• Secrets to a Perfect Two-Ingredient Pancake

August 20, 2012

Greetings from beautiful Oregon! Mal and I are here visiting family for the week. I am so looking forward to some rest and relaxation!

038 (480x640)

Yesterday morning, we woke up bright and early to catch our flight out of Logan. All packed up and ready to not check luggage!

010 (640x457)

Mal and I said goodbye to Murphy on Saturday, which was so sad (for me). I’m a big baby and almost cried, but I managed to keep it together (so I didn’t look like a total tool). Even though I’ll miss the pug, I know he’s in good hands with our dog sitter. Plus, she has three dogs of her own, so Murphy always has a blast when he’s there. When he finally comes home, he sleeps for days because he’s exhausted from having so much fun.

001 (480x640)

(This is not a cute picture of either of us! Ha!)

Breakfast

Yesterday’s breakfast was my usual two-ingredient pancake (1 banana + 1 egg) topped with sunflower butter.

009 (640x480)

A bunch of you guys have told me that when you try to make this pancake, it falls apart or turns into a big pile of mush, so here are the secrets to a perfect two-ingredient pancake:

• Make sure  you use a small banana + a large egg. If the banana is too big or the egg is too small, the pancake won’t stay together. If you have an especially big banana, try using two eggs instead of one.
    • Use medium-low heat. I can’t stress this one enough because if you cook the pancake too fast on high heat, it will burn, stick to the pan, and fall apart, which, of course, is no good. Be sure to use medium-low heat to cook your pancake.
    • Cook the pancake very slowly. Once I pour my pancake batter into the fry pan, which I first coat with cooking spray, I occupy myself with something else for awhile, like emptying the dishwasher or reading blogs on my phone, so I don’t wait impatiently by it and flip it too soon. The pancake needs to cook very slowly, so it doesn’t fall apart.
    • Be patient. Before I flip the pancake, I wait for the middle to start bubbling (all over) and the edges easily pull away from the pan with a spatula. Once it’s good to go, I flip it and let it cook on the other side for just a couple of minutes. Once you get the first flip, you’re home free!

Lunch & Snacks

Like my trip to New York City last week, I packed a bag of goodies to take with me to eat during my travels to Oregon. Here’s what I brought this time:

A banana (obviously).

014 (640x480)

Cherries.

015 (640x480)

A chicken breast chopped into pieces and wrapped in tinfoil (to keep it cold) inside a plastic baggie.

017 (640x480)

Baby carrots.

019 (480x640)

And sweet potato wedges with sunflower butter.

020 (640x480)

I added the Sweet Potato Wedges to the sunflower butter when they were still warm from the oven, so they made the sunflower butter all melt-y and delicious. I ate them with a fork on the plane.

022 (640x480)

On our first flight to Denver, I watched 21 Jump Street, which was surprisingly hilarious. I laughed out loud more than once and almost started crying during the gaging scene in the bathroom! Haha! I know, my maturity level is that of a 13 year old boy. It’s ok.

024 (640x480)

Mal and I had an hour layover in Denver, so Mal grabbed lunch and a beer. I went with a Passion iced tea from Starbucks.

027 (480x640)

Hi, Mal! Happy vacation!

028 (480x640)

Our second flight to Redmond was a tiny puddle jumper plane with a bunch of turbulence. I was little freaked out, but more motion sick than anything.

002 (480x640)

We arrived safe and sound in Redmond and then drove out to Black Butte Ranch where we are spending the week.

003 (640x480)

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being super duper scared), how scared are you of flying?

P.S. The Whole9 Nutrition Seminar was awesome. I started my post about it on the plane yesterday, but I might not finish it until late this week or early next week since I’m on vacation, but it’s definitely coming! Lots of good stuff to tell ya!

Molly August 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

i loved the movie 21 Jump Street– I thought that it had to potential of being a complete flop.. but i was pleasantly surprised.

Benjamin Eric September 28, 2013 at 6:50 am

@Molly: whoaaaaaaa this looks amazing, just going through your top 15 recipes for 2012 post. i’m drooling over almost every one of them!

Teresa @fitnwoodbine.blogspot.com August 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Looking forward to the nutrition post! Have a great vacation!!!

Katie August 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Those pancakes are intriguing. I’ll have to try them soon!

I’m probably scared about 2 / 10 — aka not too much. I’ve been flying a decent amount this past year so I’ve gotten pretty used to it. I think I’m in denial that anything would actually happen to me via plane, which I’m okay with.

Anon August 20, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Okay I just attempted the pancake and I’m a terrible cook, so here goes: I had one normal-sized banana and two tiny eggs. I tried as hard as I could to mash the banana but it was still kind of chunky – do you put it in the food processor? Then the batter was so liquidy it spread out over the ENTIRE frying pan til it was way too thin to flip. I let it cook and then sort of halved it like an omelet and waited for it to cook. It was actually delicious (yay) but damn it, I wanted a pancake! Haha. Help – how do you mash it? Do you use a tiny pan so it limits how far it can spread? How can I mess up a 2-ingredient pancake so badly?

