• Lose the Dough: April Check-In

April 23, 2010

Spring has definitely sprung here in Boston! This city is gorgeous! :mrgreen:

IMG_0001.JPG

Tulips always put a smile on my face! :-D

IMG_0004.JPG

Lose the Dough

So, I can sum-up this month’s Lose the Dough check-in by saying that I’ve had a littttttle too much fun lately. Over the past few weeks, I’ve definitely enjoyed my fair share of indulgences: Blizzards, fancy Raclette dinners, the Pillsbury Bake-Off, cocktail parties, wine events, wine tastings… um, you get the idea.

Anyway, here are my stats for this month:

• Weight: 131.8 pounds
    • Body Fat: 21.2%
    • BMI: 22.7
    • Waist: 26.5 inches
    • Abdomen: 28 inches
    • Hips: 38 inches

In comparison to my previous check-ins (January, February & March), all of my measurements increased! Ok, so they were minor increases, but still. I guess all of that fun added up, huh? But, to be completely honest, I don’t really care. I feel like I am shaping up and my body looks different to me. Check out this photo comparison from the past three months. Doesn’t the shape of my body look different? All I know is that my muscles are starting to look scary-awesome at Body Pump! ;-) I guess the numbers don’t give you the whole story.

IMG_0005.JPG

In the past month, I’ve been much more relaxed about my Lose the Dough challenge. In fact, I barely even talked about it on CNC. My 30th birthday is less than 2 months away, so if I want to look like I did for my honeymoon, I need to get it together and focus. I decided to set a few goals to keep myself on track for the next month:

• Enjoy 1 dessert per day. It can be any dessert– no calorie limit or anything like that– but just 1 dessert per day. I’ve gotten a little out of control with the sweet treats lately.
    • Schedule my workouts each week. I used to do this all of the time, but I’ve gotten lazy lately. Planning my workouts motivates me and helps me stick to a schedule.
    • Visit Healthworks once a week. I have a membership at HW until the end of June, so I really should take advantage of it, especially since I love working out there. I always leave feeling inspired. Plus, they have so many fun classes!

So, that’s the plan for the next month. Wish me luck!

Lunch

I didn’t get home from Healthworks until almost 2:00 pm, so, not surprisingly, I was about to eat my arm because I was so hungry. I took a lightning-quick shower and then broke out the Livin’ Spoonful crackers. I immediately chowed-down two of the Coconut Curry crackers. Frickin’ delicious. Seriously, you need to try them. I also ate two of the Caraway Crisps with lunch.

Lunch also included a Gala apple and a nice, thick smoothie. In the Vitamix:

• Frozen butternut squash
    • Banana
    • Kiwi
    • Old-fashioned oats
    • Chia seeds
    • Vanilla soy millk
    • Vega Smoothie Infusion

IMG_0006.JPG

Snack

My lunch held me over quite well all afternoon, so I wasn’t really hungry for my usual afternoon snack. Instead, I made myself an iced coffee with vanilla soy milk. I sipped on it while finishing my work for the day.

IMG_0008.JPG

Mal and I are having dinner with Dave and Marie tonight. I have no idea what’s for dinner, but Buffalo Chicken Nachos sound so good to me right now! ;-)

P.S. I have a BIG announcement for Monday morning!!!

Christie April 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I’m glad you don’t freak out over tiny increases- You def look great! :)

~Christie

*Kate* April 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Okay, sooo this has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I’ve been following your blog for a while and I can remeber several rockin’ bachelorette parties! Any ideas or tips? =)

diana(mymarblerye) April 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I love the positivity of this post. I get wrapped in numbers from time to time again but at the end of the day I’m healthy, happy, and trying to keep my heart strong through my workouts. I’m no Jessica Alba and might never be but numbers shouldn’t RULE our lives!

janetha April 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm

tina, your body shape has CLEARLY changed! you look so ripped~ keep up the good work! xo

Lori April 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Well of course you look great and I had no idea how far you had come! You weren’t THAT big before, like my size or anything but a difference. Had i known this, I would have asked you for pointers while I was hanging around you;)

Emilyeatsclean April 23, 2010 at 11:45 pm

You’re working hard, enjoying some delicious treats along the way, AND you look great! No fears about those numbers…..who cares! Your clothes fit? You’re happy? Life is good! :)

-emily

Sarah April 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I will wish you luck like you asked, but you look INCREDIBLE. Fit, healthy, and enjoying life all at the same time, aren’t you lucky! You are right, the numbers don’t tell you everything.

Mandy A April 24, 2010 at 12:39 am

My 30th bday is tomorrow… I have had a year of ups and downs – I’m a total stress eater and have gained 20 pounds since last year :( I had vowed to get back into shape for my 30th… but that didn’t happen. You have done an amazing job and I’m always so very impressed with how well you balance your life! I say you have a lot to be proud of :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 24, 2010 at 12:43 am

Glad to hear you are not freaking out about your ‘numbers’, bc you look great and it seems like you work so hard to stay fit and eat healthy.

Hannah April 24, 2010 at 1:05 am

I love, love, love your apporach to life and yourself. Thank you!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs April 24, 2010 at 1:51 am

Regardless of what your stats say, you still look fabulous! And I really admire your attitude too :)
    LOVE the idea of squash in a smoothie!

