• Last Week’s Workouts {31 Weeks}

April 6, 2014

Another week of workouts is in the books!

I only did 3 CrossFit workouts + a couple of long walks with Murphy last week, but I seriously kicked my butt on Sunday with Open WOD 14.5, so I took some extra time to recover. No need to overdo it while I am pregnant, right? That said, here’s a look at last week’s workouts!

Sunday: CrossFit

I did Open WOD 14.5 and almost died. Ok, that’s a bit dramatic, but it’s definitely a workout I will never, ever forget. And, holy crap, I was sore for days after it!

Monday: CrossFit

The next day, not surprisingly, I was SUPER SORE from 14.5, especially my quads. As Kerrie put it, it felt like someone put splinters in my quads. Even still, I didn’t want to miss a special Hero WOD that was programmed at 781 for a Boston firefighter who lost his life in action the week before.

Mike “Dork” Kennedy was just 33 years old, a fellow CrossFitter, and a few people from my box actually knew him, so it just wasn’t a workout that I wanted to miss. Like I mentioned, I was insanely sore from the previous day’s workout, so I went really light on “Dork” with 65 pounds for the Back Squats and Deadlifts. It actually might have been too light, but there was no reason for me to push myself when my legs were in so much pain. I finished in 9:09.

Tuesday: 45-minute pug+podcast walk

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 45-minute doggie date/walk + CrossFit

Thursday’s WOD was a long one, but I was definitely looking forward to it after two days off.

For time:
    1000m Row
    50 Walking Lunges
    50 Abmat Sit-ups
    50 KB Deadlifts (70, 53)
    1000m Row
    40 Alternating Reverse Lunges
    40 Hollow Rocks
    40 Russian Swings (70, 53)
    1000m Row
    30 Medball Cleans (20, 14)
    30 Toes to Bar
    30 Alternating Single Arm KB Swing (70, 53)

There were a few movements in it that I wasn’t totally comfortable doing, so my coach and I made some modifications (aka “mods” as Mal and I have been calling them). The workout that I did:

For time:
    1000m Row
    50 Walking Lunges
    60-second Plank Hold
    50 KB Deadlifts (70, 53)
    1000m Row
    40 Alternating Reverse Lunges
    30-second Side Plank Hold (each side)
    40 Russian Swings (70, 53)
    1000m Row
    30 Medball Cleans (20, 14)
    30 Kipping Knee Raises
    30 Alternating Single Arm KB Swing (70, 53)

I wanted to use the 53-pound kettlebell for this workout until I saw the last exercise: Alternating Single Arm KB Swings. Uh, yea, those weren’t going to happen with a 53-pound kettlebell for me, so I used a 35 pounder. I finished the workout in just under 33 minutes.

After class, I stay with Mal and some other CrossFit friends to bust about some Wallballs for our box’s April challenge. 1000 Wallballs? No problem! Haha! I’m honestly not sure if I’ll end up doing all 1000 by the end of the month, but I figured doing some was better than none. I did 70 Wallballs after class—only 930 to go!

photo (15) (640x640)

Friday: Off

Saturday: Off

Kim @ FITsique April 6, 2014 at 9:02 am

You are awesome. You workout more than most non-preggo people I know. You prove there is no excuse good enough :) Have a nice and relaxing weekend!

Livi April 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

1000 wall balls in april?! I love that challenge!!

Simi @ The Micro Harvest April 6, 2014 at 9:24 am

Amazing workouts! You’re rockin’ it!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 6, 2014 at 9:55 am

Awesome workouts yet again! You are doing amazing.

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner April 6, 2014 at 11:43 am

You are doing such an awesome job! Keep up the hard work. :)

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} April 6, 2014 at 11:57 am

So great on the workouts!! Totally rockin’ it!!!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life April 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Great workouts and kudos for taking 3 days off too!

Shel@PeachyPalate April 6, 2014 at 3:19 pm

So funny the 1000 rep challenge! We did (75 of us!) a 1000 kettlebell rep challenge on Saturday morning, took about 45 – 50 mins, ten exercises, 100 reps each and we raised over 6,000 euro for charity! Love the long workout, good mix!

kyla April 6, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Seriously, you are amazing woman! Way to rock the cross fit while being preggo. Baby H will probably come out of the womb ready to do a pull up!

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West April 6, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Great job with the workouts this week. I’m studying to become a personal trainer and I saw an article about specializations today, for some reason I thought I would mention it to you because of your love of your dog. There are some trainers in bigger cities holding “doggie date” workouts, where there are exercises for people designed around incorporating their pet. What a cool idea to get more people exercising who may not want to if they couldn’t bring their dog. Seen anything like in your area?

Emily April 6, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Sounds like a killer week! I hope I’m digging in as well as you are when I’m 31 weeks along!

Any advice for Crossfit workouts without having a full gym? I try to play around with the main page workouts from time to time, but sometimes lack the right equipment or skill (some stuff I don’t know how to scale). Do you know of any resources for Crossfitting at home? Thank you in advance!

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast April 7, 2014 at 9:07 am

You’re doing awesome with your workouts! I remember in the last month or two, my energy changed dramatically day by day. I just took advantage of it whenever I did feel good!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance April 7, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I really love reading about how you are fitting in all your workouts even in your third trimester. It’s really inspiring!

Ashley April 10, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Hi Tina,

Congrats on your pregnancy!! I was wondering if you ever worry about your heart rate getting to high during a crossfit WOD? I heard that doctors don’t want your heartrate over 150 bpm. Do you know if this is true? Thanks!!

Tina April 10, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I personally never worry about my heart rate getting too high (I actually don’t track it at all) because my doctor said those numbers are out-of-date, but you should talk to your doctor and figure out what’s best for you! 😄

Ashley April 13, 2014 at 6:12 pm