• Day in the Life {19 Months}

January 12, 2016

Thank you Annie’s for sponsoring this post! While this was a sponsored opportunity from Annie’s, all content and opinions expressed here are my own.

Good morning! It’s time for another Day In The Life post!

Our little guy recently turned 19 months, so I documented a day in our life as a way to remember him at this age. And, boy, do I love this age. I swear, everything Quinn does nowadays is so darn cute and exciting, especially hearing all of his new words. He’s still not talking a ton, but the words are definitely coming!

6:45 AM: I hear the front door close (Mal leaves for school) and then, 30 seconds later, I hear Quinn on the baby monitor. It’s time to get up! The little dude has recently started sleeping later and it’s the best thing ever. I can’t say I miss our 4:45 AM mornings!

6:50 AM: I take Quinn downstairs to the family room. I change his diaper and then give him some milk in a sippy cup. He watches Paw Patrol while I make myself an iced coffee and heat up some pumpkin crock-pot oatmeal. We hang out and cuddle on the couch while I eat my breakfast. Quinn “helps” me.

7:45 AM: I put on workout clothes and then get Quinn dressed for the day. I offer him breakfast (pancakes and blueberries), but he runs over to the kitchen counter and points up at the blender. Smoothie time! I recently started throwing together smoothie packs, which make the whole process a zillion times easier. Now I just add yogurt/cottage cheese/milk/water and blend!

SAM_6577 (1024x683)

8:15 AM: We play until it’s time to leave for KFIT.

SAMSUNG CSC

9:30 AM: Quinn plays while I work out at KFIT. Holy heavy S2OH + 270 sit-ups! (I was sore for days.)

11:00 AM: We arrive home from KFIT and Quinn goes down for his nap. I make a protein shake (SFH vanilla Recovery + iced coffee + coconut milk) and drink it before I hop in the shower.

11:25 AM: I clean up our living room since I left it a mess before heading to KFIT.

SAM_6529 (1024x683)

11:30 AM: I snap photos of Annie’s new line of Organic Soups for this post.

SAM_6521 (1024x683)

The nice people from Annie’s recently sent me their line of new organic soups to try and we’ve eaten them nonstop. They’re such a quick and easy option for lunch, dinner, or snack time. And, man, they are delicious. We are definitely on a soup kick in this house. There are five new soup varieties available:

• Annie’s Organic Star Pasta & Chicken Soup – Organic chicken and broth with no antibiotics added. <– Mal and Quinn’s favorite!
    • Annie’s Organic Tomato Soup – 1/2 cup vegetables per serving. <– My favorite! I like heating it up in a mug and sipping it as an afternoon snack.
    • Organic Creamy Tomato & Bunny Pasta Soup – 1/2 cup vegetables per serving.
    • Annie’s Organic Creamy Carrot & Bunny Pasta Soup – 100% daily value of Vitamin A and a great benefit for kids during flu season.
    • Annie’s Organic Bunny Pasta & Chicken Broth Soup – Organic chicken broth with no antibiotics added.

SAM_6511 (1024x683)

These soups are definitely delicious, and I love that they come from a brand like Annie’s that we already know and trust. They use wholesome ingredients in their products, so I feel good about serving them to my family.

SAM_6515 (1024x683)

11:45 AM: After snapping photos of Annie’s Organic Soups, I am definitely in the mood for lunch. I make myself a bowl of Annie’s Organic Tomato Soup with some Cheddar Bunnies as croutons. (I love the crunch!) On the side, I have a salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas, and balsamic vinaigrette.

12:15 PM: After lunch, I do some chores around the house, including cleaning the kitchen, sorting the recycling, making more smoothie packs…

SAMSUNG CSC

And adding the first note to our Gratitude Jar, which is: “how Quinn says hello.” He has the sweetest little voice, and it’s the cutest thing ever. Hearing him say it truly melts my heart.

SAMSUNG CSC

1:00 PM: I eat the last No-Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bar and sit down to work on this post.

SAMSUNG CSC

2:00 PM: Quinn wakes up from his nap. I suggest lunch, but he is just not having it. I offer him basically everything in our kitchen and even make him a bagel with cream cheese (one of his go-to foods), but he refuses it all. I also try to put him in his highchair, but he puts up the biggest fight ever. Big ol’ tears and everything. Ok, then. He’s not in the mood to eat.

