This recipe for One-Pan BBQ Chicken has been on repeat lately. Our DTFN clients love it too because it’s just so stinkin’ quick and easy! Seriously, I’ve made a lot of simple recipes over the years, but this one has to be one of the easiest and most delicious yet! I know a lot of recipes claim to be super easy, but then they end up taking too long with all of the prepping and chopping. This One-Pan BBQ Chicken is no-fuss and the perfect family-friendly meal for busy weeknights. Mal has requested it several weeks in a row now, so I’d say it’s a winner – bacon usually does that! 🙂
I almost always do some sort of meal planning every week to stay on track and simplify our life, but, on occasion, dinner rolls around, I don’t have anything ready to go. Easy recipes like this one can really save the day when life gets crazy and planning falls by the wayside. I often plan this meal for a week that I know we have a ton going on and just need a fast dinner on the table with leftovers for the next day. Most of these ingredients are ones we typically keep on hand, so it’s easy to make it happen without any prep.
You can also customize this recipe based on your family’s taste preferences. We use chicken thighs because they are budget-friendly and add a ton of flavor to the meal. However, if you prefer chicken breasts, you can absolutely substitute those into the recipe. I bet pork, salmon, shrimp, or a flaky white fish would also taste great in this dish. You could even toss in spinach or another green veggie if you’d prefer them over peppers and onions or just want to add a little more color to your plate. Plus, that way, you don’t have to worry about having a side dish to go with the meal – just loaded up on veggies!
I could honestly go on and on about why I love this recipe so much, but I’ll just share one more reason: It’s truly a ONE-PAN meal. I find that even “easy” crock-pot recipes include extra steps, like searing meat in a separate pan or sautéing veggies before adding them. With this recipe, you don’t even need to dirty a cutting board! I use kitchen shears to chop the bacon and pre-cut frozen peppers and onions, which mean no chopping at all. There aren’t any extra dishes to clean, especially if you just “wing it” (aka no measuring) with the ingredients like I do. I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy as much as we do!
- 4-6 pieces of thick-cut bacon, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 6 chicken thighs, approximately 1.5-2 pounds
- 2 cups frozen chopped peppers and onions <— I like the fire-roasted ones from Trader Joe’s
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, cook bacon pieces until browned.
- In the same skillet with the bacon, add the chicken thighs and cook on both sides until browned and cooked through.
- Add peppers, onions, and diced tomatoes and continue to cook until peppers and onions are warm and no longer frozen.
- Reduce heat to simmer and then stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to simmer until sauce is heated through.
- Serve over rice, pasta, mashed potatoes, or your favorite veggies!
Makes 6 servings