• Runner’s World Festival Half Marathon

October 22, 2013

I did it! I survived the “Hat Trick!”

On Sunday morning, I woke up a little tired and sore, but, overall, I felt pretty good, and I was ready to run 13.1 miles.

Once again, it was chilly before the race, so a bunch of us waited until the very last minute to check our bags.

A few of us actually waited so long, we cut it pretty close to the race start. I was still making my way through the crowds to get into the right pace group when the gun went off. Oops!

Apparently, I was still fidgeting around with my watch or Spibelt or something because my timing chip never registered when I ran over the mat. I have a feeling it was all bunched up under my Spibelt because I was so focused on starting my watch at the right time. Whomp whomp. Obviously, I didn’t realize this until I looked up my results online and saw that my clock and net time were the exact same. Oh, well.

The race itself was tough. SO MANY HILLS! It was a beautiful course, especially with all of the colorful fall foliage, but holy crap. Hills for days!!

My legs actually started to feel tired on mile 2. MILE 2!! GAH! I knew right away I probably wasn’t going to achieve my A goal for the race, which was running a sub 2-hour half marathon, but I still kept my eyes peeled for the 2-hour pace group, just in case I could maybe keep up with them.

The first 6 miles of the half were so, so hard for me. Physically, I was tired from the previous day’s races, but, mentally, the thought of running another 7, 8, 9 miles just seemed so overwhelming. I ended up using a number of mental tricks and thinking a lot about Dave McGillivray’s talk to help get me through. I just took the race mile by mile.

• Mile 1: 9:05
    • Mile 2: 9:31
    • Mile 3: 9:38
    • Mile 4: 9:27
    • Mile 5: 10:02
    • Mile 6: 9:50
    • Mile 7: 9:45
    • Mile 8: 10:02
    • Mile 9: 9:45

IMG_7523

Before I knew it, I was at mile 10 and 3 more miles didn’t seem so bad. At this point, most of the pain I felt in my legs just sort of went away. I didn’t miraculously feel better, but I was able to just keep trucking along. It was also pretty exciting counting down those last few miles. Three miles… two miles… one mile!

• Mile 10: 9:33
    • Mile 11: 9:37
    • Mile 12: 9:38
    • Mile 13: 9:02

Total: 2:06:51 (9:40) [Official time: 2:08:59]

photo (4)

Brittany snapped this photo of me just as I’m about to cross the finish line. I look like I am in so much pain! Haha!

credit: Eating Bird Food

Post-race with Theodora!

Blogger crew!

After the race, I ate an apple, drank a coconut water (LOVE that the race provided them), and three of these coconut macaroon Larabars, which are heavenly.

All in all, I am really happy with my performance at the Hat Trick. I didn’t break any PRs, but I achieved both my B and C goals for the half marathon, which were running the whole 13.1 miles without stopping and finishing in one piece! Woohoo!

After the race, I headed back to the hotel, showered up, packed up, and went to Ruby Tuesday’s for lunch, which was a mile-high salad with all sorts of goodies. The croutons at Ruby Tuesday’s? HELLO! I went back for a second plate with just croutons on it. They’re like little bites of garlic bread.

After lunch, I grabbed my stuff and hopped in a shuttle along with Monica, Sarah, Janae, and Brittany to the airport. On the drive, we took a little pit stop to get some froyo.

These ladies have the best ideas!

All in all, I loved my experience at the Runner’s World Festival & Half, and I would definitely go again. It’s not a weekend where you just slap on a bib and run. There is so much more to the weekend. Talks, dinners, and access to running celebrities and Runner’s World editors—I probably bumped into Bart Yasso a half dozen times over the course of the weekend. The races were also really well-organized with lots of volunteers, easy packet pick up and bag check, plenty of porta-potties, etc. And, of course, running through Bethlehem, Pennsylvania in mid-October was absolutely gorgeous. All three courses were beautiful!

A huge THANK YOU to Runner’s World for inviting me and covering the cost of my travel and accommodations this weekend. I had a blast, and I can’t wait for next year!

Questions of the Day

What’s your next running/fitness goal?

What should my next running/fitness goal be?

P.S. Just wanted to share this: RunningSkirts Skirtlympics at Runner’s World Half Marathon and Festival. The part with Bart is so funny!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food October 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

Ruby Tuesday’s croutons are the best! So glad you enjoyed your weekend in PA…it is definitely beautiful here this time of year!

Amy @ Healthy and Fit for Real October 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

Great job Tina! So impressed!! I know you said that the weekend was more than just a race weekend because it included talks, meetings with celebs, and dinners but I’m wondering if those things are available to the people who weren’t invited by Runner’s World? Obviously some of it isn’t open to all but was anyone who was running able to go see the talks?

Tina October 23, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Yep, all of the talks were open to the public! Basically, anything that was online was open to all. The only things that were separate and just for our group were included in the post that I tagged “blogger events.”

Laura @ RunningJunkie October 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

My next running goal is to PR at a half marathon in March!

Amanda October 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Congrats on the Hat Trick! I can’s understand why your legs would be tired by the half marathon… lol :) Sounds like such a fun time though, I would LOVE to go next year. I love Runners World & Bart Yasso is the best!

Alyssa October 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Glad you had such an awesome time! :)

Sara @ Zero to Sixy October 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Wow really good job on the half marathon! Your last mile is awesome time!! :) I have no idea what my next fitness goal is going to be. Its so hard to pick one because there are not any races during the winter really… I was actually googling “Winter Fitness Programs” last night. So let me know if you come up with anything good! :)

Sara :)

zahra farazandeh October 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

How do you feel the day after running a half-marathon? Are you used to it after running so many, or are you super sore?

Tina October 23, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I wasn’t really sore at all. Just tired overall.

Jessica R @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad October 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Nice job doing all three races! That is quite an accomplishment in such a short amount of time! My next health goal is to get faster at running and to improve my overall fitness. To do that I am adding in more speed work, less overall miles, cross training and strength work. It is a lot but I really enjoy it.

Melisa October 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I really enjoyed your recaps. Makes me really want to shoot for this next year.

Sam October 23, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought the hills were insane! This was definitely the hardest half marathon I’ve done so far (which isn’t saying much considering my other three have been completely flat, but still…). And I have to agree, Ruby Tuesday will always have the best croutons. I pretty much add the salad bar to all my meals just to eat them.

Sarah @ Licorice & Olives October 23, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Oh my goodness, what a great effort to get through all 3 races, congratulations! Also, Fro-yo is always a good idea.

Megan Infantino October 23, 2013 at 9:32 pm

My next running goal is actually coming up this weekend – The 38th Marine Corps Marathon! My first marathon. Running this particular marathon has been my goal since 2004, when my husband joined the Marine Corps. I’m finally making it happen!

You’re next fitness goal? Another CrossFit competition maybe? I just competed in my first CrossFit competition last weekend. The Festivus – It’s geared towards the notice and intermediate. No fire breathers. Very cool and well put together competition! Loved every minute of it and placed 6th overall!

lisa @ early morning run October 23, 2013 at 11:41 pm

sounds like such a fantastic time and congrats on the hat trick! My immediate health/fitness goal is to get over this cold/flu/coughing thing that has been plaguing me for the past week and a half so I can get back to running and maybe run two upcoming races in her Denver in November! Then focus on 2014!

cara October 26, 2013 at 10:27 am

what was your time? who won out of the bloggers? I am guessing hungry girl- Janae is on fire!!