• City Sports Outdoor CrossFit Series

July 25, 2014

The following post is sponsored by Fitfluential LLC on behalf of Reebok.

Good morning and happy Friday!

I ventured in Boston last night to attend a fun CrossFit event hosted by City Sports and CrossFit Back Bay. Every Thursday night from now until August 21st, you can participate in a free CrossFit workout on the Greenway (North End entrance, near the intersection of Cross and Hanover).

To participate in one of these workouts, you just need to register online and show up. Easy as that! Last night, a lot of people showed up with a buddy or two, so this event would definitely be fun with friends!

SAM_1779 (800x533)

Reebok sent me their new Nano 4.0, so I was pumped to try them out at the workout. Side note: I literally squealed with delight when these beauties arrived at my house. I was SO excited. All of the elite CrossFit athletes have raved about these shoes, so I couldn’t wait to get them on my feet and WOD with them.

About 25 people showed up for the outdoor workout last night. It was a good group—an equal mix of guys and gals—and lots of newbies! The majority of participants had never tried CrossFit before.

SAM_1790 (800x533)

The basic format of the class was a warm-up followed by some instruction and then a partner workout.

SAM_1797 (800x533)

The warm-up was a double Tabata (20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 16 times) of squats, lunges, high knees, jumping jacks, push-ups, and sit-ups.

SAM_1801 (800x533)

Once we were good and warm, we learned the various movements for the partner WOD:

With a partner:

100 Squats or Squat Jumps
    100 Sit-Ups
    100 Alternating Jump Lunges
    EMOM 3 Burpees

SAM_1803 (800x533)

How this workout worked: You and your partner needed to finish all 100 squats before you went on to the sit-ups and all 100 sit-ups before you went on to the jumping lunges. You could split up the reps anyway you wanted. (My partner and I split the reps equally and alternated sets of 10.)

SAM_1806 (800x533)

And it gets better… The workout was timed, so when a new minute started, the instructor yelled “3,2,1” and we all had to stop and perform 3 Burpees before continuing the rest of the reps in the workout. It was fun!

SAM_1810 (800x533)

The workout finished with a bunch of ab and core exercises. As the instructor said: “The reward for exercise is more exercise.” Haha!

I really enjoyed last night’s workout, especially since it was outside on the Greenway (so pretty) and it didn’t require any equipment. The entire workout was done with body weight, so you really could do it anywhere. I love that.

And the Nano 4.0… LOVE THEM. Obviously, I love the color (Mint Glow), and they’re so, so, so comfortable—lightweight yet sturdy. I’m planning to wear them for my regular CrossFit workouts, so I’ll give you guys a full review once I’ve had a chance to really break them in.

Questions of the Day

When was the last time you tried a new workout?

Anyone have the Nano 4.0 yet? What do you think?

Monica @ Baby Steps July 25, 2014 at 8:21 am

I have wanted to try CrossFit for so long! We only have one small chapter in our town, and it is super expensive. I work with a former military man who goes to it (his son used to teach it) and he says it is an awesome workout.

Love the shoes!

Danica @ It's Progression July 25, 2014 at 8:30 am

Where is your orange tank from?! It’s super cute!

Tina July 25, 2014 at 8:46 am

Thanks! It’s from Reebok! 😄

rosey July 25, 2014 at 1:15 pm
    Tina July 25, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for the link! 😄

Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl July 25, 2014 at 8:34 am

Love the color of your new shoes! Are they specifically for cross-fit or any type of work-out? And I love workouts that you can do anywhere :)

Tina July 25, 2014 at 8:46 am

You could definitely wear them for other workouts! 😄

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 25, 2014 at 8:38 am

I’m in love with those sneakers! And the color is amazing! I think I may need to invest in a pair! 😉

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona July 25, 2014 at 8:53 am

Looks like it was a beautiful night for a workout outside.

The last new to me workout I tried was a barre class a couple weeks ago.

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West July 25, 2014 at 8:56 am

Fun! I love a good bodyweight workout. I’ve been working with a new full-body tool called the ViPR lately, which has truly changed the game in my fitness program. It’s not easy too use and allows for fully functional movement patterns. Have you heard of the ViPR? http://www.viprfit.com/

Molly July 25, 2014 at 12:32 pm

@Ashley @ A Lady Goes West: You know, I just read an article about ViPR in Health or Shape or one of those ladies’ fitness magazines and just checked out the website and thought it looked pretty awesome – I love the handles! That’s probably my number one complaint when it comes to fitness stuff is that it can be so awkward, but I looked it up on Amazon and its kind of pricey. Bummer :-/. If my gym ever got any and offered a class I’d totally try it out!

Jess July 25, 2014 at 8:56 am

You look great Tina!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 25, 2014 at 9:29 am

Last week, the Mr and I got on bikes for the first time in 20 years. I don’t know if that qualifies as a new workout yet since we need to get helmets.

Jen K July 25, 2014 at 9:30 am

I recently tried The Bar Method; I like it and found it to be a challenge but there was a routine quality to it that I didn’t love. The Nano’s are cute!

mary @ minutes per mile July 25, 2014 at 9:54 am

I’m a fan of the Nike Training Club app, which has easy at-home, no-weights workouts that are perfect for your backyard, hotel room, etc! Bodyweight movements can be pretty tough!

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake July 25, 2014 at 10:02 am

I want to do that workout! Sounds awesome!
    Also, I love those sneakers! Need them now!

Tasha July 25, 2014 at 10:08 am

Love the shoes! And lady, you are looking strong and fabulous!! Such an inspiration :)

Michele @ paleorunningmomma July 25, 2014 at 10:20 am

I haven’t tried a new workout in way too long! I love anything outdoors though.

