• Sunday Food Prep Ideas for a Week of Healthy Eating

May 19, 2014

With a baby on the way (any day now!), I figured I should get back on board with my Sunday food prep. I used to do it all the time, but, in recent months, I let it fall by the wayside, which has led to a lot of lazy meals and not-so-healthy eating, so I want to get myself back on track. Plus, I think it’ll be a great habit to keep once I don’t have as much time to cook.

Sunday_Prep_Ideas_for_a_Week_of_Healthy_Eating

• Lettuce
    • Chicken sausage
    • Frozen peas

025 (900x675)

This week’s meal plan:

Breakfast and snack ideas:

* A little note about our lunches since I don’t typically plan for them: Mal almost always takes leftovers from the previous night’s dinner for lunch, and I just wing it since I work from home. I’ll sometimes eat leftovers from dinner too, but, most of the time, I whip up something quick, like an egg sandwich, veggie burger or smoothie.

sunday_food_prep_ideas

From top left to right:

• Chopped cantaloupe (Side note: Organic cantaloupe is the bomb! Holy cow, it is delicious. I will probably never buy a conventional one ever again!)
    • Chopped peppers and onions for Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
    • Chopped veggies for Shrimp Fried Rice
    • Sweet Potato Wedges
    • Sweet potato + onion home fries
    • Blueberry Chia Jelly (recipe coming soon!)
    • Paleo “Granola”
    • Roasted broccoli
    • Chicken sausage
    • Batter for 2-ingredient pancakes
    • Hardboiled eggs
    • Brown rice (not pictured)
    • Almond Joy Chia Pudding (not pictured)
    • Iced coffee (not pictured)

Sunday Prep Stocked Fridge

Want even more ideas for Sunday food prep? Well, look no further!

More Sunday prep ideas and tips for an awesome Sunday Cook-up!

Questions of the Day

Are you a fan of Sunday preps and cook-ups?

What are your favorite foods/recipes to prep?

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork May 19, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Such a timely post–my husband an I were having a “meeting” last night (we check in with each other about once a month regarding our combined to-do list for house stuff and whatnot) and were talking about how crazy the next 10 weeks are now that I’m back in class (in addition to both of us working full time and working out 5-6x/wk). We were trying to figure out how we can make sure we can cut back on the time it takes to make dinner. I suggested we make a better effort at Sunday meal prep. Thanks for this post for extra motivation!

Becky @ Olives n Wine May 19, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I can’t believe the little guy will be here any day now! Sunday/weekly food prep definitely is a huge time saver but sometimes I love cooking meals from scratch in the evening… it’s soothing if you have enough time :)

Tara May 19, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Nicely done! I am definitely a fan of the Sunday prep, although I mostly prep my own breakfast/lunches. I plan out our dinners, but most are just grilling or roasting, and that is easy enough to do the night of.
    Breakfast-I will make egg ‘muffins’ or fritter (w/cooked quinoa, spinach, veggies).
    Homemade granola.
    Lunches-I will make something on Sunday that will last at least 4 lunches
    -baked Mexican chicken or baked Italian chicken (both sooo easy!)
    -spaghetti squash w/ground turkey and tom. sauce /sp. Squash w/chicken sausage LC cheese
    -crockpot salsa chicken
    and lots of salads!

Danica @ It's Progression May 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I don’t always do Sunday food preps, just because I don’t grocery shop on the same day each week. But I do love prepping food after each shopping trip – even if it’s just washing fruit, diced veggies, and cooking grains and beans – it makes every day following SO much easier. When healthy choices are ready to eat right there in the fridge, there are no excuses to eat out!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 19, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I just started working four ten hour shifts a week, and my husband works four twelve to sixteen hour days, so I’ve started to do more food prep on Sunday. I’ve been trying to pack myself a few salads-in-a-jar for work lunches and whip up rice, hummus, etc. to keep in the fridge during the week. We also just got a chest freezer, so we’re having fun filling that with soup, homemade pizza crust, etc.

Livi May 19, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Chia pudding and sweet potato wedges are always on my weekly schedule! yum!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance May 19, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I do a little prep on Sunday but mostly I just make sure I have healthy foods on hand because I find that I never have enough time on Sunday to get everything ready for the week. If I at least have all the ingredients in the fridge, I can usually pull it together pretty fast. Some of my favorite staples are rotisserie chicken (without the skin, it is great!), quick cooking oats, pre-chopped veggies (especially onions), fruits and bread I can freeze.

Tasha May 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I used to do big shopping runs on the weekend and plan out what we would eat for the week. Before I had our son back in February, I cooked and froze as many tasty meals as possible. Even though we made it to the store after he was born, neither of us had any energy to cook beyond turning on the oven or microwave.

Linz @ Itz Linz May 19, 2014 at 2:57 pm

i go on and off with food prep – mostly off since the baby! def do as much as you can while you can cuz once he comes….. itz so hard to find time!! :) :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 19, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I can’t believe you are so close now! All the food looks delicious. Since we are moving in a few weeks it is more “figure out how to cook everything we have in the house” right now. Once we are settled I need to get back on my Sunday food prep!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties May 19, 2014 at 2:59 pm

love this!! I think food prep is one of the best ways to save money– if you know you have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go in the fridge, it’s so much easier to resist the temptation of going to a restaurant! :)

mary @ minutes per mile May 19, 2014 at 3:14 pm

when it comes to prep, I think carrots and potatoes are the most critical prep items! Peeling and cooking them takes forever, so if I can do it in advance I always thanks myself later.
    I think it’s also a good idea to keep quick-cooking whole grains on hand (like instant brown rice, quinoa, and couscous) for when you’re short on time.

