• Last Week’s Workouts + “Fran” Rx

July 15, 2013

Hi, guys! Happy Monday! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

I love it when other bloggers recap their workouts for the week. I like seeing what they do for exercise and how they balance their various workouts and incorporate rest days, so I decided to recap last week’s workouts for all of you nice people. I also wanted to recap my most recent achievement, which is actually one of my biggest goals—if not the biggest—for 2013. I’m pretty pumped about it. With that said, here’s a recap of my workouts for last week!

Sunday: Off

Monday: CrossFit

wallballs medicine ball

AMRAP 15:
    10 Wallballs
    200m Run
    10 over-the-medball Burpees

This workout was really deceiving. It didn’t seem too bad, but, man, it was rough. My quads were burning, and I was seriously sucking wind by the end of it. The combination of the three exercises just hurt so bad. I was out running my 6th 200 meter when the clock went off, so got 5 rounds + 10 reps. It was an awesome workout, and I actually hope I see it again, which is NOT something I usually say about WODs! Haha! I dunno. For some reason, I liked this one.

Tuesday: Long walk with Murphy + 5 mile run

walk with murphy

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Spin class at The Handle Bar

the-handle-bar

Friday: CrossFit

photo (2) (600x600)

Do you see where I am going with this?

Friday was “Franday,” which means our box did “Fran.” You may have heard me talk about this workout on CNC a few dozens times in the past. It’s the CrossFit benchmark workout, so it’s a big deal and everyone gets pumped for it.

grumpy cat fran

It’s funny to think back to my very first Fran. I was brand new to CrossFit and had no idea what to expect. I scaled the workout—I used #35 for the Thrusters and a #3 band for the pull-ups— and I still remember finishing Fran and thinking: what the heck just happened? I couldn’t understand how a workout that took me less than 6 minutes to complete, took so much out of me. I also remember thinking there was no way in hell I’d ever be able to Rx Fran. Like never ever. After my first attempt, I actually set a goal for myself to do Fran at Level 1 because I truly thought 65-pound Thrusters and unassisted pull-ups were out of my reach.

Fast forward to five “Fran” attempts later…

fran Rx crossfit (450x600)

Yep, that’s right. I finally Rx-ed her, and I finished in 5:45.

It took me a year and half to do it, but all of my hard work finally paid off. Those 65-pound Thrusters were nothing! Ok, well, by the round of 9, I wanted to die, but I barely dropped the bar. The pull-ups were more of a struggle, and I ended up doing two at a time toward the end, but I had a string of 11 and 7 on the set of 21, so I was pretty happy about that.

Boy, I’ve come a long way since my first Fran. Check out my progress… just another reason why performance tracking is so important in CrossFit. You can see your gains in black and white!

photo (3) (600x450)

Awesome, right? I’ve been on a high since Friday. I still can’t believe I did it. Now, I want a sub 5-minute Fran! Proud but never satisfied!

Saturday: Off

Questions of the Day

What’s your typical weekly fitness routine look like?

Have you achieved any of your goals for 2013 yet?

joelle (on a pink typewriter) July 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Whooop- congrats! And love that: “Proud but never satisfied.” That line sums me up to a tee!

Alyssa July 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Congrats on RX-ing Fran!

Last week I started doing Les Mills Combat DVDs, so I just follow their calendar of which workout to do for each day. It’s such a fun & tough workout! Perfect combination. :)

Alex July 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Congrats! Love your tennis shoes in the pic of you and Murph…what are they?

Tina July 15, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    KaraHadley July 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Congrats on RXing Fran! And on doing it so freaking fast!
    I actually RXed my first girl last week — Jackie — which felt ah-maze-ing! But as soon as I was done I started thinking about doing it faster next time. hahaha, I love that about Crossfit.
    I can’t wait to see how you do on your next Fran.

Tina July 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Congrats! Jackie is a fun one! :)

Megan (The Lyons' Share) July 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Congratulations, Tina! I’ve only done one Crossfit class in my life, but even I know that that’s a huge accomplishment!

Liesl @ Fitnessinthekitchen July 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Wow, way.to.go! That is amazing.
    I would totally be on top of the world too. You’ve come so far and are so strong.

Kristin July 15, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Way to go Tina! As a new crossfiter you inspire me!! I love Crossfit and look forward to getting stronger and fitter!!!

Caitie @ twentytwofit July 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm

oh my gosh! I didn’t realize you did Crossfit, too! How on earth did I miss that??

