• An Update from Chad & Lindsay

September 5, 2013

Hi (again!) Carrots N’ Cake readers!

It’s me, Lindsay, here with an update on the most super of all supermen, my fiancée Chad. For any of you that didn’t get the chance to read Chad’s incredible story, here’s the link: Cystic Fibrosis Sucks.

Last time we spoke, Chad was about 40 hours out from his double lung transplant after a long, tough road getting there. While I’d love to say it’s been a breeze and gone as scheduled since then, in truth, it hasn’t. Chad faced many challenges in the month prior to surgery, and as much as we hoped otherwise, he continued to face them afterwards.

Forty-eight hours or so after surgery, the nurses began the process of weaning Chad off of all of his sedative medications in order to wake him up. We were all so excited to tell him the news of his transplant! Unfortunately, because he was severely immunosuppressed (purposely, through medications) and susceptible to any and every bug and infection, his family and I were forced to stay outside the glass walls of his room for his safety. One of our most favorite nurses, Elisa, took care of him that day and as soon as he was awake enough to understand, she broke the news. We heard her tell him that he had new lungs…and although he was still groggy and a bit sedated, there was no mistaking his response: “No shit.” A very Chadly response, we were all so glad to know that our boy was still very much himself! The smile on his face each time he was reminded about his new lungs was priceless – just to see him smile again was the most amazing feeling.

image (3)

Only a few days into recovery, Chad’s new series of challenges began. Daily monitoring of his bloodwork showed that he was in acute renal failure. This was certainly not good news, but wasn’t surprising to anyone. Prior to the transplant, his kidneys had been affected by the severe infection in his blood, so going into surgery, they weren’t in the best shape. Surgery alone is a major stressor for the kidneys, not to mention everything else he had going on. The ICU team placed Chad onto a temporary dialysis machine to take the stress off of his kidneys and to help filter and remove toxic waste products from his blood. After just a few days on the machine, his kidneys bounced right back into action and have been going strong ever since!

About a week later, Chad’s doctors were still unable to wean him off of the ventilator. Upon closer look at his daily chest x-rays, they discovered that he had a small air leak in his right lung, a relatively common complication from the surgery. Again, they were not very surprised. Chad’s nutritional status going into surgery was very poor and his healing was greatly affected by it. The air leak was the result of a non-healing suture site and was likely the cause of much of his inability to breathe adequately off of the ventilator, therefore, it had to be fixed. So, after a few days of it not sealing up on its own, Chad was taken back to the OR, his incision re-opened, and the leak fixed. Chad returned to the ICU from surgery around 3am that day, and by 7am, it was obvious that something was not right. His blood pressure was extremely low and there was a large amount of blood coming out of his chest tubes. He was immediately taken back to the OR where they opened his incision again and searched around for the source of the bleeding. Thankfully, they found it quickly, and were able to stop it.

Over the next few weeks, things went pretty well. Chad started to make progress weaning from the vent, and was working daily with both physical and occupational therapy to get stronger and back to himself. Unfortunately, we encountered another bump in the road when one day, one of the chest tubes suddenly started to drain a very large amount of blood. A chest x-ray showed that Chad had another hemothorax (blood accumulated in his lung). Because he had known blood clots in both of his arms, he had been on a continuous infusion of heparin, a blood thinner. It was obvious that the heparin had caused the original bleeding site to begin to bleed again. When they discovered this, the heparin was shut off immediately, and after a few hours, the bleeding stopped. However, Chad still had a large accumulation of blood just sitting in his chest. It wasn’t really causing any problems, just taking up space that the lung would otherwise be able to occupy. Because it wasn’t really hurting him, the doctors gave the blood about two weeks to drain out of the chest tubes on its own. After that time though, it still had not drained, so they once again brought Chad to the OR to clean the blood out and finally give his new, healthy lung the chance to expand fully. Fortunately, all went well, and we hope that this was, and will remain his final trip to the OR!