Reenie July 25, 2014 at 10:25 am

Love the new shoes. I need to get some CF shoes. I’m still trucking along being a newbie with CF. Once you drink the kool-aid ~ there’s no turning back. HA!! 😉 And if anyone out there doesn’t think that they can do it ~ you need to give it a try. I’m 56 yrs old …… and I’m always bringing up the rear {hey someone has to be last} But, I’m still passing everyone still sitting on the couch!!! :)

Tina…. you are looking great. I think you are more cut than before you were pregnant. :)

Tina July 25, 2014 at 10:58 am

I’m so glad you’re enjoying CrossFit!!!

Charlotte July 25, 2014 at 10:27 am

Can the nanos just be used for CF?

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties July 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

I’ve never done a group workout like that but I bet it would be really fun and motivating! Also- those shoes are super cute!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious July 25, 2014 at 10:38 am

I started swimming earlier this year when I was injured. When the doctor told me to swim to help with healing, I was like ugh I hate swimming. But now I love it and still do it several times a week.

Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? July 25, 2014 at 10:38 am

Super cute shoes! That is a fun way to workout and get outside for some fresh air too!

Jessica July 25, 2014 at 10:40 am

When you review the nano 4 I’d like to know why/if it’s better than the 3’s!

jodi July 25, 2014 at 11:06 am

sounds like a blast especially considering it was outdoors – wish i lived near Boston – have been wanting to try Crossfit but due to expense have not been able to – my local Adult Ed is offering a class this fall with some HIIT and CrossFit workouts included so looking forward to trying it that way.

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape July 25, 2014 at 11:10 am

That looks awesome! What a great idea for bringing crossFit to more people!

Love the new nanos – just got a pair of custom nano 2’s and I adore them! My prize possession!! Ha!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run July 25, 2014 at 11:13 am

Love the color of you new kicks. Lookin’ good mama!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse July 25, 2014 at 11:29 am

Those shoes are amazing! I would love to go to an event like this with other newbies :)

Kristen @ Vitamin K Girl July 25, 2014 at 11:37 am

Last time I tried a new workout was when I tried BodyCombat at my gym this past winter, & I’ve been hooked ever since! Nothing has given me more definition in my arms and shoulders. The next workout I want to try is either a barre class or CrossFit!

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat July 25, 2014 at 11:40 am

That sounds like a killer workout! It’d be so fun to do in the park with a group of people.

Molly July 25, 2014 at 11:41 am

The nanos are so pretty!

The last time I tried a new class was a few months ago when the normal Pilates teacher at my gym had a sub and we did a “Body Works Plus Abs” class which was bodyweight exercises mixed with light dumbbell work. I really liked it, but the times my gym offers for the class are horrible. We now have a new Pilates instructor and she’s different from our previous one and we’ve been doing new things – does that count?

Laura T July 25, 2014 at 11:46 am

Holy cow, I cannot believe you just had a baby! You look fabulous!

gracekelle at leangirlsclub July 25, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I love the Tabata method, it’s such a great way to workout with minimal time. I also love when they make you workout with a partner in Crossfit. It’s a lot of pressure sometimes, but it pushes me to work through the pain because I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of my teammate or let her down.

The last time I tried a new workout it was with Body Space Fitness, similar to Cross Fit but with a bit more science. So great!

Shel@PeachyPalate July 25, 2014 at 12:59 pm

The colour is gorgeous!! Definitely on my wish list!

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out July 25, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I love those practical workouts that you can do anywhere!

Tory Vey July 25, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Do you wear a nursing sports bra? If so, which one?

Tina July 25, 2014 at 2:36 pm

It’s just a regular sports bra (Champion High Impact II).

Sarah @ Sweet Miles July 25, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Oooh I do love the color of those shoes!! My mind is still blown at how GREAT you look so soon post-baby! Way to go!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit July 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm

That looks so fun and ummmm, can we talk about how amazing you look?! HOT mama!

Emily July 25, 2014 at 7:39 pm

How fun! It’s about time I changed up my routine. The apartment gym is slowly losing it’s appeal despite the convenience!

Danielle @ It's a Harleyyy Life July 25, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Looks like a great time! I need those shoes! (:

Danielle J July 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I LOVE the color of your new banks! How are they different from the 3’s?

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily July 25, 2014 at 9:57 pm

LOVE the shoes! Dammit, how did you JUST have a baby?! I delivered in April and still look like a beached whale. Way to go mama!

Katherine Baker July 26, 2014 at 8:34 am

I recently rock climbed – something I haven’t done since I was a kid but really enjoyed then AND now. It’s great to challenge your body in new ways and I was sore in all sorts of muscles I didn’t even know I had. I’m dying to try crossfit still! Your blog has made me really really want to!

Devonshire July 27, 2014 at 9:54 am

Im dying to hear/read your commentary on the Crossfit Games!! I have to work today so i don’t get to see the final events :*(

Tina July 27, 2014 at 10:10 am

Sadly, I’m not there this year. Just watching from home.

Katherine Baker July 27, 2014 at 8:04 pm

love those shoes AND especially love the color!

Jessica @ The Get Fit Chick July 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm

OMG…I love allthemintthings….especially those shoes!

Nicole July 28, 2014 at 12:41 am

Looks like fun! And you’re looking FABULOUS after just having had a baby!

Makenzie July 28, 2014 at 11:13 am

I so wish my town had a cross fit program like this! We have a gym that lets anyone come for free on Saturdays, but I haven’t gotten to go yet. I love new and intense workouts, and it would be even better outside like that! Maybe I should create my own workout group!