. I love their pumpkin beer, too. :)

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 29, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Oh I want to visit one so bad! The bar is BEAUTIFUL, and the produce looks so healthy and clean!

Khushboo January 29, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Love those Cookie Monster cookies…one day I am going to attempt making the cupcake version of them!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 29, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I am glad to know that I am not the only person who gets excited about grocery shopping! That is exactly how I feel every time that I walk into Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. Now I wish that I had a Wegmans to go to, though!!

All of your purchases look absolutely delicious, but I am especially loving the looks of those honey roasted almonds. I am fairly certain I would have a hard time not eating the entire bag ;)

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement January 29, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Sugar makes me want more sugar….it’s a crazy ride and my sweet tooth is intense. I recently discovered So Delicious plain coconut coffee creamer and it’s helped me kick the coffeemate habit.

Katy January 30, 2013 at 12:06 am

I was so overwhelmed when I went to Wegmans but the selection really is incredible. Unfortunately we didn’t make it to the booze but I have only heard incredible things about the selection!

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet January 30, 2013 at 12:29 am

I’ve discovered the magic of adding cocoa powder to everything. And i mean EVERYTHING!

Fiona Jesse Giffords January 30, 2013 at 6:54 am

Alcohol is should reduced to minimal level when you are in diet or considering weight loss. But like you said it sometimes makes out of the group, so the mocktails are really a good choice for those who are avoiding alcohols.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 30, 2013 at 7:02 am

I always find it so funny how your grocery stores sell booze in the US! :D

jill January 30, 2013 at 7:42 am

Wegman’s will open in Newton this year….we can not wait and it will be a lot closer for you!

Miranda January 30, 2013 at 7:48 am

eggplant puree with roasted garlic…so good on flatbread pizza

Alyssa January 30, 2013 at 9:05 am

If you liked Wegmans, you would LOVE Jungle Jims! I’m going to try to do a post this weekend on our trip :-) Oh and by the way, I tried Kim Crawford Sav Blanc last night at Flemings and almost died it was so good! Buying some this weekend. And…I got on the sugar train too last night…my snack of choice? Justin’s Maple Almond Butter on a spoon with a milk chocolate disc in the center of it…times 10?? oops!

Herbivore Triathlete January 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I love Wegmans! I grew up with the Wegman girls, the original store is in my hometown. I could spend hours in there browsing all the wonderfulness. I actually just went home this past weekend and made my obligatory trip to Wegmans. Love it!!

Kelly@BalancedDaily January 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Wegman’s looks awesome! I think I would get lost in such a big store with so many different items to try. Freshly ground nut-butter, in-store? I think every store should have that. And that Tuscan gorgonzola dip sounds delicious. Well, now I’m hungry. Recently I’ve been experimenting more with plain Greek yogurt. For dinner I’ll mix it with a little balsamic and saltless seasoning and dip veggies in it, or for dessert I’ll throw in some cinnamon, apples and chopped almonds. Love it!

Angela January 30, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I am the year of the dragon and it fits me so well! My year is the Earth dragon and those qualities it described were exactly me… So weird.

Amelia January 30, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Wow, I would go nuts in that candy aisle!!

Alissa January 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I love Wegmans! Never know what kind of new foods I’m going to find there. Also love their sushi, it’s the best.