Since that time, Chad has been doing well overall, but of course, there have been many more ups and downs. The “normal” transplant course puts patients out of the hospital and back at home about 3 weeks out of surgery, but because of how sick he was going into the transplant, his post-operative course has been much more complicated. He’s now dealing mostly with issues related to fluid balance in his body. The vasculature of his newly placed lungs is very “leaky” and he has had recurrent episodes of pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) requiring chest tubes to both be pulled out and put back in. This has proven to further complicate the process of weaning from the ventilator, but Chad continues to kick butt right through it all. Last week, he was transferred out of the ICU and onto a floor called the RACU – the respiratory acute care unit, an area of the hospital that specializes in weaning patients off of ventilators in complicated cases like his.

image (1)
    (Chad leaving the ICU after 2 months!)

Currently, Chad is asleep next to me, breathing all on his own (off of the ventilator!) through his tracheostomy. In the last week, he has made incredibly progress and has been able to spend far more time off of the ventilator than he ever could before. In fact, he has been off of the ventilator now for nearly 32 hours straight. A few hours ago he had a bronchoscopy done to clean out his new lungs, at which time they also took biopsies of his lung tissue to do routine tests to check for any signs of transplant rejection. He shows no outward signs, so here’s hoping all looks clean! In addition to making progress off of the ventilator, Chad has also been building his physical strength back. He can now walk all the way to the end of the hallway and will only get stronger with each passing day.

Once he is discharged from Mass General, Chad will have to go to a rehab facility here in the Boston area to continue intensive physical and occupational therapy before he can be cleared to go home. I will remain here with him throughout so that we can continue to provide each other with motivation, love, and support. Because we have been here for even longer than we ever could have expected, and will continue to be here for a while, there remains on us a definite financial strain. Chad’s amazing mother, Darlene, has been home in New York, working tirelessly to enable us to remain here. I don’t know what we would do without her. In addition, Chad’s friends have set up another online donation page to raise funds to help pay for the rest of our stay here. If you are able to help in any way, here is the link to the donation page: https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/fg03/chad-kiniry-s-lung-transplant-recovery-fund. Every little bit really does help! The donations that we received after my previous post helped immensely, and I want to thank you all SO much. There are no words to adequately describe how thankful I am for each and every one of you.

image

Please keep Chad, my superman, in your thoughts and prayers. He inspires and motivates me every minute of every day, and I hope that his story helps to do that for all of you as well.

image (2)

Hopefully the next time you hear from us, we will be back home, living our second chance at life together outside of the hospital. We can’t wait!

THANK YOU!!

xoxo Lindsay

Lisa September 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Wow, an absolutely incredible and eye opening story. So amazing that Chad is breathing on his own off the ventilator and building back strength each day. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers<3

Jackie September 5, 2013 at 3:42 pm

What an inspiring story! Stay strong chad!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm

That is an incredible story–we’re rooting for you Chad (and Lindsay)!! <3

Nicole N. September 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm

We love you Lindsay and Chad! Can’t wait for you both to come home.

Vicki September 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Although I do not personally know Lindsay, what an inpiration she is to be there for her hubby in the most difficult time. Praying for Chad to continue improving.

Lauren September 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm

So glad he’s doing better. Praying for you all.

Ed September 5, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hang in there guys! Strength is a powerful thing….

Tom T. September 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Quite the journey with much more ahead of you. Glad to hear things have gotten better. Best of luck in you fight back to good health.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Oh man, this made me tear up. What an amazing story! You’re in our thoughts and prayers Chad and Lindsay! xo

Tawny September 5, 2013 at 5:09 pm

What an incredible story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Tom T. September 5, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Played in the “Make CF Charity Classic” the past 3 years. People are out there trying to help find a cure. Keep fighting. http://makecfhistory.blogspot.com/

Katie SB September 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm

God Bless!

Kaylie September 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm

What an inspiring story! I am praying for him, you, and your family that he continues to do so well in recovering. I love his spirit AND yours- it’s so hard to be strong and support a loved one when they are going through something so big. I hope both of you are doing well!!!

kris September 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I’m so glad you came back to give us an update on how Chad is doing! Stay strong!! Both of you are truly inspiring!

