• Day 1 of Yoga and How to Cook Spaghetti Squash

March 1, 2009

My first day of the 31-Day Yoga Challenge was just so-so. It wasn’t awful, but I didn’t feel focused and refreshed after my yoga session like I had hoped.

For today’s practice, I did yogadownload.com’s 20-minute Yoga for Runners audio class. The class itself was excellent. (My practice, on the other hand, was less that stellar!) Yoga for Runners was designed with the runner in mind, and it is intended to be used after any athletic activity to stretch and lengthen your muscles. I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill this morning, so I thought it would be the perfect complimentary workout.

As a beginner, the Yoga for Runners class was difficult for me. (It’s technically an intermediate level class.) The hamstring and hip stretching as well as the core and strength work were great, and I liked those parts a lot. But, a number of times during the audio class, I found myself losing my balance and slow, rhythmic breathing– I actually found myself out-of-breath at times! I also didn’t have much focus as my mind wander onto what to eat for lunch once my stomach started growling! Meh.

I definitely have a long way to go with this yoga stuff! I’ve gotta start somewhere though, right? My yoga practice can only get better from this point on as long as I keep it up! :-D

Feel free to leave your Day #1 Yoga Challenge experiences in the comments section of this post. I can’t wait to hear what everyone has to say!! I’ll compile your comments sometime this evening and add them to the 31-Day Yoga Challenge page.

To start off your 31-Days of Yoga on the right foot, YogaDownload.com is giving all CNC readers 50% off all downloads for the month of March! The coupon code to enter at checkout is CarrotsNCake! :mrgreen:

Lunch

Spaghetti squash. Oh, how I have missed you!

I’ve been meaning to cook-up a batch of spaghetti squash for weeks now, so I was psyched when it finally went on sale at Stop & Shop last week. :-D

I topped my spaghetti squash with garlic-sauteed mushrooms, marinara sauce, and some Parmesan cheese.

I was mmm-ing non-stop while eating my spaghetti squash lunch this afternoon. I forgot how much I love this stuff!

I didn’t add any Olivio to the mix, but the spaghetti squash sort of tasted buttery to me. So delish!

How to Cook Spaghetti Sqaush

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.

2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise.

3. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds in each half.

4. Bake the halves face-down on a lightly oiled tray for about 30-45 minutes (depends how big your spaghetti squash is) or until the skin side of the squash can be pierced with a fork or starts to look a little wrinkly.

5. Remove from oven and allow the baked squash to cool for about 15-20 minutes, then use a fork to scrape-out (length-wise) the “spaghetti” strands from the skin.

FYI: A small, whole spaghetti squash will yield a TON of cooked squash! Spaghetti squash stores well in a Tupperware container in the fridge and tastes great reheated in the microwave.

P.S. I think there is more yoga on the agenda for tonight, too!

Sally March 1, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I did the 30 minute Power Vinyasa Flow 1 today and it was great – my husband liked it too! We started doing yoga together at the beginning of the year and we’re both having a great time with it. It’s especially useful when we’re in grumpy moods, because we always feel better afterwards. It’s become a little bit of a joke with us – if one of us is grouchy, the other always suggests yoga right away.

katie s March 1, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I tried the 20 minute runners yoga as well… I agree… there were definitely some poses that left me feeling off-balanced and out of breath! I feel great after wards but I definitely didn’t have that peaceful feeling throughout it. All in all, I’m glad I gave it a shot!

Ellen March 1, 2009 at 7:11 pm

In my opinion, the Yoga for Runners is better for the days you take OFF from running, as it focuses quite a bit on strengthening the muscles you need when you run. Doing it after you are tired from a run would be really hard! Maybe try one of the ones that focuses on stretching more, like the Morning Flow or the Gentle Hatha.

I woke up this morning and immediately rolled out my mat, which pretty much NEVER happens! I just did the 20 min Detox yoga from Yoga Downloads, which is decently challenging but felt pretty good when I was done. Some of those lunges had me just about cursing though, cause I was still sore from doing yoga the past two days too!

Rose March 1, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I just got done doing Core Yoga #1 from the yogadownloads site. Tonight is the second time I’ve ever officially tried yoga. The first was almost five years ago! I decided to do yoga after my 5-mile run on the treadmill. I struggled with a few moves – specifically BOAT – but I started getting the hang of things as we went along. The PDF slideshow was very helpful for the first time. I also realized that I need to do yoga in my bedroom – away from the noises of the boyfriend and the cat who was constantly giving me the stare-down :)

sue March 1, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I did a 30 minute power yoga dvd today. It’s intermediate level and I’m definitely a beginner but I did the modifications and I’m looking forward to improving my strength and balance. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish this dvd without falling over by the end of the month!

