• Healthy Grocery Haul & Meal Plan from Target

January 16, 2016

Hi, friends! Happy Saturday!

We’re hosting a brunch with friends tomorrow afternoon, so I did our weekly grocery shopping yesterday, which means I can share it with you guys on CNC! I actually needed to buy a few things from Target, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and do my grocery shopping there too.

SAMSUNG CSC

I typically shop at Trader Joe’s or Stop & Shop (they have a better selection overall), but we had quite a few groceries leftover from last week, so popping into Target for a smaller shopping worked out great. That said, here’s our weekly grocery haul and meal plan for the week!

SAMSUNG CSC

MEAT, EGGS, DAIRY

• Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk – I love a little sweetness in my iced coffee, so I went with vanilla soymilk this week. I switch it up with unsweetened and vanilla. I also pick soymilk over almond milk because it has more protein per serving, and I just like the taste and creaminess more.
    • Market Pantry (Target brand) Liquid Egg Whites – Since cutting back on meat, I’m looking for ways to add more protein to my diet. I still eat plenty of egg yolks; the whites are just an easy way to add protein to my diet, like mixed into oatmeal.
    • Simply Balanced Organic Whole Milk – We typically buy milk for Quinn from a local farm, so I just grabbed a half gallon to get us through the next few days. We’ll swing by Hornstra later this week to buy a gallon and see the cows.
    • Market Pantry Eggs
    • Market Pantry Unsalted Butter
    • Archer Farms (Target brand) Applewood Thick Cut Bacon – For brunch with friends.
    • Gold’n Plump Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Filets – We haven’t really liked the Market Pantry chicken, so I was happy to see a new chicken option. I’ll let you know how it tastes!
    • Horizon Organic Shapes Colby Cheese – Quinn lovvveeesss this cheese!

SAMSUNG CSC

PRODUCE

I’m surprised how little produce I bought, but it’s only because I got a ton of frozen stuff from Trader Joe’s last week. We’ll be eating through our freezer stash in the coming days.

• Earthbound Farm Organic Deep Green Blends – For smoothies and salads.
    • Iceberg Lettuce – For Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Black Bean Salads
    • Bananas – I hope these aren’t “trick” bananas. The last time I bought bananas from Target, they never ripened (even though they looked ripe) and stayed hard as a rock, so we ended up throwing out the whole bunch. Mal and I think they were some weird new experimental banana since we won’t have them like we know them for much longer.

SAMSUNG CSC

FROZEN

• Market Pantry Potato Puffs – I’m making three batches of Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake. Yes, three: One for brunch, one for my sister (my niece Karli arrived on Wednesday!), and one for us for weekday breakfasts.
    • Market Pantry Blueberries
    • Market Pantry Mango – I love the taste and texture that frozen mango gives to smoothies!

SAM_6973 (1280x853)

GROCERY

• Vega Protein & Greens (vanilla) – I’m also trying to add more veggie protein to my diet, so I figured I’d give this a try.
    • Simply Orange Orange Juice – For brunch.
    • Annie’s Organic Whole Wheat Shells & White Cheddar
    • Market Pantry Black Beans
    • Market Pantry Canned Chicken – I like the canned chicken from Trader Joe’s (it’s such an easy source of protein), so I decided to give the Target brand a try.
    • Newman’s Own Salsa
    • Market Pantry 100% Whole Wheat Tortilla
    • Pumpkin Puffins – I saw these on clearance and just had to buy them!
    • Annie’s Cinnamon Rolls – For brunch.
    • Cheez-Its

SAM_6970 (1280x853)

Weekly meal plan:

Weekly meal prep:

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday January 16, 2016 at 9:48 am

I got the Gold ‘n’ Plump chicken tenders a couple weeks ago and really liked them! I probably should’ve cleaned them up a little more, since there were a few chewy/fatty pieces, but they still tasted good! I’d love to know what you think of the Vega powder, too. I’ve considered getting it but don’t want to spring for a huge tub in the event it doesn’t taste amazing.

Gretchen January 16, 2016 at 9:55 am

Those cheesy tots sound so good! I just picked some tater tots up at the store too so I might have to give that recipe a try. Yum!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 16, 2016 at 9:58 am

Nice! I’m about to hit up the grocery store to do a little shopping myself! 🙂 I love Trader Joes but there’s a few things I’m not sure I can get there so I’ll be popping into Walmart or Target myself to get those items.

I recently tried the Plant Fusion Phood and then Naturade Vegan Chocolate (both greens + plant protein) and I’ve really liked both!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles January 16, 2016 at 10:13 am

I do buy a lot at Target sometimes too! I get the frozen blueberries for sure and agreed on their bananas! They do not always ripen the right way at all.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner January 16, 2016 at 11:13 am

I really miss having a Target market–it was so handy! All your prep meals look so good.

Rachel January 16, 2016 at 1:04 pm

You’ve mentioned a couple of times that you’re cutting back on meat. After following a pretty strict paleo diet I’ve found myself going through a similar change. I’d be curious to learn more about your motivation to make that change- if it’s not too personal!

Jenni January 16, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Love Annie’s shells. Yum. You’re cutting back on meat? Interesting. I’ve found myself the last year actually not wanting to eat much meat (not like I used to), it’s coincided with a ‘sick’ tummy as well. It’s tough to know what’s right nowadays though as paleo and autoimmune protocols talk about how meat is healing to the gut (obviously grass-fed, organic etc). I’ve tried several Vega products and am on the fence, I always seem to get dangerously bloated after the proteins and greens – but maybe I’m just not used to it?

