A big thank you to Muuna for partnering with me again on this blog post! I love developing new easy recipes, and I hope you guys love these two as much as I do for on-the-go snacking!
Even though I have a lot on my plate nowadays, I still try to make my workouts a priority, which means I’m often on-the-go when it comes to sticking to my usual routine. Most mornings, I leave the house with a bag packed full of healthy meals and snacks for the day. I want to keep my energy up and ward off hunger throughout the day, so I make sure that my food choices are both nutritious and satisfying, especially when it comes to fueling for and refueling from my workouts.
Before my workouts, I typically eat a snack made up of mostly simple carbs since they provide quick energy, like the Cocoa Almond Protein Bars below. These bars are also filled with protein goodness, to give me a little energy boost while keeping my hunger at bay. Post-workout, I want to replenish nutrients and repair the damage of exercise, so I typically try to get a good amount of protein and carbs into my system within an hour or so after finishing my workout. When I’m on the go, these Bacon & Chive Egg Muffins below are super convenient – and sooo tasty!
Cocoa Almond Protein Bars
Hello, deliciousness! These homemade protein bars are made with wholesome ingredients and none of that funny stuff, like protein powder with crazy ingredients. If you’re not a fan of traditional protein powders, these bars are for you! Made with high-protein cottage cheese, whole eggs, rolled oats, and creamy almond butter, they’re the perfect pre- (and post) workout snack to keep you satisfied and well fueled! Oh, yea, and they taste like dessert! 🙂
Makes 10 bars
- 1/2 cup Muuna® Classic Plain cottage cheese
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine ingredients, minus the chocolate chips, in a food processor until smooth. (You can also mix by hand, but the food processor way makes for a “smoother” protein bar.)
- Once combined, stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Line a 9X9 baking dish with parchment paper and then evenly pour in batter. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and allow to cool. Cut into 10 bars. Refrigerate until you’re ready to eat. For a more portable snack, store bars in the freezer.
Bacon & Chive Egg Muffins
If savory snacks are your favorite, you’ll love these Bacon & Chive Egg Muffins! They’re packed with protein from eggs, cottage cheese, and bacon (!!), and the chives add an extra burst of flavor. These are so easy to make ahead of time – and only require one bowl! Simply prepare a batch, store in the refrigerator, and reheat after your workout or just eat cold like I do! 🙂
Makes 9 servings
- 1 cup Muuna® Lowfat Plain cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese + 1/3 cup for topping
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Coat a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (or use a silicone muffin tray).
- Divide batter among 9 cups and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove muffins from oven and sprinkle 1/3 cup of cheese evenly over muffins.
- Turn oven to broil and cook for another 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
As you might have noticed in both of the recipes above, one of the main ingredients is Muuna® cottage cheese, a high-protein and, ohhhh, so creamy cottage cheese. It seriously melts in your mouth! And it makes a great snack on its own for fueling before exercise or for refueling after. Protein + carbs is a winning combination! 🙂
When I first tried Muuna, I was actually surprised by the taste and protein content – it’s even higher in protein than other cottage cheese and Greek yogurt brands on the market! Muuna fruit flavors have 15g protein and 9-11g of sugar per single serve (5.3 ounce) container and Muuna lowfat plain single serve has 19g protein and only 4g sugar. Muuna’s multi-serve containers of Lowfat and Classic plain cottage have 14g protein and 3g of sugar per 4oz serving. All of Muuna’s products are free of artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, and are gluten-free! (Click here for additional nutritional information.)
Question of the Day
What’s your favorite on-the-go pre-or post-workout snack?