• Yoga with Martha Stewart at Grand Central Station

October 17, 2012

Rise and shine, it’s time for yoga with Martha Stewart!

030 (480x640)

My day started bright and early at Theodora’s apartment. We were both invited to a yoga event with Martha Stewart this morning, so I spent the night on her couch (Theodora’s not Martha’s) last night.

008 (480x640)

At 6:30 AM, we hopped in a cab to Grand Central Station for the event.

009 (640x480)

011 (482x640)

013 (640x480)

014 (640x480)

Before the yoga class started, Martha came out and started snapping pictures of the event with her camera. She was standing literally 5 feet from Theodora and me, so we happen to notice her camera, which was the same one that we both own. Cool! Actually, Martha’s camera is the newer version of ours (Canon S100 versus S95), but it was still kind of neat to see. (Um, ok, we’re nerds.)

018 (562x640)

The hour-long yoga class was part of a larger two-day Martha Stewart event held today and tomorrow at Grand Central Station called “American Made,” which “honors and celebrates the crafters, makers and entrepreneurs whose work reflects their dedication to quality, inspiration, creativity and sense of possibility embodied by the Martha Stewart brand.” You can read more about the event and details here.

022 (480x640)

The yoga class was taught by James Murphy, instructor of the Iyengar Yoga Institute of New York.

026 (640x480)

He was an awesome instructor—personable, positive, and very clear with his instruction.

024 (640x480)

023 (640x480)

In case you’re wondering what Martha is like in person, she was friendly (not as cold as I expected) and seemed really sweet. At one point during the class, I made eye contact with her and she smiled at me! It actually kind of surprised me (I totally wasn’t expecting it), but I managed to smile back. Martha was also shorter and more petite than I expected. I guess she just seems a lot taller on TV—maybe because she’s typically wearing heels?

\021 (461x640)

039 (480x640)

The class incorporated lots of fundamental yoga poses with a focus on technique and form. The instructor used Martha as his model to demonstrate a number of poses.

029 (640x480)

031 (480x640)

033 (640x480)

Martha was a pro! You could tell she regularly practices yoga.

035 (480x640)

036 (640x480)

Overall, it was a great class and it left my tight legs (from yesterday’s run) feeling a million times better.

037 (640x480)

I thought I’d have trouble relaxing in Grand Central Station with all kinds of commotion going on around me, but I was able to tune it out and clear my mind for a bit. It was a nice way to start the day. Om.

038 (640x480)

Breakfast was provided after the yoga class.

040 (480x640)

It was a tiny breakfast with just a couple of pastries and some pears, so Theodora and I went in search of something more substantial.

042 (640x480)

041 (640x480)

Breakfast

Theodora suggested Penelope, which sounded delicious, so we walked there for breakfast.

043 (640x480)

044 (480x640)

049 (640x480)

045 (640x480)

I started with a decaf latte.

046 (480x640)

And, to eat, I ordered an omelet with spinach, mushrooms, Swiss cheese, and a side of pesto. Eggs + pesto = holy yum! On the side: homefries.

048 (640x480)

After breakfast, I said goodbye to Theodora and then walked to the Bolt Bus to head back to Boston. It was a quick trip, but totally worth it to do yoga with Martha Stewart! Seriously, what a cool opportunity!

If you could pick any celebrity and any workout to do with them, who and what would it be?

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm

OMG, I love Penelope–I was there just last week! Such a cute restaurant with a relaxing atmosphere. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy October 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm

What a great opportunity! PS – What type of crops are you wearing? Super cute! I’m sure you’ve told us about them before…

Tina October 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    Candice@allthingsyogi.com October 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm

surf with Cameron Diaz!

Gorg and fit.

Tina October 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

THAT would be fun!! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Bob Harper, no question! Do you mind me asking where your yoga/workout gear is from? Love the bottoms!

Tina October 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm
    Julia October 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

martha is 71!? Holy Cow! I would work out with Jessica Biel so she could teach me how she gets those guns!

Corrie Anne October 17, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Crossfit with Bob!! :)

Mumimoma October 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Great post! I really like he pics from your previous post too ;-)
    I would love to do Mike Fitch’s Animal Flow Workout with… Taylor Kitsch. I know it sounds naff, but a girl can dream :-D

Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom October 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I would love to work out with Brooke Burke!! I think she looks amazing (4 kids) and she actually works at it. Granted, she has pretty darn good genetics but she eats clean and hots the gym most days of the week. As a mom, she definitely inspires me.

Life's a Bowl October 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Awesome opportunity! I always thought she was tall and a bit bigger [not fat bigger, just broader] than you described… Guess it’s true, the camera makes ya bigger! If I could workout with anyone it would be Bob Harper- he seems SO NICE while still kicking your butt :P

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm

What a cool event! And I’m so jealous you went to Penelope’s…I’ve been wanting to go there! Yum. I’m not sure which celebrity I’d like to workout with, but I would die for a private session with Tara Stiles. She’s a yogi celebrity to me. LOVER HER.

Stephanie October 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm

i love penelope! we went the morning after the 2012 nyc marathon (my boyfriend ran), before we hopped on a plane back to ohio! glad you liked it!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I definitely first read that as you slept on Martha’s couch. Now that would be one hell of a story!

I don’t know which celebrity I’d want to do a workout with…maybe Joe Manganiello (True Blood), on the understanding that he would not be wearing a shirt at the time. :-p

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Looks like a fun event! I’d love to work out with Jennifer Aniston!

Kristen October 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Okay, I have to admit that when I read your question about a workout and a celebrity, my mind went to *that* place…and I was thinking of a workout between the sheets with a hot actor! Ha!