Lauren September 5, 2013 at 6:34 pm

What a wonderful story, both of you are so strong! My Sister in Law had a double lung transplant the beginning of this year and had many similar complications that you listed. Now looking at her you would never know the surgery she went through at the beginning of the year! Keeping you in my thoughts.

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara September 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Its so great to read a follow up and how well Chad is coming along, despite all the bumps in recovery road. Certainly keeping this sweet couple in my thoughts and prayers!

Christina September 5, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I got chills and tears in my eyes reading about Chad’s update. An Amazing story and an amazing, strong couple who truly love each other.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats September 5, 2013 at 8:39 pm

What a wonderful and very inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.

Janie September 5, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I watched a documentary called Nova: Cracking Your Genetic Code. They talked briefly about curing cystic fibrosis with gene therapy. The documentary did not go into super detail but it may be something to look into for the future. The documentary can be found at http://video.pbs.org/video/2215641935/. I hope everything works out and I’m glad to hear Chad is recovering.

LiSa September 5, 2013 at 9:07 pm

What an amazing story! I am an employee at Mass General, so I’m 100% positive Chad is in the best care possible! My colleagues in the Department of Anesthesia are fantastic people. I wish you both the best!!! What a beautiful couple and inspiration you both are :)

Carrie September 5, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Lindsay, as nurse I must say you have some extensive medical knowledge! You wrote out the details beautifully! I had been anxious for an update since your first post. Love & Prayers to you both!

Lindsay September 6, 2013 at 12:45 am

@Carrie: Carrie, I may also be a nurse… :-) I was actually Chad’s nurse once upon a time!

Jody - Fit at 55 September 5, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Just WOW!!! Huge hugs! You have lots of support!

WreckshopRob September 5, 2013 at 10:32 pm

A reminder to cherish what you have in this life. Thoughts and prayers. Stay strong guys.

Cara @ The Vegan Barbie September 5, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I hope my little bit helps! Prayers coming your way

Candice September 6, 2013 at 8:24 am

Rock On! inspirational and powerful!

Rebecca Jo September 6, 2013 at 9:00 am

Truly a Superman!!!! Sending prayers of healing & recovery to Chad!!!! Prayers of patience & support to those who are supporting him!!!

LOVE the nurses cheering him on leaving the ICU…

I’m sure this journey is making him an even better man that will be able to help others in the future!!!! Its when we’re in storms that we become stronger!!!

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats September 6, 2013 at 10:09 am

Beautiful story Lindsay and Chad. I wish you continued success in your recovery!

Alyssa September 6, 2013 at 10:46 am

I’m so glad Chad is doing better! He sounds like quite the fighter. Keeping you both in my thoughts & prayers.

KateL September 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm

So glad you posted an update! I’ll keep you all in my prayers! I know you’ve gotten tons of offers of support, but I’ll throw out another one. I live in Boston (Roslindale) and am happy to open my house if you need shower/laundry/home cooked meal, etc. Reach out, we’re all here to help!

Taylor September 6, 2013 at 3:34 pm

This story is beyond touching. You all are in my prayers!

Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. September 8, 2013 at 11:43 am

Wow, amazing story. He’s definitely a superman! Wishing him a “super” speedy recovery!

eliza September 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

beautiful story and beautiful couple. I hope the best for both of you.

beth November 5, 2013 at 11:55 am

Chad and Lindsay- Your positive attitudes are inspirational. You are in my prayers and this reminded me to register as an organ donor which I am doing RIGHT NOW.

marie November 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I wanted to comment and let you know how inspiring your upbeat attitude is. My brother had a lung transplant 2 years ago, and contrary to what some may think, it’s not a cure all. As you know you trade one set of problems for another. It took a good year for him to even feel better, and now 2 years later he is doing really well. I also had another brother who died from CF when he was a few months old. Loved reading your story, hoping and praying for a healthy recovery for your fiancee and much support for you both.