• Meadhall

June 18, 2011

A couple of weeks ago, Mal asked me how I wanted to celebrate my birthday this year. After last year’s big birthday bash for my 30th, I wanted to do something much more low-key, so I suggested going to Meadhall for dinner and beer with a few friends.

I heard such great things about Meadhall, so I really wanted to check it out. It was pretty much the only thing I wanted to do to celebrate my birthday. The beer menu alone excited me!

The inside of the restaurant is bright, open, and modern. It’s actually a pretty big place with a huge bar downstairs and lots of seating.

Upstairs is much more comfortable with couches, coffee tables, and oversized chairs— the perfect place to enjoy a beer and some good conversation.

The menu at Meadhall is “focused,” which means it isn’t very extensive, but there’s a variety of options to choose from, including soups, salads, and small bites to cheese plates, burgers, and more heavy entrees.

The beer list, however, is quite extensive, but not in an overwhelming way. More like, “OMG, there are so many beers I want to try!”

The first beer that I selected was an Espresso Amber from Peak Organic. I generally enjoy coffee/espresso beers, so I thought I’d give this one a whirl.

A robust amber ale brewed with locally roasted, organic fair trade espresso with help from our friends down the street at Coffee by Design. This malty amber ale is brewed with substantial amounts of Munich Malt, providing a perfect backbone for the rich, roasty flavor imparted by the espresso. Peak Espresso Amber is the first Fair Trade Certified beer brewed in the United States. Read more here.

Mmm! I loved it! It was malty and rich with very strong flavors of espresso. The smell alone would make you think it was an Americano!

To eat, I chowed down on fresh bread with butter.

A hummus plate.

And an amazing cream sorbet with strawberries that basically tasted like cream cheese ice cream. Holy yum! Definitely order this if you visit Meadhall! If you’re a cheesecake fan, it’ll knock your socks off!

My second beer of the evening was a Pretty Thing’s St. Botolph’s Town, which I also really enjoyed. It’s a “rustic dark ale” with a big malty flavor and a little bit of smoky character.

The name “Saint Botolph’s Town” is actually a tribute to Boston. The original Boston in Lincolnshire, England is an abbreviation of “Botolph’s Town” or “Botolph’s Stone.” When the Pretty Things brewers were back in Yorkshire recently, they found a churchyard where St. Botolph spoke in the year 675. Saint Botolph is a 7th century saint from England whose feast day is June 17th, which was yesterday! What a coincidence!

During dinner, my friends Erin and Mike gave me an awesome present: The Bread Baker’s Apprentice cookbook. Remember when Mal and I made homemade pizza with them? This is the book where the pizza dough recipe came from. I’m so psyched about this cookbook. I want to make bagels first!

Last night was the perfect birthday celebration!

(My birthday isn’t actually until Sunday, but Mal and I be out-of-town at a wedding, so we decided to move my celebration until last night.)

Cait's Plate June 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Aw, looks like so much fun. Happy early birthday – enjoy your time away :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TINA!!! God bless you on your years to come, and that is a super cool book! ahhhhh I’d love to take a look at it. Bread mmmm…..

Sarah June 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

This looks so nice. Good friends and good food :) Happy early birthday!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

YAH! Happy Birthday on Sunday! Looks fun :)

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Happy Birthday, Sweet Tina! Looks like fun! I hope Sunday is lovely, too.

Ashley @ Will Run for Food June 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Your dessert looks delicious!! We tried a new (to us) restaurant a few weeks ago and they had carrot cake layered with cream cheese ice cream. It was a dream come true.

Pickynikki June 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Happy Early Birthday! You share the same birthday as my son! Have a great Birthday tomorrow, and I hope you enjoy the wedding! I am SO jealous of the beer menus you post! Where I live it is the basics…

Gillian June 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm

FYI – Peak Organic is owned by a guy who graduated from Union!

Megan (Braise The Roof) June 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Happy (early) birthday, Tina! Meadhall looks awesome- I’ll have to check it out next time I visit Boston!

Pure2Raw Twins June 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Happy early birthday Tina! Looks like a perfect low key birthday celebration night :)

Shana June 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Happy Birthday! Those beers looked delicious! I am kind of craving a dark coffee-like beer now!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 18, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Happy early Birthday Tina! Beer and friends is pretty much the perfect way to celebrate. :D

E June 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Happy Birthday, Tina!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] June 18, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I have that cookbook and everything I’ve made out of it has been amazing!!

Shelley June 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm

This looks so fun! Hope you had a great pre birthday celebration and enjoy the wedding!!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Happy Early Birthday! Meadhall looks fantastic!!

Serena June 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Happy early birthday, Tina! If there is any reason to go to Meadhall, it’s that cream sorbet, mmm :)

Sandra June 18, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Happy Early Birthday! I’m a first time commenter; your blog is one of the reasons I decided to start my own!

Catherine@happinessafterheartache June 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Happy almost-Birthday! What a great way to celebrate! The Espresso Amber beer sounds fabulous! Don’t know how you can go wrong with beer+coffee.

Hannah June 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Happy birthday!!! Cream cheese ice cream? Hellsyeah!

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 19, 2011 at 1:37 am

Happy Birthday (Sunday)! It looks like you had a great time, and the dessert looks amazing!

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life June 19, 2011 at 2:45 am

Happy Birthday, Tina! Looks like a fab way to celebrate!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 19, 2011 at 3:11 am

Happy Early Birthday! Looks like you had an awesome b-day dinner!

Bridget June 19, 2011 at 8:04 am

Fun!! Brian was actually there last night for my cousins bday! We went to mead hall a couple weeks ago and loved it!! But when we were there I wsa told they didn’t have a dessert menu! Wonder if that changed in those 2 weeks…weird, but yours looks so good!
    Happy Birthday!!!

Katherine: Unemployed June 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

and good for your friends for not making the waiters do an embarrassing song :)

Alaina June 19, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Aww, looks like such a great dinner! I can’t wait to try that place out. :-)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I have the Bread Baker’s Apprentice book. It’s awesome. I’ve made almost every recipe in it. I absolutely love baking bread. Most recently I made a sticky bun that I adapted from the brioche recipe and aside from homemade sourdough my favourite thing to make is pain a l’ancienne (which was just posted on Weekly Bite too).

The bagel recipe isn’t bad, but I do use another recipe for bagels that I think is much better.

I’m excited to see more yeast breads on your blog. I am a big advocate for homemade bread and I usually bake at least one loaf per week.