Jessica Lee April 24, 2010 at 2:15 am

Good for you Tina. You have such a positive outlook and that is sooo important when it comes to body image and the numbers and all that. I wish people (myself included) could just be happy with how we feel and NOT what the numbers tell us. Keep up the hard work at BodyPump and with your goals you’ll be in honey moon shape in no time. PS. I think you look GREAT in that pic above. You have such a womanly curvy body! So hot!

Wei-Wei April 24, 2010 at 4:26 am

Those tulips are gorgeous – but not as gorgeous as you! You’re looking great! Remember, numbers are only a small indication of health and beauty. As seen on an Operation Beautiful note:

“This scale may tell you how heavy you are, but it won’t tell you… how beautiful you are!”

Have a great weekend! :D

Wei-Wei

Shannon (The Daily Balance) April 24, 2010 at 8:49 am

you look amazing!

can’t wait for the announcement!

runnerforever April 24, 2010 at 8:49 am

You look super fit!
    We have to wait all the way until Monday, can’t wait!

Lindsay April 24, 2010 at 9:00 am

Tina- A few months ago I thought you looked good, but I can see a difference. You look great! And you look happier in this month’s picture. =) You are such a positive influence… the numbers don’t matter. It’s all about how YOU feel!!!!!

Jenny April 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

Wow! Great spring pictures! I love the first one with the tulips in the front and the buildings in the back!
    It looks like you are making good progress on your challenge! Way to go!

Lauren @ Running Examiner April 24, 2010 at 9:31 am

Holy abs! You look great, Tina! Sometimes, I think you start to experience the best results when you stop being so fixated on the end goal. I know this always happens for me!

Tricia April 24, 2010 at 9:59 am

I’m in the process of packing (moving may 1st), so I’m looking for any excuse to cook/bake with the ingredients in my pantry. I tried the 5-ingredient peanut butter bars from a few posts ago – delicious! And it ended up bring just the punch of protein we needed to keep packing! And my boyfriend had unplanned overtime work today so he took the rest for a workday snack. Thanks for sharing! And you do look awesome and have sounded happier, too :-)

Holly @ Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices April 24, 2010 at 10:11 am

Those tulips are beautiful! & Tina- you look AWESOME!! I think it’s important to enjoy life sometimes, like attending the events that you did, and you barely increased on your measurements, and you definitely CANNOT see it one bit!!! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 24, 2010 at 10:15 am

i think your goals are definitely doable and should make the next 2 months just as fun! it’s refreshing to know that you’re not going to restrict yourself at all and are still striving to maintain balance in this challenge :)

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) April 24, 2010 at 10:16 am

I think you look wonderful, I wouldn’t change a thing!

I understand how you feel regarding the need to relax about an upcoming goal, I have a similar challenge in place for my 25th birthday and rather than make progress towards it, I’ve been so lackadaisical about it. Though, my clothes fit better despite what the silly scale says…so I’ve decided to put numbers out of my mind and focus on how I look and fit into my jeans. Numbers just mess with my psyche.

Dede April 24, 2010 at 11:35 am

You look great. I would not let 3 lbs. get to you. Stay positive :0)
    I am so excited for Monday to come. I feel I might know, but that could be just a silly thought. I guess I will have to wait for Monday. Enjoy your weekend.

Brittany April 24, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Numbers definitely don’t tell the full story. I think you are looking awesome and it’s motivating for me as I try to get in my best shape this year!!

I hope all is going well and that you, Mal and Murphy have a lovely weekend. I can’t wait to hear the big news on Monday.

NV2 April 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I love, love, love your attitude. Also, your body fat percentage went down this month, so the not-even-two-pounds of gain is at least partially due to muscle increase! You’re doing a phenomenal job of maintaining your weight while living it up and practicing healthy indulgences. Obviously, you’re proof that you can splurge a little bit and maintain your weight — you don’t have to run screaming from desserts or fun restaurant weekends. Fabulous! I agree that the best way to kick it up a notch is just to make those simple changes rather than give up anything or go weirdo restrictive.

Laura April 24, 2010 at 7:24 pm

okay so i don’t know if you will read this or anything but i have a question. So you say that you plan your workouts, I do the same thing and i feel it motivates me too. I used to plan my meals for the day as well but i stopped doing that because it gets tiring after a while to measure and count calories and everything. Do you plan your meals on a daily basis or just wing it? I’ve beenw wanting to lose weight so badly because over the winter i gained SO MUCH!! I just can’t keep motivated even with writing it down and everything? What do you do to stay on track?

Tina April 24, 2010 at 8:54 pm

@Laura: I just wing it, but I’ve had success in the past with recording what I eat. Check out the Weight Loss section of my blog!

Robin April 25, 2010 at 12:17 am

Beverly April 25, 2010 at 8:25 am

Not too bad though! Your numbers are a little higher but not by tons! Definitely doable and something still in check girl. You deserve a little time of misbehaving! I love the tulips too. I just recently cut some and put them with some lilacs from out front on my kitchen table. Feels so springy!

Anthony April 25, 2010 at 10:21 am

Alan April 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Sam April 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Hilary@coffeeismycarrot April 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I just finished my clean eating challenge that I think changed the body in a very short time (21 days sans refined sugars and over-processed foods) and then immediately had a weekend of over-indulgence on a wine-tour with the fam. It was worth every calorie and the slight increase in stats. I figure if the lifestyle is overall healthy, it will all even out. That being said, I’m with you on trying to get back on track and also have the 30th birthday looming.

Karrah August 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Is the VitaMix really worth the money? It is pretty expensive, but you seem to love it.