2:45 PM: We have library books due, so I gather them up and take Quinn to the library for a change of scenery.

SAM_6604 (1024x683)

3:00 PM: We arrive at the library and return our books.

Quinn stops to show me a tractor. He’s loving cars, trucks, and vehicles of all kinds!

Quinn plays while I pick out some books to take home with us.

Playing is serious business.

3:45 PM: We arrive home from the library. I offer Quinn the bagel with cream cheese from earlier. It’s a no-go, so I try some watermelon and he eats it. Hooray!

4:00 PM: It’s snowing, so Quinn is interested in what is happening outside, so I bundle him up.

SAMSUNG CSC

Murphy, of course, joins us.

SAMSUNG CSC

We don’t stay outside for too long because Quinn refuses to wear his hat and gloves.

SAMSUNG CSC

I eventually just give up and let him explore.

SAMSUNG CSC

4:15 PM: We come inside to warm up. I offer Quinn another snack. This time it’s Annie’s White Cheddar Bunnies.

SAMSUNG CSC

I give him the whole box and he’s quite curious to see what’s inside!

SAMSUNG CSC

Quinn eats a few bunnies and gives a few to Murphy too. *sigh* We try our hardest, but Quinn and the pug are always in cahoots when it comes to snacks.

SAM_6542 (1024x683)

4:45 PM: Time to play! Quinn’s new favorite game is dumping out all of his Mega Bloks and then kicking them around the room before he plays with them.

SAMSUNG CSC

Does anyone else’s kid do this same thing?

SAMSUNG CSC

5:00 PM: Mal gets home from work. We chat. I catch him up on our day. He changes into comfy clothes and then comes downstairs to hang out. He cuddles with Quinn on the couch while I make dinner.

SAMSUNG CSC

5:45 PM: Dinner is served! Soup, salad, and grilled cheese sandwiches are on the menu. Quinn also has some blueberries and horseradish hummus, which he is super into lately. (I know. I don’t understand his taste-buds either.)

SAMSUNG CSC

Mal has Annie’s Organic Star Pasta & Chicken Soup with Annie’s White Cheddar Bunnies.

SAMSUNG CSC

I finish off the container of Annie’s Organic Tomato Soup from lunch and then add some White Cheddar Bunnies.

SAMSUNG CSC

Quinn saw Mal dipping his grilled cheese into his soup, so he wants to try too.

SAM_6660 (1024x683)

Mmm! He loves it!

SAMSUNG CSC

Dipping his grilled cheese sandwich turns into Quinn wanting to eat the soup with a spoon, which totally surprises Mal and me. Quinn is the pickiest eater ever, so we are psyched that he wants to try it!

SAMSUNG CSC

We give Quinn his own bowl, so he can eat the soup himself.

SAMSUNG CSC

He was also making a huge mess, so we figured it was better to contain him and the soup. Haha!

SAMSUNG CSC

Quinn ends up eating his entire bowl of soup, including the soggy White Cheddar Bunnies, which he dips into his horseradish hummus.

SAMSUNG CSC

As you can imagine, Quinn is a soupy, hummus-y mess by the time he finishes, but we just let him do his thing. (Mal and I joke it was like watching an animal in the wild and not moving/making a noise because you don’t want to scare them away. Haha! But, honestly, we were so proud of the little guy for trying something new and eating a meal!)

SAM_6717 (1024x683)

6:45 PM: Quinn is messy, messy, messy after dinner, so Mal takes him upstairs for a bath while I clean up.

7:15 PM: Mal and Quinn read books. I come upstairs to say goodnight.

7:30 PM: Quinn goes to bed, so Mal and I watch a couple of episodes of Parenthood. (We’re in the final season!)

8:00 PM: I make myself a mug of peppermint tea and eat a handful of Peanut M&Ms.

9:00 PM: We head upstairs and get ready for bed.

9:30 PM: Lights out.

The end.

Karien @ Running the Race January 12, 2016 at 2:25 am

Couldn’t help but giggle about your “watching an animal in the wild” comment, lol! I do exactly the same when I introduce my kids to a new food – hold my breath and keep veeeeery quiet, haha!

Julie VerHage January 12, 2016 at 5:25 am

omg this makes me feel so old! I remember reading this blog before you were even pregnant. Can’t believe he’s 19 months already!

Meg January 12, 2016 at 5:58 am

These are my favorite! What do you do on days you run? Does Quinn go in the jogging stroller or do have someone watch him?

