• Pug 5K

June 4, 2011

My first 5k was so fun! I still can’t believe that my little pug legs made it the whole way! I’m so proud of myself!

Mom and Dad needed to pick up their numbers before the race, so we arrived bright and early at the First-Ever 5K Run/Walk to Benefit PRoNE. It was held at Castle Island in South Boston.

The race shirts were so cool! Mom was especially happy with them!

Before the race, I met some new pug friends.

And scoped out the competition.

Mom also made me take a few photos– you know, “for the blog.”

Snapping a photo with Mom only took a few seconds, but it wasn’t as easy with Dad.

He’s such a clown, but I love him.

Before I knew it, everyone was lining up at the start line for the race.

I was so nervous!

But, then the race started and everyone took off running, so I chased after them!

I started out sprinting, but Mom and Dad told me that I shouldn’t use up all of my energy at the beginning of the race. Mom said: “It’s marathon, not a sprint,” and I think Dad mentioned something about “negative splits.”

I had no idea what they were talking about, but, eventually, we found a good pace and cruised right along.

I tried to stay focused during the race, but there were just too many new smells along the route– I couldn’t help myself!

There’s seriously a ton of dog pee in Southie!

I also took a bunch of water breaks during the race.

IMG_0046 (375x500)IMG_0047 (375x500)

And, at one point, I laid down in the grass to rest for a little bit, but the rest of the time, I was running!

Around mile 2.5, I saw the finish line on the other side of Castle Island, so I dug deep and pushed myself to finish strong.

Dad could barely keep up!

The finish line was so exciting! Our friends, Elizabeth and Nick cheered us on!

photo2 (373x500)

Crossing the finish line was the best feeling! I didn’t know I had it in me!

Mom and Dad were so, so, so proud of me!

I got a big high five from Dad at the end!

I finished the race in 46:33, which was 1st place in the pug division and 135th (out of 149) overall! Wahoo!

I’m exhausted now, but I’ll never forget this day for as long as I live!

Leila June 6, 2011 at 9:22 am

Seriously the sweetest thing ever!! I am SO glad I’m not the only crazy dog lady that speaks for her dog hahaha! BTW, I made my first iced coffee & it was pretty much amazing! :)

Marissa June 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

Aww, yeah for Murphy! I would love to run a 5K with my dog, but I’m not sure my old boy could make it anymore! He’s got arthritis now, so even a 5K walk is a serious workout for him. Besides that, he’s got short little legs! Haha.

Skinny Fat Kid June 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

Go Murphy! Izzy could easily kill a 5k. Too bad I can’t run! Last time I attempted to try and train for one, I ended up in a walking boot! I’ll have to leave the running to Skinny Fat Kid!

Andrea Shestopalov June 6, 2011 at 9:39 am

Yay for Murphy! I also type for my dog. She even has her own blog. That way my friends don’t get too sick of me telling them stories about her. :)

Lori @ According to Gus June 6, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love this post!! Way to go, Murphy!!

Sarah June 6, 2011 at 11:43 am

Love Murphy’s POV! So cute, way to go little pug!!

Jen June 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

congratulations, murphy! this is too cute! :)

Ali @ Ali Runs June 6, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Seriously…..best race recap ever!!! Congrats to Murphy! ;)

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola June 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm

This was fantastic! Congrats Murphy!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm

This is the cutest post I have EVER read. Love it!! That Murphy is such a character!

Danielle June 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm

this is the sweetest post i’ve ever seen. pugs have so much personality!

Delaney June 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm

OMG!! Seriously the cutest post yet! Great job Murph dog : ))

Laura @ prettylittlewords June 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm

This is so stinkin’ cute!

Anne P June 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This is SO cute! Go Murphy!

Jenny June 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Love it Tina. I wish my old guy (9 year old Max) had the stamina still for this kind of activity. He looked just like Murphy does at that age, now he is a little grayer and a little lazier, but I love him just the same. I am proud of Murphy he is quite a trooper! This is my favorite race recap you have ever done, except for the marathon (I think I was as excited for you as you were!). :)

Amy June 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

SO cute! Murphy should start his own blog ;)

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) June 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Too Cute! I LOVE the Pug High Five at the end!

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds June 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

During my walk yesterday… I came across the cutest little pug and I thought of you :) I’m actually not much of a pug fan… but this one was seriously cute! It was a long haired pug… is there such a thing? Or do pugs only have long hair when they are pups? I have no idea… but it was a pug… with really long hair!

Bri June 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Cutest. Post. Ever. I laughed out loud so many times. WTF Murphy! I need to find a doodle race for my puppy now! :)

hallie June 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm

YAYY MURPHY!!!! YOU DID SOOO GREAT!!!

Melissa June 7, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Adorable! I’m a pug mom and I don’t think my little girl would have it in her. Our normal 1.5 mile route gets a little hard for her in the Chicago heat, even with a lot of breaks (and that’s walking with some running mixed in at the river). Sounds like such a great event and cause!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 8, 2011 at 10:48 am

Love this! Go Murphy!!!

J July 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Simply put … adorable … can’t wait to run a 5K with my Dante (labrador) … but for now I am told to go no further than a mile. Congrats to Murphy!

Amanda@RunningOnCoffee September 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Congrats to Murphy on his first race! I have always wondered who uses those dog strollers…It’s sad when people let their pets get that obese though!

Stacey@Pugmamastace August 28, 2012 at 2:30 am

Murphy is adorable!! What an awesome race, and he ran the whole way! My Ali is 8 and a half, so she’s not so into running anymore. We did the Petco WalkRunWag 5K9 a few months ago here in Phoenix. She walked about half of it, and I carried her and let her ride in a friend’s wagon for the other half. I am so glad I found your blog! Another Pug Lover and Runner! How cool :-)