• My Least Favorite Exercise

December 12, 2012

Good morning! Happy Hump Day!

004 (742x750)

He who is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.

Workout

It’s funny… the workouts I’m not psyched about doing at CrossFit always end up being my favorites, which is exactly what happened last night.

I’m not a fan of Squat Cleans. They actually might be my least favorite exercise because they’re really hard and my quads burn like a mofo when I do them. So when last night’s WOD called for unbroken Squat Cleans, I knew it’d be rough.

WOD

“Good Luck”

For time:

2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2

Unbroken Squat Cleans

then,
    300 meter shuttle sprint

Adv: (155, 115)
    Rx: (135, 95)
    L2: (115, 65)
    L1: (75, 55)
    Beg: (65, 45)

*Touch and go at floor only. Even a re-grip off the floor is a foul. Penalty is 3 Burpees per penalty. No dumping. Use same load for all sets. Rest as needed between sets.

As expected, the WOD was tough, but it was a good, challenging tough, which, of course, is one of the reasons why I love CrossFit so much. The workout pushed me out of my comfort zone and really made me work for it. I used 75 pounds for the Squat Cleans, managed not to die, and finished in 10:45.

Another great thing about this workout is that Mal and I got to wear our new CrossFit gear for it. (My friends at Reebok sent us some goodies.) I wore my new CrossFit hoodie (it’s fleece-y inside – love), which kept me warm during the shuttle sprints outside before the WOD, and Mal wore a pair of CrossFit Knit Shorts 2 and CrossFit Tri Blend Short Sleeve Top. Mal liked both items, but he really loved the top. It’s made from a cotton blend, so the fabric felt soft and comfy like a regular t-shirt, but acted like a performance top (breathability, sweat-wicking). He also liked the color and how light-weight it felt during the WOD. For the shorts, Mal thought they ran a little large, but maybe they just weren’t his style. He’s normally a medium and the waist fit fine, but the legs were long and wide—Mal said they’d be great for a guy with big thighs! Even still, he liked the way they looked (color, design) and enjoyed working out in them. Thanks, Reebok!

002 (750x563)

Dinner

After CrossFit, Mal and I came home, showered up, and then tagged teamed dinner, which was Make-Your-Own-Tacos. He cooked up the ground beef with a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies) mixed in while I prepped the toppings. Tacos are such a great weeknight meal—fast, delicious, nutritious!

makeyourowntacoingredients

Before and after dinner, I snacked on some peanuts. I’m pretty sure I’m going to turn into one at the rate I eat them and peanut butter.

peanuts

What’s your least favorite exercise?

P.S. I stumbled upon this old post about Murphy last night. It still cracks me up, so I just wanted to share it. My dog is ridiculous.

Ashlee December 12, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’ve been obsessed with chorizo tacos lately!!! Mmm. I think you just struck another craving for them ;-)

Lauren December 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I strongly dislike squat cleans but I have to say.. I am completely addicted to crossfit thanks to you!! I signed up last month and I’m never going back!

Tina December 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Yay!!! :)

Christina December 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Love the Murphy post, he cracks me up! So much personality for a little dog :D

Annette@FitnessPerks December 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love cleans. No idea why?! I don’t love mountain climbers or burpees. But I DO like them because of what they do & how I feel AFTER. ;)

Alyssa December 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Chair pose in yoga is my own version of hell. And I hate lunges! :)

Murphy is adorable, as always. Such a character!

Candice@allthingsyogi.com December 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm

lunges, but its a love-hate relationship :)

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit December 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Yikes! Any WOD called “Good Luck” has “least favorite exercise” written all over it! ;) Love the gear. My least favorite exercises aren’t actually the ones that kill (burpees, renegade rows, tuck jumps, etc.), I enjoy those ones no matter how much they kick my butt. In fact, that’s precisely what I like about them. The exercises I tend to not like are ones I find boring, such as extended cardio sessions (unless it’s in a fun group exercise setting) and very slow-paced yoga. Those sorts of things.

Tina December 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

@Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit: Haha! Totally agree about “good luck!”

Mallory @ ifgravityhappens December 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I hate doing lunges….but I love it the next day when I can barely sit down! :)

Katie December 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I hate hate hate mountain climbers. They’re hard, yes, but I mainly hate them because they annoy me for some reason. I’d rather do burpees, which is just sad.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com December 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I just can’t love running. I used to do it and got up to ten miles but never really loved it. In fact, sometimes hated it! So, I found other ways to keep fit. I do agree though – I think I felt most accomplishment when I ran because I disliked it!

Margaret December 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Squat cleans are up there, but I think overhead squats are the worst. they are just plain yicky.

Laura December 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Burpees!!!
    They are so appropriately named!!

Ali December 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm

just curious – with Reebok announcing it’s laying off workers, are they going to continue to pay for your crossfit after the end of this year?

Tina December 12, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’m not sure.

Molly@ happy&healthy December 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I hate overhead squats and rowing! But that workout looks really tough. Also, I really needed that quote right now, I have been skipping crossfit in lieu of easier workouts because I’m scared I won’t be able to do, ugh, terrible thinking.

Amanda Jewell December 12, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Equipment-wise, Prowler and Jacob’s Ladder ALWAYS get me. As far as moves go, I hate wall balls and pull-ups; the latter mainly because I can’t do them unassisted and they always hurt my pre-carpal tunnel wrists. :-/

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail December 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm

We will be your twinners in our Reebok gear! ;) ha! Dude, squat cleans–tough! Like freaking thrusters!!

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Least favorite exercise is burpees…which is exactly why I posed a challenge to myself this month to work on my burpees! Even posted the challenge on my blog. I’M DETERMINED.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance December 12, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Have you ever noticed yourself gaining weight from eating so many nuts? Random question and I’m sure you’re fine because your body is ridiculous, but just curious :)

Tina December 12, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Haha! No! :)

Luv What You Do December 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I had speed workouts and hill workouts. They are so tough and always kick my butt!

Nisha @ Karma Apple Crunch December 13, 2012 at 11:04 am

I totally agree with you on tacos: fast, delicious, and our go to midweek dinner! My least favorite workout to do is the Burpee although I do love the results that it brings :)

Erika December 13, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Ha, I absolutely hate burpees! I know they’re great to add to workouts, but I just hate doing them.

TiffanyS December 14, 2012 at 10:45 am

Mountain climbers (have you tried them with a paper plate under your feet!!!) and burpees have been my least favorite things for a while. This week one of our wod’s included Manmakers with dumbell cleans…um, what a butt kicker! New least favorite thing.

Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog December 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Mine are most definitely burpee wallballs. I’d rather die. I see those on the workout board and I instantly feel nauseous.