• Travel WOD: 10.7.12

October 9, 2012

Hi, friends! I’m home! Hooray!

Mal and I only exercised one day on our vacation, but it was a great workout (short and sweet) with especially beautiful scenery. Together, we created a 15-minute, CrossFit-inspired workout (AMRAP 15) that we did outside on the morning of the wedding. (I love that you can WOD anywhere!)

IMG_1732

The resort where we stayed for the weekend had a tennis court, so we used it as our “home base” for where we did the exercises—all of which used only our body weight and were done without equipment.

TennisCourts

The WOD was divided into two parts (3 exercises + 100-meter sprint), which we did twice to count as one round. So we picked 3 exercises to do in the tennis courts and then sprinted (out of the tennis courts) to the end of a nearby dock and back to the tennis courts. Then, we did 3 different exercises and sprinted to the end of the dock and back again.

TheDock

IMG_1735

IMG_1725

We used the date of the wedding as a guide for our reps (October 7, 2012 = 10.7.12).

WODActionShots

Here’s what our WOD looked like:

10-7-12

So starting with the Hand-Release Push-Ups and finishing with the second 100 meter sprint was one round. Mal and I tried to do as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) in 15 minutes. (We used the stopwatch on my iPhone to keep track of the time, and we used Mal’s phone to play music. We made it as CrossFit-like as possible!)

During the WOD, Mal was a few reps ahead of me the entire time, so I really pushed myself to keep up with him. Plus, I didn’t want him to totally smoke me (haha!), so my competitive spirit definitely motivated me to kick my own butt. We both finished 3 full rounds in 15 minutes. It was a fun WOD!

Just in case you’re not familiar with all of the exercises listed above, here are some videos which demonstrate a few of them:

Do you typically exercise on vacation? What’s your favorite way to break a sweat when you’re on vacation?

Lynne October 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Hi Tina! I saw this and thought you would find it hilarious :)

Tina October 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm

OMG! HAHA! Love it!

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life October 9, 2012 at 9:20 pm

If I’m staying at a hotel, I LOVE to exercise during vacation! Hotel gyms are usually so well equipped, so I can use the machines or create my own workout with the weights or bands provided.

Welcome back!

P.S. I love that your first post after returning is about exercise! :-)

Tina October 10, 2012 at 10:38 am

@Olivia @ Liv Lives Life: Haha! What can I say, I love exercise! :)

luv what you do October 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Running and biking for sure!
    I love exploring a new town on vacation. Although I’m not always able to get in as many workouts as I’d like becuase I would much rather hang with family than run bymyself. Maybe I could recruit everyone for a WOD next time : )

Alissa Jo October 9, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I love to bring running clothes and shoes along and do some running/sightseeing at the same time! I was in Washington, DC this past summer and stayed at a hotel downtown. I got up early every day to run around the city before my meetings started. It was so nice to run and see some really pretty sights and get some cardio in. I brought my iPhone and used the mapmyrun app which helped me keep track of where I was going. It was also nice to see my distance, too.

Alina @ Keep Smiling and Love Life October 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

So planning to do this tomorrow! How far exactly is 100 m? I’ll be doing this outside and I’m not so sure how far to run haha :)

Tina October 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

100 m = 100 meters! :)

Amy @ In The Mixing Bowl October 9, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I just got back from vacation in Ireland…no official workouts but lots and lots of walking around beautiful countryside and crazy Dublin! Works for me.

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset October 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I love how you used the wedding date as your guide for reps! Cute :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I very rarely do formal exercise on vacation – I just make sure I get a lot of walking in!

Chelsea@Ahintofhealthy October 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Welcome back Tina! I love to exercise on vacation if there is a gym in the hotel or a pool! Otherwise it can get kind of hard, but I always feel like I get a lot of walking in or other kinds of activities.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm

That is seriously impressive that you did 3 rounds in 15 min!! Haha it looks like it would have taken me 30!

Lindsey @ For Beginners October 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Every time I go on vacation, I pack workout clothes and running shoes! Unfortunately, it is pretty rare that they get lots of use. :)

Sandee October 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm

This summer we were staying at Cheyenne Mtn State Park in Colorado and we had some great runs on their trails. We also did some WODS we made up and it was great. And it was a beautiful view! We also did a great hike up Manitou Incline. Here’s a link to a post a wrote in the hike:

Amber October 9, 2012 at 11:52 pm

You guys are seriously inspiring! I have a hard enough time trying to talk myself into exercising at home, let alone on vacation. Definitely makes me want to push harder and do more. :)

Julia October 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm

love it!

michelle kim October 10, 2012 at 12:03 am

That’s so great! What an awesome workout with no gym and no workout equipment!
    I typically workout on vacation. I brought my Insanity DVD one time when we were on the ground floor (so we don’t disturb the room under us), but I usually just use the gym or go for a run outside to explore the area.

Annette@FitnessPerks October 10, 2012 at 12:05 am

I totally exercise if I feel like it-when on vacay. I love to sweat!

Simone October 10, 2012 at 12:17 am

I always try and squeeze exercising in on trips but to be honest its always a hassle/chore… when i’m on vacation I wish I could take a vacation from my usual routine but I know I wont enjoy my vacay treats as much if I don’t sweat a little… I normally hit the pavement for a little exploration run.

