• I Bet You Didn’t Know…

April 28, 2010

Last night, while looking for my checkbook in the office, I stumbled upon this old photo of me:

IMG.jpg

I bet you didn’t know… I lived in a trailer in Kentucky for the first few years of my life.

We were so poor, I didn’t even have a crib. According to my mom, I slept in a laundry basket! After living in Kentucky, my family moved to Italy and then to Massachusetts, where we lived on a dairy farm until I was 12-years-old.

I bet you didn’t know… I won a car.

open_420x279.jpg

Back in 2004, I filled out a paper entry form at a concert, put it in the little cardboard box, and my entry was picked! People really do win cars!

I won a brand new Toyota Scion Xa. At the time, I took the T to work and lived in Brookline (where parking is VERY expensive), so I ended up selling it.

I bet you didn’t know… I met Dave Matthews and he offered me one of his chicken wings.

dave_matthews_300.jpg

I was so star-struck, I politely declined his offer. But, wouldn’t that have been a really good story if I had eaten it!? I ended up getting his autograph though! :-D

Breakfast

Breakfast was really fun this morning! Mal and I did a Grilled Banana Sandwich tastetest: canola oil versus butter.

IMG_0022.JPG

The other day, we were out of butter, so I made a Grilled Banana Sandwich using canola oil. It came out really well, but I was curious how butter would taste. So, this morning, I cooked one of each: a Grilled Banana Sandwich made with canola oil and a Grilled Banana Sandwich made with butter.

For the canola oil sandwich, I followed this recipe. For the butter sandwich, I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and mixed it with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Then, I followed the same directions for the Grilled Banana Sandwich with canola oil.

IMG_0012.JPG

Verdict: the Grilled Banana Sandwich made with canola oil ROCKED!!! :mrgreen:

I’m not going to lie, I was pretty surprised. Butter always seems to make things taste better, but the canola oil caramelized and made the bread much more crispy than the butter. Mal liked the canola oil sandwich more too, but both were very yummy. Holy delicious!

IMG_0017.JPG

I also enjoyed a delicious caramel iced coffee with breakfast.

IMG_0015.JPG

The caramel syrup mixed right into my iced coffee, and with a little vanilla soy milk, it provided just the right amount of sweetness. My iced coffee was definitely a treat this morning! ;-)

The caramel syrup is part of the Le Caramel 3-pack Bundle that I talked about in my lunch post yesterday.

IMG_0007.JPG

Le Caramel 3-pack Bundle, $28 – Buy now!

VinoVoyage Raffle

Have you been thinking about buying tickets to the VinoVoyage?

Well, NOW is the time! Check out this deal:

If you buy a ticket to the VinoVoyage before Sunday, May 2 and enter the code “CnCVino” with your registration, you will be entered into a raffle to win a pair of Red Sox tickets to the August 3rd game against the Cleveland Indians. (The seats are in Sec 8 Box 94 Row RR.)

When registering for the VinoVoyage, be sure to enter “CnCVino” into the Optional Invite Code field. You will need to do this in order to be entered into the raffle.

The winner of the Red Sox tickets will be announced on Monday, May 3 on Carrots ‘N’ Cake.

I’ll definitely be at the VinoVoyage on May 13th. I had such a blast at last year’s event!

What are some of your “I Bet You Didn’t Knows”?

Hiroshi Edamame April 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Hello! My name is Edamame Hiroshi. It is of the Japanese ancestory. It likes the carrotsncake website. It creates a happy with smiling. Do you own a website really?

It likes food. It likes Dave Mathews as well. It creates an emotion increasing!

I enjoy eating, texting, speaking about things, and blow a clarinat becase I am a clarinatist. Do you like?

It enjoys increasing the blog. Work here is like feline sound with firecraker exploding smile! Go human!

Yes. Please continue to update this website as much as possibly. I look forward to your coming transgression.

Edamame Hiroshi

Hiroshi Edamame April 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm

It forgets! I am from Japan! Apology for site.

RG April 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I love this post, and you were such a little cutie pie! Will you do more of these with photos of you as a little girl? I love learning new things about people!

I bet you didn’t know…. I dated a 40 year old Italian guy when I was 20 and studying in Italy. It lasted over 6 months eek!
    I bet you didn’t know… I used to love pot in college and really wish it was legal.
    I bet you didn’t know… I met Fred Durst but didn’t recognize him and did the usual “do I know you from soccer? dance? this school?” etc… until he finally told me who he was. It was very embarrassing!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) April 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Tina amazing post! I LOVE the picture and facts about you. My I bet you didn’t know was one time walking in Saratoga I ran into who was the drummer of the DMBand at the time, and he asked my friend and I if we wanted to go for drinks. I replied….ummm I’m too young! haha

Katy ( The Balanced Foodie ) April 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm

@Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine): I kind of love that he frequently visited a kitchen store! :)

Anne P April 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Love this post – how interesting! Why did you move to Italy??

