• 5 Blog Posts That Changed Me

June 15, 2011

Last week, LauraJane reflected on her “healthiness journey,” and realized what a significant role blogging and reading blogs has played in that journey. She then wrote post called Five Bloggers That Have Changed My Life. One of the blogs she mentioned in her post was my marathon recap. Similarly, a number of posts have inspired me and stuck with me over the years, so here are the blog posts that have changed me. Thanks for the inspiration, Laura Jane!

The New ELR (Don’t Leave Me, Please)

Back in the day, the majority of “healthy living blogs” were all the same: three posts a day, documenting daily eats and workouts. Jenna was one of the first bloggers to break the mold by announcing a major shift in her blog. Jenna stopped boring her readers with her “daily turkey sandwiches,” and started to share more of her recipes and random food musings. Her post showed me that a blog can change and, as long as the author is passionate and authentic about what she is writing, the blog will remain successful and the readers won’t leave. Since then, CNC has focused less on daily meals and more on sharing my life (and what makes me unique) with readers.

Rachel Wilkerson’s Fourth Rule

This post is all about doing what’s best for you and owning it. When you start owning your decisions, you don’t need to explain yourself or feel guilty about them. As Rachel writes, “Your explanation can always be that you’re just feeling and doing what you know is right for you in that moment. Plain and simple.” Rachel’s Forth Rule helped me learn how to live my life without feeling like I need to justify my actions or apologize for my decisions. Because of this post, I’m a more confident and positive person.

Disney Marathon Race Recap

Reading Caitlin‘s recap of her first marathon made me so happy for her, but, at the same time, I couldn’t help but feel a little bit jealous. Running a marathon was at the top of my life goal list, but I wasn’t sure if I could really run one myself. Instead of feeling envious of Caitlin, her success made me want to achieve my own goal even more. A few months later, I registered to run my first marathon and completed it. Booyah.

Boston Marathon Race Report: Get over it and go.

This race recap is easily the most inspiring running post I have ever read. Long story short, AngryRunner overcame an injury to PR at last year’s Boston Marathon. Instead of feeling sorry for herself and dwelling on an injury, she got her head in the game and ran a great race. The last line about her PR is my favorite part of the post: “I can tell you that this would NOT have happened had I let the fear of what *could* happen win. I was prepared for the worst, but somewhere under all of the layers of anxiety…I didn’t expect the worst.” During races, I’m sometimes too easy on myself when I’m tired and exhausted, but this post is a constant reminder that running is as much mental as it is physical.

Today: My dog is The Biggest Loser.

Elizabeth‘s dog, Clark, was feeling a little under the weather, so she brought him to the vet for a check-up. When the doctor examined Clark’s abdomen, his belly made some loud crackling noises. It turns out it was a huge bubble of gas, or as the doctor put it, “Clark has a giant fart brewing.” If that isn’t funny enough, the rest of the post is hysterical. I laughed so hard, I cried.

Ok, so I bet you’re wondering how a blog post about a dog fart could change my life. Well, this post was a wake up call for me with regard to the blogs that I read on a regular basis. At the time, my Google Reader included a number of blogs that were negative and made me unhappy, but, for some reason, I kept reading them. When I found myself cracking up about Elizabeth’s post, I realized I only wanted to spend my time reading blogs that made me feel good and had something positive to offer their readers. Since then, my Reader is a much happier place.

Last Night’s Dinner

Before dinner last night, Mal and I took Murphy for a special birthday car ride to the pet store to buy more of his dog food. We were just about out of it, so it was a good excuse to take Murph for a ride in the car, which he absolutely loves.

Pug bliss.

We almost bought Murphy a new Puppia harness and leash, but we decided to wait until his current harness and leash really need to be replaced. Plus, they were wicked expensive! It was a little over $50 for both! It looks like Murphy needs to start saving his doggie allowance.

At home, Murphy enjoyed chewing on a bully stick to celebrate his second birthday. Obviously, he loved it.

For dinner, I had TJ’s Pork Gyoza with roasted broccoli and cauliflower on the side.

I doused everything on my plate with TJ’s Gyoza Dipping Sauce, which is so amazing– on gyoza (obviously), but also roasted veggies.

For dessert, I enjoyed a Go Big Oat Chocolate Hazelnut Cookie, which was delicious. It had lots of chocolate chips and hazelnuts throughout.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was the usual: almond butter on toast with banana slices and an iced coffee with soy milk. It never lets me down.

Feel Great Weight

In February, I wrote about some of my favorite fitness blogs that inspire me to exercise regularly, which keeps me sane and helps me maintain my Feel Great Weight. I’m always curious how others stay motivated to maintain or lose weight, and I love learning new tips and tricks, so here are some weight-loss bloggers who inspire and motivate me: 4 Inspirational Weight-Loss Blogs.

Has a blog post (or blogger) ever changed your life? If so, which one and how?

