• Saturday Celebrations

May 12, 2013

Mal and I had two special occasions to celebrate yesterday: Mother’s Day and our friends’ engagement.

Yesterday, we had Mal’s parents over for a Mother’s Day barbeque, but, unfortunately, it rained all afternoon, so we had our celebration indoors. While we caught up, we enjoyed some drinks and appetizers in our living room.

003

The appetizers were courtesy of Trader Joe’s… simple and delicious!

001

While we chatted and simultaneously watched the Red Sox’s game, Murphy made himself comfortable on the couch in between my in-laws.

010

He totally took advantage of them.

007

009

A little while later, Mal and I cooked dinner, which was grilled BBQ chicken, burgers, roasted peppers, and veggie skewers with Brussels sprouts and mushrooms. (I just brushed the veggies with olive oil and added a little salt and pepper before putting them on the grill.)

017

019

Dinner came together in no time!

020

After dinner, I served some butterscotch chip cookies (recipe on Health next week), which were a huge hit with everyone. Hooray! Cookie success!

022

After dinner, Mal and I said goodbye to his parents and then headed into Boston for our friends’ engagement party at The Point.

024

029

All of our hometown friends were there, so it was great to see them and catch up.

025

As always, there were lots of laughs to be had!

026

Happy Mother’s Day to all of the moms out there!

030

What’s the next occasion that you will celebrate?

For me: Mother’s Day for my mom (today) and Mal’s birthday (May 23).

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) May 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

I can’t wait until we have a place of our own, so we can grill. Yum! I’m not sure what my next celebration will be. My sister’s birthday is on Friday, but we live too far away to celebrate together, which really bums me. Our next celebration will probably be our 5th anniversary in June.

Debbie from White Bear Lake May 12, 2013 at 11:08 am

Celebrated my son’s graduation from UMass yesterday and he’ll catch up with us on the Cape to celebrate Mother’s Day tomorrow! It’s been a little rainy, but still better than the snow we’re still getting back in Minnesota!

Jaclyn May 12, 2013 at 11:48 am

Mal and I have the same birthday!!

Tina May 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Great day!

Merbear@MakingOverMerbear May 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm

@Tina: @Jaclyn:
    @Tina:

Its my birthday, too!! :D :D

The next celebration (because its already Mother’s Day here) will be celebrating my birthday with my family a few days early on May 19th :)

Miranda @ Miranda Runs May 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Congrats to your friends on their engagement! That’s awesome :)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com May 12, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I think your rain travelled over the Atlantic as its reached the UK today! Our next celebration is next Saturday. We plan to have a garden party to celebrate my garden being ready for summer (well, minus the planting) and thank the friends who helped with it. No doubt it will rain but we’ll have fun whatever. Love Murphy’s poses!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 12, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Awh Murphy is so adorable. And that cookie looks fantastic!

The next occasion I’ll celebrate is Father’s Day, haha! And then after that, my mom, my dad, and my birthday are all within a month of each other, so I get to look forward to cake every day for 3 weeks. :D

Raymond May 12, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I love tortilla chips and eat a lot. But now I got the opportunity to make it myself. It’s not complicated but a bit tricky. But I can make it, once I’m mentally ready for it. It’s not that difficult to prepare something at home. Share some more interesting recipes so I can challenge myself to cook something different.

Shel@PeachyPalate May 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm

My brothers bday…22! The 3 year gap gets closer as we get older! :) Then my nieces 5th birthday! Feels like it was only yesterday she was born! So have to try BBQ Brussels!!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Those photos of Murphy between your in-lawse are hilarious! What a jokester!

Elisabeth May 12, 2013 at 2:31 pm

My birthday! (Tuesday 5/14) :D

Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Ha Murphy doesn’t appear to be shy! Happy Mother’s Day to you, Murphy is lucky to have such a great mom!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

We’re celebrating my first Mother’s Day over here today. :) My husband made me breakfast in bed, and I’m getting a pedicure later. Yay!

Tina May 12, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Happy Mother’s Day! :)

Kevin May 12, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for sharing the post. I agree with Katie’s comment about Murphy. Definitely not a shy guy:) Too funny!

Alyssa @ Road to RD May 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Those cheesesticks from TJ’s sound great! And Murphy is adorable!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate May 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Those cookies look yummy- cant wait for the recipe. Speaking of cookies and occasions, the next occasion I will be celebrating is national cookie day on May 15 (in just a few days)! I work at an assisted living home I get to bake cookies at work all morning long with the residents! Best day ever!

AJ May 12, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Your Mother’s Day dinner looks SO good! What a fun weekend! I’m not sure what my next celebration is…maybe a bachelorette party in July?

