• Failed Attempt at the Filthy Fifty

March 13, 2013

Whomp whomp.

Filthy Fifty

I was pumped for the Filthy Fifty last night, but, unfortunately, things just didn’t go as planned with my performance. I was obviously happy to just be able to CrossFit (a chronic illness definitely changed my perspective), but I still wasn’t thrilled with my time, especially since it was 3.5 minutes slower than my previous attempt. Whomp whomp indeed.

I love the Filthy Fifty because it’s all things CrossFit—10 different exercises that just scream “CrossFit” to me. This type of workout is why I love the sport so much.

Filthy_Fifty_

I love long, endurance workouts with tons of variety, so I was totally jazzed and feeling good when I grabbed all of the different equipment needed for the WOD.

IMG_2811

Things started out great. I flew through the box jumps, jumping pull-ups, and kettlebell swings with no issues at all. Mal was right next to me, so I tried to keep up with him. We were neck-in-neck up until the Back Extensions, and then I had a total brain fart: I skipped the Wallballs and went right for the Burpees. I have no idea what happened, but I made it to 39 Burpees before my friend Colleen pointed out that I had skipped the Wallballs. Crap.

I went pretty hard on the Burpees because I thought I was almost done, so when I finished them and went to do the Wallballs, I wanted to curl up on the floor in the fetal position and just die. I honestly felt terrible—nauseous even—when I was doing them, so I kept missing the target, which slowed me down a ton. At this point, I really should have scaled down to the 10-pound medicine ball (I used a 14-pounder that basically crushed me on each rep), but I was too stubborn to switch. Looking back, it was pretty dumb to stay with that weight, especially since I was struggling so much, but, hey, live and learn, right?

I finished in 27:07. *Sigh* Not a great performance for me. Again, whomp whomp.

IMG_2810

When I got home last night, I thought about what happened with the Filthy Fifty. Obviously, going hard on the Burpees and not scaling on the Wallballs slowed me down, but instead of focusing on everything that I did wrong during the WOD, I thought about what went right and the good things that came from the workout:

• I only stopped once to rest during the box jumps
    • I did the jumping pull-ups, KB swings, and walking lunges unbroken
    • I didn’t quit and finished the workout
    • I hung out and laughed with my CrossFit friends
    • I worked out with Mal
    • I got a great, full body workout

I have to admit, actually typing out those bullet points made me feel even better about the situation. I know it’s just one workout and, obviously, not the end of the world, but I think it’s important to take a step back and focus on the positive when you don’t meet the expectations you set for yourself. Accept and adjust.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was a Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Tortilla with sunflower butter and banana slices, which I put in the toaster oven for a few minutes, so it would get all soft and gooey inside. Yum!

012 (600x450)

When I first bought these brown rice tortillas, I hated them. They were dry, crumbly, and totally broke apart when I tried to roll them into enchiladas for dinner one night. They were actually the catalyst for my new gluten-free product reviews on CNC—they were so terrible, I felt the need to warn other people about them! Haha!

When I asked you guys for your recommendations for your favorite gluten-free products yesterday, Maureen specifically mentioned these tortillas in the comment section of CNC. Obviously, I was a bit surprised considering my experience with them, so I emailed her to see if maybe I got a bad batch or something because she really liked them. Well, it turns out, if you nuke them in the microwave for 15 seconds, they become soft, bendy, and much easier to use. Genius. (Obviously, I’m still getting used to this gluten-free stuff.)

The Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Tortillas taste delicious, but the texture definitely takes some getting used to. They’re a lot chewier and not as soft as a regular tortilla, but I liked the texture. It’s firmer and stiffer and, as Maureen suggested, makes a great base for a pizza. I didn’t think I’d ever buy these brown rice tortillas again, but I’m going to give them another chance, especially since they have the potential to become pizza. I’ll be sure to report back about that!

007

Lunch

Today’s lunch was an egg white scramble with chicken sausage, onions, red bell pepper, and Light Garlic & Herb Laughing Cow Cheese mixed in. Mmm! It tasted so good!

003

Health News & Views

CrossFit is all the rage right now and, with its Open competition (aka CrossFit Games) starting just last week, there’s even more of a reason to give it a try for yourself. To further entice you and give you a taste of what CrossFit is all about, here’s a WOD (“Workout of the Day”) that will work your entire body in just 4 moves.

A Quick and Sweaty CrossFit-Inspired Workout

Questions of the Day

How do you deal with failure when it comes to your workouts/fitness performance?

Have you ever had a “brain fart” during a workout/race/competition? What happened?

