• I Need More Yoga In My Life

April 27, 2010

Seriously, why don’t I do more yoga?! I love everything about it– the breathing, bending, stretching, strengthening– and I always feel great afterwards. So, why the heck isn’t it in my weekly rotation? *Sigh* I need more yoga in my life.

A couple of weeks ago, I took advantage of a deal through LivingSocial.com6 yoga classes for $30 at Real Life Yoga. After my failed attempt at my Yoga Challenge last March, I’ve been meaning to add yoga back into my life. I figured if I paid for 6 classes, it would motivate me to go and help me get back on track. Once I shelled out the money, I was committed. I didn’t want to waste 30 bucks!

When I arrived at the address for Real Life Yoga, I was a bit confused. All I saw was a big, stone church.

IMG_0005.JPG

I really wondered if I was at the right place or not.

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

But, then I saw this sign:

IMG_0006.JPG

I walked into the church and followed the signs upstairs and down a long hall to the yoga room. To be honest, it was not at all what I expected! I guess I’m just used to “traditional” yoga studios and not a room in a church. Even still, I stayed and enjoyed a wonderful, much-needed Beginners Yoga and Meditation class.

IMG_0009.JPG

We did so many hip-opening poses– a few of which were new to me. It felt so amazing on my tight hips and hamstrings. Ahhhh! I loved it! Again, why don’t I do more yoga?!?

IMG_0010.JPG

Lunch

After class, I worked for a couple of hours and broke for lunch at exactly noon. I was more than ready to EAT! I threw together a mile high-salad with all sorts of goodies in it.

IMG_0011.JPG

In the mix:

IMG_0019.JPG

For the sweet potatoes, I sliced one into small disks, coated a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, spread the pieces on the baking sheet, and roasted them for 20 minutes on 350*F. It was so simple and the sweet potatoes came out great.

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

I also chugged-down a big bottle of water. I’ve been so thirsty today! (Probably from the 3 glasses of wine that I drank last night! :oops: )

IMG_0025.JPG

After lunch, I enjoyed a special treat: apple slices + caramel dipping sauce! SO YUM!

IMG_0026.JPG

The caramel dipping sauce is a new product in my shop. It’s actually part of a 3-pack bundle, which includes caramel cream, caramel topping, and caramel syrup. Of course, they’re all very delicious. Mal tried the caramel syrup in his iced coffee this morning and couldn’t stop raving about it.

IMG_0028.JPG

Best snack ever! I nuked the caramel topping in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it up. The end result was sweet, gooey, and perfect for dipping a crisp apple. Amazing! :mrgreen:

IMG_0030.JPG

The caramel 3-pack bundle is just $28 and you can buy it here. Don’t you think it would make a great Mother’s Day gift?!

IMG_0036.JPG

Murphy and I are headed outside for a long walk. Hopefully, the rain holds off.

P.S. Carrots ‘N’ Cake has a Facebook page! Are you a fan!?! ;-)

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Looks like a nice space for a yoga class :-) Was that in Cambridge? I’ve been to a church there that looks very similar.

Becky April 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I’m so in love with yoga! What a quirky little place :) – but when it comes to yoga, it’s all good! And so is all the food in this post. I can’t think of too many things I like more than sweet potatoes and caramel!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 27, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Yoga is SO AMAZING! I started it 3 months ago and it really changed me life. Check out my post about it here

Nicole April 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm

So adding your sweet potato/apple carrot slaw recipes to my recipe book! Thanks so much, tomorrow is sweet potato day on our menu and I had no idea what to pair it with – looks like it’s gonna be a huge ol’ salad :) Gracias!!

Ann @ Appalachian Appetites April 27, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Have you ever been to Healing Tree Yoga in Quincy? I used to go there before I moved and loved it! Definitely worth a try!

Jessica @ WHY DONTCHA RUN April 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I have yet to take a yoga class. :-/ I’ll admit that I’m a little intimidated about taking a class. I know I shouldn’t be, but it’s just something I need to get over.

The environment of that class looked nice and relaxed – not too intimidating. Enjoy your classes!!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] April 27, 2010 at 8:33 pm

that is a unique place for a yoga class, but it actually looks really cool! beautiful location.

and yes, you do need more yoga in your life. it’s the best! :) Have you ever done Bikram?

Heather April 27, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I just went to hot yoga tonight, and every time I leave I think why don’t I do this more often. It’s such a wonderful change from a typical cardio/weights workout!

Lisa (I'm an Okie) April 27, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Love the space for the yoga! looks VERY relaxing!

Emilyeatsclean April 27, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I actually really like the Yoga “studio” setting…..looks peaceful and relaxing! I too need (and want) to add more yoga to my life. I am DYING to try a hot yoga class!

Wei-Wei April 27, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Wow, sounds great! I need some yoga in my life… The last time I tried it with a video, I stopped halfway because it was just so… boring. :( I guess only classes will do!

I love baked sweet potatoes! That method’s so simple… I also remember Allie from Live Laugh Eat using her panini press to bake cook them! :D

Wei-Wei

Cristina @ avuee » life & thoughts April 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm

What a surprising location for a Yoga class. Never would of guessed it! I too take Yoga classes (Yoga Moves in Reading, MA) and I honestly can say how difficult I find it to take a 90min class after a full day of teaching. It’s so hard, but I’m finding I can still incorporate Yoga into my routine without having a 90min class on my shoulders. I recommend “Power Yoga for Happiness 2″ DVD. The sets range from 34min to a whopping 85min! It’s good.

Simon April 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 27, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I just signed up on the living social site. Thanks for that great tip.

Hannah April 28, 2010 at 12:51 am

Ah, caramel dipping sauce! All that needs is a sprinkling of sea salt and I think I’d be in heaven…

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 28, 2010 at 2:46 am

That church looks so lovely, I’m sure you had an amazinf yoga class there :)

I’ve been struggling with time management and yoga. I love yoga, especially hot yoga but with my current busy schedule I haven’t been able to attend as many classes as I’ve wanted to. I think I found the solution last weekend when I finally tried YogaDownload and have been doing yoga every other day at home and today I’m going to a studio for a change. I love having this much yoga in my life and the 20min sessions are perfect for home, you can do either 1, 2 or a whole hour, whatever you feel like!

Samantha April 28, 2010 at 11:48 am

Yoga is phenomenal! I hope you can do it more often :) I think by purchasing passes, it’ll motivate you to go more. But, I understand and have to make the time for it too! Have you tried HOT yoga yet? That is really awesome for sinking deeper into poses!

Corinne April 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I am the SAME way. When I do yoga I get such a fabulous workout, leave feeling phenom and swear I will do more of it. It never happens though :( I wish I could remedy this. Enjoy your passes, I hope you have found your remedy Tina!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 5, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Hi Tina, I dont read your blog very often even though you’re famous :) But I just linked to this post in my post today. I have been a yoga teacher for 10 yrs and I post daily of me doing a yoga pose in my blog with little yoga tips. I am also training for a bodybuilding competition now as a high raw vegan. I love all athletic pursuits and challenges. Good luck on the yoga and if I could ever help you with anything yoga-related, by all means, ask! Namaste :)