• Week 6 Challenge: Run 1 Mile

January 31, 2014

Are you ready for week 6 of the Get Healthy, Stay Healthy Challenge?

I actually had this challenge listed for week 7, but we’re going to move it up a little since it’s getting harder and harder for me to run. Haha!

cnc_running

Anyway, this week’s challenge is run one mile (outside or on the treadmill—whichever you prefer). If you’re an avid runner, try to run that mile as fast as you can! If you’re a beginner runner, do you best to minimize your number of walking breaks. Just complete one mile as fast as you can! For even more of a challenge, run one mile at the beginning of the week and then try to beat your time later in the week. (We’ll see how my first mile goes, but my plan is to try to beat my time later in the week.)

Some posts to get you motivated this week:

And be sure to keep track of your mile time, so you can try improving upon it in the coming weeks!

Happy running!

P.S. Just a reminder that I am hosting a Twitter party with the  National Mango Board and Frances Largeman Roth TODAY from 1:00 – 2:00 PM (EST). We’ll be giving away a Vitamix, so please pop in to chat. The hashtag is #colormemango. Full giveaway details here!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } January 31, 2014 at 7:28 am

I’ve been meaning to start working on speed work more often. I ran my first marathon last year and I swear I could run all day at a slow comfortable pace, but I am chasing down a dream of a sub 2 hr half! I will run a mile as quick as I can this week and do so weekly for a while to use it as a measure for improvement.

Jenn@ Mark My Mile! January 31, 2014 at 7:37 am

I love this challenge. So far my Mile PR is 5:02 and I’d LOVE to see if I can beat that…wishful thinking…lol.
    Maybe if I win that Vitamix I could create a super energy drink and get a new mile PR! Attending twitter party for sure!!!!!

Madison January 31, 2014 at 7:55 am

Great! Good luck to everyone and HAPPY Friday! :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 31, 2014 at 7:56 am

I think I can mange this weeks challenge! I will be interested in to see how I improve.

Kim @ Roaming Raspberry January 31, 2014 at 8:14 am

Awww, thanks for the motivation Tina. I’ve been slacking in the running circle. This New England winter is just nonsense though. So. Cold. I’ve been saying for weeks, “just run one or two miles.” so I guess I better get after it if even you are hassling me about it! ;)

Linda @ running4two January 31, 2014 at 8:22 am

Running def does get more difficult the bigger your belly gets…I started having to make 3-4 potty breaks every time I went for a run. :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 31, 2014 at 8:35 am

I planned to run 2 ½ miles yesterday and struggled to just get that 1 mile done. Feeling like my next run (no matter the distance) will be a milestone…lol

Livi January 31, 2014 at 8:41 am

love this challenge! I am super competitive with myself and I can’t wait to beat me ha!

Abi@AbsofSteel January 31, 2014 at 9:13 am

This will be a given for me this week, but it probably means I should do 1 mile repeats….. my favorite (insert sarcasm)

Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 31, 2014 at 9:31 am

Great challenge this week! I am a running junkie and have been really been working on speed and form and this just makes me want to get faster!

Catherine January 31, 2014 at 9:53 am

This is a good one! Does anyone have any advice for how to breathe properly while running?

Jackie January 31, 2014 at 9:54 am

I miss running!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 31, 2014 at 10:00 am

This is a great challenge! Although I consider myself a runner, I know running a mile can seem daunting to a lot of people. It’s so important to just TRY and even if you have to stop and walk, at least you’re starting somewhere.

Annette@FitnessPerks January 31, 2014 at 10:14 am

This is a good one! I’ll try and tackle it Saturday!

Captain Competition January 31, 2014 at 10:21 am

A few years ago I did this type of mile challenge. The fastest I ever ran was 6:45. Good to try it again.

Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) January 31, 2014 at 10:36 am

Running is something I always aspire to do, but just cannot stand. The burning in my chest and legs gets me every time. BUT I know it is so good for you. I may give it a try tomorrow at the gym. We shall see…. Have a great weekend.

Andrea January 31, 2014 at 10:36 am
    Tina January 31, 2014 at 10:39 am

Thank you!!

Marie January 31, 2014 at 10:55 am

I am 5 days away from my due date so this might be a slow mile for me- ha!! :) I’m an avid reader but very infrequent commenter, but wanted to say how much i LOVE your blog, exercise tips, how real you are and as a soon to be mom of 2 (!!!!- gasp! that sounds so WILD!), I’m loving your pregnancy posts as well!
    I am planning on using an online tool to keep track of food (both calories in/out and also protein, healthy fats, etc) once baby is here- good way to keep my milk up and help with the weight loss too. Are you still using “my fitness pal”? I remember back in week 2 or so of your challenge that you were really liking it?
    Thanks Tina! have an awesome weekend!

Tina January 31, 2014 at 11:24 am

Yep, I’m still using it. It’s awesome! 😄

Elisabeth January 31, 2014 at 2:07 pm

@Marie: I second the awesome-ness of My Fitness Pal! Couldn’t live without it now after using it since Dec of 2012 ;)

Kylie January 31, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I like the idea of trying to be your first run time! I don’t run much but every once in a while it’s fun to do it…especially when it’s a challenge against myself. The best kind ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) January 31, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Great challenge for improving pace, I try to do this for the first mile of 3-mile maintenance runs on a treadmill because I can crank up the speed and force myself to maintain it before an interval.

Lindsay January 31, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I actually went “awww MAN!” when I read this. SO NOT a runner. I love cycling, yoga, and cardio and tone… But I’m going to challenge my inner runner this week and do the mile! I think I’ll recruit my running buddy husband, so it’ll be fun to knock it out together;)!

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life January 31, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I would love to run right now, but still recovering from a foot injury. Going through major withdrawal! I’m staying fit biking, swimming and non weight bearing strength training. By the way, I really enjoyed your HEALTH mag article this week!

Abby January 31, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Tried this out today for a treadmill run! My interval run looked like this:

* 1 mile @7 warm up
    * 1 mile fastest mile pace @8.2
    * 1 mile @7 recovery
    * 1/2 mile fastest mile pace @8.2
    * 1/2 mile @7 recovery
    * 1/2 mile @4 cool down

Turned out to be a quick and dirty workout, and now I know about how fast my fastest mile is!

Moira February 1, 2014 at 10:13 am

7:49 I can’t wait to beat my time next Friday!

Tina February 1, 2014 at 10:21 am

Nice job!

Jessica February 1, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I have been trying and trying to be able to jog. I really hope that I can get to running 1 mile without stopping by the end of the week.

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens February 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm

This is a great idea! I actually haven’t ran a timed mile since high school, so I’m curious to see where I’m at :)