Tina January 12, 2016 at 6:08 am

We go to the YMCA, which has childcare! It’s awesome!

Brynn January 12, 2016 at 6:25 am

This is such a great post series, I always look forward to them. Is Q talking much? He’s such an explorer!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 12, 2016 at 6:47 am

Well he certainly knows what he wants. A determined little guy for sure!

Tina January 12, 2016 at 6:53 am

Oh, yes! 🙂

Shel@PeachyPalate January 12, 2016 at 7:12 am

Ah man he’s so cute with his soup!!! Looks like he has pretty good control of the spoon!!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby January 12, 2016 at 8:13 am

Annies for the adult and kid win! I LOVE Annies, I never thought of using them as croutons though! That’s genius! Smoothie packs are also awesome, I’ve made them before when I thought some produce was going to go bad and it saved it!

Nikki January 12, 2016 at 8:18 am

No bib?!?

Tina January 12, 2016 at 8:28 am

I know, I’m a terrible mother. Haha! We just washed his clothes afterward. And we didn’t want to interrupt him!

Amanda January 12, 2016 at 9:44 am

@Tina:

Oh good grief. Mother of 2 here. You are not a terrible mom! I totally understand why you wouldn’t put one on. Don’t disturb the wild animal. Any parent knows that when you finally get a picky eater to eat, you leave them to it. @Nikki:

Karen January 12, 2016 at 2:43 pm

@Amanda: We start out w a bib usually but it is quickly removed! Whatever I don’t care about messy clothes if something actually ends up in his mouth.

Traci January 12, 2016 at 8:33 am

Aw, Quinn. Success on getting him to eat a meal! Eventually he will figure it all out.

I’m currently watching season 2 of Parenthood! This weekend, I binge-watched 5 episodes in a row. Good one.

Gretchen | Gretchruns January 12, 2016 at 8:35 am

Wow, your day sure is different than a year ago! As a (maybe, one day) future mom, it’s good to know that you eventually do get a bit of normalcy back to your day. Thanks for sharing!

Christine January 12, 2016 at 8:40 am

We love Annies in our house! We tried Annies Star pasta chicken soup and my 14 month old went “mmmmm” when he tried it, I just about died! hahaha These are my favorite posts though, I always get new ideas from you! i.e. hummus for my toddler, going to buy some next time I’m shopping!

We are going through the food throwing phase, where B throws his food on the ground (or cup) when he’s done. I always think of Quinn and how you went through that and tell myself, its just a phase…I hope!

Tina January 12, 2016 at 8:45 am

Same with Quinn! Too cute!

Tina January 12, 2016 at 8:46 am

Oh, the food throwing phase. My favorite (not). Having Quinn put the food he didn’t want on the table next to him seemed to help!

Melissa January 12, 2016 at 8:45 am

I love these day in the lift posts! Always reminds me that I want to write my own! And I’m totally jealous that you can cuddle on the couch with Quinn. My daughter is 4 months younger than him and wants to be EVERYWHERE.

Katie D. January 12, 2016 at 8:56 am

I hear you about the wild animal thing. Last night we gave El (18 months) a few sliced cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers with ranch for dipping. She used the cucumbers as a spoon for the ranch but did eat 1 piece of green pepper. We were shocked and wouldn’t move/make a sound in case we “startled” her and she realized what she did!

Ashlee January 12, 2016 at 9:14 am

Your son sounds an awful lot like mine! He hated bibs and stopped wearing them before he was 1. So he just wore dark shirts or no shirts for food time. He also dumps all his wooden blocks and mega blocks and shuffles around through them like it’s a mud puddle or something. He does kick and toss them about too. I’m forever finding blocks in random places, even when I think they’re all picked up!

And Annie’s is awesome! We’re a huge Annie’s household!

Tina January 12, 2016 at 9:21 am

Me too! Quinn’s blocks end up ALL over the place. I found one in the dryer the other day!

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday January 12, 2016 at 9:27 am

I laughed at the hummus and blueberries comment – when I was little, I used to eat grapes with chip-dip (???). Love that he wanted to give the soup a try! So cute!

Melanie Hrdlicka January 12, 2016 at 9:29 am

My son is 3 and still loves kicking his toys all over the place – or throwing them. It’s a losing battle!

