• Today, I Walked

May 16, 2010

Hello and happy Sunday! 8-)

I spent the majority of my day walking. I took Murphy for a long walk around the neighborhood, walked to the grocery store and back, and then walked with Mal (and Murphy) to do some errands. My Garmin was with me the whole time, so I tracked how far I walked–  I covered almost 7 miles today!! I guess all of that walking really added up, huh? All I know is that my legs are definitely feelin’ it now!

Breakfast

I started my morning with a sweet potato + banana smoothie. It was awesome– sweet, thick, and satisfying. Just how I like ‘em! :-D

IMG_0003.JPG

In the mix:

• 1 small sweet potato, baked
    • 1 ripe banana
    • 1/3 block of tofu, drained
    • 1 cup vanilla soy milk
    • Ice

I also had some iced coffee with my smoothie. Liquid breakfast.

IMG_0004.JPG

Lunch

For lunch, I combined a container of Siggi’s yogurt with sliced strawberries, Kashi cereal, and a scoop of “hippy butter.” For some reason, this meal really reminded me of summertime. Maybe it was the strawberries? They were really fresh.

IMG_0008.JPG

Snack

After walking and walking and walking, I was more than ready to refuel. I started with a couple of Coconut Curry Livin’ Spoonful crackers. I melted shredded cheese on one of them.

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0021.JPG

Then, I munched on a carrot.

IMG_0036.JPG

Pug-nocchio.

IMG_0042.JPG

Before dinner, Mal broke out a box of Vermont White Cheddar Wheat Thins. I snagged a small handful, and ohmigod… delicious! I went back for a few more! ;-) It was tough not to!

IMG_0049.JPG

Dinner

For tonight’s dinner, I tried a new recipe from Rachel Ray magazine: Drunken Risotto with Sausage and Spinach. The recipe called for dry red wine, so I broke open a bottle. I may or may not have stolen a couple of sips! ;-)

IMG_0045.JPG

Yummy recipe! It was full flavor and made a wonderfully creamy and savory dish. I forgot to buy spinach at the grocery store, so the meal was missing this key ingredient, but it still turned out well. I think mushrooms would be delicious in this meal– definitely next time!

IMG_0008.JPG

I added the risotto to a bed of romaine lettuce and topped it with some grated Parmesan cheese.

IMG_0004.JPG

On the side, I had a small bowl of grape tomatoes.

IMG_0005.JPG

To satisfy my sweet tooth after dinner, I enjoyed 2 handfuls of pitted dates. Nature’s candy! :mrgreen:

IMG_0003.JPG

It’s Sunday Movie Night! :mrgreen:

Enjoy the evening, bloggies!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I love risotto with red wine! I have made a dish before with it and filet, and it is so delicious!

Diana May 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm

LOL @ Pugnocchio :p
    Also, walking is so underrated. Love it. :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 16, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Yummy looking eats today! :-P
    Strawberries always make me think of summer too…and they’re finally starting to get nice and sweet! I mix them into yogurt or cereal almost everyday :)

Mastering Public Health May 16, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I’ve also been on my feet all day. That looks like a nice recipe to kick back with. Funny Murphy pic!

Amanda M May 16, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Oh my goodness, I have to try that smoothie!!!!! I absolutely love love love sweet potatoes!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 16, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I love the flavors in dishes with wine. Something about the flavor always reminds me of warm summer evenings.

Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 16, 2010 at 6:48 pm

That’s so awesome you walked 7 miles! I love walking too! Especially now that the weather is perfect!
    I love the photo with the puppy and the carrot! LOL
    Risotto looks really good!
    Enjoy movie night!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I probably walked about that far today as well. Literally we walked all over the city looking for bikes, but didn’t find any :(

I’m so intrigued by this smoothie recipe!

theemptynutjar May 16, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Try stuffing the dates with nut butter…makes it nice for a quick snack.

The Wife of a Dairyman May 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Love Rachel Ray’s recipes….so easy and tasty. Your risotto looked delish. Have a great evening:)

ashleigh May 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I walked a ton today too! It’s so nice to get out there and enjoy the weather. I love your kitchen floor!!

Enjoy movie night!

belle May 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm

You really are cutting back on the calories. That smoothie sounds delicious though. Yay for dates !

Daisy May 16, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Today I also walked! All over the city. I’m not a runner but since you mentioned it, now I want a Garmin so I can track my distance!! Laughing out loud at pugnoccio. omg your too much!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite May 16, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I love days when I actively get in a lot of walking :)

Have a great night!

Erin May 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Yum, that dinner sounds great. Enjoy your movie. :D

Jamie @ Catch j(me) - if you can! May 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Long time reader, first time comment. I just HAD to comment on your photos of the carrot + Murphy = HILARIOUS!

Wei-Wei May 16, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I love walking! It’s my main form of exercise.

I agree with belle… seems like you’re eating very little recently! Is there something wrong?? (That sweet potato smoothie is genius, by the way. Can’t wait to try!! XD)

Wei-Wei

kayla May 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Wow! I feel like I ate twice as much as you and I just sat around all day! oh well to each their own..

