• “Get Fit for the Pit” with Christmas Abbott

July 30, 2013

On Sunday morning at the CrossFit Games, I had the opportunity to change tires, workout, and chat with Christmas Abbott. No big deal.

Never heard of Christmas Abbott? Well, you’re missing out! She’s super cool. Christmas is an amazing Reebok CrossFit athlete (she’s qualified for the CrossFit Games twice now).

And she also changes tires for NASCAR pit crews. How cool is that?!?

Christmas Abbott

Our workout with Christmas started with her teaching us how to change a tire on a race car.

For real.

I can honestly say changing a race car tire is something I never thought I’d do in my life! It’s actually not as hard as it looks, but in NASCAR races you have to do it really fast. Christmas said she can change two tires in 14 seconds!

Once we learned how to remove the lug nuts from the tire, it was time for a little competition—and, of course, it was CrossFit-inspired!

Here’s the WOD we did:

10 Burpees
    5 Tire Flips
    1 Burpee
    Remove tire from car

It was awesome!

Once Christmas demonstrated the workout, we all had a chance to try it for ourselves.

The Burpees and Tire Flips were no problem for me.

ChristmasAbbott4

photo (4)

But getting the tire off the car was stressful!

ChristmasAbbott6

I sort of panicked and struggled with a few of the lug nuts, but, man, it was fun grabbing that tire off the car!

photo (3)

The group with Christmas!

Fitfluential bloggers with Christmas!

And here’s a short interview that Ericka, Anne, Gina, and I did with Christmas. We each asked her one question, including what she eats (I love what she says about fat), how she changed her unhealthy lifestyle, how she got into changing tires for NASCAR pit crews, and what’s happening with her new CrossFit box.

Questions of the Day

Have you ever changed a tire?

How knowledgeable/skilled are you when it comes to car repairs/maintenance or do you just go to your local mechanic and hand them your credit card like I do?

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 30, 2013 at 10:07 pm

What an awesome experience!! That seriously looks like such a fun WOD!

Kelsey Yoki July 30, 2013 at 10:30 pm

What an inspiring woman!

David July 30, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Wow, that looks super fun. I wish I could meet a famous crossfitter. Super jelly

Monique Bartley July 31, 2013 at 12:44 am

Crossfit women unite! Of course I know how to change a tire, all you have to do is call AAA! haha :)

Lisa @ Exercise eat repeat July 31, 2013 at 3:59 am

Wow it looks like you had an amazing time. I don’t think i could move a tyre let alone flip one. Cross fit hasn’t really hit the UK yet but am keeping my eyes open for it.

Kerry July 31, 2013 at 4:47 am

Thats a great interview! She seems so lovely & down to earth. Don’t we all love fats :/ haha!

Donald @ Tea Time July 31, 2013 at 5:37 am

She looks like that woman bodybuilder – she looks great!

Ashley July 31, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Can’t say I have ever had to change a tire on my own — THANKFULLY I’ve always had someone (Thanks, Dad!) to change them for me. Considering I manage to go all out when I mess up tires (think bending the chassy, yikes), I’m very lucky I’ve always had help!

Peach August 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Bah!! That is SO COOL.

Simone October 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Aah, I love Christmas! A friend of mine (Claire from the Girls Gone WOD podcast & The Ascent Blog) did that WOD with Christmas too! I’m infinitely jealous. 5’3″ Crossfit ladies, represent! :)

And per your question, yes, I can change a tire! I just started getting into amateur autocrossing (driving around a cone-indicated course, no tire-to-tire racing for me!) and love doing my own oil changes and routine maintenance when I have the time. Fun stuff!