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

Ashley May 12, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Those veggie skewers look awesome but those pictures of murph are too funny! I love when dogs take advantage of people that arent used to the fact that once you start with the attention youre locked in!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Those veggie skewers look awesome!! As do the cookies. I cannot wait for the recipe! :)

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 12, 2013 at 6:43 pm

My fur babies got me a card and some little gifts–happy kitty mama’s day to me! (And happy dog mama’s day to you!) Next celebration is for a wedding next weekend. I hope it warms up by then!

Becky @ Olives n Wine May 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I think the next thing I will be celebrating is Memorial Day and then my husband’s birthday on June 22nd!

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut May 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Those veggie skewers look so good! I can’t wait for grilling season to get in full swing.
    The next occasion we’ll be celebrating is my husband’s PhD defense…assuming he passes. Fingers crossed!

Beth Sheridan May 12, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Oh me, the food on that grill looks wonderful! I don’t think there’s anything i enjoy more than summer outside time and food on the grill :)

The next holiday we will celebrate is my Andy’s birthday, which is Tuesday, and I think we are going to go out to the campground since my mom and dad are camping all week and enjoy some outside grilling time ourselves :)

Happy Dog Mother’s Day to you!

Karen May 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Mal and I share the same Birthday. That’s the next thing I will be celebrating! I am guessing we don’t share the same age. He looks younger than me :)

Karen

Luv What You Do May 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm

What a fun weekend!
    I can’t wait to see that cookie recipe!

She Rocks Fitness May 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Wine Festival weekend on Nantucket with a great friend who I haven’t seen in over a year! It’s time to catch up, gossip, drink and be merry. Cannot wait to get back on that island. A long weekend is just what I need and I consider that a celebration! ;)

Tina May 12, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Oooh, fun!!

Annie May 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Tina,
    I just want to point out that you have such a fabulous life. I’m super jealous :) I’ve been following your blog and I must say you’ve become somewhat of a role model to me. As a teenager recovering from an eating disorder and body image issues, I find your examples of healthy, natural eating without weird limitations very refreshing, inspiring, and comforting. I used to restrict my diet for days at a time, but after reading a bunch of your posts and seeing what you eat, I’ve realized that its possible to be fit and healthy without going on extreme purges/restrictions. I guess what I’m trying to say is… Thanks for having this blog. You’ve helped me without even realizing it :)

-Ann

Ella May 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Hey Tina! I was wondering what kind of grill you guys have. We just bought a house and are enjoying (kind of – and kind of hurting over) all the cool new things to get. We’re debating about whether or not you need to buy an expensive BBQ or if a $200 one will do the trick. Any thoughts?

Tina May 13, 2013 at 7:56 am

Ours is a Master Forge from Lowe’s and we really love it: http://www.lowes.com/pd_221380-95393-MFA350CNP_4294857754+4294850895_4294937087_ It was only $200, and we think it’s perfect for us. We occasionally have friends and family oven, and it’s definitely enough grill space to feed a group. It’s also super easy to use (lighting it, etc.).

Anne @strawberryjampackedlife May 12, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Our second wedding anniversary! We’re renting a cabin in the Smokies.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change May 12, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Dinner looked yummy! The next celebration over here is my husbands birthday (June 12)

Mary Kay May 13, 2013 at 1:51 am

Looks like fun! The next big celebration I’m planning is memorial day! yay! :)

Sarah @ Licorice & Olives May 13, 2013 at 4:57 am

There can never be enough photos of Murphy, I swear that dog is the funniest dog on the planet!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 13, 2013 at 7:07 am

That cookie and cake you had looked delicious!

I’ve got a friends birthday on Friday to celebrate up next.

Erika May 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

Murphy was in heaven! Lol he cracks me up

Tina May 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm

He’s a nut!

Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 13, 2013 at 11:45 am

I can’t wait for the recipe for those cookies — they look amazing! And oh, the pictures of Murphy are adorable. I love how he shamelessly soaks up the love and attention — that’s one of my favorite things about dogs. :) Lovely!

Beth May 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm

What a fun weekend you had!
    Next up for me: Memorial Day celebration with a camping trip to DE beach, then lucky 7th wedding anniversary! :)

Annette May 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I live in California, but my parents live in AZ. and they both had birthdays in May. Im visiting this weekend to celebrate both birthdays and Mother’s Day…then the hubby’s bday in June and my “oh lordy, I’m turning 40″ in July….cant wait for summer!!!

Chelsea May 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

My mom’s birthday is the first of June, with my niece’s and cousin’s the week after – it’ll be party packed, and that’s definitely the major next major social event on the horizon. I couldn’t be more excited, especially because the family always tries to find a way to get together!

PS: that grill full of food looks literally mouth-wateringly amazing :D

sunshine May 15, 2013 at 6:51 am

nice.

Dana May 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

That dinner looked awesome! So did your friends’ cake. :) The next celebration is a bbq at our house for Memorial Day Weekend on Saturday, and my cousin’s wedding on June 15th. I’m her Matron-of Honor. :)