Art @ Fit at Fifty March 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I would say you done great on the Filthy Fifty!
    I have never tried it, but it sounds like a killer.
    Art

katey March 13, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I love those! Try frying them up in coconut oil and then dipping in the TJ’s spinich and kale greek yogurt dip. YUMMY!

Tina March 13, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Mmm! That sounds so good!

Karinna March 13, 2013 at 9:27 pm

One day I will work up the nerve to try Cross Fit!! Love reading your posts about it I feel like it educates me it on something I don’t know so that one day I’ll be ready for it. It just sounds so self motivating!! Keep it up!!

M. Love March 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm

FF SUCKS!! It’s always been hard for me — probably because I’ve been going for 7 months and I’ve gotten stronger so had to move up on KB and WB weights haha you’re a beast! You’ll knock it out next time!! Plus look at all the positives :)

Sarah Elizabeth March 13, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I had a similar experience with those tortillas. Tried ‘em, hated ‘em, decided never to try them again. Good to know they’re not THAT bad! Maybe I’ll try them again some day.

Kaitlyn K. March 14, 2013 at 5:31 am

I love your perspective on this. We’ve all been there and had disappointments with the gym/Crossfit/whatever it may be, but you reflected and had a much more positive perspective after writing down the “pluses.” In fact, the next time I have a crappy workout, I might sit down and write out the positives to help me focus on the good, too! Thanks.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 14, 2013 at 7:46 am

I’m impressed you made it past the pull ups – that workout sounds tough!

When I have crappy workouts I just try to remind myself that any workout is better than no workout.

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 14, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Ahh, I’m glad you like them better now! I agree, the texture is different. I really only use them as a pizza base. Let me know if you try that! Also, congrats on getting through that workout. I have a tendency to be hard on myself, and focus on negative aspects if I think I “failed” at something. This post was just what I needed to read this morning, because I was feeling down on myself for “failing” at one of my current healthy challenges. “Accept & Adjust’- you’re the best, Tina!

Amelia March 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm

You’re so fit so it’s refreshing to hear that even the mighty have off days. Today I was scheduled to go to yoga at lunch but I’m doggone tired. Usually I don’t use that as an excuse but I decided to skip it anyways. I’m scheduled to go to yoga on Sunday. I ran this morning. I ran longer yesterday morning (and really upped my time). So, I’m fine…some days are just off. Today is one of those days. I’ll be back in good form soon enough!

AJ March 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I love the brown rice tortillas from TJ’s. They actually taste even better if you sprinkle a tiny bit of water on them before microwaving them for 30 seconds.

Colleen@Wide Eyes Quick Feet March 14, 2013 at 12:58 pm

You lunch looks very yummy!

I think my biggest brain farts used to happened when I took dance in high school. They could go on for a while and uh…be pretty embarrassing, especially if it meant missing my entrance during a performance :P (luckily that only happened once!)

Carissa March 14, 2013 at 4:31 pm

We LOVE the brown rice tortillas from TJ’s! I love the chewiness, so I never had to overcome that. We use them for pizzas almost every week – short baking time & they get super crispy. I always bake mine on a pizza stone, so there’s also very minimal cleanup.

Christine March 14, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Have you tried the new Rud’s gf wraps? They dont break like most gf ones and they come in plain, spinach and I think tomato flavored, and have whole grains and fiber.

Alyssa March 14, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’m SUPER tough on myself when it comes to workout failures. I got a new PR, 6 reps at 75 lbs for the snatch in the last open workout and then could barely do 60 lbs in our workout on Tuesday :-( I totally beat myself up about it until I talked to some of my other CF girlfriends. They all mentioned how tough it is to sustain that kind of progress in weekly workouts, at the end of the work day, etc. They keep reminding me I’m only 3 months into CF and I need to be patient and understanding with my body!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy March 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Ahhhh I’m pretty bad at scaling down when I shoulda coulda woulda. I know that when it comes to WODs, it’s about conditioning and things shouldn’t be too too heavy, but I get so caught up in the sexiness of the “Rx’d” next to my name that I can sometimes end up a slowpoke. It’s a learning process, that’s for sure! You’re gonna KILL the filthy fifty next time you see it! :)

Abby March 29, 2013 at 9:13 am

I did the 15 minute crossfit-inspired workout that you linked this morning (after a warm up and 4-minute Tabata set to get my heart going). LOVED.

I was a sweaty mess and finished 6 rounds using a 20 lb kettle. I’m always curious where to start on weights with kettlebells… What did you start with/work your way up to?

Tina March 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

Nice! So glad you liked it! :) I used a 35-pound KB.