• Run Eat Repeat {Lunch with Runner’s World}

May 15, 2013

Hi, friends!

My day started bright and early with a knock on my hotel room door from Monica, who arrived on a red-eye flight from California just 30 minutes earlier. I thought she might want to sleep after a long cross country flight, but she rallied for an early morning run. Monica said running helps her get back on schedule, so we put on our running gear and headed out for a run.

photo (3) (450x600)

Workout

We headed out of our hotel and ran toward Central Park. We only planned to run a few miles, but then we ended up running and walking the 6-mile loop, and it was glorious. I love running with Monica. We always have so much to chat about.

running_in_central_park_

Breakfast

After our run-walk in Central Park, Monica and I hit up Whole Foods for breakfast. I had no idea they had a breakfast bar. What a nice surprise! (Yes, I get really excited about breakfast.)

photo (4) (450x600)

I ended up getting a piece of broccoli quiche, roasted potatoes, and some fresh fruit for breakfast.

photo (2) (450x600)

I also ordered a decaf iced coffee with almond milk. FYI: Whole Foods has awesomely strong and flavorful iced coffee.

photo (1) (450x600)

After breakfast, Monica and I headed back to our hotel room, where we showered and prettied ourselves for a full day ahead. We had a lunch meeting scheduled with a couple of people from Runner’s World in about an hour, so we decided to walk to the restaurant instead of talking a taxi so we could do a little sightseeing along the way.

Hello, Times Square!

Lunch

Monica and I met David Tratner, Senior Director of Corporate Communications, and Laura Beachy, Public Relations Coordinator, of Runner’s World for lunch at Gente’s, an Italian Restaurant on the East side.

For lunch, I ordered the salmon with steamed veggies on the side. The salmon was excellent—I loved the spice rub on top!

For dessert, Monica and I shared a chocolate “Bomba,” which was chocolate and vanilla ice cream covered in a chocolate shell. I felt pretty stuffed after eating lunch, so I only had a few bites of the Bomba, but it was really good! I mean, how could chocolate and ice cream not be good, right?

I finished off the meal with a small latte. The caffeine was just what I needed for a little afternoon pick-me-up.

During our lunch, the four of us talked about blogging, social media, and how bloggers can best work with Runner’s World. Runner’s World has some really cool ideas in the works, so it was great to hear about them and bounce some ideas around.

More NYC adventures to come!

Questions of the Day

What’s your favorite running resource (magazine, website, blog, etc.)? Where do you typically find the most helpful running information and news?

Beth Sheridan May 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Oh I’m so jealous! My first visit to NYC EVER was last month and I absolutely LOVED it.

Runner’s World and The Food Network Magazine are the only two magazines I have a subscription to and I really like looking online at Women’s Health and then lots of blogs :)

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Love seeing the pics from NYC! I used to work right around the corner from Gente and took a couple of Paralympic athletes there for dinner when we were doing PR for them. Very cool that you met with Runner’s World :-)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I love reading blogs and Women’s Health as well as running event websites to find information.

I so want to visit New York one day and Times Square it looks amazing :)

Katie @ Live Half Full May 15, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I can’t wait to hear more about these project with runners world!!! Sounds intriguing!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 15, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I am equally excited by the fact that Whole Foods has a breakfast bar. And delicious, strong iced coffee? Making it a priority to try that out asap.

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut May 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Runner’s World is definitely my favorite resource for running information. I LOVE their online shoe guide–it has been a life saver in terms of finding the right shoe for my weirdo feet.

Renee May 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

OMG! Is that Kevin from the Office?? Just remove the hair. I look at that picture and I can just hear him saying something so hilariously Kevin.

eileen ann May 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm

i am doing a 10K training program through Fleet Feet in west hartford Ct, they send emails with info once or twice a week, also my daughter and i read runners world so looking forward to what they will be doing.

Miranda @ Miranda Runs May 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I’m so glad you had fun with Monica! I HAD NO IDEA WHOLE FOODS HAD A BREAKFAST BAR! Um delicious, much?!

eileen ann May 15, 2013 at 9:09 pm

oh you should try to run over the GW bridge while you are there, my daughter and i did it and it was really cool

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Fun! I love NYC and this just makes me crave a trip soon! :)

Elle @ The Clean Project May 15, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I love Runner’s World. I always use their training plans and race finder. It would be very cool if they got more involved with bloggers.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I didn’t know Whole Foods had a breakfast bar, either! I’ll have to check it out one day. The Bomba looks insanely good. You can never go wrong with ice cream and chocolate.

I typically find the best tips from the internet, honestly. Google is a wonderful resource. ;) I don’t really read running tips for the heck of reading them, but I have enjoyed my fair share of issues of Runner’s World. :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Whole Foods has a breakfast bar?? Now that sounds dangerous!! ;)

Katie Thieman@ SarcasticallyKatie May 15, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I love what you’re wearing in the last picture! The teal with the black and white striped sweater looks really good! Looks like New York is a blast!

michelle kim May 15, 2013 at 11:56 pm

For anything running related, it’s definitely Runner’s World!

Jessica May 16, 2013 at 12:28 am

Hey! I’m in NYC right now! And was walking through Central Park this morning too! How funny would that have been had we run into each other?! Enjoy your time! We are having an amazing trip thus far!!!

