• I’m Terrible at Sharing Apple Crisp

October 31, 2013

Good morning and happy Halloween!!

happyhalloween_pug

Murphy is pumped about tonight… new people, kids running to our house, doorbells… he can’t wait for his (least) favorite holiday.

IMG_5060-750x563

Poor Murphy. Mal and I have a few plans in the works for this year. Hopefully, it’ll help keep Murphy calm when the Trick-or-Treaters arrive at our house tonight.

Breakfast

Yesterday’s breakfast is definitely a new favorite: yogurt with trail mix! It was so delicious, I immediately went back for a second serving.

photo (15)

Lunch

A few hours later, my stomach started to grumble, so I whipped up a delicious bowl of spaghetti squash with a couple of wedges of white cheddar Laughing Cow mixed in. Oh my gosh, it was so good!

photo (4) (600x600)

Snack

After lunch, I did some more work and then took a little break to get some chores done around the house—laundry, emptied the dishwasher, brewed coffee for iced coffee—and then I remembered that I told Mal I would make him some of my Mom’s Apple Crisp since I ate the entire batch that I made over the weekend all by myself.

This actually happens all the time and then I feel bad that I didn’t share. (I know, I am a terrible wife sometimes.) Maybe I should start making two separate batches of apple crisp—one for Mal and one for me—so he gets his own, and I don’t eat it all? I can’t be trusted around this stuff.

photo (5) (600x450)

RER Pile on the Miles

My friend Monica is hosting her 5th annual Pile on the Miles challenge!

Pile On The Miles is an annual event in blogland where we challenge ourselves to walk or run more during the month of November. The goal is to pile on extra miles not pounds during this food filled time of year!

Check it out! It’s a great way to get motivated and there are some awesome prizes to be won. I actually just signed up myself!

pile-on-the-miles-2013

Albion Fit Giveaway

Thanks to everyone who entered to win a $200 gift certificate to Albion Fit! Here’s your winner:

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life

I love The Sweet Stripe Full Zip, Seafoam / Grey!

Congrats, Miranda! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com to claim your prize!

If you’re loving what you saw on Albion Fit, you can save $20 off any purchase of $100 or more with the code carrotscake20 (valid through Friday 11/1).

What’s something you have trouble sharing?

P.S. Earlier this week, I listened to a really great episode of Revolution Health Radio with Chris Kresser about how to be “insanely productive.” It’s a two-part series, and the first part was really interesting and helpful. Just sharing!

Danica @ It's Progression October 31, 2013 at 7:44 am

There’s actually a little bowl in our pantry that’s deemed as just my food – sometimes it’s products for blog review, so my husband can’t have them, but really I just put things in there I want to myself (chocolate, larabars, etc.)…Apparently I’m not so great at sharing food all the time either haha

Megan (The Lyons' Share) October 31, 2013 at 11:06 am

@Danica @ It’s Progression: Danica, this makes me laugh because it’s SO me – I totally have my own bucket in the pantry that my husband is supposed to stay out of! Keep your hands out of my chocolate stash! :)

Molly October 31, 2013 at 7:47 am

I was just thinking about ways to get myself to run more, I was considering signing up for a race but there aren’t any I have yet that I want to sign up for. Looks like I don’t have an excuse now!

I have trouble sharing my sun butter- is that weird? It is so pricey and so good I hate when people use it but try to act like it is fine. hahaa.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 31, 2013 at 7:48 am

Caramel candy corn. Brach’s came out with it last year (as far as I know) and OMG that stuff is SOOO addictive. We thought they stopped making it but found it on a last ditch trip to Walmart and polished off the whole bag last weekend. It was hard to give the hubby his handful or not want to short him a few. ;-)

Melissa October 31, 2013 at 7:49 am

Yum, the yogurt with trail mix sounds great! I have trouble sharing cantaloupe.. it’s just so yummy!

Livi October 31, 2013 at 7:49 am

I canNOT share coffee with anyone! It’s mine and allllllll mine :)

Nicole @ FruitnFitness October 31, 2013 at 7:49 am

Murphy is so cute in his little halloween outfit, too bad he doesn’t like all the trick or treaters. Knowing me if I made two of those apple crisps I would probably just eat both of them, I usually have to get my favorite baked goods out of the house!

Madison October 31, 2013 at 7:58 am

I can share savory stuff really easy but desserts: they are miiiiine! haha just kidding, I let my husband have some. :)

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl October 31, 2013 at 8:06 am

I have a very hard time sharing brownies. Luckily, most mixes make a lot. Happy Halloween!

Jackie October 31, 2013 at 8:24 am

Nachos and froyo!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 31, 2013 at 8:44 am

Happy Halloween! I am really bad at sharing apples. I have no idea, but when I see my husband eat one I freak out that I won’t have any for the week! I am not really sure why!? I guess that is why I bought 3 2lb. bags of apples this week :) I signed up for Pile on the Miles, can’t wait!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food October 31, 2013 at 8:44 am

I’m not great at sharing either, which makes me feel terrible cause my husband shares everything with me! If I look even a little bit interested in what he’s eating he’ll give me the last few bites, he’ll even share his french fries when we go out. It’s really sweet.

Rita October 31, 2013 at 8:47 am

What are some of the things you are planning on doing to help keep Murphy calm. My pug (Mylo) is bound to get crazy with all the noise and it’s our first time in this neighborhood so I’m not sure how loud it will be.

