I have partnered with Dannon to help promote Oikos. I have been compensated for my time commitment to review Oikos. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments. Thank you to Dannon for partnering with me on this post. As always, thank you for supporting CNC!
Hi guys! You are going to absolutely LOVE this quick and easy breakfast. I whipped up this Easy Tortilla Breakfast Quiche a few weeks ago and have been wanting to share it ever since! You’ll wow your family and friends wherever you make it and you’ll feel good about eating it, too! You can absolutely make this ahead of time – just reheat – to simplify your morning routine. And the best part? It’s incredibly high in protein, packed with flavor, and is almost too pretty to eat!
I always love simple recipes, but I’m especially loving them lately. With summer in full swing, busy weekends, and loads of travel, I don’t have time to spend hours prepping and cooking. But with this recipe, you only need seven main ingredients, many of which you likely already have on hand, and only a few simple steps, this breakfast (or lunch or dinner) comes together in no time! And, how fun is the tortilla for the crust? I love the shape it forms when baking – almost like a flower! 🙂
You’d never guess it, but the star ingredient of this quiche is Dannon Oikos Greek Nonfat Yogurt. That’s right! And it’s a seriously stellar addition as an excellent source of high quality protein per 5.3 oz and a good source of calcium and active yogurt cultures, plus many flavors have vitamin D as well! It also makes a versatile ingredient substitution in a variety of recipes (both savory and sweet), especially since there are so many flavors to choose from!
If you’re lactose intolerant and typically avoid milk and other dairy products, you might not think this recipe is for you. But (!!) Greek yogurt, for many people, is a more digestible alternative to milk because it contains less lactose. Additionally, its live and active cultures may allow lactose intolerant individuals to enjoy dairy products with fewer associated symptoms. If you’re on the fence about whether or not dairy “agrees” with you, it’s worth giving this recipe a try, especially since it’s star ingredient offers tons of protein (1 cup of Dannon Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt has 22 grams of protein!). It’s the most satiating nutrient and provides a healthy dose of calcium, which is essential to maintaining muscle and bones.
Easy Tortilla Breakfast Quiche
Makes 4 servings
- 1 large tortilla or Lavash
- 1 cup ground Italian sausage
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peppers and onions (I used defrosted frozen)
- 1/2 cup Dannon Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pan on the stove top, cook sausage until fully browned. Remove from stove top and transfer to a mixing bowl. In the same pan, sauté peppers and onions in leftover grease until soft. Transfer peppers and onions to the mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Then, pour it over the sausage, peppers, and onions in the mixing bowl.
- Line a round dish with a large tortilla or lavash and press to edges. Pour in egg mixture and cook for 55 minutes or until the center is firm and top is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into 6 pieces and serving.