Shel@PeachyPalate May 16, 2013 at 3:15 am

Other blogs, from those who run and have the real life every day experiences. I simply need to go back to New York…this post is a sign :)

Jenny Anderson May 16, 2013 at 3:28 am

I love Runner’s World too! It’s a handy resource. But like Beth says, a google search is generally the best. I live in Singapore so we have some local running sites, but I tend to google for more specific questions and race info.

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy May 16, 2013 at 7:34 am

Looks like so much fun! My favorite place to get info is on blogs. I feel like I know the people so I take their advice over people I don’t know. I feel that blogs are “real people” that learn from experience.

Linda @ running4two May 16, 2013 at 7:52 am

I always get so hungry reading your blog. I get a lot of running info from blogs (of course!), magazines (Runner’s World, Women’s Health), and from websites like active.com.

I have been to NY several times but I’ve never spent the night and have never run in Central Park…it’s definitely on my list of things I would like to do :).

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 16, 2013 at 8:01 am

I actually get some really good running info from blogs – especially about injury prevention and strengthening, which is what I’ve been needing lately!

Phil May 16, 2013 at 8:02 am

Just an FYI if you go to any of the Whole Foods closer to home (Hingham & Dedham,MA) you have to get the bacon from the breakfast bar, it is by far the best bacon of all time. I had to chase down one of the workers to find out the maker and it is Wellshire Farms dry rubbed they sell it in packages and in the butcher counter.

Tina May 16, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thanks for the tip! I <3 bacon! :)

sara @ fitcupcaker May 16, 2013 at 8:03 am

NYC looks so fun…I have always wanted to go there but havent made it yet…one day! What a beautiful day for a run! I need to increase my mileage, slowly but surely!

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

All the best running info comes from blogs. In my mind its not even a contest. Magazines have become very ad based, and when Im looking for specific information, i can always find it on one my favorite blogs.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

I love NYC! I wish we went more often though! Your lunch looks sooo and the chocolate bomba…yummy!

Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 at 8:25 am

The WF breakfast bar is the best! I used to hit that up waaaaaaay too often, but oh, I have some fond memories of the eggs, fruit, and coffee. :)

Have a fantastic day in NY!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) May 16, 2013 at 8:51 am

Looks like you’re having a blast.. I love NYC!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change May 16, 2013 at 9:13 am

I love getting my info from Runners World (magazine and the web), Competitor.com, and RunningTimes.com. I also use a lot of the running blogs for info as well!

Stephanie May 16, 2013 at 9:20 am

WAS GENTE GOOD??? It is literally 1 block from my apartment and I have never eaten there…It would be a very convenient Italian restaurant to visit.

Tina May 16, 2013 at 10:03 am

I thought it was pretty good! The salmon was delicious!

Jenny@thewellnessjourney May 16, 2013 at 10:01 am

I LOVE my Runners World subscription! Between that, my Oxygen Magazine, and Clean Eating Magazine– I’m set. Excited to hear more about what’s in the works!

Maureen May 16, 2013 at 10:43 am

I would say that the Runners’ World website is my go to resource for all things running. I also like the FitSugar website as well.

beth May 16, 2013 at 10:53 am

Awww so fun to see! That is my morning routine…thats my run and my whole foods! If only you lived here we might have another buddy to add to our morning fun! hope your trip was a blast!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hi Times Square!! Such a fun place!! :)

Sara Flynn May 16, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I track my steps each day with jawbone, and your day must have reached like 30,000 steps! 6 mile run/walk then walking to lunch! good job! I would say blogs and websites like Womens Health. I never visited the website runners world, so I may just have to do that now! :)

Ashley @ BrocBlog May 16, 2013 at 1:49 pm

SHUT UP it’s Beachy! So weird to see someone I’m friends in real life on here!

MsOverWELLmed @ OverWELLmed.com May 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I get Runner’s World and think it is the best running magazine out there (though I wish there were more that were on par, Women’s Running and Running Times just don’t do it for me)– I think the RW site is great with lots of awesome info, though I wish they had more training tools etc. free for use, and were synced up to sites like MapMyRun… probably my other favorite running/fitness websites right now are http://www.toneitup.com and http://greatist.com/fitness

Liana@RunToMunch May 16, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Aww I miss NY.

Being a runner addict I prefer Running Times over Runner’s World (although both are one company). I find Runner’s world focuses too much on dieting and weight loss which is great but not my reason for running. Running Times tends to be a bit more runnerd and technically (lack of a better word) focusing from high school track stars to masters runners.

Lindsay May 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Sounds like an awesome experience! I’m on Runner’s World site everyday!

Chelsea May 16, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Runners world?! I can’t wait to hear all about it! Not to mention – I’m in love with basically any pay-by-pound breakfast bar. Mostly because I LOVE breakfast more than almost any other thing to eat :)

Karen :0) May 16, 2013 at 10:51 pm

How much fun is that! So glad you are having a great time! My favorite running magazine is Women’s Running/Runners World! :0)

Denise P. May 17, 2013 at 11:40 am

Can’t wait to see what’s ahead from Runners World.

Looks like you had lots of good times with So Cal’s favorite red headed runner.