• Easy Summer Recipe: Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli with Spinach

July 17, 2013

Have I mentioned it’s too hot to cook? Yep, I have and it is.

I’ve recently discovered just how amazing frozen veggies and the microwave are during a heat wave, and I’ve been whipping up all sorts of delicious meals using them.

Frozen veggies + microwave = no need to turn on your oven and sweat to death.

Another easy, no-cook ingredient is cheese wedges from The Laughing Cow. Just unwrap, mix, spread, or blend and eat! Super simple, no oven required.

One of my favorite foods to eat with cheese is broccoli. Growing up, my mom often melted a slice of cheese over the broccoli on my dinner plate, probably to encourage me to eat it, but also because she knew it was a delicious combo. I mean, who doesn’t love broccoli and cheese together? Am I right?

This super easy recipe takes broccoli and cheese one step further by adding superstar spinach, protein-rich chicken, and low-calorie creamy Swiss from The Laughing Cow. You basically get the best of both worlds in this meal: light and healthy mixed with creamy and satisfying. And, the best part, besides the minimal cooking, of course, is the recipe only calls for four ingredients (the rest you probably already have in your kitchen)!

Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli & Spinach

Ingredients:

• 8 ounces frozen broccoli
    • 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
    • 1 cup chunked chicken breast
    • 4 wedges of Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss
    • Garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper to taste

Directions:

Pour frozen broccoli and spinach into a microwave-safe dish and nuke for 5 minutes.

Remove broccoli and spinach from the microwave.

Immediately add the Laughing Cow wedges to the steaming veggies, so the cheese easily melts.

Mix well until the cheese is fully blended with the veggies.

Add chicken and serve immediately!

Easy Summer Recipe Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli

What’s your favorite food to eat with cheese?

I am an official brand advocate for Bel Brands in 2013. While I receive compensation for participation as a brand advocate, opinions are my own.

Jessica@runningthemiles.com July 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Yum!! I know what I want for dinner now! Thanks for the great idea! I love my Laughing Cow cheese with raw baby carrots. I never thought to use it this way. I’m stuck in cooking rut right now, so I appreciate the quick, simple, and healthy recipe!
    Jessica

Nicole Brown July 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I love roasted brussel sprouts with old cheddar cheese melted on top! The cheese balances out the bitterness of the sprouts. Yum!

Katherine July 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm

i love cheese on salads!!!

also – in milwaukee (my native town), we have these things called cheese curds – they are squeeky balls of cheese and like nothing else – so delicious!!!! you can also get them battered and deep fried at a lot of fast food places. wisconsin is heaven for cheeseheads !

Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle July 17, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Love it! So quick and easy.

Annette@FitnessPerks July 17, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I love laughing cow wedges for that reason–such a nice addition to easy meals. And yes, broccoli with cheese is deeeelish!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Laughing Cow cheese is the best! I just bought the strawberry flavor and spread on sliced apple wedges. Pretty tasty!

BTW, love this recipe!

Lisa July 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm

This is so simple, yet looks so delicious.
    Unfortunately, cheese is a no go for me due to allergies, but I bet this would be awesome with cashew butter mixed with nutritional yeast (usually works as a decent cheese replacement!) or daiya.

Kelly @ Runs for Food July 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm

What a great quick and easy idea! I love using frozen veggies, especially the steam-in-the-bag kind!

Karla July 17, 2013 at 2:45 pm

That looks sooooo easy to make. I bet you can make it with other Laughing Cow flavors. Thanks for the idea!

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny July 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm

broccoli and cheese are definitely the best. I’m with you – it’s too hot to cook. I’ve been loving fresh salads and sandwiches lately, but I’ll have to try this!

Shel@PeachyPalate July 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I’m vegan so don’t eat cheese but make a good “cheese” sauce with nutritional yeast for over cauliflower. Nothing beats roasted cauliflower though! :)

Corrie Anne July 17, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Favorite food to eat with cheese — french fries. Or nachos. Lol.

Nicole @ FruitnFitness July 17, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I love cheese! My new favorite cheese is the grilling cheese from trader joes. It’s so good warmed goes perfectly with garlic toast and Greek salads.

Jennie July 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Ha, I thought I was the only person who kept half-used bags of frozen vegetables closed with rubber bands!

Xai July 17, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I keep things simple with cheese and crackers and the good ol’ fashioned grilled cheese!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm

There you go again making awesome meals with Laughing Cow!! Gotta love it :).

Bitch on a Diet July 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm

anything with cheese belongs in my belly. I had no idea you could melt laughing cow like that though, i’ve always just eaten it cold.

Ashlee July 17, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I like making Annie’s mac n cheese bunnies and adding broccoli and cauliflower to it. That’s a good combo, and it’s great as leftovers! And you really can’t go wrong with a good ol’ grilled cheese with tomatoes added inside!

Ashley July 17, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Yesss I love when recipes are so easy even I could handle it.

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom July 17, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I like to eat crackers with cheese. It’s become a recent obsession!

