• Thanksgiving 2012

November 23, 2012

Hi, guys! Did you have a nice Turkey Day? Mine was quite wonderful, and it included lots of quality family time and plenty of delicious food!

005_thumb[1]

After the Dreamcatcher Classic Road Race, Mal and I drove to my grandmother’s house about an hour away for Thanksgiving dinner. My Grammie had quite the crew at her house this year—there were 23 of us!

008 (750x563)

Including all four cousins (and our significant others)!

015_thumb

The four of us pretty much grew up together, but now that we’re older and have our own (busy) lives, it’s tough to get together as often as we’d like. But, we made plans for a cousins get-together in January. I’m already looking forward to it!

Thanksgiving dinner was served buffet-style this year and we were instructed to “seat from the back” in the dining room once we got our plates.

018_thumb

019_thumb[1]

Yum!

021_thumb

For dessert, I baked some Andes Crème de Menthe Cookies, which were a huge hit. If you like mint + chocolate, I highly recommend this recipe!

023_thumb

There were a lot of delicious desserts at dinner (we’re definitely a dessert family), including my aunt Amy’s apple pie.

025_thumb

And my mom’s pumpkin pie.

028_thumb

It was a tough decision, but I eventually chose a piece of my mom’s pumpkin pie and a piece of my aunt Linda’s Pumpkin Dump Cake—both were delicious and a fabulous way to end the meal!

What was your favorite part of Thanksgiving?

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm

23 people?! Wow! Your grandmother is an amazing woman for hosting that. My family and I had a small Thanksgiving gathering this year, but despite that, it was so amazing to spend quality time with them, laugh/play games, and enjoy delicious food/drinks with them :)

Brooke @ BeingVivacious November 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm

That is the most beautiful Thanksgiving table.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Looks like amazing food! Your nan must be a good cook – looks really fresh! The apple pie looks just like my mums!

Heather November 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Another cross fit questions~ what shoes do you currently have for crossfit? Have you tried the Reebok Nano shoes by chance?

Thank you!Heather

Tina November 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have the Nano 2.0 and love them! :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace November 23, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Everything looks amazing. So glad you had a great Thanksgiving! :)

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Hooray for big families! We hosted this year, and the running line was we had “only 17 people coming” because we usually get 23-25! :)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.blogspot November 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Wow, what a table! Looks fantastic and even sweeter after getting your sweat on in the morning I bet. You’ve inspired me to follow your lead at Christmas!

Liz November 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

So glad that you had a nice Thanksgiving! I think my favorite part of Thanksgiving was also the dessert — we had a delicious pumpkin pie!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Looks like a great Thanksgiving! My favorite part was starting my day with a 5k Turkey Trot (and surprising myself with a new PR)!

corrie anne November 23, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I love a big family dinner. We weren’t able to travel home this year, but we had a wonderful celebration with just the two of us — and our two dogs!

Heather November 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Do you mind me asking what color of the Nano 2 you got? I am looking online and they all are so bright:)

Thank you!
    Heather

Tina November 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I have the black and pink ones and the blue and lime ones.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats November 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Dinner with the family and watching football while in food-coma is always the best. I love the way you guys set up the tables to eat!

Amelia November 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm

We got together with a couple other families, and while someone was reading a Thanksgiving letter my toddler Lucy started chanting “Eat! Eat! Eat! Eat!” and diving for the table of food. I think it’s what every adult was thinking too they were just more polite :)

Tina November 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Haha!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I love the way the tables are set up! It’s kind of Norman Rockwell-ish!

My favorite part was no blood shed and a filling meal that didn’t make the scale scream when I hopped on it this morning. :-)

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Sweet table set-up! Does your mom’s pumpkin pie have a layer of something on top of it? It looks like there’s a darker part on top (unless her pie is just darker than pumpkin pies I’m used to!).

jen November 23, 2012 at 6:12 pm

This is perfect timing! I just bought a bag of those andes chips and I had no idea what to do with them – they just looked yummy and I figured I’d never see them again if I didn’t buy them. Thank you!! Definitely making these soon!

Tina November 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Make them! You will not be disappointed! :)

Jen December 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

@Tina: Hey Tina! Well I finally made these today and you were right – they are ridiculous. I think they will replace standard chocolate chip cookies at my house! My kids hate nuts and love mint so they can’t say enough. Thanks for sharing!

Tina December 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm

So glad you guys liked them! :)

Sara @ fitcupcaker.com November 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I love all the food that you never get to eat during the year because it just doesnt get made- like the broccoli casserole and corn pudding! I love the table set up!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm

What a gorgeous Thanksgiving set-up!! Wow that’s a lot of people! The pumpkin dump cakes sounds amazing!!

Katie November 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

That’s a pretty clever set-up for such a large group! My favorite part of Thanksgiving is getting lots of family together and cooking with them. The heaps of yummy food is a good time, but I’m all about getting it ready. It’s fun bonding time!

Michelle November 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Good job on the road race! And your turkey day looked fun :) I tried to work out in the morning but the gym was closed along with every store in town lol BUT I did put on my jogtracker app and made sure I did 45 minute walk around the area at least!

Khushboo November 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Those cookies sound great- love mint & choc yet never thought to combine the 2 in cookie form!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

That looks like an amazing Thanksgiving!

I’m definitely bookmarking those cookies – chocolate and mint is my favourite flavour combination!

Jess @ JessieBear What Will You Wear November 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm

is there two layers in your moms pumpkin pie? I can’t tell if its just thick crust or two layers. Either way it looks DELICIOUS.

Tina November 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm

No, just one. I think it’s just a little burnt on top! :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Love your grandmother’s setup for seating!

Rachel@Running Daze November 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I love that at Thanksgiving family can just get together and you don’t worry about the gifts. You’re just thankful to be together!