No worries about the bib! My first son never would wear a bib – he’d pull it off as soon as I put it on him. We just do lots of laundry 🙂

Candace Holliday January 12, 2016 at 9:35 am

Quinn has always reminded me so much of my little boy who is just a couple of months younger – we dump mega blocks out EVERY night, throw them around, and then eventually build a few things 🙂 They share eating habits too, except Quinn sounds like he tries more of a variety than mine is willing too. Thanks for sharing, love your blog!

Jen January 12, 2016 at 9:38 am

Is he teething? My daughter refuses to eat unless it’s soft/cold stuff when she’s teething! And she doesn’t act hungry either, I guess because it hurts. It’s hard being a toddler!

LOVE Parenthood! I totally cried at the last episode.

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job January 12, 2016 at 9:58 am

Not in the mood to eat? I don’t even understand that sentence. 🙂

Tina January 12, 2016 at 10:10 am

I knowwwwwww! How is this kid related to me!?

Brooks January 12, 2016 at 10:00 am

Busy days with toddlers- my favorite:) I’m a mom of 4 (9 & 6 year old boys and 3 year old twin girls), two of which are picky eaters. I wanted to comment when you said Quinn liked dunking the sandwich. I can get the picky eaters to eat so much more if they have some kind of dip- and dip can be anything (ranch, hummus, almond butter, ketchup, honey mustard, yogurt). For some reason, if they are dipping, they eat! Sometimes the combinations they want kind of gross me out (think apples and ketchup), but I just go for it. Anywho, thought that might help!

Tina January 12, 2016 at 10:11 am

He’s definitely a dipper. He lovvvveeeess ketchup!

Jenna January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm

@Brooks:

How do you manage four young kids!? I have 27 month old twin girls and I really want to try for a single baby but I’m too scared of more twins. I’m always on the lookout for people that manage four kids and sound happy and sane

Chase January 12, 2016 at 10:39 am

A) I look forward to when Clark outgrows his 4:45 mornings! We had one this morning zzzz

B) Dumping Megablocks is the best! That’s most of the fun of MegaBlocks

Lisa January 12, 2016 at 10:58 am

Hi Tina – It’s so fun to read about your day in the life because I have a 2 year old and there are so many similarities! We were doing so well on sleep before – until 7am one week! – but recently my guy Noah reverted to waking in the 4:15-5 window. Did you do anything specific to nudge Quinn toward later waking times? Or did it just happen on its own? Ughhh, I could use a break from the crazy early mornings!! 🙂

Tina January 12, 2016 at 11:07 am

Quinn still wakes up at 4:00-5:30 AM quite a lot, but we let him put himself back to sleep instead of getting up with him. (Sometimes we’ll go into his room and rub his back for a little while to get him back to sleep.) Although, there’s been a few mornings that he’s just NOT going back to sleep, so we’re up at 5:30 AM, like we were today.

Lisa January 12, 2016 at 12:36 pm

@Tina: I gotcha – at least you can get him back down again, which is great. We just converted Noah to a toddler bed AND he just figured out how to open his bedroom door… so I’m not sure how long we’ll be able to keep him in his room to self-soothe anymore… well, fingers crossed, we can work with him to get back to bed a little longer in the morning! thanks!

Lara January 12, 2016 at 11:30 am

I love reading this because my guy is the same age as Q. Luckily, my guy sleeps through the night 90% of the time…but with food we have a lot of the same issues. My guy loves yogurt and smoothies and milk…but the only other thing I can guarantee he’ll eat are things like fruit, pancakes, crackers, etc. It’s always a guess if he’ll eat his food. Last night, for example…he ate nothing. Wouldn’t touch dinner. Drank his milk and that was it. Today, ate up his yogurt and then was content. Then there are days he’ll pull out cereal or crackers but then feeds them to the dogs too (we have a pug too! and a puggle). So, I totally understand your concerns. But, I will say, kids will eat when they are hungry. Keep doing what you’re doing…offering him up things.

Kristin January 12, 2016 at 12:07 pm

My son does the same thing with his blocks!! He also has plenty of days where he eats the same way as Quinn…I totally get it. It’s frustrating!

Can you tell me more about what you put in the smoothie packs for Quinn? Do I see frozen peas in that picture? My little guy loves smoothies too, but I’d like to do some more variety with them…something other than the usual spinach/banana/berries combo I always do.

Tina January 12, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Anything goes! Lately, I’m doing avocado, cinnamon Puffins, peas, ground flax, mashed (or roasted) sweet potatoes, frozen grapes, rolled oats.

