• What To Pack for a CrossFit Competition

July 9, 2013

Hi, friends!

Ever since I blogged about my first CrossFit competition, I’ve received a number of questions asking about what I packed (food included), so I decided to write a post about it.

CrossFit Team JV

I should start by pointing out that I’ve only done one CrossFit competition, so I am definitely not an expert when it comes to this type of stuff. This post is based on my own personal experience and what worked for me on competition day.

what to pack for a crossfit competition

EQUIPMENT

The night before the competition, I went through all of the workouts and made a list of equipment needed for each one. I basically went head-to-toe (headband to Nanos) for each workout, so I made sure I had everything I needed for competition day.

What I packed:

• Reebok Nanos
    • Oly shoes
    • Jump rope
    • Water bottle
    • Chalk
    • Athletic tape
    • Foam roller
    • Yoga mat (for stretching)

Other equipment you might want to pack:

• Gloves/wraps
    • PVC pipe
    • Weightlifting belt
    • Bands
    • Lacrosse or baseball
    • Blender bottle

bro workout 3

CLOTHES

I got insanely sweaty during the workouts, so I was really happy to have a change of clothes between WODs, so I wasn’t sitting around in wet clothes all day. The list below is what I packed and doesn’t include what I wore to the competition.

What I packed:

• Tank tops (2)
    • Tall socks
    • Regular socks (2)
    • Shorts
    • Sports bra
    • Long-sleeve shirt
    • Headband
    • Hair elastics
    • Flip flops
    • Sunglasses

Other clothes you might want to pack:

• Compression gear
    • Knee sleeves
    • Hat
    • Bandana
    • Hoodie
    • Sweatpants

workout 3

HEALTH & BEAUTY

Our coaches packed a first aid kit, so I didn’t pack one myself, but don’t assume the hosting CrossFit box will have one. Even if they do, it might not have what you need/want. Come prepared or coordinate with others, so you have everything you need.

What I packed:

• Sunblock
    • Deodorant
    • Chapstick
    • Tissues
    • Tylenol
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Cleansing Wipes

Other health and beauty products you might want to pack:

• First aid kit
    • Ice pack
    • Hand care tools
    • Bug spray
    • Medical tape

FOOD

One of our coaches gave us the best advice for what food to pack. She said: “Bring what you know you will want to eat.” So, for example, don’t bring chicken and broccoli just because it’s healthy and what you think you should pack for a competition. Instead, pack your favorite foods. You’re going to be exhausted after the workouts and you need to get calories into your system, so think about what you can stomach after a tough workout. For me, I can’t usually eat very much after a hard workout, so I packed coconut water, iced tea, and grapes (mostly water), so I could at least drink some calories. I eventually ate some avocado chicken salad and Paleo chocolate chip cookies when my appetite came back. Bottom line: pack what you know you’ll want to eat.

What I packed (for Mal and me):

• 3-gallon jug of water (don’t assume there will be some)
    • Bananas
    • Ice

MISCELLANEOUS

What I packed:

• Foldable chairs
    • Towel
    • Camera
    • Plastic bags for sweaty clothes

What are some items that you NEED to have when you workout?

CrossFit friends: Did I miss anything?

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run July 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Are you and Mal planning to do more comps!? Seems like you had a blast :)

Tina July 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm

We don’t have anything on the agenda, but I’m sure we’ll do another one! :)

Danielle @ Food-Dee.com July 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Two things I brought that made me happy at the Garage Games: 1) flip flops for my sweaty feet and 2) a small towel soaked in water and left in the cooler over ice. The chipper WOD we did was outside in the hot sun, and the towel around my neck really cooled me down.

The grapes are a great idea! I like cut oranges to eat after a workout to get some fresh, sweet hydration in me.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More July 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm

@Danielle @ Food-Dee.com: Good idea! My girls play softball and tournaments can be long. I always have a bowl with lid of ice water with at least two washcloths in it. That way, my daughter can switch out for a cold one when the other one gets hot. This really helps cool them down!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More July 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

@Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More: Forgot to mention the bowl is kept in the cooler.

Angie July 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I am on the fence about doing a CF competition! How was it for you?
    Thanks for the tid bits on what to bring!!

Tina July 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Awesome! Loved it! :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I’m just trying to get started in CrossFit let alone a competition! Haha!

Lindsay@LifeAfterDairy July 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm

If you have the time, chopping up some honeydew or canteloupe is a great option. It’s wonderful post-running, so I bet it would be great post-crossfitting too.

Jenn July 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Are your Oly shoes the same size as your nanos?

Tina July 9, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Yep! :)

Xai July 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I totally consider myself an exercise newbie so crossfit always looks so intimidating to me! Do crossfit competitions usually last the whole day?