I bet you didn’t know… I am an adrenaline sports junkie. I’ve gone bungy jumping once (third highest in the world in New Zealand), sky diving twice, and done all sorts of other adventures sports. :)

Sarah R April 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Fun post! I don’t have any all that exciting ones but…
    I bet you didn’t know that I still have a baby tooth (at 25 years old). There’s no adult tooth there to replace it.
    I bet you didn’t know that I almost ran into Scottie Pippen coming off of an elevator in New York. I came up to his belly-button and I’m 5’8.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) April 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Wow, you’ve lived in a variety of places. That’s so cool! Italy?! Awesome! That first picture of you is just too cute! :)

- I bet you didn’t know my parents owned an ice cream stand when I was growing up. We made Gelato from scratch everyday.
    - I bet you didn’t know that I’m an only child.
    - I bet you didn’t know I didn’t graduate high school.

Jenn

Christina April 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Bet you didn’t know… I’ve had my picture taken with Rick Fox (Ex Celtic’s player)
    Bet you didn’t know… I’ve touched and clung onto Tim McGraw’s thigh (LOL!)
    Bet you didn’t know… Jason Varitek and I have bumped shoulders and he said sorry for almost knocking me over :)

Tamizn April 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

You were soooooo cute! I never believed people actually won cars but now I know they do I might fill in more of those free comps! Enjoy your day off the exercise x x

Bree April 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Ahhh you met Dave?? One of my college friends did too. So jealous.

-I bet you didn’t know I have never mowed a lawn.
    -I bet you didn’t know that in 5th grade I was the Indoor Archery State Champion.

liane April 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Oooh, I love this post!
    I bet you didn’t know I won a local radio contest once (yay, free money!)

Tina April 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm

@Bree: I’ve never mowed a lawn either!

Eunice April 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Loving this post! Here are mine. I bet you didn’t know:
    - I was as a Jehovah’s Witness for the first 20 years of my life. Maybe I knocked on your door?
    - I’ve never seen snow.
    - I was born with only one ear!

Sara April 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I bet you didn’t know:

…that I have an identical twin sister.

…that I almost died when I was born.

…that I have an awesome blog! ;)

…that my birthday is tomorrow.

Lisa April 28, 2010 at 2:15 pm

….that I only wash my hair every 9 days (Today is day 8 and No it doesnt stink)
    ….I have a 6th toe on my right foot (You’d never know but my baby toe has 2 seperate bones and nails)
    ….I was voted Person most likely to succeed by my University Graduating class.
    ….I was accidentally mailed an iphone and kept it! I gave away my blackberry BOLD and have been loving the iphone since ;)
    (I did call the company to make them aware. They said they had no record of it…)

Lauren @ Running Examiner April 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I bet you didn’t know…

I had to wear corrective braces on my legs until my second birthday–I was horribly pigeon-toed!

The only way I could afford to live in NYC during grad school was teaching Pilates and
    doing tons of freelance for a movie studio.

I’m a published author! :) (Fine…I’m the author of a chapbook of short fiction, published by a small college in Upstate NY).

Jules April 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm

What a fun post and how interesting to read each of the comments.
    Here goes:
    bet you didn’t know
    - that I went high school with Julia Roberts
    - I was an extra in the movie We Are Marshall and got to meet Matthew McConaughey
    - I am slowly winning the battle fat/weightloss :)

Nicole April 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Had to think about this for a bit-
    Bet you didn’t know…
    -My mom wanted to name me Cinnamon (thankfully my dad talked some sense into her)
    -I studied organic chemistry and physics in London
    -My cousin was Lisa “Left Eye” Lopez

Anna (munchingmamacita) April 28, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I envy you for meeting Dave Matthews. He is my absolute favorite! I’ll be seeing him in concert in Connecticut this upcoming May, though!
    I bet you didn’t know…that I’ve traveled outside of the US more than inside of the US and have been to 13 countries!

Erin F. April 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I love random facts – they give you a whole new perspective on people.

I bet you didn’t know:
    - I was born with an enlarged heart and various other birth defects you wouldn’t expect from a marathon and ultra runner.
    - I broke my arm when I was 7 by falling off the edge of our sandbox wall; it was a whopping 6 inches high.
    - It took nearly 2 years but I successfully un-vegetarianized myself.
    - I got hit by a car and made it out in better shape than the car.

Allison K April 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

what a fun post. Dave Matthew’s nephew was in my brother’s fraternity ,and my brother talked to him once on the phone.

