• Kitchen of the Year

July 20, 2010

As my husband would say, “it was a long run for a short slide.” Even still, I’m so glad that I went to the House Beautiful’s Kitchen of the Year media lunch yesterday. It was neat to see the kitchen in person and make some new connections.

_MG_4367.JPG

The event was held at Rockefeller Plaza and featured an all-new design by Jeff Lewis, star of Bravo’s Flipping Out. The Kitchen of the Year basically brings the pages of House Beautiful to life and gives visitors the opportunity to experience an “ideal” American kitchen. It was a really cool event, especially for culinary enthusiasts, design lovers, and anyone who just loves pretty kitchens, like me! Plus, if you’re a fan of Jeff Lewis, you’d have the chance to meet him. (I didn’t know who he was before the event, but he’s quite the handsome devil! ;-) )

If you’re interested in seeing the Kitchen of the Year for yourself, it’s open daily from now through Friday, July 23. Each day, cooking demonstrations and tastings, tours and presentations on everything kitchen design-related will be offered. A complete schedule of events can be found by visiting the Kitchen of the Year online at www.housebeautiful.com/KOTY.

_MG_4380.JPG

Jeff Lewis’s design is a 1,000 square-foot, fully-functioning kitchen, which includes an additional 1,000 square feet of outdoor living space. The fully furnished decks outside were perfect for entertaining– the media folks mingled and enjoyed lunch there.

_MG_4369.JPG

Both spaces were open, clutter-free, clean, and minimal.

_MG_4453.JPG

_MG_4438.JPG

The style of the kitchen leans more toward modern with a mix of natural elements. It was sophisticated, functional, and great for entertaining. I want a kitchen like this!!

_MG_4395.JPG

_MG_4398.JPG

For some reason, both the kitchen and outdoor decks reminded me of something you’d see in California. Maybe because it was bright and fresh-looking?

_MG_4415.JPG _MG_4417.JPG

_MG_4396.JPG

_MG_4397.JPG

_MG_4403.JPG

The Kitchen of the Year features a number of innovative components from companies like Kohler, Kraftmaid, Restoration Hardware, The Container Store, Kate Spade (tabletop accessories) as well as many others. It was very upscale stuff.

_MG_4429.JPG _MG_4434.JPG

_MG_4443.JPG _MG_4449.JPG

Ok, now I really want my own house with a fancy-schmancy kitchen! I loooovvvvee it!!

_MG_4438.JPG

Ok, now onto the food! :mrgreen:

_MG_4376.JPG

The event provided a delicious spread of “light bites” with sandwiches from Natures Pride, flatbread pizzas from Bertolli, lots of big fresh salads, and a few desserts from Magnolia Bakery.

_MG_4383.JPG

The sandwiches included a Chicken Salad with Green Apples, Golden Raisins, and Slivered Almonds on Whole Wheat Bread as well as Brie, Apple, and Watercress on Multi-Grain Bread.

_MG_4473.JPG

_MG_4489.JPG

_MG_4386.JPG

Salad and dessert selections.

_MG_4466.JPG _MG_4469.JPG

Sliced tomatoes with mozzarella and pesto.

IMG_4484.JPG

Pizza!!!

_MG_4485.JPG

_MG_4488.JPG

I grabbed a little bit of everything from the spread, including the Brie, Apple, and Watercress sandwich, which I am now determined to recreate at home. The crouton + feta salad was also excellent. I wish I had a recipe for it!

IMG_4480.JPG

All in all, a great event! I’m happy that I spent 9 hours on a bus for it! ;-)

What would your “ideal” kitchen include?

P.S. Two charity organizations are beneficiaries of this year’s Kitchen of the Year. Money raised from the project will support The Alpha Workshops and select products will be donated to Habitat for Humanity at the conclusion of the event.

Lisa @ Early Morning Run July 20, 2010 at 11:37 am

looks likea lot of fun!
    My ideal kitchen would have a lot of counter space and cabinets; plus a double sink. It’s hard to find that in this city.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 20, 2010 at 11:42 am

My ideal kitchen would be very streamlined and have ample cabinet space to keep all of my appliances. I need counter space, too. And it would have a very large, very fancy cappucino machine to feed my addiction, haha.

Lacey @ Lake Life July 20, 2010 at 11:44 am

I absolutely love “Flipping Out” and seeing all of Jeff’s OCD/perfectionist issues. Do you know if a new season will be airing again soon?

Sami July 20, 2010 at 11:45 am

hmmm….what exactly does watercress taste like? is it strong or mild? those kitchens are BEAUTIFUL. i hope that when i decorate my house one day that my aunt helps me. she is SO creative! i love her sense of style when it comes to decor. she’s got these little glass vases hanging on her walls with coffee beans inside as “soil” for fake flowers. it look SO cute…like a little bistro!