P.S. I’m hosting a Teddie Peanut Butter giveaway on Trading Up Downtown!

Shanna, Like Banana June 15, 2011 at 10:32 am

You!

Your honesty and integrity to who you are shines through your blog. I appreciate your style as a blogger more than anyone!

Dori June 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

I love this post! I am really happy to see Rachel Wilkerson’s here. Owning it and not feeling guilty has helped me immensely as well!

Elizabeth June 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

Thank you so much for including my (totally weird) post. :) I really appreciate the reminder that some of our stranger, realer moments make the best stories.

I’ve always loved reading CNC, but I’m not sure I ever thanked you for your marathon training posts, and recaps following all of our long runs. I felt so lucky to have teammates like you (and Mal!)– whether you know it or not, you played a big role in getting me over the finish line. :)

lynn @ the actor's diet June 15, 2011 at 11:10 am

i think i read one where someone blogged about just deleting mean comments, since it was their blog? could it have been you?

Tina June 15, 2011 at 11:25 am

@lynn @ the actor’s diet: Hmm… not me. I very rarely delete comments. Although, maybe I should start doing it?!

Lauren June 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

Okay, I’m sitting at work this morning catching up on my blogs (productive right?) and I’m trying SO HARD not to laugh really loudly at that dog fart post. I seriously have tears streaming down my eyes from trying to hold the laughter in!

I am new to blogging so tons of blog posts inspire me, but since I’m training for my first marathon any marathon recaps inspire me the most right now.

Nicole @The Wine Diaries June 15, 2011 at 11:25 am

My friend Christina introduced me to your blog about a year ago but it wasn’t until a couple months ago that I became completely addicted. It is weird because I am about to get married, I have a Pug and I am trying to lose weight for the wedding which is sort of where you started! And this week I got the courage to start my own. I was feeling down about life in general because I just graduated from college and finding work is ridiculously hard right now. But I love blogging and I suddenly feel refreshed now that I am dedicating my time to something like this. So thank you for the inspiration!

Nancy June 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

Tina – I love reading your reviews of the TJ products. I just discovered my local store as well and was at first overwhelmed by the many products that I wanted to try (but didn’t know if they would be any good).

Amy June 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I read quite a few blogs, but only a couple that really keep me motivated. Yours for one because you don’t have such a hard schedule, you just do what you can when you can, you don’t worry so much. I don’t want fitness to be a burden in my life and you helped me realize it doesn’t have to be.

The other is BodyRock.tv! Her workouts are just what I need and want, they quick but really effective and challenging.

Other than that, all the other blogs I read are just for fun or to get meal ideas…

Samantha Flickinger June 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm

The first blog I ever subscribed to was Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life. From there I have found so many others.

I have “Carrots N Cake” written on a piece of paper on my fridge – because I really want to read the book, but also because it reminds me of me. I love sweets (hence cupcakes as the second half of my blog title) but I also love working out and staying fit. When I found out you also blogged, I couldn’t help but subscribe.

I love the idea of making sure all of the blogs you read only make you happy, and enjoy reading them regularly. I’ve found a few myself that sounded good at first, but after a few readings made me go, “meh, not interested!”.

I can’t wait to buy and start reading your book!

Abby June 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm

One of the blogs that has really changed my life is Oh She Glows. Her post about Lessons in Self Love helped me to stop being such a calorie counting nazi and begin enjoying my life again.

Beth (Well Ill Be) June 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

This is a really cool post Tina, thanks for sharing, I love hearing what other blogs, bloggers read. Is that doggie nail polish in that store??

Gina G June 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I would say Kailey from Snackface has because you can honestly tell from her writing what a genuine good person she is. She really has wonderful, sincere posts that really make you think. I love it! :)

Delaney June 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Happy Bithday Murphy!! My dogs love bully sticks….Until I found out what they are.. : ((

AR June 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Thanks for the shout out! :) Running really is just as mental as it is physical and it’s taken me many years to get any kind of handle on it. If you do the training and get your head in the right place good things can happen, kinda like how Shalene took bronze in the 10,000 in Bejing while getting over food poisoning.

Doc (The Healthy PhD) June 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’ve been reading your blog and Kath’s blog (KathEatsRealFood) since 2007 or so, and I’ve always appreciated how you guys evolved your lives and unapologetically documented it all. I think that authenticity is what keeps me coming back :)

Lisa June 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’d have to say Run Eat Repeat. I’d never heard of this “world” until I googled “running tips” and found Monica’s blog. I was instantly hooked. She was funny and I liked reading about her training. Then I started reading other blogs and finally created my own!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Love this post. As I am new to this whole healthy living blogging thing I am definitely learning just where exactly mine is fitting in. Each day is a little different. Thanks for the inspiration!!!! :) It’s a lot different once you become a mom too. ha!

