• Knock ‘Em Down, Build ‘Em Up Workout

February 28, 2014

Good morning! Happy Friday! I have a delicious breakfast and a full-body, butt-kicking workout for you this morning!

A delicious breakfast: Greek yogurt mixed with defrosted frozen blueberries, sliced almonds, and French toast granola from Nature Box and an iced decaf almond latte.

A full-body, butt-kicking workout: Knock ‘Em Down, Build ‘Em Up Workout.

Knock_'Em_Down_Build_'Em_Up_Workout

One of many basement workouts to come!

basement_WOD

For this workout, the only equipment you need is a set of medium-to-light weight dumbbells. (There’s a lot of reps!) I also used a Bosu for the Burpees and did Squat Thrusts on it as a pregnancy modification, but if you’re not pregnant, enjoy those Burpees!

As for the rep scheme, here’s how you do this workout: Start with 12 reps of each exercise and then “knock ‘em down” one rep at a time for each set. So, for example, you’ll do 12 Burpees, 12 air squats, 12 front raises, 11 Burpees, 11 air squats, 11 front raises, and so on. When you get to 1 rep of each of these exercises, you will “build ‘em up” all the way back up to 12 reps of each (i.e. 1 Burpee, 1 air squat, 1 front raise, 2 Burpees, 2 air squats, 2 front raises and so on.) By the end of the workout, you’ll have completed 155 reps of each exercise. Happy sweating!

Note: Please consult your doctor before starting a new exercise program.

Health News & Views

Now that I’m approaching my third trimester, I’m starting to feel just how pregnant I really am—especially when it comes to working out. Obviously, my growing baby bump and extra weight make my usual workouts more challenging, but I pay close attention to how my body feels from day to day, which has helped me stay active throughout my pregnancy so far. (Though I have had to tweak my routine…more on that below.)

Nowadays, it’s well established that women who were active before getting pregnant can safely remain active. But, of course, every woman’s pregnancy is different and you should talk to your doctor about your current habits or before starting a new exercise routine. That said, here are 7 things you need to know about working out during pregnancy.

7 Things You Need to Know About Working Out During Pregnancy

pregnant-400x400

Mal and I are heading to New York City! Enjoy the weekend, friends!

P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway to win some goodies from Cascadian Farms!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} February 28, 2014 at 8:19 am

Great way to start the morning, power packed breakfast and power packed workout. Have a great and safe trip!

Megan @ Anything But Cake February 28, 2014 at 8:34 am

I think it’s great that you’re staying active and listening to your body. Working out is challenging enough. I can’t even imagine doing it while pregnant!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 28, 2014 at 8:35 am

AWESOME workout! I’m trying to incorporate Burpees into my workouts again, it’s been too long since I’ve done them so now even just a few totally kick my butt!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 28, 2014 at 8:37 am

Have fun in NYC! I love the idea of counting down – that way each time you make it through a set you know the next one will be shorter!

Tina February 28, 2014 at 8:38 am

Well, then you count up, which was SO HARD! Haha!

Heather @fitncookies February 28, 2014 at 8:41 am

Have fun in NYC! I am so glad to hear if you are active before pregnancy you can remain active :) I’ve obviously seen lots of people do it, but never gave it a thought that you needed to be active before. This workout looks TOUGH! But also fun :)

Brynn February 28, 2014 at 8:47 am

Wow, looks like an awesome workout! I can’t wait to try this out today since it is -22 degrees outside, yikes!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 28, 2014 at 8:51 am

What a great idea putting little latte in your breakfast! Do you make your own? I’m looking for a slender version. Have a great time in NYC! I love it there!

Jamie @ Dishing Out Health February 28, 2014 at 9:19 am

Your almond milk lattes always look so delicious! I’ll definitely be trying out this workout!

Abby February 28, 2014 at 9:20 am

I was going to saaayy… maybe you could flip flop it. Count UP, then count down. Same number of reps, but mentally more rewarding. :) Looks like a killer.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 28, 2014 at 9:23 am

Yummm, looks like a great breakfast! I’m loving the looks of the workout too! Have fun in NYC!

