• New Harvest Weekend: Part 3

June 5, 2010

Today was a busy one! But, it was all FUN stuff! :mrgreen:

After the New Harvest presentations, the group traveled to the Reading Terminal for a vegetarian Italian cooking class at La Cucina.

The owner of La Cucina, Anna Maria Florio, is a Philadelphia native and the daughter of Italian-born parents from Italy. She was the instructor for our cooking class this afternoon.

Anna Marie introduced herself and explained how to prepare the various courses of our meal. Then, we broke off into small groups of 2-3 people and got right down to work making our lunch.

Tanya, Anne-Marie, and I tackled the Orange and Fennel Salad.

IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

Lunch also included the most amazing Crostini with caramelized onions, fig jam, and goat cheese. I ate 3 or 4 of them. So good!

We also made homemade Sweet Potato Ravioli, which I really loved. They were doughy and sweet.

IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0049.JPGIMG_0041.JPG

Finishing touches:

Time to eat!!!

Everything was delicious. We did a great job! 😀

For dessert, we enjoyed fresh berries soaked in Limoncello with homemade whipped cream.

After lunch, we ventured over to the Franklin Institute to check out the famous heart exhibit.

The Giant Walk-Through Heart, originally built in 1954, is two-stories high and would be the accurate size for a 220-foot tall person. Cool!

Our last stop of the day was the Philadelphia Museum of Art to see the Rocky Steps.

Jenna and I visited the Rocky Steps on Thursday, so we rested our feet for a little bit.

It was a long day, but I enjoyed it all. Plus, having a 2-hour break before dinner was just what I needed to recharge for the rest of the day.

Gotta get ready for dinner! See ya! 😎

Natalie June 5, 2010 at 6:58 pm

The food all looks delicious, I bet that was such a fun experience. And I remember that giant heart from when my 3rd grade class took a field trip to Philadelphia!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 5, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Nice job with the lunch! I can’t wait to take cooking classes this summer :)

Evan Thomas June 5, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Looks delicious!

Amanda @ Organic Eats June 5, 2010 at 7:02 pm

The food looks amazing!!! How fun!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly June 5, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Looks like a GREAT time!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm

It’s been ages since I saw that heart, brings back memories of elementary school! Your lunch looks delicious, those pictures have my mouth watering! Hope you enjoy dinner!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm

nothing like cooking with others – and then getting to eat it!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 5, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I would love to take a cooking class, and the best part getting to eat all of the creations at the end.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 5, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Like a feild trip but even more fun! That walk through the heart looks cool. We just learned all about the blood flow through the heart..this would have been a neat way to really get into it!

Hannah June 5, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Goat cheese, caramelised onions, figs… those are some of my favourite things. Huzzah! The salad looks like its been made by a real chef, too 😛

Heather June 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm

looks like so much fun! great pics!

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy June 5, 2010 at 8:08 pm

How fun! I’ve always wanted to try a cooking class with a bunch of friends 😀

Amy June 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I must recreate those crostinis. And then eat them in abundance!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 5, 2010 at 8:23 pm

What a great cooking class! SO much fun!!!!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm

The cooking class facility is gorgeous. & orange fennel salad – how refreshing! I hope you had an iced coffee or two to help you get through your long day…oh, and T-2 weeks ’til our BIRTHDAYS! :)

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm

That cooking class looks like fun. I love the hands on type of cooking classes.

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 5, 2010 at 9:35 pm

The heart is my favorite thing in the Franklin Institute. I can’t help but go through it every time. It hasn’t gotten old. The first time I went was 2nd grade.

Erin June 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm

It looks like you’re having a fantastic time and learning a lot, too. Cool weekend! 😀

Wei-Wei June 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm

That’s so awesome! This looks like a lot of fun. I definitely would love to cook with people :D:D I haven’t been to Philadelphia though. It looks like a really pretty place :)

Laura June 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I think I remember seeing that heart on an episode of House!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 5, 2010 at 11:01 pm

looks like so much fun! I bet the cooking class was amazing- you guys made some great things!
    Philly looks great! My boyfriend and I are contemplating the Philly Half Marathon in Sept! I love going to cities I have never been to for half marathons because it allows me the time to explore the city!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 6, 2010 at 12:16 am

That heart exhibit is so cool!

The Wife of a Dairyman June 6, 2010 at 1:21 am

Okay, I’m hungry now! The crostini look DELICIOUS! I could probably eat 10 of them:)

A Teenage Gourmet June 6, 2010 at 2:38 am

Posts like this one are why I just became a blogger myself. :) Events like this look like so much fun!

Helen June 6, 2010 at 2:52 am

It looks like you had so much fun making lunch. I bet it tasted sop good after all the effort you guys put in. You have really seen the sights of Philly too, the heart exhibition looks so cool. Can’t wait to see dinner!

Maren June 6, 2010 at 3:02 am

That was one big heart! Your pictures looked really good, and I love how you made your plate of food all arty and fun.

Max June 6, 2010 at 3:13 am

Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 6, 2010 at 7:37 am

Sweet potato ravioli, where have you been all my life?!

Holly June 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm

The giant heart at the Franklin Institute is awesome. I remember running through it as a kid and thinking it was the coolest thing in the world.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm

The New Harvest supplements really interest me! I’m afraid of the fish oil supplements because I’m afraid they’ll have an aftertaste!

Wendy Irene June 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

The cooking class looks like SO MUCH FUN! Love the pictures!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 7, 2010 at 8:16 am

We had a GIANT COLON exhibit at my local mall. You could walk right through a colon replica. Kinda gross, but cool!

Megan June 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Looks like you had sooo much fun! I absolutely love the Reading Terminal Market — and Philly, in general!