Liza June 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

What a great post idea. I LOVED Jenna’s post on Eat Live Run, that really changed me too!

Amanda Jewell June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I love reading funny and light blogs! But, I do also like to read blogs that cover other more serious topics because I like it when I read something and it makes me face my own opinions/beliefs on the topic. However, if a blog is serious and depressing all the time, I won’t follow it b/c let’s face, life is serious and depressing enough! We all need a little motivation and humor in our lives!
    Btw, the “No Outfit Is Complete Without Dog Hair” sign describes my life. Siberian husky = furry clothes, hair, apartment, car, food, and everything else … lol

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I feel like every blog that I read has changed me in some way. I think Angela has probably had the biggest effect though – her blog was the first I read and it’s what inspired me to change my relationship with food and exercise!

Nicole @ sugarcoatedsisters June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Aww, it almost looks like Murphy is smoking a cigar instead of chewing a bully stick! So cute.

Tina June 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm

@Nicole @ sugarcoatedsisters: Sometimes, we call him Groucho Barks.

Cat June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I have to say that the whole Marie Claire scandal really made me realize the value of healthy living blogs. I’d been reading many regularly for just under a year at that point and that story and your responses made me think a few things. First, I was really impressed with the responses you all had to it: completely graceful, professional, humble. Secondly, I felt defensive of y’all, much in the way you might feel if a stranger tried to beat up a good friend. Once I thought about it all, it made me realize that while I thought I was just reading these things lightly and for work-related research (hah!), you all had made an impact on me. I already work in fitness, but I think getting turned onto blogs re-invigorated my work. I’d become kind of uninspired and was not even that into my own workouts anymore. It was not good! But reading blogs really helped me! I’d have to credit Healthy Tipping Point with the good percentage of that, a lot of the stuff Caitlin has written about stress-management, anxiety and all that really resonates with me! Also, her blog was where I found out about the Echelon Gran Fondo a bike event in Napa that I also participated in and it was amazing! Really random to find out about a local event via an East Coast blogger! :)

erica June 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm

my dog loves bully sticks. in fact, he’s sleeping next to one right now. i was so grossed out when i found out what they were, but he loves them! LOL.

(btw, murphy looks/is so lean and trim. my sister’s pug is so lazy and has a mini weight problem. i told her about the pug 5k and she couldn’t believe murphy ran it! i think she should start taking him on slow jogs! i should show her the post to give her some motivation :))

i think Oh She Glows got me completely interested in the healthy lifestyle. gotta love the green monster…i had one for breakfast today!

Tina June 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm

@erica: You should!!!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

This was super great, thanks!!

Krissie J June 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Your blog has been really inspirational for me to delve back into blogging (I had many starts and stops over the years). I’m really enjoying your book and can’t wait to try the recipes you have in it. I really relate to a lot of your posts because, like me, you aren’t trying to be over-obsessive with staying healthy and you love beer! Plus, your pugger is just too cute to not read about! :)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner June 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm

You! But since I won’t suck up in this comment, I’ll also add Hungry Runner Girl. Reading her blog made me view running in such a fun, happy light. A very positive lady.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) June 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm

What a great post! :)

Wendy Irene June 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Carrots N Cake – before you I really didn’t know what blogging was or what it could be. It has opened up beautiful doors and been the source of wonderful new connections. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the inspiration you provide me <3

Kayla @ Sprouty Buns June 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Okay, I’m feeling a bit embarrassed about this questions but … what is gyoza? Is it like a dumpling? :)

Tina June 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm
    Tracy June 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I loved Emily from The Daily Garnish’s post about why she quit drinking. While I’ll never quit drinking, the post really resonated with me about choosing to live a healthy lifestyle and not apologizing for your healthy habits.

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic June 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love reading about what inspires you! I’m so glad I inspired you to write about what inspires you! :-) It is amazing how much a part of your life blogging becomes and how helpful it can be.

Rachel Wilkerson June 15, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Tina,

This made my day! THANK YOU!! I am so happy you were inspired to start owning it more often and I really appreciate everything you wrote here — and I am SO excited you’ve inspired more people to say “Sorry I’m not sorry”!

Lindsey June 16, 2011 at 11:52 am

I loved both Caitlin’s and Rachel’s blog! I actually cried, out loud, in my office, surrounded by people, “YES!”YES! EXACTLY!” at Rachel’s Fourth Rule Blog. A lot clicked in my head when I read it and i’ve been ‘owning it’ left and right since.

It’s awesome that there are so many powerful voices in the blogosphere!

Amy June 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm

As of late, it was Julie at PB Fingers when she wrote about how she left her full time job to follow her dreams. Her post really struck me, and actually encouraged me to apply to write for Skyword .. not for money, but for me!

Baking 'n' Books June 22, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Thanks for this Tina. I want to check out the link to PB fingers provided by Amy above…see, you illicit good stuff from your readers from your topics! :)