Erika August 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Flying does not scare me at all. The take off is my favorite part! I am more scared of driving. There are crazy drivers out there!

Angie @ Losing It and Loving It August 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I always get totally emotional leaving our pets. I clearly have an issue lol

Oh and I’m a 1..I LOVE to fly.

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running August 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm

This pancake recipe sounds so good. Oh, and re: flying, I am not scared at all and never have been. Funny that, as I used to be scared of heights (like climbing ladders and being on the balcony of a tall building).

Teresa August 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I have to ride those tiny planes all the time, since I don’t live near a major airport. Sometimes, the turbulence makes me so sick to my stomach, I can’t wait to get off. It’s always a treat when I get to ride in a plane with a TV above the seats. Have fun in Oregon!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings August 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Ha I laughed so much in that movie!! My husband and I loved it. But we tend to love ridiculous movies that make us laugh :) Plus channing tatum wasn’t bad to look at ;)

Krysta August 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I’m a reader of yours from oregon and LOVE Black Butte! I’m so jealous you’re there, you have to get some ice cream at the Sno Cap in Sisters! It’s Delish!

Rebeka August 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I went to Blake Butte ranch a few years back! So fun! I hope you guys have a blast!

Liz August 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’m not really scared of flying at all. It can be a little annoying & sometimes landings are a bit rough, but I think it’s kinda fun :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 20, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I’m still amazed that you can make pancakes out of just an egg and a banana!

I’m pretty scared of flying – another blogger Meg had to hold my hand during part of the flight to Boston this weekend haha! :P

Shannon August 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Oh my….I used to stay at Black Butte Ranch when I was a teenager, my whole family. It is an awesome place. Hope you have a great time:)

Debbie August 20, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I haven’t flown in years. I never liked to fly and after 9/11 and all the madness now that goes on with crazy people getting drunk and unruly, reading about how they farm out all the labor etc I just can’t do it. I will fly if I absolutely have to i.e. something happens to my mom…otherwise I only travel to places where I can drive, take a train or a boat

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I’m so impatient when it comes to cooking pancakes!! I guess that’s why mine never turn out quite how I’d like. Thanks for the tips on using a distraction to waste cooking time – I’ll have to give it a shot next time I try this recipe!

Laura WL August 20, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Love Black Butte. One of my top 10 favorite places in the world. Really amazing hiking and just beautiful with the high desert. Hike the South Sister if you’re feeling adventurous. :-)

Steph August 21, 2012 at 1:11 am

I love flying, so I’d put myself at 1 – but very prone to motion sickness, and avoid smaller planes for that reason.

Melissa August 21, 2012 at 1:36 am

We had a tiny plane like that traveling on our honeymoon. I’m ok with big planes, but little island hoppers like that I do NOT like!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl August 21, 2012 at 3:19 am

8 to 9! Ugh I hate flying because it makes me nauseous – an unfortunate side effect because I live in Europe so take big 14+ hour flights each year to go back to California!

Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings August 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

I used to be about a 7-8 on the scared level, but I travel quite a bit now, so it’s probably down to a 4. But those little puddle jumpers are definitely a little nerve-wracking, you feel everything that’s going on!

Nadja August 21, 2012 at 11:21 am

oh thanks for these tips on how to cook a pancake! I tried several times to make mine with 1 (big) banan and 2 eggs but never suceed… so i’ll try again and hopefully i’ll suceed this time with your tips!

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut August 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I love your portable, healthy eats. Awesome! And thank you so much for the 2-ingredient pancake tips—I’ve been meaning to try it and now I feel fully equipped! :)

Sky August 21, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Watched 21 Jump Street last night and I though it was freakin hilarious!! I died laughing multiple times throughout the movie.

I don’t mind flying, but I do prefer to close my eyes and lean my head back during take off!

Sarah @ Licorice & Olives August 22, 2012 at 7:53 am

I fly at least 4 times a month and if everything goes to plan they follow the usual flight plan, tell me what’s happening, run on time etc, then I am a 1-2. Add in turbulence I am a 2 definite. Add turbulence on take-off or landing I am a 4. Make me fly anything but Qantas, I’m an 8!! I was on a plane last week and was told “unfortunately our brakes aren’t working” – I was only a 2!

Seriously need to try these pancakes!! Just need to find where to get this fabulous butter in Australia!

Holly August 22, 2012 at 9:32 am

The pancake recipe “worked” for me! My batter was runny as well (1 medium banana, 1 egg, 1 egg white), but it tasted delicious! I liked the little ‘chunks’ of banana in the pancake. Thanks for sharing your secret tips!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans August 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I am a big fat 10 afraid of flying. I’ve only flown once but I hated every minute of that 3 hour flight.
    I need to make two-ingredient pancakes soon! They sound so simply but delicious.

luv what you do August 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I’m a HUGE fan of the new Lulu bag. It’s super cute (and perfect for your awesome snacks). I will definitely need to give that pancake a try. How slow are we talking??? Looking forward to the Whole 9 post!

Tina August 22, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Slooooowwww. Maybe 7-8 minutes for the first side?

Anon August 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

@Tina: okay I clearly am cooking these on TOO low heat – it took like 20 mins for the first side. No wonder I couldn’t flip it.

Daphne August 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I tried making the pancakes for the first time, and they turned out great! So lucky to have found your blog.

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts August 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

21 Jump Street was hilarious!

Thanks for the tips on the pancake. I attempted it the other day and it was NOT good. I didn’t have any whole eggs so I just used egg whites which may have had something to do with it.

chelsea August 24, 2012 at 7:58 am

on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most scared of flying…i’m an 11! It terrifies me and anytime there is turbulance or someone stands up i think i’m about to die :(

Ladonna September 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm

@chelsea:
    Me too!! Seriously I feel like I’m the only one on the whole plane who is scared to death!! And I have a 3.5 hour flight next week! :(

Heather @dragonflygirlruns August 30, 2012 at 10:47 am

I made the pancake this morning, but I used a frozen banana…. I think there was too much water…. was more mushy but still tasted great. I assume a fresh banana is the way to go.

adriana August 31, 2012 at 11:26 am

todayyy i finally tried the famous two ingriedients pancakes, i used 1 big bananna and 2 small eggs, when i put the whole thing in the pan it was huge so i ate only the half and tomorrow i hope to eat the other one, by the way they’re delicious!! i topped them with 1 tsp of almond butter and it was perfect, but defenitly they cook really slow haha thank youuu i love your blog :)

renee September 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Loved this recipe. I made it with a black plaintan (no bananas on hand) with two eggs. I added a little vanilla and cinnamon to the mix. Cooked them very slow in coconut oil. They were the bomb! Gonna put this into rotation. And they are most filling :)

Julia September 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I made the two-ingredient pancake! It was yummmy and I was pleasantly surprised with how big it ended up being! I spread some almond butter on it and voila….delish! Thanks for this!

Meredith McKnight September 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Any tips for flying with food/snacks? TSA always gives me grief!

Yvonne September 18, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but I didn’t think I could bring that food with me to airport and pass security. Good to know it’s possible.

Michelle September 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm

The flying question… I have to take a tranquilizer to even get on a plane and the small ones are worse. I am just glad there is a way to get me on the plane because I do love to travel minus the flying! I guess I am a 10+. I didn’t know you had a pug, I have a pug Boston Terrier mix, Milo and I love him to bits. I am already worrying about our Cruise in March since my Parents are coming and they usually watch my 2 dogs. I need to find someone special as Milo sleeps with us not in a crate. Wish me luck.

Cait October 3, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I hate take off. I am the person who clutches the stranger next to them during this time ha. Landing on the other hand I am glued to the window and so excited to see the landscape emerge. Weird right? Oh well, I am glad you made it safe and you packed such healthy snacks!

Holly January 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

Made these pancakes this AM – amazing!! Thanks for the recipe – nice to switch it up from scrambled eggs/ omelettes!

Sarah Cate January 21, 2013 at 8:52 am

I made the pancakes for breakfast and they were WONDERFUL!!! Def adding this to my regular breakfast menu!!! Thank you!!

Tina January 21, 2013 at 9:40 am

Yay! :)

Britsy Neale May 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Hi there,

I just wanted to thank you for the awesome recipe and instructions for the two ingredient paleo pancake!! I made it for me and my husband and we both LOVED it! It was unbelievably fast and finally, finally, finally a paleo pancake that actually has the consistency of a normal pancake! THANK YOU!

Happily eating 2 ingredient pancakes in CA :)

Tina May 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm

So glad you guys liked it! :)

Sam May 13, 2013 at 7:55 am

I just tried making the two-ingredient pancake and it was delicious! However mine did fall apart a bit, mostly due to my impatience haha. I Will have to try it again tomorrow and cook it on a lower heat I think. Thanks for the recipe :)

Calista May 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I’m going to have to try that pancake! I can’t wait to try it!

Kristi August 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

Thank you SO much for posting these tips! My first attempt at cooking two-ingredient pancakes ended in dismal failure this morning. They burned on one side, wouldn’t cook through, and fell apart upon flipping. I have to use egg whites due to an allergy to the yolk…maybe that had something to do with it…but I also obviously cooked them at too high a heat. Thank you SO much for all your tips and tricks!