I bet you didn’t know that I met Bill Cosby (in the 80′s when I was in LOVE with the Cosby show). He was a witness in my dad’s courtroom (my dad was the judge!)

Kimberly April 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm

That is so exciting that you met Dave Matthews and he offered you a chicken wing! I was listening to Dave Matthews when I read that post, haha!

PS the toast looks so yummy!

Lauren April 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Long time reader…first (maybe?) time commenter! I just need to tell you that I also made the grilled french toast/banana sammy combo and just about DIED! I also whipped up a quick side of some plain siggis yogurt, SF maple syrup, and cinnamon for dipping – HELLO HEAVEN! I just hope more people start making their life better asap and try this recipe :)

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! April 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

ahhhh i just wasted half the afternoon reading all the “bet you didn’t knows” lol too fun!
    you have come a long way Tina!!! love the pic, its adorable!

Tiffany April 28, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Mine would be that I was featured in Usa Today article about living frugally when the economy took a turn for the worse. I’m still waiting be discovered though!

Angie April 28, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Loved this post!! I would have totally taken the chicken wing from Dave Matthews! So cool!

Katharine April 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Love these! And you’re right, I had no idea!
    Bet you didn’t know…
    … I met the cast and visited the set of The Gilmore Girls.
    … I’m double jointed in my elbows.
    … I took karate for two years (but quit because I was the only girl).
    … I’m the 8th Katharine in a row on my mom’s side of the family. All spelled with two “a’s.”

Maria (realfitmama) April 28, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I MET DAVE TOO!!!!! He groped my thigh and took a picture with me before giving me free tickets to his concert later that night!! He is soooooo beautiful… SWOON :)

Ellen April 28, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I’m going to serve that sandwich at brunch this weekend! Looks yummy.

I had so much fun reading everyone’s “I bet you didn’t knows”…here are a few from me!

I bet you didn’t know….
    -a SWAT team drew their guns then handcuffed my friend and me after we had pulled over to watch a drug bust…they thought we were part of it!
    -James Toback (the guy that wrote Bugsy and directed the recent “Tyson”) approached me in the street in NYC and gave me his number. And I called him. For the heck of it.
    -If it’s yellow, I let it mellow.

Ellen April 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm

i call for a rematch! i just can’t believe that real butter isn’t better :) try spreading it on the bread first, then sprinkling cinnamon sugar on it. melting it could be the problem.

i was running around green lake in seattle last summer and almost nearly knocked into dave matthews! he was crossing the path to toss something and i just about ran into him. i was star struck haha

Brittany April 28, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I loved reading your Did you know facts – I would have never guessed those things about you – obviously!

I met the band members from Yeasayer- no one really knows about them so it’s probably not the coolest fact ever but I think it’s super awesome!!

Lin April 28, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I bet you didn’t know that when I was 15 years old, I ran away from home and hitchhiked from western Montana to eastern Ohio. I had a blast! That was in the summer of 1971, it was still the hippie era when it was somewhat safer to do that, and I didn’t meet anyone along the way who tried to hurt me. I know, I was incredibly lucky, but at the time I was too innocent to be worried or scared and just had a great time. Then after two months, the police picked me up and sent me home.

Lauren April 28, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I met Dave too! My dad worked with Boyd Tinsley’s aunt and she gave us backstage passes to one of their shows. It was incredible. He didn’t offer me any chicken wings, but he did pose for a pic! :)

Kyla April 28, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Bet you didn’t know that before Obama was the President and just our state’s senator, he spoke at my high school for a town hall style meeting. I was in the same room as him! and in heaven :)

Seth @ Boy Meets Food April 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm

So sad, the one mention of Kentucky, and it has to be a poor, barefoot kid outside of a mobile home. I know you are just innocently sharing stories from your past, but I worry that stuff like that just perpetuates the stereotypes. :( I have seriously had people (on the Internet) ask me if people in Kentucky wear shoes. They are usually from California, so I ask them if everybody there is a stoner that surfs. :)

But, hey, at least your timing is pretty amazing. Saturday is the Kentucky Derby! We will get our 5 seconds in the spotlight.

Seth @ Boy Meets Food April 28, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Those are some pretty interesting stories though.

Hannah April 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I’m really surprised by the canola winning too! Wonders never cease :P You’re so cute in the young photo!

Maura April 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Such a fun post! Lets see I bet you didn’t know:
    -Steve Carrell owns a general store down the street from my house (yahh South Shore!)
    - Billy Joel & Christie Brinkley bought the house next door to me. They divorced 6 months later and sold it. Boo!
    - Maura Tierney (Abby from ER) went to my high school.

I didn’t expect them all to be about celebrities but oh well haha :)