Miriam February 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

About pregnancy workouts. I truly agree that the line to remember is : Listen to your body! In my case it is very frustrating not to be able to work out as much as I want but then, I think of the baby. (I’m at 19 weeks)

I prefer to do short and low intensity workouts so I don’t burn myself out. Breathing is also a major issue for me. So even low intensity can be challenging. That said, if I don’t feel like working out, I don’t. I don’t overdo it and I don’t push myself if I don’t feel like working out. I even sometimes force myself to rest, which is very frustrating, but for the best. Because now is not the time to “get in the best shape” or “push myself to my limits”, now is the time to care about baby to come! :)

Becky@TheSavedRunner February 28, 2014 at 9:49 am

That workout looks simple, but definitely hard! All of those burpees, whoo, I’m tired thinking about it. ;)

Annette@FitnessPerks February 28, 2014 at 9:51 am

That workout looks awesome. Way to stick with workouts during pregnancy! You will be SO glad you did. :)
    Have fun in NYC!

Jackie February 28, 2014 at 10:01 am

Have fun in NYC!!!

Becky @ Life Outside The BOX February 28, 2014 at 10:04 am

This would be a great hotel/travel workout. Sometimes I am required to travel for work and I hate missing out on the daily WOD’s. Most hotels don’t provide barbells so I’m usually forced to get creative with dumbbells. Congrats on your super fit and active pregnancy thus far! :)

Linda @ running4two February 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

Sounds like a great workout! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend! You are too cute BTW. :-)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 28, 2014 at 10:15 am

What a wonderful breakfast idea! I’m definitely going to need to try that! Have a great time it NYC!

Jenny February 28, 2014 at 10:38 am

Enjoy New York!!

Christina February 28, 2014 at 10:42 am

Can I ask how you make those almond milk latte? Your iced coffee always looks so good!

Tina February 28, 2014 at 10:55 am

I use our Nespresso machine to make the espresso and then just add ice and almond milk! :)

Ellen Renee February 28, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Tina …. if you think about it and have the time could you do a video on how your Nespresso works? I was thinking you chose one to do the milk for lattes – was interested to see how that all comes together. I like the looks of them…but I don’t personally know anyone who owns one.

Tina February 28, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I think the Nespresso website actually has videos on it to show you how their machines work. It’s so easy! It seriously takes me 90 seconds (or less) to make an iced latte! 😄

Tina February 28, 2014 at 8:15 pm
    Livi February 28, 2014 at 11:07 am

that workout looks awesome!! I can’t wait to try it at-home!

Lisa @ runnermamablogger February 28, 2014 at 11:40 am

Your breakfast looks and sounds delicious. Have fun in NYC.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 28, 2014 at 11:52 am

I can’t believe you are almost already in your 3rd trimester! That little one will be here before you know it! <3 So excited for you and Mal!

Taylee @ twist me fit February 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I love when people remain active during pregnancy. It’s great motivation! :-)

Ashley February 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I love the idea of knock em down build em up work outs! Love that you can do them with any exercise you choose!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork February 28, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for sharing! I am often working out at home and find it hard to come up with my own workouts sometimes. Enjoy NYC (hope it’s warmer than here!)!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit February 28, 2014 at 1:05 pm

So, do you have an espresso machine then for your lattes?! That workout looks killer! Have fun in NYC – I miss it!

Alex @ Kenzie Life February 28, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Have a great weekend!

Shelley L February 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm

When you say “front raises” are you referring to front shoulder raises? Thanks!

Tina February 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Yep!

Haley February 28, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hi Tina,

Any advice for a substitution if I don’t have the weights? Heading on a trip and would love to do some of these types of workouts beach side- I was thinking push ups or something for the arms/shoulders- but may be too similar to the burpees?

Thanks!

Tina February 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Hmm… Push-ups would definitely be an arm-smoker! You could switch it up and do tricep dips. Or maybe use some water bottles as weights or pack a resistance band? You could even nix the arm exercise all together and make it a leg-focused workout– try alternating lunges or curtesy squats. Hope these ideas help! 😄💪

Amanda March 1, 2014 at 1:05 am

Thank you for your article on exercising while pregnant! I am 14 weeks and just finished the open WOD. I have been constantly disappointed in my performance as a CrossFitter lately and not being able to keep up with my peers like I used to. It’s hard to remind myself that I’m growing life and I’m supposed to step it back a notch. It means a lot to see that not everyone who was training hard beforehand will still feel like a superstar athlete when they are pregnant.

Kelly March 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm

That workout sounds killer!! I’m going to do it in the morning. I am so impressed with your pregnancy workouts. I had a high risk pregnancy due to my previous miscarriages and trouble conceiving so I was on a strict “no more than walking” exercise routine. It was tough at first to go from being so active to not but in the end I really ended up enjoying the break and now that I’ve started working out again I feel like I’ve been reunited with an old friend. :)