Tina July 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm

It depends on the competition. The one I did was just one day, but some are two or three days.

Meghan July 11, 2013 at 7:18 pm

@Xai: Some can be even shorter…I did a 5k WOD a couple weeks ago and each heat was capped at 50 minutes. You only had to do the one event. It was really fun!

sara @ fitcupcaker July 9, 2013 at 3:14 pm

You did good for your first competition. Of course ive never competed but Ill come back to your list if I do!

Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl\ July 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm

When I work out I have to have my jump rope, resistance bands and an electrolyte mix with me! I get really dehydrated really fast because of a blood issue so electrolytes are a must!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 9, 2013 at 3:42 pm

That’s so cool that you did a competition! That seems like a lot of stuff when you write it all out, but it’s so much better to be prepared than to be left wanting. Mmmmm grapes. Sounds yummy to me right now!

Christine@ Apple of My Eye July 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Love all these tips! They seem perfect for any day-long physical activity as well. I don’t personally do crossfit, but I love going on sweaty and long hikes and am going to remember this post before packing up my backpack next time :)

Elle @ The Clean Project July 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I gotta have my water bottle, IPod and my lifting gloves. I feel all wrong when I accidentally leave one of those things at home.

Cindy July 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’ve done a couple crossfit comps. They are so fun and yet so challenging!!! As is the WOD on a daily basis!! Great list of what to include. My husband and I are getting ready for two upcoming comps. One in August and one in September. I like the cold towel left in the freezer overnight from one of the comments. I know the August comp is outside. Here in IL in August will be warm and humid! We lucked out last August when we did this one. It was a “cooler” summer day here. Looking forward to the comps! Both team – August – team of 3 females; Sept – team of 6 – 3 guys/3 girls. Fun times!

Tina July 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Good luck!!!

Rachel July 9, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I haven’t competed but I usually go to the competitions to cheer on the competitors from my box! Looks like a thorough list!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com July 9, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I must have something to keep my hair out of my face or it drives me nuts! That and water.

Ashley July 9, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Woah intense! I feel like Id have the same packing list for a long weekend or a camping trip haha.

Kelly@KellyRunsforFood July 9, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Girl, you are a beast! Cross Fit still seems kind of scary to me. I need two items when I work out: Music to listen to and a towel because I get super sweaty.

Ally July 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Beef jerky is always a good option. Progenex is always a great brand for their recovery stuff, too.

It’s always better to overpack for these things. You never know what you’re going to want/need so come prepared.

I used the same mindset when I did my GORUCK last week. Always better to have more than you think you’ll need. Now to decide whether I want to do another CrossFit competition, or another GORUCK.

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom July 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm

If I’m at the gym working out, I NEED a bath towel (hand towel is not enough, I’m gross) and a huge bottle of water. If I’m running, I need my running shoes, shorts, and sports bra, of course :D

Elizabeth @ Positive Changes July 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm

What a great list for those who do crossfit! I need my Garmin when I am running and my Waver Riders!

Heather @ Housewife Glamour July 9, 2013 at 7:13 pm

GOOD LUCK Tina!!! Can’t wait to read about this. Great post! :)

Tina July 9, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Thanks! We had a ton of fun at the competition!

Beth July 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Hey Tina – what recipe do you use for avocado chicken salad? That sounds like a delicious lunch to make for tomorrow!

Tina July 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I just mix chunked chicken with avocado, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Simple and delicious! :)

Mary July 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm

What did Mal bring for you?!

Dee July 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

So …I eat like 5 cups + of grapes a day/night. Kind of addicted to fruit.

Oops.

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green July 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing. It is always so interesting to see what people pack for competitions/runs. I’m an over packer so I always have waaay too much stuff with me when I travel. I should really focus on the necessities.

Kimberlie July 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This is a great list! I’m going to refer to it when packing for my first powerlifting competition next month.

Note for myself: add knee sleeves, knee wraps, iPad with camera connect kit, stiff stick, foam roller and toothbrush (I have braces..never leave home without it).

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I always need water and my ipod. A Sweat towel is good too and notes of my previous workouts so I remember what weight to use.