Amelia March 1, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I used the yogadownloads podcast to get an introduction to yoga since I am brand new to the practice. I think the session I did was called Introduction to Yoga #1. It was a little over 25 minutes. I really enjoyed this first session. My favorite part was when the instructor would described what you should be feeling and I felt exactly that! The most difficult part was letting go of everything. I always have a million things running through my mind, so this will be something I’ll really have to focus on this month!

sirenjess March 1, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Tina please don’t give up. The yoga for runners is pretty tough. I downloaded the 60 and the 20. I agree with Ellen it’s not the best choice for doing on a day of running. I went to a yoga studio here in San Antonio that has yoga for athletes and going there was great because I was able to learn about form and make sure that I was doing the poses correctly. I only moved on to other tougher downloads after I felt like I had fully learned the easier ones. Today I did the 30 min. lunch time flow after doing some strength work at the gym and a 90 minute cycle class.

Victoria March 1, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I did the Power Yoga #4 Donation Class from YogaDownload this afternoon, because I thought a class centered around compassion would be a great way to start the challenge. The class spent a lot of time in down dog, allowing me to refocus on my breath when I was losing it, (not to mention really making me feel it in my arms!)

Joe Hrdlicka March 1, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Good deal on the yoga. I’ve just recently started attending some of the classes at my health club and while it’s a very different workout, I’m enjoying it!

Elsa March 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Hello! For the past two weeks I have been doing Bikram (hot) Yoga at least three days a week at a local studio. So I kicked off the yoga challenge with one of their classes. I absolutely love the class. Yes, it is hot and at time uncomfortable but in the end I feel so good. So relaxed and calm. I am extremely inflexible and I know I have a long way to go, but today I could definitely see improvements. Hopefully doing yoga everyday for 31 days will improve my flexibility even more.

Catherine (FOOD SNOB) March 1, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Man, I wish I didn’t dial up to the internet — I’d love to download some yoga classes!

I did twenty minutes of “Stress Relief Yoga for Beginners” tonight. An old favorite of mine.

I noticed Netflix has a number of yoga DVDs — I’m going to give a few a try through them, and also check out what my library may have. Yay yoga month!

Ashley March 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm

For Day One of the Challenge I did the 20 minute version of detox yoga from yogadownload. It was definitely a class that pushed me (Intermediate level) but I really enjoyed it. It was the first time I had done yoga using just the audio, but I really enjoyed the format. I liked not having to look up at the screen or instructor and really allowed me to focus on my practice and my breathing.

ttfn300 March 2, 2009 at 12:14 am

oh boy, i ended today with the core yoga #1. i’m a VERY beginner (done yoga 2-3x before this), and this was tough. i was out of breath at times for alot of it, and had to keep looking at the pose sheet to make sure i was doing it (somewhat) correctly. definitely challenging! now it’s time for bed…

Katie March 2, 2009 at 2:03 am

I decided last night to try and give the yoga challenge a whirl! I went to yogadownload and tried the Gentle Hatha Yoga #1. My boyfriend decided to try and do it with me…..the first minute or two was a little awkward, but by the end I did feel a little better! I’m interested to see if I actually consider this a “workout”, normally for me that means at least 45 minutes of cardio!

Spiceaholic March 2, 2009 at 8:11 am

Yesterday I wanted to ease into things, so I did the beginner’s workout on the Basic Yoga for Dummies dvd. It’s great for breaking down some of the basic poses and as a refresher. I felt really good after doing it!

I also downloaded a couple of the 20 minute podcasts from yogadownload through Itunes, but plan to check out their website.

jenna March 2, 2009 at 9:50 am

Thank you so much for this!!! I made spaghetti squash the other night and it was more like spaghetti mush!!! blah. :) thanks tina

Val March 2, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I did the Comcast on-demand Cardio Yoga for day 2. It’s about 35 minutes, I really liked it!

Dori March 2, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the spaghetti squash recipe – I need to make this since squash is one of the veggies my nutritionist wants me to try!

Elena November 1, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Mine is in the oven right now! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Kelly Brunemn November 23, 2009 at 6:22 pm

FINALLY! I have been wanting to try spaghetti squash for so long but I have been so intimidated by it! Your directions are great and the pictures REALLY help! I am going to do it…thanks!

Jodie June 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Great to see that others appreciate spaghetti squash! It really deserves the attention it gets. A more healthy alternative to pasta, rice and potatoes is hard to find!