I would go downhill skiing with Picabo Street. :)

Tina October 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Haha! ;)

Steph October 18, 2012 at 7:26 am

@Kristen: Great minds think alike! haha.

Candice October 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm

how fun!! If I could workout with a celebrity I would totally go with kelly ripa! Love her!

Megan@funsizedfitness October 17, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’d love to do a workout with Chris Powell (from Extreme Makover: Weight Loss Edition). He seems like a really motivating trainer, and really down-to-earth!

Lauren October 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm

So cool! I love Martha!

Madi October 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Angelina Jolie back in the day or Jessica Biel! They are strong and sexy and I want to be a badass just like them!

Lydia October 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm

What an Awesome opportunity! Thank you so much for sharing!!

lynn @ the actor's diet October 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm

how awesome! i was just having a baking lesson with an american made finalist – lauren of keep it sweet!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Martha is a 71 yr old yogi?! Who knew?! I would love to work out with Kelly Ripa. She’s ripped and so bubbly it would be a blast. and then we would be bff’s :)

Danica October 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm

-this is such a tiny detail but I love your headband here!! what brand is it?
    -I would love to train with Jillian Michaels–I know she’d kick my butt!

Tina October 17, 2012 at 9:10 pm

It’s a Sweaty Band! :)

Liz October 17, 2012 at 8:34 pm

What a cool opportunity! I think there are lots of celebs I’d love to do a workout with, but I’ll go with running or yoga with Bob Harper :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

So cool! I love Martha! That is wonderful that she is doing yoga and wow she can move!!!

Melissa October 17, 2012 at 8:53 pm

That’s so awesome! How did you get that opportunity?

Tina October 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm

The PR company invited me! :)

Wendy October 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm

What PR company? More details please!

I love Martha Stewart, so jealous you had this opportunity! How fantastic!

Pam October 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Martha looks fabulous! What a great trip to NYC for yoga.
    I would love to workout with the Clean Eating Lady, Tosca Reno. She would totally kick my butt, she’s in amazing shape!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings October 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I’d love to do yoga with Jen Anniston, I’ve heard she’s great at it. That’s so cool that you got to see her and do yoga with her! So cool :)

Carli October 17, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I listened to you doing yoga on the way to work! I listen to the Martha channel on Sirius daily. Then on the way home I listened to the instructor doing an interview on yoga. He was great!

Okay, this is going to sound hokie, but I’d love to workout with Denise Austin. She was my first introduction to exercise. Even if I can out lift her now. :-)

Iris Lee October 17, 2012 at 9:36 pm

So cool!! What an amazing opportunity – both to practice with James Murphy and to meet Martha. :) I would love a chance to do yoga with Giada. She is such a great chef, is so sweet, and seems to do yoga too.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Wow what an awesome opportunity! I love Martha. I feel like such a dork, but I love her magazine!

Hmm I would want to go hiking with Ryan Gosling. And then get lost in the woods with him. ;)

Lauren @YoungNester October 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Incredible experience and great pictures! How long did it take you to pick out an outfit? I think it would’ve taken me forever – ha! You all look super cute!

Tina October 18, 2012 at 7:39 am

Haha! Not long actually, but I definitely wanted a nice workout outfit for it! :)

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 17, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This looks like such a fun event, love the location!

Lindsay October 18, 2012 at 12:20 am

This is awesome! I love a good yoga class, had one yesterday after Tues night’s heart pounding Zumba class, and it was a perfect mid-week stretch! I would want to work out with Jillian Michaels. I am in awe of her on the past season’s of Biggest Loser and would love to have my butt kicked by her, not just from the screen of my tv from her workout dvds!

Jean October 18, 2012 at 12:34 am

I love that Martha doesn’t wear her hair up even while exercising. Totally makes sense. I can’t believe the class was IN Grand Central!

Allison@commitcomplete October 18, 2012 at 8:36 am

Wow. I never pictured Martha Stewart to be graceful or flexible before. I’d probably run a lap around the park with Meb Keflezighi. If I could keep up (right), I might get some good running tips.

Mari @ Wine Required October 18, 2012 at 8:58 am

Adam Levine, Bikram Yoga. Yum.

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 18, 2012 at 9:10 am

How awesome would it be to crash on Martha’s couch though? haha
    Sounds like a really cool event!

the 3volution of j3nn October 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

That’s awesome! I went to a meat market that she shops at last week. She wasn’t there, though. hahaha :D

Darris October 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

Gosh I think if I had an opportunity to workout out with a celebrity I would do CrossFit with Julie Foucher.

Btw- Did anyone else notice Martha was doing yoga in a jacket?? What was up with that?

Jenny October 18, 2012 at 10:58 am

Kudos on resisting the nutella stuffed french toast at Penelope’s! Or maybe your loss? Haha. As Penelope’s neighbor, I can attest that there is usually at least a 1.5 hour wait there on weekend mornings. Nice place.

Kelli W October 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

Jason Statham! Weights and learning some cool fight moves. Dream come true!

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

If I could do a workout with any celebrity it would probably be Matthew McConaughey. He is so outdoorsy and seems like he does a bunch of different things from hiking to paddle boarding. Of course, to do something with any celebrity would be incredibly cool! I’ve never met one before.

Marjorie Miller October 18, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I would love to workout with Prince . . .

Leila December 5, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Do you mind me asking what workout tank you’re wearing here (the teal one)? I love that its spaghetti strap but since I tend to be a bit bustier I tend to stick with the thicker strap tanks (and because sport bra straps show, etc). I know you’ve mentioned before that you are busty yourself so help a sista out! Does this support your girls?

Tina December 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm

It’s from Reebok! :) I’m wearing a sports bra underneath it.