• A Very Happy Weekend (Part II)

October 1, 2012

And here’s Part II of a very happy weekend!

After CrossFit, Mal and I came home and dillydallied around the house for a few hours and then headed into Boston to meet Elizabeth and Nick for an early dinner at Eastern Standard.

EasternStandard

I hadn’t been to Eastern Standard since bunch after the run I did with TMIRCE, so I was excited to have dinner there.

EasternStandard_001

I had the grilled salmon, which came with potatoes, fennel, and a Dijon-bacon dressing. It was awesome.

I also had a couple bites of Mal’s cheesy potatoes—also delicious.

After dinner, the four of headed to the House of Blues to see Who’s Bad, a Michael Jackson tribute band. After blogging about Madonna and my Life’s To Do List, Meghan told me that Who’s Bad was coming to Boston in a few weeks, and I immediately bought tickets.

Who'sBadMichaelJacksonTributeBand

At the concert, I ordered a seltzer with a splash of pineapple. Yay, mocktails!

Check out the photo-bomber behind Nick! LOL!

20120929_202822 (750x563)

20120929_201430 (750x563)

Who’s Band was absolutely amazing! The lead singer looked, danced, and sang almost exactly like the real Michael Jackson.

And it was quite a performance with a full band, lights, dancers, and multiple costume changes.

They played a ton of my favorites (Thriller was a highlight – loved seeing the dance), so I had a blast singing along and dancing like a freak.

It’s sad I won’t ever get to see the real Michael Jackson in concert, but this show was definitely a great substitute. I’d totally see Who’s Bad again too. It was such a fun time!

Sunday

On Sunday morning, Mal and I woke up early to drive out to our hometown to attend a special memorial Mass for my grandfather. It was also my grandfather’s birthday yesterday, so my grandmother hosted a brunch at her house after. I brought some Paleo Morning Glory Muffins to contribute, and they were a huge hit—all of them got eaten and a bunch of people asked for the recipe!

PaleoMorningGloryMuffins (606x606)

Brunch eats: spinach quiche, potatoes, fresh fruit, Paleo Morning Glory Muffin, and apple cider.

After brunch, Mal and I hung out with my mom, sister, and brother-in-law for a little while before heading home. On the drive, we stopped to pick up the pieces I recently got framed.

troyandabed

And then hung them up. I love how they turned out.

Hey, George! Looking sharp!

GeorgeWashington

Mal and I spent the rest of the evening cleaning, doing laundry, and getting ourselves organized for the start of the week. I love having a clean house on Sunday night. It’s the best feeling.

All in all, a very happy weekend!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Looks like a great weekend! And that photo bomb is priceless… ;)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Sounds like a great weekend! That concert looks like a blast too!

Megan October 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm

your hair looks so shiny!!! Side effect of recent healthy food changes ;) ?

Tina October 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Perhaps! And a recent hair cut! :)

natalie @ will jog for food October 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Looks like such a fun weekend!

I want those cheesy potatoes :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love starting the week with a clean house too…great feeling! I’m making those paleo muffins ASAP. I had actually bookmarked the recipe a few weeks ago and then forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me! Have a great week!

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 1, 2012 at 1:38 pm

How fun! Oh and I love potluck brunches. And muffins. I need to check out that recipe!

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries October 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I always do all my cleaning on Sunday. I love starting the week of with everything neat and organized (even though it never stays that way ;)).

Khushboo October 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Those muffins do look good!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Oooh what a fun weekend! I love a good brunch with family–and yours looks delicious! I gotta try those muffins-mmmm!

I too love starting the week feeling ‘caught up’ <–so nice! I made sure to clean the kitchen spotless :)

Sana October 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Mal’s cheesy potatoes look sooooo good! I would have eaten them all;)

kiki October 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm

super cute pic of you and Mal. The framed pics look great!

Amanda October 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I love a clean house on Sunday night…… And Sunday laundry! It’s nice to start the week off right with all of that out of the way.

Those cheesy potatoes look awesome…….

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles October 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I love haing a clean house to start the week too. Doesn’t happen that often though…I usually clean on Saturday mornings and by Sunday night, we’ve already messed it up again

Katie B October 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I saw Who’s Bad a few weeks ago in upstate NY! I liked the trumpet players the best. They know how to get down.

Tina October 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Agreed! They were so fun!

Sarah October 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Mocktails? Are you pregnant?

Tina October 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm

No, definitely not. My colon is still bleeding, so I’m laying off the booze.

Katerina October 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Mocktails…your hair looks great…low-key workouts…are you preggers!?

Tina October 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Haha! No, I have colitis. Whomp-whomp.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Perfectly balanced weekend! I was a huge Jackson fan as a kid, the only music I listened to really, that band looks awesome! On the pull up thing form part one…got up on the bars the other day…I gave up after a few seconds! Now on a mission to do one!

Andrea October 1, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’ve seen Who’s Bad a few times before and loved it! It took me a long time to figure out that the costume changes were so fast because there were 2 Michael Jackson lead singers. Did you notice that?

Tina October 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm

There was only one our night, but we heard there are typically multiple Michaels!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm

That concert’s probably as close to an MJ concert as anyone’s going to get these days, so I say it totally counts. :-)

Tina October 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm

That’s what I was hoping! :)

Mindy October 1, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Ah, I would love to see a Michael Jackson tribute band! You look awesome.. your arms are killer! Paleo muffins seem to taste way better than regular muffins to me. I always have some type of paleo muffins in our kitchen and my roomate has nicknamed me “Muff” haha!

Tina October 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Haha! Sweet nickname! :)

Maureen @ Organically Mo October 1, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Those Troy & Abed pictures crack me up! Where did you get them? I’d love to surprise my hubby with them!

Tina October 1, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Our friend made them! There’s a link to his website in the previous post! :)

Jenica October 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Congrats on finally starting to decorate the bedroom! They look very nice.

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Ohmygoodness — I would have been ALLLL over that dancefloor!! And singing at the top of my very off-key voice. :) I’m SO glad you got to enjoy it.
    Dinner looked awesome too! Very, very classy.
    I’m sorry to hear of your grandfather, but a memorial is always a time to bond and share what we loved most about our loved ones — I hope it brought back memories of some good times for you.

Marie October 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

What a lovely weekend. We have jut had a long weekend and finally the weather was acting more like summer is coming (although it’s raining again today!). Sorry that you are still not 100% and missing cross fit. I’ve only been doing it for 3 weeks and I now understand how addictive it is. I’ve had to take this morning off as I have hurt my neck (not crossfit related) and I’m already sad!!

Tina October 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Aww, bummer about your neck. Feel better soon!

meghan @ struggle muffins October 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm

A lil delayed here but thanks for the blog love Tina and I’m so happy you liked Who’s Bad! I was supremely bummed to have to miss it this year, it just gets you in such a dance party mood – somuchfun.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 2, 2012 at 7:58 am

I couldn’t focus on the rest of this post after reading “Dijon bacon dressing” – that sounds amazing! :D

Jolynn October 2, 2012 at 11:09 am

Dang Tina, your arms look awesome!!

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 2, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Dijon-bacon dressing?! Holy-yum! I love seeing shows at the House of Blues, it’s a really fun venue and the acts are always great. That Michael Jackson impersonator looks prettttty believable! Love the framed posters, too.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 2, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I am obsessed with Michael and want to see the cover band! I have seen Janet in concert multiple times and their mannerisms, dancing, and singing style is so similar that I know that she is the closest thing to him.

PS. You and Mal are so ridiculously cute!!!