Good morning! I slept like a baby last night. After such a busy day, I was totally exhausted. I’m sure my reward beer helped a little bit too! 😉
Last Night’s Dinner
Mal and I cooked dinner together last night, so the meal came together in no time at all. Mal was on bacon duty while I prepped the veggies and bread. Hooray for team work! Here’s what we had:
BLTs with mayo on lightly toasted whole grain bread.
Arugula salad with tomatoes, feta, and balsamic vinegar.
And steamed green beans.
Dinner was really tasty, but dessert was the highlight of my evening! I made a ‘healthier’ version of Strawberry Shortcake. I’m still impressed how well it turned out!
Healthier Strawberry Shortcake
Makes 4-8 servings
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites (or 1 egg white)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Strawberries, diced
- Vanilla yogurt for topping
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
- Coat a 9 X 3 loaf pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Allow shortcake to cool before serving.
- Top with strawberries and yogurt.
The shortcake turned out so light and fluffy. It was perfect for strawberry shortcake. The vanilla yogurt added just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess without a lot of calories or chemicals (i.e. Cool Whip).
Mal absolutely loved this dessert! I think it actually surprised him because he doesn’t usually enjoy my “healthified” desserts.
This morning, I woke up thinking about sunflower butter, so I added a thick layer to a piece of whole grain toast and topped it with banana slices.
On the side, I had some Stonyfield Pomegranate Berry yogurt and an iced coffee with soy milk.
Exciting news! I registered for the New York Mini 10K in New York City! Wahoo! I’m excited for another trip to the Big Apple. I love that city!
Question of the Day
Finish this sentence:
In my house…
- In my house”¦ the pug gets away with murder.
- In my house”¦ there’s always a jar of peanut butter in the cabinet.
- In my house”¦ we laugh at fart jokes.