Krista Lynn July 9, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Hello Tina, I’m new to your blog after 2 people recommended it yesterday. After a consult with (yet another) doc yesterday, I’m being referred to GI doctor (the wait list is LONG,,,months!), he suspects chron’s or UC. Despite eating a tremendous amount of food (I’m a night eater!) I have lost weight which makes no sense, since I am not an exerciser (I’m struggling with hormone imbalance and adrenal fatigue). So I don’t seem to be actually absorbing my nutrients. I am honestly in awe at your athletics and energy. I feel like I’m hit by a train every single day.
    Anyway, he recommended I keep eats very simple and basic and I’ve no idea how or where to start! Can you give me tips on simple, easy to digest meals (breakfast and lunch included) because I’m very uncertain of what to eat anymore. Some google searches sent me into an all-night pinterist stalking and that was overwhelming, ha. I don’t know if beans are a no-no. I’d like to include a protein powder but not sure which one (saw some neat look shake recipes that used silk dark chocolate milk!). I’m already eating one avocado a day.
    My doc also said I’m low sodium, but the idea of adding too much salt freaks me out a little. I’m confused on what/how to eat to be honest and know I need to keep it very simple. How are you with things like hummus? peanut butter? add oil to everything? breakfast suggestions?
    I’ve always been a huge nut attacker (like 1/2 cup per day of roasted nuts, not counting the nut butters). I especially love cashews and brazil nuts! But now I’m wondering if this is much too difficult to digest also. I unfortunately can’t find things like grass fed or organic meats, so I’m not sure if its beneficial to consume a lot of that. Eat fish every day? Not sure that’s a great great idea!
    I don’t want recipes that use like 20 different ingredients I can’t find or buy, ha. But I don’t want heavy, hard to digest stuff either. I guess I really DO need simple you know? I mmight try a couple days of something with just a lot of fruit or something, but maybe that’s wrong and I need to focus on opposite. It’s confusing.
    I do know that my stomach is a mess! And I hate that others have recommended books to me (Undiet , or paleo books) that promote opposite approaches. I just need a starting point whilst I wait for further investigation. If you can give me tips, please do! If you are willing to email, that’s neat too (but I get a lot of spam, so give me heads up so I can make sure I actually get it.) Anyway, thanks.

(p.s. maybe you are perplexed too? Ever get stumped with how some have found success with paleo while others with vegetarianism, etc. I wonder if balance is possible? I worry about exclusionarly diet plans since I’ve read so many experts experiences with how they eventually mess up one’s metabolism, etc.).

thanks and again, interesting blog you have.

Tina July 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm

@Krista Lynn: I’ll email you! :)

Krista Lynn July 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm
    Krista Lynn July 9, 2013 at 11:39 pm

@Krista Lynn: Sorry, but also noticed this article from the website you write for! : http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20559874,00.html

Tina July 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm

@Krista Lynn: I tried emailing you, but the message bounced back.

Christian Fitness Diva July 10, 2013 at 12:07 am

Hmmm…I didn’t even know Cross Fit had competitions lol.

You can keep that..I’m impressed don’t get me wrong…but yeah I’m gonna put that in the “Things I’m Not Going to Do” category along with running a marathon and climbing Mt. Everest. LOL

Kimberley July 10, 2013 at 3:21 am

I must have my ipod. Music is my motivator.

Sara July 10, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thank you so much for this post!!!!

Alyssa July 10, 2013 at 10:11 am

Crazy! You’d think you were going on vacation for a week! :-)

Lisa July 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I think I was at that competition too…the Summer Slam at CF Dartmouth. I’m with PhaseII in Dennis, MA. That was my second comp and the first in the summer heat, so I definitely didn’t think of some things that you did. Thanks for this list…between what I missed having that day and what you packed, I should be well prepared for next time! P.S. CrossFit Hyannis is having a camp games competition in late September…look for the FB invite :)

Tina July 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Thanks! I will! :)

adriana July 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I just need my sport bra and my nike shoes :D

Annie Atherton July 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for your list!!! I did my first competition a few weeks ago and the things that I notice you didn’t bring, but I NEEDED were WIPES! I actually brought Olay Face wipes, Always Radiant Wipes To-Go (feminine wipes) and then some regular baby wipes. It was refreshing after each WOD to run into the bathroom, strip and wipe down! Then I had clean clothes to put on, right down to underwear and a sports bra :)

Don’t forget the clothes you want to put on afterwards. If it is a chilly day, a pair of sweat pants and a sweatshirt is nice to have too.

A camera to catch the action!

And for the ladies… plan your hair style! I know that sounds silly, but I had my sister french braid my hair and it held the whole time and I didn’t have to worry about it. My friend with “big” hair, struggled the whole time finding the best style and ended up stopping short on one WOD (about 5 seconds) because her hair was in her mouth while jumping rope

Peach July 11, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Great list! Only thing I’d add is for the ladies – an emergency supply of ladythings. You know… bc there’d be nothing worse than to have that start the day of competition and not be prepared. CF competitions aren’t known for their restroom facilities, either. I’ve seen some horrific ones! Perhaps TP/wipes would also be good to add. :D

Melissa August 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I just came upon this website today and LOVE this post! I just signed up for my affiliate’s competition, and I’ve only been doing crossfit for a little over two months! I’m nervous about the competition, but excited at the same time! This list will really help me out! Thanks!

Tina August 29, 2013 at 4:45 pm