I go to Crossfit 5 days a week. I will usually try and supplement that with 2-3 hot yoga classes on mornings when I have enough time and a 3-8 mile run on the weekends. Always have one day exercise-free! But usually end up getting restless and finding a fun hike or activity to do.

I actually haven’t found a blogger that does Crossfit regularly like you do, yet! Excited :D

Tina July 15, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Haha! How did you miss that?!? I talk about CrossFit non-stop (because I’m obsessed)! :)

Caitie @ twentytwofit July 15, 2013 at 4:48 pm

And I have to say CONGRATS on doing Fran Rx!!! I am still working up to kipping pull ups as opposed to using the band. You are giving me hope that I WILL eventually get it down :)

bridget July 15, 2013 at 6:00 pm

My weekly workouts are kickbox, bodypump and running 3 times a week with a long run on saturdays- training for the chicago marathon! it is pretty intense, but hopefully once I cross that finish line that will be my big fitness goal of 2013 :). I would love to try crossfit, but right now cant fit it in…ps- does everyone wear high socks and bootie shorts to crossfit? I notice that in all pictures! lol!

Tina July 15, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Ha! Not everyone! Personally, I’m only a fan of the high socks on deadlift and rope climb days. Every other day, they’re too hot! It’s all about personal preference, but some pieces of clothing are functional (like the socks)! :)

Mary July 15, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Tina, well done, it’s ok to be satisfied every now & then though, new challenges are always on the horizon!

Kay July 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Awesome congrats! It’s crazy how much you can do when you just try, ya know? I used to say I could not run.. this year I accomplished my goal of running a half marathon :)

Lindsay July 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I’ve started blogging my weekly workouts to keep me accountable and keep me hunting down new ways to get fit (I get bored very easily). I usually incorporate 2 group fitness classes: usually one is Zumba, the other a cardio/tone class, a hike, a long bicycle ride, and a run. I live in Hawaii, so I like to be OUTDOORS enjoying the area as much as I can.
    I never set big yearly goals, I stick to a month-by-month basis, but I’m pretty proud that we 1. Moved from S. Korea 2. Traveled across Europe in the process and 3. Are now setting up home in Oahu;) Most excited for the travels to come…reuniting with our friends and family “stateside”.
    2013 has been preeetttty awesome;)

Tina July 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm

You guys have done a lot!! Very cool! :)

Isabel A. July 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

How awesome! I did Fran for the first time last week- definitely had to modify! Bar only for thrusters and assisted pullups with a band. But you inspire me!! Where did you get that long sheet? I’d love to get one for the hubby and I!

Isabel A. July 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm

*log sheet!

padma July 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm

OMG nice job! I’ve been doing crossfit on/off for 4 months, but I’ve never even gotten close to RX-ing Fran or any of the WOD’s lately. I’m still trying to get the hang of these stupid double unders. Any tips?

Tina July 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Practice, practice, practice! Seriously. You’ll eventually get the rhythm. You can also try doing two singles and then one double under and seeing if you can string some doubs together.

Jess July 15, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Well done!!! I did a light Fran with just the bar as part of a warm up recently and that was tough! I can’t wait to build up my strength like you have. I feel like such a wimp sometimes!

Adrianna July 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm

GET IT GIRL!

Lindsay@LifeAfterDairy July 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Fran just came up for me last week … in my SECOND EVER crossfit class. But I have to admit, having seen you talk about her so many times made it less daunting. I did the scaled weight and used TWO bands for pullups (one green and one blue) and it still took me 13:09. But that just leaves me lots of room for improvement …

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

That’s so awesome Tina!! Good for you!!! You should feel so proud :)

Michelle July 24, 2013 at 1:45 am

Hey Tina – congrats – that’s a great time!! Where did you get your crossfit log book? I’m looking for something simple where I can track workouts.. I like the format of yours. thanks!

Tina July 24, 2013 at 6:21 am
    Michael McCann September 9, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I have been going to crossfit for the past three months, I was doing three days on one off as recommended. Now because of my schedule I do 5 days on two days off. I recently completed my first “Fran” workout at 7:03 with a weight of 65 on the thrusters and a combination of jumping/banded pull-ups.

I started kipping a few weeks ago and destroyed my hands. My goal is to do “Fran” rx October 5th because I am going to the level 1 certification class in Canton Ma.

I like forward to reading more of your post!

Cassie November 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I did my 1st Fran post pregnancy; both times RX’d but a 4 minute difference hahaha…I’m gunning for sub 5 too! I wish I had been looking at the clock and I think i could have hit it because I was 5:04…….oh well.