• Haupert Family Party

August 25, 2012

After our golf outing and a little R & R around the house, Mal and I attended a family reunion party. Living on opposite sides of the country, we don’t often see this half of the family, so it was really nice to catch up with everyone.

048 (640x480)

043 (640x480)

Eventually, I took a break from chatting to munch on some appetizers. My pick was veggies with guacamole, which was such a delicious combo. Gotta remember this one too!

041 (640x480)

Once I loaded up on appetizers, I ventured toward the wine. Vacation. Wine. I just couldn’t stay away, soooo…

038 (640x480)

I had a small glass. Ok, I actually enjoyed two “splashes” of wine this size:

040 (480x640)

The party was at a family member’s house right on a golf course, so we took advantage of the beautiful scenery and snapped a family photo with Mal’s parents.

044 (640x480)

Mal also took some time to practice his handstands for CrossFit. He’s getting better!

045 (480x640)047 (480x640)

Then, it was time for dinner!

042 (480x640)

On the menu: grilled flank steak, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, and spinach salad with mushrooms, bacon, and mandarin oranges. Delish!

050 (640x480)

After dinner, I finally caved and enjoyed dessert. I know it’s not part of my new diet, but I couldn’t resist the ridiculous spread of homemade cupcakes, Oatmeal Scotchies, and chocolate chip cookies, so I thoroughly enjoyed the frosting top of a strawberry- and chocolate-stuffed cupcake for dessert. I didn’t go crazy and it was worth every bite, so, hopefully, it didn’t anger my colon too much.

054 (640x480)

I spent the rest of the evening playing board games with Mal’s family. My team (Team 2) beat Mal’s team (Team 1) in a semi-intense, best-out-of-three game of “Catch Phrase.” We made a serious comeback, so it was pretty awesome. Good times!

What’s your favorite board game?

Mine is Scattegories. My brain is super random sometimes, so I usually do pretty well and it’s just fun!

Sana August 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Cheers to a happy colon, hopefully you will kick this thing soon!

Tina August 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I wish! Sadly, it’s something I have to think about for the rest of my life. :(

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 25, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I’m a big fan of Apples to Apples – it always keeps us laughing LONG after we finish playing!!

Also, I’m a fan of the fact that even though you’re following a new diet, you’re willing to be lenient, go with the flow, and treat yourself. (I know that your diet isn’t for weight-loss but for your colon health, but it’s still commendable that you can be flexible.) Kudos to you! :)

Tina August 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Thanks! :) It’s tough, especially on vacation, but I’m determined to get better and get off drugs!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes August 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE Catch Phrase! My extended family always plays it during get-togethers and holiday parties–lots of laughs are guaranteed. Apples to Apples is my other favorite game. I guess neither is truly a “board game,” but I’m not a classic gamer, so that’s fine. ;)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) August 25, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Scrabble!!! Love it! Ah you have to cave sometimes or you’d go mad :)

Khushboo August 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Scattergories is mine too! Although it’s not a board game, I also love Taboo!

Brie @ Coxswain Dilemma August 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Scattegories is my favorite too! Although, when played with the right people, Cranium can be absolutely hilarious.. and Trivial Pursuit when we’re feeling brainy!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm

My favorite game is Clue!!! I love solving riddles/problems

Farah August 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Glad you’re having a great time Tina! I think the fact that you’re taking it physically easy and not doing intense workouts may be helping your body heal too. I hope you keep getting better – and enjoy the rest of your vacation!!

Timmy August 25, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I wish I could do a handstand like that!

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise August 25, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Your family reunion looks way more fun than my family reunions. (Shh, don’t tell anyone in my family. :)) The food definitely looks healthier than I’ve ever seen at a reunion.

I think my favorite board game is Monopoly. I’ve just always loved it ever since I was a kid. I do have a soft spot for Candyland and Life, though.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Ohh, what a wonderful time! All the food looks wonderful and that cupcake looks to die for!!

corrie anne August 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I love Scrabble!!! Glad you still got to enjoy a few things.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Cute family reunion! Nice handstands Mal!

j3nn August 25, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Looks like everyone had a great visit! Glad you enjoyed your cupcake, and here’s to hoping your tummy ignores it. :)

Christine August 25, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Oh Tina, that house is so pretty! Can they adopt me??? You are really an inspiration with how well you are handling the UC. It is so hard to live with a restricted diet, especially at parties. I can’t have gluten because of an extreme hives condition that I developed a few years ago. It’s a challenge.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 25, 2012 at 10:09 pm

We used to play Scattegories ALL the time as a kid! It would always get really intense between my grandma and her sister…their sibling rivalry lives on strong to this day. ;)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Love catch phrase and Monopoly, of course. We are huge “winos” in my family and my mom always calls her glasses of wine “splashes” and instead of asking for another glass she asks for a “splash.” :)

Katie @ Goober Nut's Life August 26, 2012 at 12:35 am

Not really a board game.. But I love to play Taboo! That game is so funny when I play it with my friends! :)

jaclyn August 26, 2012 at 1:38 am

just curious, is humus considered paleo? or not b/c of beans?

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 26, 2012 at 7:31 am

That house looks beautiful!

I love Scattergories, too! And Taboo!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 26, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hmm favorite board game. Does Taboo count as a board game? I love that one. Battle of the Sexes is always fun with a big group, too. And Apples to Apples. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 26, 2012 at 8:09 am

Dinner looks awesome! I’m glad there were so many safe choices for you. :)

My favourite board game is Cranium! My family plays it every year at Christmas and it always turns into a big giggle fest!

Sara @ sarasmiles August 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

Balderdash!! Apples to Apples come in at a close 2nd

Julie August 26, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’m really liking Catch Phrase

kalee @ SoreyFitness August 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

I love Catch Phrase and Taboo! They are so random and funny to me!

Barbara August 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm

scattergories is my favorite game too! or boggle… beautiful pics, beautiful weekend

Lisa M August 26, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Current faves are Settlers of Catan and old school Password with a piece of paper and a pen!

Tina, wondering if you can do a grocery shopping post on your current “diet?” When you get home and settled of course…:)

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and hope your tummy troubles stay away!

Tina August 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Sure! Will do! :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes August 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I love playing apples to apples! But really any board game is good with the right set of people (and drinking) ;)

Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself August 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I love scattergories too!! I just played with some friends last night!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 26, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I love the game of Life and Scrabble – love my originals!

When Eric and I play Scrabble it gets pretty intense/competitive. It’s pretty fun!

@pluvk August 26, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love these type of get-togethers! Especially ones with giant veggie platters. :-) My favorite board game is Scrabble, but I’m terrible at it! I make up words like HAT and BALL. I also love Kōnane (a Hawaiian checkers game).

Debbie August 26, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I don’t know if it’s officially considered a board game but I am absolutely addicted to mah jong. I watched my mom play it growing up and never learned until a few months ago. It’s so much fun!

Kelly@BalancedDaily August 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

Catch phrase is so fun! But i’d have to say my favorite board game is pictionary. It’s pretty hilarious seeing what some people draw and what they are actually trying to draw.

Liz August 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

Scattegories for the win! I love that game. Second favorite would have to be Trivial Pursuit (depending on the edition).

CampingGirl September 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm