• CNC Meal Plan: Week of August 26

August 27, 2012

Hello from the Seattle airport! Mal and I had a 3-hour layover before our redeye flight to Boston, so I used the time to put together our grocery shopping list and meal plan for the upcoming week. We hardly have any food at home, so this week’s shopping is a big one!

2012-03-11_0815

Here’s this week’s dinner plan:

• Sunday: Airport food
    • Monday: Spinach salads with roasted chicken, mushrooms, and mandarin oranges
    • Tuesday: Curry chicken salad (made with avocado) and kale chips
    • Wednesday: Grilled fish (whatever is on sale) with roasted Brussels sprouts and Sweet Potato Wedges
    • Thursday: Veggie stir fry with chicken/beef/pork/shrimp (whatever is on sale)
    • Friday: Roasted veggie hash with fried egg

• Fish
    • Brussels sprouts
    • Kale
    • Egg whites
    • Greek yogurt

Chelsie @ Balance, not scale August 27, 2012 at 12:57 am

Ooh!! Avocado chicken curry salad sounds AMAZING right about now … (I’m in the middle of an overnight shift and my tummy is growling!) I’d love to be able to get the recipe and try to replicate it at some point if you’d like to share. :)

Avery @ Texas Teen Keeps Lean August 27, 2012 at 7:55 am

yum!!

Jenica August 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

Sounds like a super healthy and organized week! Jealous of your ability to plan like that.

Lisa M August 27, 2012 at 9:30 am

YOU are awesome!
    Thanks so much Tina.
    Can’t wait to see the recipe for avocado chicken curry salad.

luv what you do August 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

It’s so good to know that I’m not the only one who starts grocery planning on the way home from vacation. I hate coming home to an empty fridge and usually we swing by the store before we even go home. Looked like a fun trip out West. Safe Travels HOme!

beth August 27, 2012 at 10:00 am

Would love to hear if the dietary changes are helping you! I suffer from UC too and follow your journey! In addition to tummy troubles, are you feeling better/more energy and satiated etc?

Tina August 27, 2012 at 10:16 am

Yes, definitely! :)

mary @ minutespermile August 27, 2012 at 10:02 am

What a list! Do you and Mal have a budget for groceries — and if so, do you usually manage to stick to it?

Tina August 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

Yep! Check my Food FAQs! :)

JennB@BeMe August 27, 2012 at 10:46 am

Oh no! Don’t forget the dried mushrooms for the salad!

Holly A. August 27, 2012 at 10:58 am

I love that you plan your weeks like this and every time I visit your blog and read about your success and your planning, I think “My gosh I should DO this!” I’d like to think that I eventually will…

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love roasted veggie hash! Excited to see how you make yours.

Megan @ Megan's Munchies August 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I think I might just take your shopping list with me to the store!!! Love it!

Have you had teecino yet? I tried it in the past and liked it :)

Tina August 27, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I haven’t! I can’t seem to find it anywhere, but I’m still on the hunt for it!

Heidi August 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’ve bought all mine online! I haven’t seen it in stores. If its not at trader joes or whole foods it’s probably not in stores. Seriously awesome iced! I LOVE it! @Tina:

Annette August 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm

@Tina: @Megan @ Megan’s Munchies: @Heidi: I’ve seen it at Whole Foods

Tina August 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I heard that rumor too! Need to check there next!

Heidi August 27, 2012 at 9:15 pm

@Annette: that’s awesome! Thanks for letting me know! :)

Penny August 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm

So are you planning on doing a REAL Whole 30 since you are home now? Seems some foods on your list aren’t Paleo foods.

Tina August 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm

No, I won’t be doing a “real” Whole30. I’m also following more of a SCD (and GAPS diet) than Paleo since its main purpose is to heal the gut/colon.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm

If only I could be so organized!

Dr. Mark August 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Looks like an awesome week of healthy eating. I’m curious about what you chose for airport food. How did you navigate that mine field?

Brandi August 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I have Crohn’s Disease and I have seriously been considering trying the Paleo approach. I’ve got to sit down and really plan things out to see if it would be worth it. It’s such a hard decision, but I think it would definitely be worth it for the long haul.

De @ Cooking for the Other Half August 27, 2012 at 4:07 pm

You had me at avocado & curry!

Meal planning is totally the way to go.

sti @ little windmill yoga August 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

You are so much of a jet setter nowadays!! Seattle says hi :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 27, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Great week! I love that you plan out your meals!

Jessica August 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I need to start planning my meals out for the week! I envy how organized you are :)

michelle kim August 27, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Whoa. Your meal plan for Tuesday sounds amazing!

Sarah (The Social Eater) August 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Looks like the kind of list I’m going to need to make pretty soon. We are low on “everything,” it seems- especially produce!

Lisa M August 28, 2012 at 9:04 am

Tina,
    Do you buy a whole already roasted chicken for your salads or do you buy it raw and roast it yourself?
    Somehow that venture scares me…
    I can whip a turkey dinner together any day but something about the small scale of a chicken throws me off.

Tina August 28, 2012 at 9:07 am

I roast it myself. It’s actually really easy. I’ll write a little tutorial in my next post! :)

Jen August 28, 2012 at 9:14 am

Are you following Paleo exactly? I thought you were but then noticed you had cottage cheese on your list. Strict paleo doesn’t allow dairy or legumes (beans, hummus). Are you keeping those in?

Tina August 28, 2012 at 9:17 am

My husband eats cottage cheese! :)

Jen August 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

@Tina: Ah thanks! Are you not eating dairy – yogurt – at all? How about hummus?

Tina August 28, 2012 at 9:37 am

Sadly, no dairy (except some hard cheeses) and no hummus for awhile.

Terry August 29, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hope you are feeling better – the information you are sharing is so helpful! I would be careful with the Teeccino as it is grain based and has chicory in it which is on the illegal list for the SCD and is also not good for people with IBS. It stinks that there isn’t a good coffee substitute out there!!

Tina August 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

Oh, no! I didn’t know that. Thank you!

Travis Ehrenstrom August 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I’ve just discovered your blog today and it has inspired me so much!

My girlfriend and I are constantly trying to eat healthier (we eat pretty healthy already, vegetarians who avoid dairy) but it’s been really difficult for us to plan out our meals.

What helped you and Mal to better plan and prepare your meals? Did you guys ever struggle with planing out the week?

Thanks!