Linda @ running4two July 17, 2013 at 4:21 pm

This sounds very similar to the cheesy brussesls sprouts meal…but even easier! We have AC but after our last electric bill, we may have to turn it up some and therefore will not want to use the oven. :(

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 17, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Who eats other foods WITH cheese? All I need is the cheese. :D

Tina July 17, 2013 at 4:37 pm

True! :)

Sarah Smith July 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

That sounds amazing! My parents are in town (weymouth) visiting- I’ll have to make it for them!

-Sarah

Lindsey July 17, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Apples or grilled cheese, so bread ;)

Melissa July 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Oh my goodness, when it comes to cheese, where do I even begin?! Well, I love cheese first and foremost with fruit, because of the mix of sweet and salty. I also like it in things like lasagna and enchiladas!

Mia July 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm

We must share similar taste profiles. What’s not to love about this combo?!?! Also tastes mighty delish with shaved Brussels and bacon.
    Laughing cow is so versatile, I have been using it in all sorts of great dishes lately: same method with spaghetti squash and shrimp or chicken, or at breakfast in scrambled eggs/spinach/tomatoes. MMM! :D

Sarah @ Licorice & Olives July 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Wow, what a great recipe. So simple, healthy and quick!

Ella July 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I randomly have all of these ingredients on hand, which is unusual – I never have laughing cow. If I omitted the chicken, it would still be good right? I mean, not too cheesey? (A ridiculous idea, I know. “Too cheesey” ha!)

Tina July 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I think it would still be really good without the chicken! :)

Willa July 17, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Hey, that’s one serving right? And what do you mean by “chunked chicken breast”? You mean just a baked chicken breast that’s been chopped up ?

I eat a LOT of broccoli and veggies and am beginning to think I need to cut back…holy fiber…but I have this “thing” about veggies. If the plate is full of them I have to eat them; plus I feel I “have” to have a lot for some insane reason. Overload perhaps.

Do you buy much hummus? That’s something I’m meaning to try but not sure if beans are really my friend.

Tina July 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Yep, just chopped up chicken breast. Chicken thighs would work too!

Jill July 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Cheese and crackers! (good on rice cakes or those rice crackers you used to have on your blog sometimes with guac)…never had “laughing cow” before though so not sure what that’s like.
    Also good paired with grapes and apples.

Theresa July 17, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Cheese is my favorite food group! It makes everything better! I love laughing cow and broccoli already, but I need to try them together! Thanks for the tip :)

Shellina July 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Sooooo easy! I’m in love.

padma July 17, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Our box did the WOD “Murph” and I kept thinking of your little pug Murphy. He would have made a great cheerleader today. That’s one hell of a WOD.

Tina July 17, 2013 at 9:06 pm

That’s one of my favorite workouts!

She Rocks Fitness July 17, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I think it’s hotter in Boston then down here in Houston…what are the chances of that? HA! I totally bought frozen brussel sprouts at the store and have some leftover asparagus and going to make a similar delicious bowl tomorrow night with some ground beef or hot sausage. :)

W July 17, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Major heat wave here as well. I did see some pugs outside running around, I have no idea how because it seems like breathing for the pugs is more difficult than other pups/dogs. This heat is unbelievable. I can barely walk in it honestly. All I do is eat , which is not a good thing at all.

Soft cheese I’ve not experimented with. Will have to try. Typically go for hard cheese or crumbled myself.

I found this recipe with chickpea flour for pancakes….interesting: http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/04/15/grain-free-egg-free-protein-pancakes/

Tiffany July 17, 2013 at 11:59 pm

You can steam fresh veggies in the microwave! Put them in a ziplock bag with about 1″ of water. Close the ziplock, put it in a bowl to stay upright. Zap for 2 minutes and that’s it!

idressau July 18, 2013 at 3:33 am

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 18, 2013 at 4:42 am

I like to eat cheese with cheese ;) Hehe cheese goes well with anything.

I love how simple this recipe is it looks delicious. We don’t have the swiss cheese version of that cheese here in Australia yet but I am crossing fingers it comes out soon.

sarah July 18, 2013 at 7:22 am

I love this idea! So simple yet sounds delicious. I use to love the typical broccoli and cheese dishes

Alison Bowling July 18, 2013 at 10:30 am

Thank you for the interesting way to add cheese to broccoli… and so quick and easy to do. Think I’ll give this one a try, but maybe add a few cherry tomatoes for variation.

Marissa@ohhhsolovely July 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

those coconut lattes look wonderful! i’ll be back to cooking lots of stuff on sundays once school starts up again soon! no more being lazy about it!

Jessica Lee Hart July 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm

so easy and looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

Jody - Fit at 55 July 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

That looks delish & easy is my game! :)

AJ July 29, 2013 at 8:53 pm

This sounds super yummy and very easy to make on those crazy hot days!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

Skyler August 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I am making this tonight with chicken or turkey sausage (a halfway throwback to the other recipe of yours, which I love- minus the zucchini and squash ribbons)! I think I may use two wedges of the Garlic and Herb Laughing Cow, since I also have it on hand. Thanks for the amazingly easy dinner idea!