I really need to make your mom’s apple crisp one of these weekends!

Theresa October 31, 2013 at 9:04 am

The rule in our house is “You snooze, you lose!” LOL If my husband wants to eat something delicious I’ve made, he better get in there before I eat it all or he’s out of luck! As if I’m going to let things like apple crisp sit around the house waiting for him to eat them haha :)

Tina October 31, 2013 at 10:27 am

Haha! That should be our rule! 😄

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution October 31, 2013 at 9:05 am

I can’t share sweets. I’ve even been known to hide the last few cookies, chocolates, etc so that my husband doesn’t know of their existence.

Holly October 31, 2013 at 9:12 am

I just ate an entire jar of Trader Joe’s cookie butter all by myself. My husband got half a spoonful. Happy Halloween!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 31, 2013 at 9:12 am

Murphy is so cute! I have trouble sharing these gummy candies that you can only buy in Australia. When I get them, I never share. I don’t care who you are!

Kristi October 31, 2013 at 9:15 am

I am terrible at sharing candy. It doesn’t matter what kind it is either! I think it’s because I don’t buy it often that I feel like it’s all mine lol.

Linda @ running4two October 31, 2013 at 9:19 am

Ice cream…don’t even try to have any of “my half gallon”. LOL.

D October 31, 2013 at 9:29 am

Murphy rocks! Did you ever try giving him an almost empty plastic jar of peanut butter? My dogs work so hard trying to get at the little bit of PB left that they pretty much don’t notice anything else. Might be hard for a cute little pug face though.

I have trouble sharing my food in general! ;)

Tina October 31, 2013 at 11:02 am

Oh, yes, he loves the empty nut butter jars! 😄

Amanda @ There Are 2 Sides October 31, 2013 at 9:45 am

I made your light apple crisp a few weeks ago and I ate ALL of it within 24 hours. Holy hell was it good!

Sim @ The Micro Harvest October 31, 2013 at 9:45 am

nut butters!!!! I will take down a jar before Tim even gets to make one pb & j :)

mary @ minutes per mile October 31, 2013 at 9:49 am

animal crackers. they are just addictive and i get mad when my husband eats one of mine! haha

Shel@PeachyPalate October 31, 2013 at 9:51 am

I make an almost raw banoffi which is seriously amazing – not just blowing my own trumpet, it’s awesome! I have a LOT of trouble sharing!

Sara @fitcupcaker October 31, 2013 at 10:03 am

I have trouble sharing any dessert lol :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 31, 2013 at 10:35 am

Awww poor murph! Haha and I live alone so I don’t have the sharing issue, but when I’m home for the holidays I always make big batches so everyone has enough (aka everyone can have a little when I’m done with it…)

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed October 31, 2013 at 10:55 am

other than my feelings? JK! I’m great at sharing those.

Don’t go near my coffee. I’ll cut a bitch.

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 31, 2013 at 11:37 am

Not food…but I have trouble sharing the television haha :-)

I have trouble sharing wine and cheese…I realize by nature it’s something you tend to share but I feel like I always end up drinking most of the wine and eating most of the cheese haha

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 31, 2013 at 11:37 am

AHHHH I’M SO EXCITED THAT I WON!!! :) I’m emailing you right now. Murphy is too cute- I can’t even. My dog freaks out during Halloween too! Oh and my mom sent my fiance some cookies and I ate them all. So if you’re horrible, I’m horrible as well ;)

Laura T. October 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm

i LOVED chris kresser’s podcast this past week! usually they’re super scientific and kind of hard to understand (he’s an absolute genius), but i found this particular podcast to be super helpful. i’m in the process of writing my thesis and could definitely benefit from the tips in that podcast!

Ashlee@HisnHers October 31, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I saw that spaghetti squash combo on IG and I cannot wait to try that out. It’s gotta be delicious!

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind October 31, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I’m terrible at sharing popcorn of any kind. All mine!

Ashley @ BrocBlog October 31, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I dont share my candy.

happy halloween!

Cassie October 31, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I’m really weird at sharing food that is specifically for me… things I make or bake for other people I never touch… but if I get something special no one better touch it!

Ashley October 31, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I am awful at sharing pretty much any dessert! I’m the worst…I have been known to smack Zach’s hand to keep him away! Terrible…

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves October 31, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I absolutely love apple crisp! Especially a la mode. Speaking of which, I have a lot of trouble sharing ice cream. It’s kinda bad..

Katie November 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

My sister makes these “bars of heaven” and has them in her goodie tin that she hands out at Christmas. I have accepted the fact that I will consume all of them, and that my husband is lucky if he gets 2! I’m sure the recipe is super easy, but I won’t let her give it to me…..I would be really fluffy!

Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. November 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

I have a feeling if you make two apple crisps that Mal’s may mysteriously be eaten by someone else. ;)

Niki Mosier November 1, 2013 at 12:29 pm

mmm apple crisp!

Tiffany November 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the November Pile on the Miles challenge! I just signed up! Bring.it.on.November.

Erin H. November 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Do you make your spaghetti squash ahead of time and then store it? I have never made it before and would love to make a batch, then save it to use through out the week.

Tina November 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Yep! I just put it in Tupperware.