Anna January 12, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I was SO excited when Netflix starting showing season 6 of Parenthood. I’m watching, too 🙂

Stephanie January 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Um, my two year old’s new favorite game is how far can I kick my mega blocks/puzzles/Little People Disney Princesses. And/or how many different rooms can I run into and leave pieces of them scattered everywhere.

Lisa r January 12, 2016 at 1:47 pm

This is the same nap and wake up/ bedtime schedule as my son (18 months). 🙂 Your post about an animal in the wild and staying quiet made me laugh out loud! That is how it is at our house too! Luckily our son has been so much better with eating lately though! I will have to try these soups!

Miriam January 12, 2016 at 2:24 pm

It’s funny I bought some of Annie’s canned soups recently for my 19 months old son! I had never bought Annie’s in the past! My son is not a picky eater (he really likes to eat) but I’m a picky mommy who don’t have much time to cook. But I always make sure that he eats only the best. I’m excited to try all the new soups!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole January 12, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I can’t believe that he is so old! Where does the time go?! I started reading your blog right before you had him.

Taylor January 12, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I love watching kids try new foods.. such a fun stage for you guys right now.

Karen January 12, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Its a cold gray day and I’m craving tomato soup after this post! We don’t have any but its on my shopping list. My daughter would probably love the Annie’s soups. I’ll have to look for them at the store next time. My daughter is almost 3 and an awesome eater. I also have a 16 month old who will only eat blueberries, grilled cheese sandwiches and pretzel goldfish. I understand your struggles!

Phoebe S. January 12, 2016 at 3:26 pm

OMG the final season of Parenthood slayed me! So sad that it is over! And each episode was just so REAL. I think I cried at least once every ep! (maybe I should not be admitting that…). Enjoy!!!

Cali January 12, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I love Quinn’s shirt at dinner! Is it from Threadup?

Tina January 12, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Yep! 🙂

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 12, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Omg I can’t get enough of that kid! And in the snow! Too cute. I saw those Annie’s soups and I am really hoping they come out with a few with gluten free noodles- I would LOVE that!

eva January 12, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Oh my gosh quinn is so well dressed, it’s just too darned cute.
    Also, what I’d give to be a toddler again — turning down pancakes and blueberries in the morning?? *sigh*

Mary Jo January 12, 2016 at 10:48 pm

My grandson does the same thing, dump and kick… He totally enjoys that activity. That soup looks yummy!!!

Andy January 12, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Loved the way you blended the sponsored post into a post series that you normally do — it was great fun to read and I really enjoyed it!

Jill B January 13, 2016 at 8:49 am

You’re picture of your “messy room” seriously made me laugh!! That is definitely NOT a messy room! When you can’t walk from one end to the other without stumbling over laundry baskets or legos or barbies…. then we’ll talk! Great idea about the smoothie packs! I will prep those this weekend!

Nikki January 13, 2016 at 9:14 am

I really enjoy these posts. I don’t have kids yet, but it gives me an idea of what it’ll be like in the future, not too scary….

Deborah January 13, 2016 at 11:13 am

Your beautiful boy is a light eater, and doesn’t sleep as late as you’d like him to? Just wait! My 22-year old was like that too as a toddler but now when he visits, he eats me out of house and home and sleeps till noon. Their childhoods are so fleeting and before you know it, they’re onto the next stage. This, too, shall pass, Tina.

Danielle J. January 13, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I always love reading these “Day in the Life” posts. My daughter also loves Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies. Everything they make really is good, isn’t it? 🙂 Glad that Quinn enjoyed exploring his food, too!

Lindsay January 13, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I love the day in the life posts

Sarah January 13, 2016 at 1:33 pm

So funny about the blocks! My 18 month old daughter dumps them and kicks them all over too. Sometimes I have to hide them because I cannot take another day of picking up blocks from ALL OVER the house 1093284374849 times a day!

Haley January 14, 2016 at 8:38 am

I love these posts… my little one is 3 months behind yours, so it is always fun to see what we have to look forward to (plus I always get some good ideas from you!). Random question though: Where is your sectional from & do you love it? I’m on the hunt for a grey sectional and yours caught my eye!

Tina January 14, 2016 at 8:48 am

Thanks! It’s from Jordan’s Furniture. It’s actually from their overstock room, so we got an awesome deal on it!