• Take A Family Photo

December 7, 2012

Happy holidays from our family to yours!

HappyHolidays_FamilyPic

Yesterday’s 24 Days of Togetherness was “take a family photo,” so we had a little fun with the self-timer on my camera last night.

Self-Timer Fun

But, no matter what we tried, we could not get Murphy to look at the camera.

Self-Timer Fun 1

He looks like a little Scrooge, doesn’t he?

Self-Timer Fun 2

(I have no idea why Mal and I are leaning like that! It’s like we’re on a boat or something. Haha!)

Our 24 Days of Togetherness has been a ton of fun so far. I hope you and your loved ones decided to join in! Just in case you missed our previous activities, here they are:

Breakfast

After Murphy and I said goodbye to Caitlin, I ate breakfast, which was reheated Lemon Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Bananas. I’ve made this recipe in the past and absolutely loved it, but I was not impressed with the batch I made the other day. I think the sweet potatoes I used were a little too big, so it took forever to cook and it didn’t really have that sweet lemony flavor I had hoped for. If you decide to make this recipe, go for medium sweet potatoes, not large.

026

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to CrossFit for a WOD called “Seven Minutes in Heaven” aka “Open WOD 12.1.” Do you remember this workout from last February?

AMRAP 7 Burpees = Do as many Burpees as you can in 7 minutes (and try not to die)

It’s a rough workout, but sort of “fun” at the same time, especially if you love Burpees like I do. Mal and I even made “I Love Burpees” shirts for this WOD. It’s definitely a workout I will never (ever) forget. Anyway, our box decided to repeat this WOD yesterday, so I was gunning to beat my old score (96).

027 (750x563)

028 (750x563)

After doing a warm-up and strength part (front squats + chins ups) of the workout, we found a partner to count our reps. When you’re doing a lot of Burpees and your brain is deprived of oxygen, there is no way you can accurately keep track. Our coach went over the standards for the workout (your chest must touch the ground and you need to touch a target 6 inches above your max reach when you jump) and then the fun started!

I ended up being next to one of the fastest ladies at our gym, so I tried to keep up with her. We were pretty even for the first 50 Burpees or so, but then she started to pull ahead by a rep or two. By the time I got to the 80s, I started to fall apart. I missed the bar a couple of times (no rep), which, of course, slowed me down. I managed to pull it together for the last 90 seconds and busted out a bunch of Burpees, so I ended up with 103—6 more reps than February! Woohoo! If you’re curious, the gal next to me did 119!! She’s an animal!

Snack

After CrossFit, I drank a protein shake made with fitmixer, milk, and water to replenish my tired muscles.

030

Lunch

A little while later, I made a lighter, more nutritious baked mac & cheese recipe for my Health post next week and ended up eating some of it for lunch. This recipe is definitely a winner. I can’t wait to share it with you guys next week!

mac&cheese

Do you/your family send holiday cards?

Mal and I really wanted to send cards this year, but we never got it together. Maybe next year! We can use our new family photo, right?

P.S. CrossFit folks: You still have time to enter my giveaway to win a WOD book. I’ll pick 4 winners this afternoon!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 7, 2012 at 7:49 am

Hahaha I love that murphy won’t look at the camera, clearly he had better things to do!

NYC Fit GIrl December 7, 2012 at 7:50 am

I never send Holiday cards but I wish I did! Every year I want to but never get the chance to. I have received quit a few from my couple friends this year too! I have a love / hate relationship with Burpees.

Nicole @ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com December 7, 2012 at 7:51 am

I cannot wait for the mac and cheese recipe!

Monica December 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

Aww that family pictures are cute! Dogs are so difficult to get in photos- mine is so distracted too!

Nelly December 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

That lean photo is hilarious! love it and your pug!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More December 7, 2012 at 7:58 am

Yum!

I need to order our cards, like now.

Lindsay's List December 7, 2012 at 7:58 am

i love mal’s shirt!

Kristen@Change of Pace December 7, 2012 at 8:01 am

Aww Murphy! The pictures are adorable though! :)

Blog is the New Black December 7, 2012 at 8:02 am

Love sending and receiving cards, esp ones with family pics! ;)

stefanie December 7, 2012 at 8:06 am

Love the lean! Question…how did you get the santa hat to stay on Murphy?