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 16, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I love walking everywhere! It just makes you feel so good! Your eats all look delicious! I am loving that smoothie…YUM! Enjoy your movie night! I am about to curl up with my husband for some movie time too!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 16, 2010 at 8:10 pm

haha that ‘pug-nocchio’ photo is too funny :)

Casey May 16, 2010 at 8:20 pm

That Risotto looks SO yummy. And I totally laughed out loud at the Pug nocchio photo.

Julie @ Pickley Pear May 16, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I am not a fan of risotto, but with red wine? Possibly! Love your breakfast – Siggi’s is the best yogurt ever!

Sara May 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I really need to try a date – does it taste like a fig? That’s what I always imagine they taste like…it’s too bad they’re so expensive!!

*Andrea* May 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

pugnocchio = too cute!
    sunday movie night sounds so fun!!! enjoy m&m and r&r :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

What a creative smoothie idea. I would not have thought of the sweet potato, but I bet it was so good.

Kati May 16, 2010 at 8:51 pm

We just got back from a walk with our dog too…it always makes me feel better! And props for eating those dates plain like that. I don’t think I could do it!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 16, 2010 at 8:55 pm

That risotto sounds incredible! Yum!!!! And what doesn’t red wine make better?! Exactly :)

Whitney @ Whitinspired May 16, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Pug-nocchio is too cute! And a sweet potato in a smoothie sounds interesting!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) May 16, 2010 at 9:08 pm

i love walking all day – it’s my favorite way to exercise and i miss living in nyc – nobody walks in LA, as they say in the song…

Jenny May 16, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Good day of eats & exercise! Love it:)

Megan May 16, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I love taking long walks with my dogs too! Omg that smoothie looks delicious. Keep up the great work, love your blog!

Katalina @ greenlivingny.wordpress.com May 16, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I loved your breakfast today :) liquid!! mu style too!!! and I also enjoy walking, its a good workout for your legs!!! And yes, mushrooms will definetely be a nice addition to the risotto!:)

Stacy Grows Healthy May 16, 2010 at 10:43 pm

It is nice to fit exercise in day to day activity. Don’t you love the nicer weather?

Rachael May 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I like the sweet potato in a smoothie idea – my root cellar is still chock full of them. and due to the insane humidity in North Carolina of late (or shoddy construction..I should re-examine my carpentry skills perhaps), they are starting to rot. Icy sweet smoothies might be the way to go!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) May 17, 2010 at 12:16 am

Love the Murphy and the carrot photo! Too funny! The risotto looks delicious! Don’t you just love your Garmin? I love mine…..it makes you want to keep going to see your distance rise!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 17, 2010 at 12:52 am

Pug-nocchio! haha!! Murphy is the cutest!!!! I love pugs so much.

I don’t know how I’ve never thought of putting sweet potatoes in smoothies! That sounds delish.

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 17, 2010 at 2:59 am

i love getting a lot of walking in. i walk about five miles a day to and from work and i REALLY notice when i get rides or whatnot… walking just feels so much better!!!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs May 17, 2010 at 3:01 am

Sweet potato and banana smoothie! That sounds brilliant! I definetly want to try that :D
    7miles, good job!

chillichocolatelover May 17, 2010 at 4:58 am

Mmm, dates are the best! I love walking, and really think it is one of the best forms of exercise. It’s just finding the time to cover serious miles in the week as I have no choice but to drive to work as it is 25 miles away on a business park. Murphy alwaysa makes me smile :)

diana(mymarblerye) May 17, 2010 at 7:45 am

did rachel ray make that for her anniversary or valentine’s day with her hubby? Anyways, your 7 miles walking is the reason I want to move to a bigger city!! I love walking anywhere if the neighborhood allows!

Hannah May 17, 2010 at 8:53 am

That reminds me, colour-wise, of a beetroot risotto I made once. But I definitely want to try this – glorious wine! :P

AK May 17, 2010 at 11:00 am

I so love following your blog. You give amazing ideas. On another note – I love the floor in your kitchen. I saw it in your pic. Have a great day!!

Bekah @ runtrackmind May 17, 2010 at 11:11 am

OMG, I love Pug-nocchio! I actually laughed out loud, which is not all that crazy I know, but I was reading it at work so yes I think I might have gotten “the eye” from a few people. ;)

And great smoothie idea!

Annie May 17, 2010 at 11:50 am

I’m glad you liked the drunken risotto. That’s in my “to-make” box. It looks delicious!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh May 17, 2010 at 12:27 pm

that smoothie looks yummy! i would have never thought to add sweet potato? lol you’re a genius

roxan May 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Great idea on adding sweet potato to a smoothie!

B May 18, 2010 at 1:01 am

When I studied in Italy last semester I had the best dish in Florence, which was “drunken spaghetti” with red pepper flakes and slivers of garlic. I’m sure the risotto was very similar. I found the recipe for drunken spaghetti on the website seriouseats that was based off the exact recipe from the osteria I ate at in Italy. I overcooked the spaghetti but now I am inspired to try again!

Lacey @ Lake Life May 20, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Sweet potato smoothie sounds delicious!

Also lol @ “Pug-nocchio”

Jill August 2, 2010 at 10:14 pm

haha Murphy is so sweet! We definitely want a pug. That smoothie does look good! Is risotto like rice? I’ve never had it! :)