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 20, 2010 at 11:53 am

My ideal kitchen definitely needs a big island. I need it for prep space. All my commonly used kitchen appliances I leave on the counter so that I can access them easily instead of storing them so I need more prep space. And a sink in the island would be fabulous.

I love Flipping Out and the kitchens probably have the Cali vibe because that is where he is.

Tina July 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

@Lacey @ Lake Life: I think someone mentioned in the comments above– August 10 on Bravo.

Tina July 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

@Sami: I don’t remember! LOL! It must have been pretty mild?

Rosey Rebecca July 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

I def. want a fancy smancy kitchen. Even an Ikea kitchen will do. I love the outdoor extension of the kitchen, and you’re right- it does look like it should be in California. What an awesome event!

In other news, I’m having a coconut water giveaway on my blog if you’re interested!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries July 20, 2010 at 11:59 am

I don’t know the exact terminology, but I love when the stove top is separate from the actual oven. My ex bf’ mom used to have a kitchen like that(in a million dollar home!!) and it was awesome!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 20, 2010 at 11:59 am

Wow! That kitchen is twice the size of my first apartment!

My husband and I dream about kitchens all the time! We want:
    * Lots of windows
    * Lots of cabinets
    * An island with a counter-top gas range and large griddle top
    * A wall unit double oven (one convection, one regular)
    * Huge bottom-freezer, french door fridge
    * Large, stainless steel, under-mounted sink
    * Separate beverage cooler!

Plus more if I thought too long about it!

Jessica July 20, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Jeff Lewis is all sorts of hilarious!!

Kelly July 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm

that kitchen is incredible! I would love to have a huge kitchen with stainless steal applicances, a dual oven, the works!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Definitely lots of space in general. Counter space, cabinet space ad space to move. My apartment I had this year was horrendous with space. 4 people sharing 6 cabinets to put dishes, cooking and baking supplies, and food in was not good.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness July 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm

A chef! :) .. but also completely stocked so whatever random recipe I find I’m ready to make

Emily July 20, 2010 at 12:29 pm

i would love lots of open cabinetry (i have a tendency to not shut doors), soapstone or poured concrete counter tops, a huuuuuuuuuge farmhouse sink, and a big ol’ refrigerator. my jury’s still out on stainless, though, because dog nose prints take forever to buff out!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 20, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I would love a huge kitchen instead of the tiny one I currently have and any shiny new appliances would be nice!

Christie {Honoring Health} July 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Wow, everything looks gorgeous! All in a days work :D

My dream kitchen would include massive amounts of cabinet space as well as plenty of counter top space. An window seal herb garden with a highly organized pantry. A special little nook that is perfectly lit 24 hours a day for food photography and plenty of props :D

Oh. And a maid to clean it up when I’m done.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Such a gorgeous kitchen! I’d love a kitchen with warming drawers. It’s so hard to keep things warm once they’re prepared! And natural lighting, of course, for optimal food pictures :)

Maura July 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I just googled Jeff Lewis and he is a stud! ;)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Jeff is a hottie! I want him to design my kitchen ; )

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss July 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Counter space is a must. So are real shelves in the pantry. We’re in a manufactured home, and the shelves are made of plastic-coated wire. Small stuff slides right through. Sucks, big-time.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) July 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing the photos! It looks beautiful! In my ideal kitchen I would have double ovens, a large gas stovetop and a giant fridge/freezer…maybe with a mini TV to watch Food Network while I cook…that always inspires me! ;-)

MB July 20, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I think Jeff Lewis is adorable but, unfortunately, he doesn’t play for our team ;(

My ideal kitchen would include a chef and a maid to clean up ;)

Jamie July 20, 2010 at 7:35 pm

oh my gosh…idea kitchen would be huge with a built in fridge, LOTS of counter space, an island (with the stove in the island), nice stove, lots of huge cabinets, a pantry with loads of shelves…sink at the window…

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm

The bus ride was 9hrs, wow.

Hannah July 20, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Right now, my ideal kitchen would include a dishwasher :D And a vitamix. Which means I have to start earning more than a PhD student does and move to America. Both impossibilities right now. Cry.

Kate July 20, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Double ovens and and one of those glorious big red mixmasters! *sigh* a girl can dream…

shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 21, 2010 at 9:21 am

In my dream kitchen I would want a huge island that has electricity and a sink in it…. also granite counter tops and an old fashioned apron type sink.

Kara July 21, 2010 at 11:29 am

This looks like a great event. The sandwich sounds delicious. My ideal kitchen would have TONS of cabinet space and a very large island with power plugs.

Also – that feta and crouton sandwich makes me think a but of a panzanella salad: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/panzanella-recipe/index.html.

Nicole, MS, RD, LD July 23, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Beautiful! I would want a TON of storage for all the kitchen gadgets I already have!