Tina December 7, 2012 at 8:19 am

We didn’t do anything special– just put it on his head! :)

mary @ minutes per mile December 7, 2012 at 8:06 am

Mac and cheese looks great! No, I don’t send holiday cards but love receiving them!

dana December 7, 2012 at 8:11 am

how funny, our 24dot for yesterday was take a family photo too! … but i asked for a mulligan because I was nasty and gross from just getting home from crossfit and was in no mood to take a sweaty family photo. instead we “danced to our wedding song”. really loving this 24dot! its way too fun! i am like a little kid every day after work waiting to see what the next card will say!

Tina December 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm

@dana: Aww, fun! :)

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness December 7, 2012 at 8:15 am

Nice work on the PR! I want to try to beat my old score but at the same the thought of doing that wod again scares me!

Tina December 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm

@Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness: I hear ya! I was so nervous before doing it because I knew how bad I was about to feel! Haha!

Shel@PeachyPalate December 7, 2012 at 8:15 am

The mac and cheese looks heavenly!!!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 7, 2012 at 8:19 am

I could cry over the Murphy pics… so awesome! Can’t wait for you to share that recipe because it looks so good! My family sends Christmas cards but sadly, we are always the last ones to get them out haha.

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles December 7, 2012 at 8:23 am

I would have seen that workout and walked right back out the door. I don’t mind a lot of things. Or will at least try. But LOATH burpees. I would rather do box jumps. Or just about anything else.

The Kidless Kronicles

Michelle December 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

Haha these are cute! We need to take family photos too.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance December 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

What cute family photos! I can’t wait for that to come up for us. The other night was write haikus about each other. It was hilarious! We’re loving the 24 Days–thanks!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction December 7, 2012 at 8:39 am

We always send holiday cards! Ever since we got my dog (3 years noe!) we include him too! This year we did a family photo that we took in Aruba, so obviously Santo (my dog) was not in it :(. Luckily Shutterfly has the option that allows you to add a separate photo on the back of the card. He looks a little lonely on the back all by himself, but at least he is still included!

C@TheGiacobbeDiaries December 7, 2012 at 8:46 am

We have sent out family Christmas cards for the last 4 years. Once we got our puppy. He was the star of the card! This year we have a new star -our baby girl! BUT I plan on doing a family picture starting this year with the pup included and making it an annual tradition! I love the leaning picture by the way!!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 7, 2012 at 8:48 am

Y’know it’s only December 7th, I don’t deem it too late to send cards, especially since I haven’t sent any out yet. ;)

Megan December 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

omg we just did 12.1 again this week to!! I beat my score by 5 but it was still as terrible and gas guzzling as last year! We are repeating all the opens and regional WODS in the next 2 weeks. Love it

Tina December 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm

@Megan: Fun! I want to do some of the other Open WODs again. I was so new to CF last year, I could barely do any of them. I didn’t even know what a Snatch was!

Connie @ Livin' Lean December 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Are those mushrooms I see in that mac and cheese?! That looks right down my alley. Yum!

Your family photos are adorable, and I was cracking up at the “boat” picture. Such a cute little fam!

Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 7, 2012 at 8:57 am

Omigoodness, those photos are seriously precious. I hope you will put the first one on a Christmas card, because that’s the one where you can see the most of Mal’s awesome shirt.

My fiance and I sent out a few Christmas cards this year, but our Save the Date invites are our real Christmas cards. Next year, I want to use a picture from our wedding on our Christmas cards. Hopefully the year after that we will have a dog or two to add to the photo.

TorontoRunner December 7, 2012 at 8:57 am

The family pictures are adorable. Love the “lean” :D

Emily @ Emily Eats and Runs December 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

Can’t wait for that macaroni and cheese recipe!

I’m still thinking about whether or not to send out Christmas cards.. I guess I better decide soon!

Sara @ fitcupcaker December 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

We took a family picture too, but only one dog was it in because my other one would just not sit still!!! O well.

Dee December 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

My fave of the photos is the second one, where Murphy looks like he’s about to smooch Mal! It’s not a perfect photo, but it’s adorable and I prefer “real” moments over the posed anyhow. By the way, that workout was evil…. but awesome at the same time.