Shel@PeachyPalate May 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I chop a lot of raw veggies and make things like burgers and meatballs and sauces to go with them or marinades…I very rarely cook unless it’s hard boiled eggs, pancakes or coconut flour buns. But having stuffed prepared is awesome!!!

Bezzymates May 19, 2014 at 3:49 pm

This comes at the ideal time. I was just complaining to my sister that I am running out of lunch ideas for work. Gotta try those turkey lettuce wraps.

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Wow that is some seriously impressive food prep. Making the batter ahead of time for two ingredient pancakes? Genius! Sometimes mashing that banana takes a while. Same with pre-chopping your veggies for a stir fry. Chopping them is such a pain!

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment May 19, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I used to do all of my food shopping and cooking on Sundays.Now I will just chop up some veggies or make a batch of brown rice or quinoa to have on hand for the week.

Lindsay @ lifting in lilly May 19, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I love meal planning over the weekend and having everything all ready for the week…. It just feels so much more organized and it’s really nice not to have to worry about thinking much about it for the rest of the week! I am sure it’ll be especially helpful when your baby comes!!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles May 19, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I don’t really food prep aside from making steel cut oats in advance for a few days. Otherwise I just make sure we are always stocked with our essentials to easily whip up the meals we are in the mood for….When I first had my son, I was lucky there was food in the house let alone think about cooking (and cleaning up) dinner. Lol ah the memories.

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit May 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm

YES! Love to meal prep and plan on Sundays! I prep a huge salad, chicken, quinoa and Shakeology Protein Balls! I feel so unorganized if I don’t prep.

Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? May 19, 2014 at 4:55 pm

These are great tips! I usually meal plan and then skip the food prep until I’m actually cooking. It is so nice to have some of the prep done ahead of time though! I need to get better at doing Sunday food prep! :)

Abi@AbsofSteel May 19, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I don’t do a big sunday food prep but I usually will make some homemade stuff like bars or bread for the week. I might have to jump aboard the major meal prep though, it sounds like it would be really convenient later in the week.

Kelsey at The Primal Yogi May 19, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Where do you get that 18 pack of eggs? I’ve never seen them in wholefoods!

Tina May 19, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Whole Foods! Both Hingham and South Weymouth carry the 18 packs.

Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 19, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I usually like to go grocery shopping on Sundays and chop my veggies up ahead of time and store them in either Ziploc bags or Tupperware. I have a dry erase board calendar on my fridge where I’ll write my meals down for the week and the pre-chopped veggies always come in handy!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 19, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I always prep all my foods and meals on the weekends for the week. Breakfast, lunch & dinner are made ahead of time. I freeze a lot too. It’s the only way I can survive the long work hours of the week and be healthy!

Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily May 19, 2014 at 6:25 pm

What a great idea! I reeeeeheeeely need to do this! It’s inevitable that one thing or another comes up during the week and we’re eating take out or apples and popcorn for dinner ;)

Monica May 19, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Dang girl! So organized and it all looks delicious! When I prep on Sunday like that the week goes so much better/smoother. Not sure why I don’t do it all the time!

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut May 19, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I do something similar in that I cut up all of our leftover veggies + fruits, hard boil leftover eggs, and just generally clean out the fridge before I go to the grocery store every week. It’s a great way to take inventory of what we already have.
    Yesterday I ended up baking a bunch of potatoes and sweet potatoes to have as quick sides for our meals this week.

Kim @ FITsique May 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Sometimes I wish I planned my days better. When I prep for my figure shows I obviously have everything planned for the week. I am always a step ahead of myself, so I find that when I am not in prep although I still track everything I eat, I tend to eat on the fly.

Miranda B May 19, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Hey! I have tried and tried to do a Sunday food prep but I always end up forgetting and I don’t have room in my fridge! How do you make room? lol I did however make a few breakfast and snack items today so that way I had healthy options to run to later this week!

anne May 20, 2014 at 12:22 am

I love food prep sundays. My faves are 1) chopped marinated veggies (cucumber, celery, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, avocado, with s+p and lots of lemon juice), 2) mini frittatas (eggs + lots of kale) baked in muffin cups, 3) roast veggies (whatever in season) 4) cooked grains (brown rice, buckwheat or quinoa). I also have washed sweet potatoes on hand that I can quickly chop up and bake for a snack and frozen grapes always!

Simone May 20, 2014 at 5:47 am

I usually prep the night before which can be a bit tedious. I am wary of rice…can’t be kept for more than 2-3 days right? But I got some great ideas here w.r.t the fruit and veg. I need to do this…a weekly plan. Will save me so much money and time, vs at 7pm rushing to the shops to get something for the next day and buying unnecessary things.

How long can you store the hard boiled eggs in the fridge?

Annie @ Annie Get Your Run May 20, 2014 at 8:12 am

I am now! I made a great chicken sausage stew in the crock pot on Sunday (it’s basically a Weight Watchers recipe but I put a ton more veggies in) and I have enough to eat all week. It’s so easy! Especially living alone, I don’t feel like cooking after I get home from work and the gym each night. Now I can just heat something up that is fresh and healthy!

Bethany May 20, 2014 at 11:53 am

I do not do Sunday prep. I don’t mind cooking or grocery shopping, but I hate coming up with the meals I will prepare. I do cook Monday-Friday and have some plan I my head when I shop and usually base it on sales.

If you have not tried the WF in house chicken sausage you should. They are great.

Ashley May 21, 2014 at 10:00 am

Meal prepping on Sundays is the best! It really sets you up for success for the week, and its so nice to already have something prepared when you get home from work. You have such great and healthy meal ideas! All your posts make me miss Trader Joes so much though as i’m living in London and they don’t have the chain here!