Corrie Anne October 10, 2012 at 12:37 am

Fun!!! I love to create new workouts or run while on vacation.

Sarah Lynn October 10, 2012 at 12:38 am

I love to run on vacation! It’s the best way to explore a new city! And I’ll usually grab a park bench or something for some dips or push ups. :)

Melissa @ Fit 'N' Well Mommy October 10, 2012 at 1:04 am

I love the vacation WOD! My husband and I always try to fit in at least a couple of WODs while we are on vacation, but sometimes, relaxing and doing nothing (except for some sightseeing) gets the best of us!

Khushboo October 10, 2012 at 1:18 am

Great WOD! I do workout on holidays but no where near a gym! I try to keep them short & fun !

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 10, 2012 at 3:27 am

You two are such a power couple. Love this workout!

mary @ minutespermile October 10, 2012 at 5:59 am

i always feel better about vacation when there’s a little workout mixed in!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 10, 2012 at 6:51 am

When packing for vacation, I always have the best intentions to exercise–I bring my sneakers and multiple changes of workout clothes, but I usually only end up working out once or twice. Especially during a vacation, I’m OK with taking a few rest days. After all, vacationing is both mental and physical, right? :)

Megan@funsizedfitness October 10, 2012 at 7:22 am

While on vacation, I usually just get in some pool swimming or walking outside…but I’ve noticed that I start to get really grouchy if I take a few days off from working out, so I’m going to put in more of an effort next time!

Jess October 10, 2012 at 7:26 am

Very creative! I love to workout when I’m away- but often it is hard.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 10, 2012 at 8:12 am

This looks like such a fun way to sweat while on vacation! When I’m on a trip I’ll try to hit up the hotel gym if I can. But if not, then I don’t worry about it. I usually get in plenty of walking anyways!

Allison@commitcomplete October 10, 2012 at 8:24 am

I always pack my running clothes when traveling. Running is the best way to explore a new city or, at the very least, a new hotel gym.

Love how you incorporated the date of the wedding into your WOD.

Becka @ simplybecka October 10, 2012 at 8:37 am

I do workout on my vacations, I use my vacation as a great way to get in extra workouts, different workouts, and walk / hike alot too. I like to take advantage of the hotel gym if they have one. Besides I have to burn those extra calories I usually eat on vacation too. hahahah Have a great day Tina. ^_^

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

Love this! CrossFit on vacation is right up my alley! Saving this for the next time I travel!

Jenica October 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

Sounds like a great way to incorporate exercise! I usually try to fit in a few runs if I’m on vacation, but I let myself take a break from strength training since I don’t like it.

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

I try to exercise on vacation but it doesn’t always happen! If it does happen once or twice I feel good about it!

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food October 10, 2012 at 10:00 am

I love to exercise on vacation! There isn’t the usual ‘cram a workout in somewhere’ stress and I can just take the day as it comes=)

Steph @pjsandyogapants October 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

That’s an awesome workout. I love that it doesn’t require any equipment! On my last vacation, I didn’t plan any specific workouts, but I did do a ton of walking and sightseeing. That counts! :)

Tina October 10, 2012 at 10:38 am

@Steph @pjsandyogapants: Totally counts! That’s my favorite way to exercise too! :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Running and body weight circuit workouts are my go to’s when on vacation!

Ed October 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Welcome back…that looked like an intense workout to get you back in the game!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings October 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

This is a great workout for on the go! I love to workout when I travel because I feel like my eats are not always as clean so making sure I get in some exercise makes me feel better :)

Mary @ myMOVEMENTS October 10, 2012 at 11:00 am

Running and geocaching are big must-have’s for me on any vacation!

Running in the early mornings is the best way to really get to know a place — before the tourists are out in force, you really see the locals in action.

Oh, and while waiting for buses, I like to do squats, dips, chin ups with my brother!

Meghan@themeghamix October 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I love this! People (even our CrossFit coaches) think my husband and I are weird because we kinda plan our vacations around working out. We bike ride or run somewhere new with good scenery, and we look for local boxes or gyms to visit. We’ve even gone to yoga together. I say, if it makes you happy, go for it! Love the date-based programming. You guys rock.

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit October 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’m getting ready to head to a place where there’s no gym but the scenery is gorgeous, thanks for sharing this great WOD. Can’t wait to try it. And your breakfast chock full of sugar sounds amazing…hey, it was vacay!

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 10, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Cool! You guys really are motivation to stick to a healthy lifestyle no matter what is going on with your schedule. Now that I’ve actually been to several CrossFit classes I know its possible to do a WOD anywhere, this one is pretty creative!

Aurielle @ Will2Wellness October 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm

My husband and I used to not workout on vacations, but on a few past vacays we’ve made an effort to get in AM workouts, and it makes the vacation so much better…it lifts your mood, you don’t have to worry about gaining too much weight. So from now on we will definitely be working out on vacation.

Natalie October 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I’m commenting on the Kipling Pull up post, I think I clicked the wrong link but that is amazing! I went to see what they were and watch the video. Amazed! I wouldn’t be able to do one. Did you just keep trying at it!?

Tina October 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Yep! Lots and lots of practice and watching videos on YouTube! :)

Johnna February 3, 2013 at 10:34 pm

pinned to Pinterest – travel WOD – will be in New Jersey for two + weeks and need to get my fix while away from box!