• CNW: Week 4 – Day 1

August 1, 2011

This workout is a little different than the other Carrots ‘N’ Weights workouts, but for a good reason: supersets. A superset is performed when two exercises are performed in a row without stopping. The benefits of super sets are “accelerated muscle development, higher metabolism, and less time in the gym.” That all sounds good to me!

Here’s how this workout works: Start with the Dumbbell Chest Press, do 15 reps, and then immediately move onto the Dumbbell Chest Fly. When you finish those reps, start with the Dumbbell Chest Press again. Repeat this cycle three times.

Once you finish the first set, move onto the Bent-Over Fly and Biceps Curl. (I moved from one set to the next without stopping, but if you need to rest, take a little time between sets to let your muscles recover.) Repeat the second set three times and then move onto the final set, which you will also do three times.

Feel free to go at your own pace or do the workout as written. I definitely felt the burn during this workout! Happy lifting!

IMG_0018 (640x480) (640x480)

Reps: 15

Weight: 10-pound dumbbells

SET I:

Repeat x 3

SET II:

Repeat x 3

SET III:

Repeat x 3

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well August 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I love supersets!!! I tend to not have much time to do too many strength training exercises in one workout, so I often end up doing supersets to get it all done!

Kara August 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Thank-you for finally giving me a simple explanation of supersets! I can’t wait to start incorporating them into my workouts.

Cait's Plate August 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Can I just lift those cookies instead and call it a day?? 😉

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I adore Supersets. I use them for every workout pretty much. Such a good challenge.

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Supersets are great — they really help me feel the burn.

Chemgal August 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm

How often are you doing the weighted workouts?

Alaina August 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I happen to love short, yet effective workouts myself. 😉

Katie @ Life... Discombobulated August 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Supersets sound killer (in a good way)! :) This workout looks especially awesome because it could all be done at home with some free weights. I am loving the CNW posts!

Amy @ ahealthyandhappyheart August 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I think I am ready for the challenge…but can I eat the cookies first?!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I am all about supersetting it up and being efficient!!!

Shayla @ The Good Life August 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Love supersets! I forget to incorporate those into my strength workouts, thanks for reminding me the benefits of it and your routine! :)

krista August 1, 2011 at 8:43 pm

what kind of cookies are those (maybe i missed it?)? :)

Jess August 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Do you do weights on the day after your long run? I can never figure out which day to lift. I am training for a half marathon and am trying to work in two days of lifting a week- but never can figure out which days work best to do it.

Lauren @ MRS August 1, 2011 at 9:49 pm

How long will this whole combination run about? It sounds like a great exercise platform, though I should first locate our forlorn dumbbell, it needs to get dusted off from underuse.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 2, 2011 at 4:30 am

Supersets rock! Thanks for sharing Tina :)

christina August 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

Heavier weights and lower reps will give you faster results! Hypertrophy is optimum – 6-12 reps. Tina, I know you can go higher in weight on these! :)

Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect August 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Supersets are great, especially when I’m running short on time (which is A LOT!).

Lauren August 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I love these workouts. It’s like having a virtual personal trainer.
    Thanks so much!

Hayley @ Oat Couture August 3, 2011 at 2:57 am

I always work out in supersets! I feel the effects much more and your done twice as quick! :)

ShortSkirts August 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love super sets a trainer in high school introduced me too them, the are killer!