Christi January 16, 2016 at 2:30 pm

@Jenni: I don’t each much meat either since I just started to lose a taste for it other than fish. I have lupus so protein is good for energy, but I also struggle with getting enough without overdoing it on dairy. I love cottage cheese and eggs but I just can’t get used to these protein powders either. I have tried so many organic, veggie and rice based ones but they too make me feel really bloated but yet I am hungry right away so I feel like its a waste of calories as well.

Beth @ Paces and Places January 16, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I love mango in smoothies! I don’t know what it is about it, but it makes smoothies so delicious! I also have to have a banana in every smoothie or else I just hate the texture.

Nina January 16, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Hi Tina! I’ve noticed you talking about cutting back on meat in recent posts. Would you ever entertain the idea of doing an “in-depth” post about your decision? I’d be curious to hear more, especially since I know you are always looking for ways to heal your gut. P.S. Congrats on your new niece!

Liz January 16, 2016 at 9:10 pm

So I always buy my bananas at whole foods but in a pinch I bought a bunch at target 3 weeks ago..they are still green as can be! Somethings up!!!

Tina January 16, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Ughh, trick bananas!

Yael January 20, 2016 at 3:20 pm

@Tina: Is there plastic on the stems? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that that keeps them from ripening. That’s my best guess–SO weird!

Tina January 20, 2016 at 3:23 pm

No, just regular old bananas (or so I thought)!

Nikki January 18, 2016 at 6:37 am

It happened to me twice in the last few years but not from Target. If the bananas look exceptionally green when you purchase, it could be a sign!

Krista January 16, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Hey Tina, I’m trying to get more into planning my meals for the week better to make one shopping trip a week instead of, say, three, but most of the posts I’ve found via Pinterest and here explain just what one might have for breakfasts and dinners– what do you do for lunches?

Tina January 17, 2016 at 5:44 am

Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner or some sort of veggie+rice/quinoa mix. I actually have a post scheduled for Tuesday that shows a bunch of my lunches. Stay tuned!

Kristen @ livinlifeinlouie January 17, 2016 at 4:12 am

Was wondering what you thought of the Vega protein? I’ve seen it at target. Just wasn’t sure if it was good or not.

Tina January 17, 2016 at 5:45 am

On its own or mixed with milk/water, it definitely has a taste that you need to get used to, but blended into a fruit smoothie, it’s quite delicious.

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 17, 2016 at 7:43 am

I run to Target for smaller runs. They have the best market pantry almond butter! The Vega protein and greens I love! I do the chocolate flavor.

Rosey January 17, 2016 at 9:43 am

I hate when that happens with bananas! I thought it was just me! Luckily, it doesn’t happen very much 🙂
    I love Vega Protein and another plant-based one I like is Sunwarrior.
    I think it is awesome you are eating less meat!!!! There is a book I really like that recently came out “Proteinaholic” by Dr. Garth Davis out of Houston, Texas. He is a bariatric surgeon and in his book, he discusses how much protein we really need….because, as a culture, we have become obsessed with “getting enough protein” (myself included). He talks about how food companies use our fear of protein deficiency to their advantage in order to sell their products. Just thought I’d mention it as it was very eye opening.
    What? Annie’s has cinnamon rolls. Must buy!
    Lastly, I keep meaning to tell you about the 10% happier app. Have you heard about it? So far, I just have done the free meditations and it is only 9.99…it is an app to help you with meditation 🙂 I loved that book also so just thought I would mention it. The author Dan Harris also has a great interview on the Rich Roll Podcast that you can listen to.
    Okay..longest comment ever..sorry 🙂

Tina January 17, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I didn’t know there was an app! Very cool. Thanks for telling me!!

Taylor January 17, 2016 at 9:55 am

The vegetarian stir fry looks so good!! Will have to give that a try!

hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 17, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Vega Protein & Greens is the best — I love the chocolate flavor.

mary January 17, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I think you’ll like the Vega Proteins and Greens. I use it for quick breakfast smoothies when I’m crunched for time and the Vega recovery protein after workouts. Love them both!

Linda January 17, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I dislike most protein powders but the Vega Protein and Greens is one that I’ve found is pretty easy on my stomach, plus it lacks that exaggerated “protein-y” taste that always reminds me of ground up bones. I gave up meat about 1.5 years ago, mostly to help with my digestion, so I am always trying to find ways to up my protein. I can only take so much lentils and beans. I should note I have a super sensitive digestive system.

Kelsey Bjelland January 19, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Will you do a review of the Vega protein and what you think of it? I’ve been thinking about trying it and interested in how you like it!

Amanda Benn January 19, 2016 at 3:50 pm

I would love to hear a review about the Vega protein powder as well. I shop at Target a lot for groceries too. I like their Market Pantry brand. Trader Joe’s is almost finished with construction in my town and I cannot wait to shop there!

Amy January 20, 2016 at 6:31 am

How is the vega vanilla??I drink Vega chocolate and love it.

JenS January 22, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I love grocery shopping my at local super Target. Do you use the Cartwheel app? It has saved me so much $$

Kaitlin January 22, 2016 at 6:22 pm

oh my the Cheesy Tator-tot breakfast thingy….My pregnancy hormones are going crazy and the things I would do to get my hands on some of that right now!!
    Thanks for sharing!