Tina December 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

@Dee: I love that one too! :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 7, 2012 at 9:11 am

Woo, 103 burpees! Holy crap! Always feels great to see progress like that, getting stronger! And that family photo is too adorable, Murphy must’ve just been camera shy.

Danica @ It's Progression December 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

That mac & cheese looks delicious!
    My husband and I sent out a Happy Holidays photo card this year, but just to really close friends and family.

Corrie Anne December 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

Trying so hard to send cards this year. We’ll see if it happens!! Cute santa hat pics!

Alison December 7, 2012 at 9:46 am

I had this same problem this year when we tried to take our photo with our beagle. The trick: hold one of Murphy’s toys in your hand and throw in the direction of the camera right before the flash (if your camera has an indicator light telling you when the picture is going to be taken). My dog still looked a little crazy-eyed, but at least he was looking at the camera!

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

you’re a beast! 103!?! I feel like I need to do this just to see…maybe challenge my boyfriend

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete December 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

My family & I send out holiday cards but don’t do a picture. We each sign our own name rather than one family signature or something. I kind of always liked that tradition when I was growing up and it’s something i’m going to continue when I start my own family :)

Herbivore Triathlete December 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

OMG. Burpees for 7 minutes?? I’d die. I love Mal’s shirt, my oldest daughter has the same one, lol. Murphy does look like Scrooge, I love pug faces. My Esther has so much personality, it’s great.

I’m also loving your 24 days of togetherness posts and the concept in general, very cool.

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit December 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

Cute pic! I have sent holiday cards in the past but not lately, maybe next year. Good call on sweet potatoes for breakfast, I always forget how tasty they are for breakfast!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic December 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

Cute photos! I love the third one :)

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

I love your family photos – TOO cute! And great job with the burpees, super impressive :)

We did send out Christmas/Hanukkah cards this year and I somehow got organized enough to actually include photos of ourselves on them. There have been years where I haven’t had the time to send them out though.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 7, 2012 at 10:38 am

Nice burpee PR! Mine is currently 96 :)

We did 6 minutes of burpees total in our WOD last night. I can feel the burpee burn this morning.

Ed December 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

Those look like fun photos…i think my family needs a set done as well!

Tina December 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

You should! It was fun! :)

Carol T. December 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

love the pictures. Murphy is just a little camera shy….

Raechel December 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

We tried taking our dog for family pictures this summer at it was a total fail! One thing you can do, if you don’t have someone extra trying to get Murphy’s attention is to throw a toy at/behind the camera right before it snaps the picture. I think we send Christmas cards every other year, not planning it that way but it’s the way it happens!

Sarah @PickyRunner December 7, 2012 at 10:50 am

Awww I LOVE your family photo! I can never get my family to do it and it’s always a big problem when holidays roll around and we need to send out the annual christmas card. Mac and cheese? YES!

Karey @ Nutty About Health December 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

LOL, I love Murphy’s santa hat! Very cute family pics. :) I have a tough time getting my dog to look at the camera too… it’s like she has some sort of internal radar & purposely looks away. LOL

No, I decided not to do holiday cards this year. I have in the past, but it seems a bit old fashioned to me now… plus, I just moved & live closer to family anyway, so I can just tell them my feelings in person. ;)

tiffany December 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

we send new years cards…it’ll buy you a little more time, at least! :)

Tina December 7, 2012 at 11:24 am

Maybe we’ll do that! Thanks for the idea!

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 11:58 am

Cute cards!

Joyce December 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Haha this picture pretty much captures my sentiment regarding the WOD.

Tina December 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Haha!

Molly @ Happy&Healthy December 7, 2012 at 12:18 pm

oh man, that mac and cheese looks so freaking good, I can’t wait for you to share! That WOD sounds tough, congrats on beating your last score, it is a great feeling!

Belle @ Rebelle Fitness December 7, 2012 at 12:22 pm

That is a lot of burpees!! Great job kicking butt for seven minutes – that must have felt like forever…And very, very cute pictures! I love Murphy’s little face in the last one. :)

Delaney December 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love the 24 days of togetherness, I used some of your ideas. We had our family photo last night our pugs actually know to pose. Its too funny. I love Murph he always makes me laugh : )

Tina December 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

@Delaney: How many pugs do you have? I bet that was a cute holiday photo! :)