• Into the Heart of Italy

March 17, 2010

Even though I was sick as a dog yesterday, Bertolli’s media lunch and premiere were a ton of fun! :mrgreen:

As you know, Bertolli just launched a new series of webisodes titled “Into the Heart of Italy: Six Adventures, Three Celebrities, One Mission… To Unlock the Secrets of Italian Passion for Food and Life.” This online series features celebrity chef Rocco Dispirito and actors Marisa Tomei, and Dan Cortese as they explore the food and culture of Italy. To kick-off the series, I was invited to attend a lunch in New York City with Rocco, Marisa, Dan, and a group of 7 food and celebrity bloggers.

IMG_0150.JPG

The event was held at the fancy-schmany A Voce restaurant in the Time Warner Center.

DSC_0002.JPG

We were treated to a wonderful 5-course meal in a private room at the restaurant.

DSC_0005.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

I was really excited about the event, but don’t I look sort of sick? :-?

IMG_0071.JPG

The meal started with freshly baked bread, drizzled with olive oil. Holy yum!

IMG_0075.JPG

There was a special menu prepared for the event. Everything sounded so delicious– and it was! :-D

IMG_0076.JPG

Funghi al Forno
    roasted trumpet royal mushrooms, fonduta, mache, and hazelnuts

IMG_0079.JPG

Farfalle
    rapini, calabrian chilies, pecorino romano

IMG_0083.JPG

Brasato
    red wine braised beef short ribs, farro, root vegetable soffrito, marrow

I’m not really a meat person, but the beef was my favorite course of the whole meal. Yum!

IMG_0086.JPG

Parmigiano Reggiano
    primolio, balsamic

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Bomboloni alla Toscana
    tuscan doughnuts, bittersweet chocolate

IMG_0097.JPG

Holy yum! :-D

IMG_0100.JPG

While eating lunch, we viewed the first webisode in the Into the Heart of Italy series. I usually don’t get into stuff like this, but I really enjoyed watching what happens to Rocco, Marisa, and Dan as they travel through Italy. They’re actually pretty funny together! Plus, there’s a sweepstakes tied to these series that I really want to win. I need a vacation in a bad way!!

After the lunch, the bloggers received an exclusive hands-on pasta demonstration with Rocco and Dan.

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

We learned how to make Farfalle!

IMG_0114.JPG

First, the guys gave the pasta-making a try.

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

And, then the bloggers gave it a whirl. It’s not as easy as it looks!

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

Success! It’s all about the 3-finger pinch! ;-)

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

While Rocco and Dan chatted with us, I munched on a couple of cookies.

IMG_0104.JPG

And sipped on some hot coffee with cream.

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

Group shot (minus Chris): Me, Vera, Paula, Lori, Lori, and Sabrina.

I truly loved meeting these bloggers! They were all so wonderful, and I’m psyched to add their blogs to my Google Reader.

IMG_0149.JPG

What an awesome event! Thanks for inviting me, Bertolli! :mrgreen:

azzurra March 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Hi!! It’s so strange for me to see all theese food named in the italian way (brasato, funghi al forno, bomboloni) in your blog!! I’m very happy that you like our food!!! (I’m Italian) I hope you will come to Italy!!!! big hug from Italy

Jess March 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm

You don’t look sick! How fun you must have had.

Angela @ A healthy fit March 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Wow, what an awesome trip. All of that food looks amazing. You look darn good for being sick!

blubeari March 17, 2010 at 4:53 pm

WOW. That food looks amazing!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Wow what a fun looking day! I would love to learn how to make pasta from scratch :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Sorry you weren’t feeling well! Hope you feel better soon. It looks like a fun event though. Goodness, those doughnuts look DELICIOUS! YUM!

cara March 17, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Wow that looks like a lot of fun! I hope you feel all better soon. No fun doing fun things while being sick.

Lisa @ Early Morning Run March 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Sounds fantastic! The food looks amazing! So sorry you’re sick, but at least you didn’t have to miss out on such a great experience! Feel better soon!

Elis March 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Drool! Wow, that looks unfrekinbelievable! I have been following your blog for a while now, and just started my own. Would be honored if you checked mine out (:

BroccoliHut March 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Regardless of whether you “look” sick, at least you faced it all with a smile:)

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place March 17, 2010 at 6:01 pm

its too bad you were sick for the event..i always feel like I’m in a fog when I’m sick so I don’t really remember much. Looks like a lot of fun!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) March 17, 2010 at 6:16 pm

What a fabulous event with amazing looking food and great company! How lucky you are. :D I think the bread would have been my favorite course LOL.

Jenn

skinnyrunner March 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm

wow what an amazing event! and rocco is cute!

Jaclyn@todayslady March 17, 2010 at 6:52 pm

What a fun day!! I love your green shirt and the food all looks great! I hope you feel 100% soon!!

kalli@fitandfortysomething March 17, 2010 at 7:48 pm

What a wonderful event. So sorry you were not feeling so hot but honestly you do not look sick!
    Thank you for giving Melissa at NuVal my email-how fun!
    Hope you have a great night and can rest up :)

Alicia March 17, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Wow, what an amazing experience! To make pasta with Rocco… I would die!

Kayla Walters March 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm

It looks like you had a great time! What an awesome opportunity…I’m so happy for you! And you looked gorgeous btw, not sick at all! :)

Kayla

Tara March 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm

That looked like a blast. I just bought a blazer like that.

diana(mymarblerye) March 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm

my crush as a youngin’ was dan cortese…and now it’s rocco…so basically you were with both of my dream dudes in one room….then toss in pasta and chocolate donut thingies and I’m officially in a coma from jealousy and drool

Kelly - Local Foodie Fight March 17, 2010 at 9:08 pm

ooo i love fancy presentation like that parmesean!

elise March 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

dude…rocco is HOT. just had to throw that out there ;) whenever he makes guest cameos on top chef, my fiance teases me that id ditch him for rocco in a hot second…and i dont deny it – haha

MelissaNibbles March 18, 2010 at 11:32 am

That looks like so much fun. You’re so lucky! I had to laugh when you said you need a vacation, when you were kind of on one…heehee! Hey, we’re all stressed out right? I hope you win!

Sabrina March 28, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I can’t wait to be that thin and fit again.