• His & Hers II

May 9, 2010

It’s Sunday Movie Night, so my hubby is waiting patiently for me to finish blogging and come join him on the couch. We’re watching 500 Days of Summer tonight. (Have you seen it?)

I’m really lovin’ our new Sunday night tradition of getting into our sweats and watching a movie together. I actually started looking forward to it this morning! It definitely makes easing back into the work week a little bit easier. :-D

Dinner

For dinner, Mal and I whipped up a garlicky shrimp dish with roasted brussels sprouts and couscous. Mal cooked the shrimp and couscous while I tossed the brussels sprouts in garlic oil and popped them into the oven to roast. When the brussels sprouts were finished cooking, we mixed everything together. Dinner was on the table in no time!

_MG_0672.JPG

HERS:

I added some romaine lettuce to give my portion some more “volume.”

_MG_0683.JPG

HIS:

Plate #1

IMG_0005.JPG

Plate #2

IMG_0002.JPG

Mal also munched on some Ruffles before dinner. He guessed that he ate 2-3 servings.

IMG_0003.JPG

As always, I wanted something sweet after dinner.

I try not to keep too many goodies in the house because I usually end up chowing them, so the treats were limited this evening. But, then, some packets of apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal caught my attention.

_MG_0653.JPG

I love pretty much all oatmeal, but apple-cinnamon is just not my favorite. These packets have been sitting in the pantry for months and months now.

_MG_0650.JPG

I used the packets of instant oatmeal to create a really yummy apple cinnamon muffin. Mal even liked them– and, he’s really picky about my baked goods. He always thinks they taste too healthy. I guess these muffins past the “too healthy” taste test! ;-)

_MG_0660.JPG

Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Makes 12 mini muffins

Ingredients:

• 5 packets of apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/4 cup canola oil

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 350*F
    • Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
    • Coat a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray
    • Pour batter into muffin cups
    • Bake for 15-20 minutes
    • Allow to cool and enjoy!

_MG_0667.JPG

I bet this recipe would work well with other instant oatmeal flavors too. I can’t wait to try maple-brown sugar with some walnuts and raisins. Doesn’t that sound good!?

Movie time! 8-)

Hannah May 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Oooh, how about maple-brown sugar with peanut butter chips? Mmmm… And I enjoyed 500 Days of Summer, although I didn’t find it as “innovative” as some people had told me it was. Still nice, though!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 9, 2010 at 11:16 pm

What a great looking dinner!
    And I agree – Sunday nights are the perfect time for some relaxed movie watching :)

Ellen May 9, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Sunday night is one of my least favorites of the week—but what a great idea you have of making it a move night! I’ll have to try that.

500 D.O.S. is great!

Daniella May 10, 2010 at 12:26 am

Your dinner looks so yummy! I still have not brought myself to try brussel sprouts (they get such a bad rep!) I love your idea of baking with beans! I love baking and tried avocado as a butter substitute today!

Mama Pea May 10, 2010 at 1:17 am

I ate those chips every day when I was pregnant with Gigi. I think maybe Mal has a secret ;)

I’d love to hear what you think of the movie. It’s been a mixed bag from my friends!

Jaclyn May 10, 2010 at 1:47 am

Ha, love the his and hers, boys are funny how they can seem to effortlessly pack away the food, ya?!
    You’ll have to post that recipe, the shrimp and cous cous looks great!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 10, 2010 at 1:55 am

Those muffins look delish. So do those Ruffles, lol. :D

Jenn

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 10, 2010 at 2:43 am

Great idea with the instant oatmeal packets. Apple cinnamon isn´t my favorite either, but with a spoon of PB swirled in it is pretty delicious. Although most things are delicious with peanut butter…

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs May 10, 2010 at 3:25 am

Mal likes his couscous then!?
    500 Days of Summer – SUCH a good film! It’s one of my favourites, I hope you liked it :)

gina May 10, 2010 at 8:51 am

maple and brown sugar has always been my favorite flavor. your muffins look delish, so you just guess on all the ingredients & they come out perfect?

Laura May 10, 2010 at 9:21 am

i have a giant box of instant oatmeal to use up that I got on clearance from target. i’m so excited to have a recipe to get rid of them! I only bought them because they are so cheap, forgetting I HATE instant oatmeal!

Lisa May 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

I never thought of using instant oatmeal to bake with. great idea!

Kristen May 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I love the idea of using the Instant oatmeal in muffins! I have a ton that I look at all the time and wonder what the heck I would do with it. I will be making these little puppies this afternoon when I get home.

Cait (Cait's Plate) May 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE this idea!! I’m totally going to try this out!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) May 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm

great idea making the oatmeal packets into muffins!

Allie May 10, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Omigosh what a great idea to make oatmeal muffins with the Quaker packages. I can only imagine how awesome the Maple & Brown Sugar would be.

Daisy May 11, 2010 at 11:12 am

whattt the apple cinnamons are my favorite!!! ill take them off your hands

Christa May 11, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I think the packages of oatmeal I had were bigger than the Quaker ones you used, mine turned out pretty dry (still yummy though!). I have more to use, so I may just use 4 packages this time. Thanks for the fast, easy, yummy idea!!

Sarah May 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I tried the recipe! I put a little agave in, too, and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on the top before I baked them… Yum! I used spelt flour, so mine taste quite healthy, but I like healthy so I’m happy. I think I might add dried cranberries next time. Thanks for the great idea!

Kelly May 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

i just made the oatmeal muffins – i used the target brand cinnamon roll… YUUUMMMM!!! thanks!

Christine May 26, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Just made these muffins..sooo good! And they made my house smell so good! It is really hard not to eat them all right now!

Dana February 2, 2011 at 2:49 pm

These look REALLY GOOD ! WOW

Olivia May 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm

i made these yesterday and they were delicious!! such a good idea since i have so many of those oatmeal packets lying around. i used the cinnamon roll flavor and added fresh chopped apples. thank you for this great recipe! it was super easy to make and came out so good! just to give you an idea of how good…i ate 4 of the 12 muffins…in about 2 hours…and i definitely could have eaten more…

Maria September 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

I LOVE brussel sprouts! You just reminded me I need to make them :)

Lara Laverne August 25, 2013 at 2:11 am

Love the muffins. Thanks for a quick recipe. Kids love cinnamon so will make these next weekend for sure. Thanks!